Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Hmmm... someone didn't get the memo. I've been watching the blu-ray set of the new season, and the disc icon for every disc except the third says "Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series". Disc 3's icon says "Twin Peaks Season 3".

Somebody gettin' fired!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In the Carrie Page timeline it's called Season 3 obv. Its only in our timeline that its A Limited Event Series.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Even more powerful afterward, when you realize he’s the Leland from the timeline where she went missing. The amount of stuff that clicks on rewatch is crazy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I rewatched Fire Walk with Me, just some thoughts about it:

Garmonbozia is something like Lacan's jouissance, pleasure-pain that's caused by the pursuit of something that one lacks, but enjoys the lack of at the same time. Creamed corn looks like gold, and it functions like a kind of currency among the BL spirits, similar to how companies pray on people's desires by offering them unattainable products (like impossible beauty, impossible love etc suggested by advertisement) in the pursuit of profit, jouissance economics. This makes sense to me wrt the scene in season 3 where the drug addicted girl takes a hit and basks in this kind of creepy golden glow, feeling pleasure and suffering at the same time. Desire sustains samsara, the endless cycle of suffering caused by attachments, which is the opposite of the epicurean Cooper, who just wants simple coffee and donuts and stuff and doesn't form passionate attachment (and when he does, BOB can prey on him). Similarly the townspeople can't just accept Laura's death and move on, because of the jouissance-attachment to her memory, like when Bobby cries his rear end off when he even just sees her picture, and her theme song plays.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's been since it came out so I can't remember much but can someone explain the significance of "Leland from the timeline where she went missing" I am sorry for being so stupid

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s what happened after Coop hosed with the timeline and tried to rescue Laura causing her to get magicked away

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still don’t get it

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I think the implication is that the Leyland trapped in the Redroom is not a murderer.

I could be totally wrong about that and I don’t know what it means beyond that because loving Twin Peaks man.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah I realize asking for an explanation is futile here but since so many people seemed to have a eureka moment it seems like there's something there that I don't grasp

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

When we see Leland and he says “Find Laura”, we’re assuming he’s the Leland from the original show timeline, the one who murdered Laura. When Coop finally gets out of the lodge, he does just that, finds Laura.

But in doing so, he creates the new timeline where Laura isn’t murdered, she just disappears. Leland never kills her.

Because of the time fuckery of the lodge, what we’re getting is actually the Leland from the new timeline, a father who asks the FBI agent to find his lost daughter.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ingmar terdman posted:

It's been since it came out so I can't remember much but can someone explain the significance of "Leland from the timeline where she went missing" I am sorry for being so stupid

In the opening episodes Laura is extracted screaming from the Red Room and in the closing episodes she is extracted screaming from the night where she's due to be murdered after Cooper leads her away. Each of these are followed with Leland in the Red Room urging Cooper to find Laura. People are for some reason deciding on the second one being the 'authentic' context, even though the finale pretty much fucks the idea that Cooper created some discrete separate timeline in waking reality, let alone one that applies in the Lodge.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah I realize asking for an explanation is futile here but since so many people seemed to have a eureka moment it seems like there's something there that I don't grasp

heres one from fire walk with me

when mike is at the intersection screaming ''... It's HIM! It's YOUR FATHER!!! " hes talking about robertson

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they're showing FWWM at one of the Alamo theatres in Dallas tonight

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
It's also interesting that even though Laura went missing in the new timeline, Leland most likely still molested her up until that point, so he's not innocent. But when he said "i never killed anyone", does Theresa Banks somehow survive in this timeline?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/sho_twinpeaks/status/1047538255955222530?s=21

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I definitely posted in this thread that a Lynch VR experience would be baller as hell

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 3, 2018

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShaneWatch/status/1047498929607069697

This guy is in business development/indie games for Playstation, posted this a few hours ago.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
David Lynch Make A Video Game

hideo better finish death stranding soon lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Apparently it's not coming to PSVR, from what I read?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Roommate was playing Fallout and, huh, 1:45-1:55 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzvZE4BY0hY&t=105s

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Eh... Both kinda sound a bit like Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings at times, if you really wanna go in that direction - which not coincidentally was used to great effect by Lynch in The Elephant Man it's worth noting

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 5, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is the real David Lynch connecting thread btw Twin Peaks and Season 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMehuZo3x8

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm doing my first rewatch of Seasons 1 & 2 and not skipping the James on his own scenes like I did on my original watch and oh my god why

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

iSheep posted:

I'm doing my first rewatch of Seasons 1 & 2 and not skipping the James on his own scenes like I did on my original watch and oh my god why

James on the road is probably the only part of S2 I would throw out entirely.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. I think it’s probably the only bit of Twin Peaks that isn’t at least interesting.

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!
I removed all of the James on the road scenes from my files. Season 2 is so much more enjoyable now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

disco_stu posted:

I removed all of the James on the road scenes from my files. Season 2 is so much more enjoyable now.
Note: James died on the way back to his home planet

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
James is cool. He's always been cool.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Lynch pulls his “wayward young lad oozing with cool who beds women that are old enough to be his mother” trope quite a bit and I wonder how much of it is from personal experience.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Wild At *Fart*

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Lynch pulls his “wayward young lad oozing with cool who beds women that are old enough to be his mother” trope quite a bit and I wonder how much of it is from personal experience.

No idea, but Lynch was rather a cutie-pie in his younger days; he could have managed it.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How can one man be so amazing. I don’t understand.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

His biography doesn't mention it at all, he was a pretty dork in highschool and wore suit jackets all the time. In college he was in a relationship and pretty much stayed in one (different ones) for the rest of his life. I don't really get the sense from his book that he was that type, but I dunno.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

he writes those characters so he can live all those experiences he missed out on vicariously through them, same with robert loggia's road rage scene in lost highway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Take the “Get Real” pledge alongside me and swear to never read or post in this thread using a loving phone. Namasté.