Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

So Michael J Anderson (Man from Another Place) has apparently gone completely off the deep end and is trashing TP and Lynch on social media. His Facebook is full of pro-Trump stuff and its unfortunate that he won't be a part of the show.

Last year he was accusing Lynch of raping his own daughter and murdering Jack Nance...

http://www.alternativenation.net/michael-j-anderson-accuses-twin-peaks-filmmaker-david-lynch-of-being-a-pedophile-rapist-murderer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Monglo posted:

I remember watching the show as a child, had the scariest nightmares from it.
Couldn't really get into it when trying to rewatch it as an adult though.
Maybe this will give me an incentive to try again.
But in the case I don't, is it okay to start watching the new season without much prior knowledge of the first seasons?
Like, I know the outline of the story, but the characters, I probably wouldn't be able to recognize.

I don't think anybody knows yet. Given the huge amount of returning cast, and the fact that Laura Palmer's murder seems like it will still be a main plot point, I'd be inclined to say no.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait so I signed up for the 30 day free trial through the Shotime iOS app but I went to download the PS4 app and I don't see it listed. Is it only available if you sign up for Vue and then sign up for Shotime through Vue? :negative:

Yeah, there's no showtime app. And even when you have Vue, you can't use on demand content. You can't even DVR Showtime on there.

You can use your Vue+showtime login to sign in to Showtime Anywhere on other devices, though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drat, that clip looked high quality. I gotta get that blu-ray set.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well, this certainly has a different feel than Twin Peaks did.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Okay that tree is the most lynch-y thing ever.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Oh drat, I didn't know Bowie was set to return. :(

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Reportedly Bowie died before he could film:
https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/arts/2016/05/11/dallas-actor-returns-to-twin-peaks

I'm anxious to see what tone the series takes once it moves back into Twin Peaks. I like the quirky personalities and melodrama to break up the seriousness. The first two eps were, like, 100% tense and disturbing, aside from a couple Lucy lines. I mean, if that's what the whole series ends up being, I would probably be okay with it. It's just not what I was expecting at all.

Is Hawke going to be teaming up with Cooper and have a main role? That would be cool.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The worst effect shot was the murder victim in the apartment. The side shot looked like poo poo, and I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I'm not quite sure why people watching a film see unreal things that don't ever happen or exist in reality and then complain that it doesn't look realistic. I think the point with a lot of Lynch effects is it isn't supposed to look real because it isn't.

Are we supposed to assume there is something else going on with the body in the bed, and that's why it looked unrealistic?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Consider the following. Bobby...

-Has white hair now
-Strange crying outburst in public
-Had relations with Laura
-Is named BOBby.

Cooper's Doppleganger's Haircut is a distraction. BOB has possessed Bobby.

Have they said his name in the show yet? Maybe he goes by Bob now. :ohdear:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

astronautism posted:

Yeah, but the odd thing is she's listed as literally "Ronette Pulaski" in the x-ray information. Dunno if that was a slip by whatever system they use to create the x-ray data, or if it was accurate info that they were trying to keep ambiguous in the credits.

I bet that is a mistake on Amazon's part. If the consider this Season 3, then they already have her character info in the system.

I mean, it seems likely that the casting is no coincidence, but I wouldn't read much into that credit.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

What are the odds of the real Sherrif Truman showing up?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

Well, everything for the past two years has talked about him declining to return, because he's retired. If he did return it would be completely unexpected. So...who knows?

Oh, was he out there saying that? I seem to remember him saying he was excited to return, and then he was surprisingly absent from the cast list.

It is kind of weird that they went out of the way to say "there's two Sherrif Trumans!" instead of just recasting.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

It was bugging the hell out of me, who the woman the hitmen called looked like. Especially her mouth and expressions, I couldn't put my finger on it but they looked so familiar.

Looked up the actress and I still don't recognize her per se, but her pics made me realize she looks loving EXACTLY like Chloe from 24.

E: I'm drunk and have no particular point to make, just happy I figured it out.

If it makes you feel any better, I thought that was Mary Lynn Rajskub for a bit, too. This is exactly the type of show she would show up for two episodes in.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Either there was a dopplebriggs leaving prints in 16 different places, or they have found16 copies of Briggs' body

I assume the way the pentagon guy was talking that the other bodies were all false hits, whatever that means to them. So maybe they are doppelgangers but have a different blood type or teeth or something else they use to verify his identity.

It didn't seem like they were talking about prints LEFT at crime scenes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

There's some big fan theory that Dougie is in like 2007 a la housing crash but I think that's kind of dumb

Like they base it off of that one blackberry and in the same scene there's a computer with Windows 7 running

But every other computer I've seen on the show appears to be running Windows 7 as well

And guess what - businesses and government still commonly use Win7. And in 2007 they used XP. That's a dumb theory.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wait... the old man was Harry Dean Stanton, right? Why was he in Twin Peaks? I thought Theresa Banks was killed... somewhat far away, which is where his trailerpark was.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Basticle posted:

Deer Meadow is in Oregon (OR EE GON), Twin Peaks is supposed to be near the Canadian border.

I've been thinking about why Harry Dean Stanton was in Twin Peaks. Did they sort-of retcon the town locations in FWWM? Because Laura and Ronette seemed somewhat close (personally) to Teresa, and they both went down to Deer Meadow when Leland arranged to meet Teresa. It made me assume the towns were close by, until I remembered that's supposed to be in Oregon and Twin Peaks is near Canada. That's quite a ways for Laura to be traveling regularly.

I may be misremembering the movie, but it seems like Lynch is wanting us to think these towns are closer together than originally planned.

edit: I didn't see the post above about the new book. That settles it, then.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

"Hey! Has anybody seen Bing?"

This is right. And according to the credits, "Bing" is Riley Lynch, who was apparently one of the end-of-episode musicians earlier this season? I'm curious if that goes anywhere.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The diner sure gets a lot of patrons for it being after the bar's closing time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

head58 posted:

I wonder if the Diane role was originally written to be Annie but changed when Heather Graham didn't want to do it.

Eh, Heather Graham has actually said that she would have been in the new season had she been asked. And it's not like Lynch needed an excuse to put Laura Dern in as a major(?) character.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

With regards to Diane, I read it very differently. She and Coop were obviously very close, and whatever the specifics of what happened between them the last time they saw each other, I thought it was a good memory for Diane, from before Coop left for Twin Peaks. That's why she reacted so harshly to Evil Coop, she recognized that he's not the same person. I think her anger and resentment towards all things Coop has more to do with how hard him vanishing must have been for her. If Evil Coop had paid her a visit 25 years ago I imagine most likely she would've told someone at the FBI (not a certainty, but presumably she didn't immediately quit and would've known they were looking for him). I also don't think she would emphasize to Gordon that something's missing in Evil Coop if she was sitting on 25 years of already knowing Evil Coop exists - at that point those bad memories would have maybe overtaken the good ones. She's holding on to the memory of Good/Real Coop, and that's why she was so shaken up.

I guess we'll find out when she has that talk with Gordon.

Those are all great points. I figured evil Coop did something terrible to her before disappearing, but it did seem like Diane only took a minute to recognize that he wasn't the same person. So why wouldn't she have recognized it back then?

EDIT: on second thought... I don't know when that meeting could have taken place if that were the case. Cooper became evil at the end of his stay in Twin Peaks, and I don't think he was leaving and returning during the original series.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 19, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Well, yes and no. Lynch said he wanted 13-15 episodes. They told him he could get 8-10 episodes and about half(?) the proposed budget, and he told them to go gently caress themselves. Frost went with Lynch in solidarity. Twin Peaks fans let out a giant cry, Showtime scrambled, deals were made, and then it was announced we'd get 18 episodes and Lynch had full creative control. It was, what, a years worth of anticipation over if it was even going to happen?

Just imagine if we got new Twin Peaks without Lynch/Frost, which apparently was the plan if Lynch fell through.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cooper looks in the mirror and says "good, you're still with me". There are not two people in that cell, therefore I think Bob is in Evil Cooper's body.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

oh poo poo!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

lol at this guy looking slightly annoyed/confused at all the ghost dumpster men.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The rest of this is credits while THE Nine Inch Nails plays a 40 min song.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I usually poo poo on Lynch's special effects but I love this shot.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

MWT isn't a real time zone MY IMMERSION

Actually it was back in the 40s :v:
https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/usa/phoenix?syear=1925

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I think Frost just took a day off for this episode.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I really didn't expect this series to surprise me with a WTF episode like the original series did with the first Red Room scene. I can understand why Lynch likes the one ep/week format. When you're throwing something like this out there in the middle of the season, you want everybody to be talking about it at once.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Turdfuzz posted:

is this how teens talked back in the long long ago

It might be how Lynch talked in 1956.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Section 9 posted:

Leland and Sarah?

Sarah is the virgin Mary.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The average human eats 7 frogroaches in their sleep every year.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That sure was an episode.

edit hahaha "The" nine inch nails

wa27 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 26, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

redreader posted:

I can't remember exactly when in the episode it happened, but, did anyone else see a goatse at some point? I think maybe it was when the giant exudes laura palmer's soul? The yellow formed like horizontal lines that looked like fingers, on either side of a hole. If it wasn't that it was in the sky somewhere at some point... Anyone else? Twin peaks: goatse edition?

I must admit I had the same thought when watching, when the yellow stardust was coming out of the giant's head. It wasn't quite obvious enough to post about though. :v:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Has anyone come up with the theory that James' motorcycle accident was prior to the original series? That's what I'm going with.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drat Cooper, learn T9word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Audrey going to show up soon?