Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
A Manhattan is a good and tasty drink. Probably my second favorite drink, behind my beloved sazerac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
When I get bored, I do drunken science experiments. Manhattans were something I looked into for a bit, and this is what I came back with. I shoot for a final ABV of around 30%, so my proportions are 2oz of the Rittenhouse Rye, and .9oz of Vermouth. I also use two dashes of bitters and an expressed clementine peel.

A lot of people like buying store-bought vermouth, and while there is a lot of good stuff out there (punt e mas and antica formula immediately come to mind), you can do it better and cheaper if you do it on your own:

This was my last endeavor. Over the course of about 2 years, I ran roughly 2,000 food and beverage ingredients through the GC:MS and LC:MS, ultimately, I came back with aromatic matches that worked well with Rye whiskey. I'd have to pull up my notebook for all of the ingredients I used in this vermouth, but I know the final cost came out to $8.50 for 750ml, which is far below the price of even the cheapest vermouth. The biggest price factor in this is what you decide to cut the fortified wine with in the end. You can go all balls out if you're drinking it by its own, but I found that a cheaper amontillado works super well in a Rittenhouse manhattan. I use the expressed clementine peel since it's a much better aromatic match than the orange peel, but orange peel also works (i use it a lot when clementines are hard to find). I've been using the glycerin-based fee brothers, whiskey barrel aged, old fashioned bitters. You can use whatever though. I putting two dashes of the bitters into a metal spoon then blowtourching the bitters as the heat changes the glycerin structure quite a bit making it pretty drat awesome.

I also smoke my manhattan with applewood because I think it rounds out the flavor a bit and applewood is a superb aromatic match with rittenhouse. I've fooled around with at least two dozen ways of infusing the smoke into the cocktail, but the best method I've found is to through your chilled, base cocktail into decanter, funnel the smoke in, and once its filled with smoke, cap off the decanter. Give it 2-3 shakes, and strain into the serving glass. Once in the glass, flame the clementine peel and toss in. Yes, I'm using punt e mas today because i'm out of my homemade vermouth :rip:

final product:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm drinking white ladies tonight.
2oz of jensens old tom gin
1/2oz cointreau or pierre ferrand dry curacao (the pierre ferrand is better for this drink imo, but i'm out)
1/2oz lemon juice
1 x egg white using dry shaking

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

M_Gargantua posted:

oh nice i gotta try that tomorrow, don't have pierre ferrand either but cointreau will work

putting egg in anything but nog sounds weird but good

you don't really taste it at all, it's more for adding a frothy texture. Its honestly what I love about the drink so much. usually go with whiskey sours when i want a frothy drink, but it was 90 degrees out today and the weather definitely called for gin

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

mormonpartyboat posted:

well hell darlin i just got back from the store and im missing most of the everything

guess i can do a southern bbq drink to make up for it

gonna do sorta like a whiskey sour i think

1.5 oz bourbon
2 oz beef stock
.5 oz bbq sauce
a pinch of chipotle
a pinch of marmite

here we goooo

:thunk:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Business Gorillas posted:

i spent memorial day weekend in new orleans and i found out about sazeracs and absinthe :toot:

sazeracs are the best

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Price for most Bourbon is under $50, it's availability of the good bourbons that is an issue. Id guess of the sub $50 that you might still be able to find, Elmer T Lee would be a good bet.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Epic High Five posted:

Russel's Reserve 10 year it is then

RR has become my new daily sipper as of late and it's super delicious :discourse:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Vox Nihili posted:

Koreans are crazy drinkers

2013 data based on 1.5oz servings of liquor consumed per capita~

South Korea — 11.2 shots/week
Russia — 5.0 shots/week
Thailand — 4.8 shots/week
Poland — 4.0 shots/week
Japan — 3.6 shots/week
Philippines — 3.5 shots/week
Bulgaria — 3.3 shots/week
Slovakia — 3.0 shots/week
Ukraine — 2.8 shots/week
France — 2.7 shots/week

2017 data based on 1.5oz servings of liquor consumed per capita~

Nite Crew — 47 shots/week
South Korea — 11.2 shots/week
Russia — 5.0 shots/week
Thailand — 4.8 shots/week
Poland — 4.0 shots/week
Japan — 3.6 shots/week
Philippines — 3.5 shots/week
Bulgaria — 3.3 shots/week
Slovakia — 3.0 shots/week
Ukraine — 2.8 shots/week
France — 2.7 shots/week
Day Crew — 17 glasses milk/week

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
JTS Brown Bottled in Bond is so drat good. $12 a bottle too. Just switched to that after my $30 Russel's Reserve 10 year and drat is it so much smoother and 6 proof higher. I hate that KY won't export this poo poo out of their state...

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

hip thrusts! hip.thrust.txt.

also:

lookit what i been drinkin'!

cross posted from iron chef thread:

ranch seasoning and sugar are on the rim, and it's and orange lime gin and tonic

I've been wanting to get into gin and tonics but I've been too lazy to make my own and the stuff I usually find in stores is terrible. Should I cave and make my own tonic or is there high end stuff I can buy for cheap?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

i get crappy tonic

but, i have seen nicer options at whole foods

i had a lavender tonic once that was just lovely :3:

e: i'm sorry it was dry lavender soda that i had but, i have bought high quality tonic from WF, so i'm gonna look for it on the net

i have seen and am intrigued by this:

i bought the q, but the above is cheaper, i believe

Ahhh, Fever Tree. Ive seen a couple places uses that and I forgot the name (but remember the bottle). Fever Tree I liked a bit... You like Q more? I love all things lavender too...

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

curufinor posted:

also the flavorings in soju are 100% proprietary and p. iconic in korea
also incredibly hangover-inducing
it's like saying "i have a bunch of coca leaves and kola nuts here, you can make coca-cola with that, carbonated water and some corn syrup right"

i couldn't drink soju anymore because it'll give me a hangover no matter how much i drink :rip:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for the fever tree recommendation. The elderflower one is particularly good, especially if you throw some st germains in it

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
This is what I did all of yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

M_Gargantua posted:

what is that creamy and delicious looking base for your trash can?

Coronaritas. Basically a margarita, a Corona and a grand marnier

• Locked thread