Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Apparently it's the two hour premiere and then the next two episodes are available online immediately after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Man, gently caress the haters, Ben Horne getting over his psychosis by having the South win the Civil War is such a perfect dick move. I love it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm a fan of the Civil War plot AND Nadine and Mike.

Same.

It's the Billy Zane poo poo and the Packard Sawmill "intrigue" I don't much care for in season two.

Plus, it goes without saying, James. But they at least had the sense to ship him off before the end.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

The side story with James in S2 is clearly the low point of the series for me, but generally speaking I like James as a character and think that James Marshall's acting was pretty good. Holy poo poo, you are right about Billy Zane though. I didn't remember just how awful he was until watching again this time around.

Weirdly, I like James Marshall too and I'm glad he's in the new series, but I'm way less forgiving of his character. I find him pretty useless once he's basically ruled out as a suspect (give or take a throwback hit recorded in a living room).

I kinda feel the same about Zane. I like him in other stuff but he has absolutely nothing to work with in Twin Peaks. He's just there as a temporary distraction to keep Audrey from Cooper, I guess. At least they let her do something cool in the finale.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

My favourite thing in Twin Peaks is the weird, psychic waves that happen when poo poo is going down. The tremors people get in the last few episodes leading up to the finale. Mostly the wave of sorrow that washes over Donna, Bobby and Cooper when Maddy is being killed. I liked that, it's a cool way of showing how connected the town is with all their poo poo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, had Ben Horne been a little later you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart. He was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War, he said, "There's no reason for this."

Chairman Capone posted:

This is maybe my favorite scene in the entire show. There's just something so visceral and uncomfortable about it, especially as it strikes Cooper after he thinks that he's gotten the murderer and realizes that he's failed to stop it from happening again.

Yeah, it's almost definitely my favourite moment in the series. Ignoring the straight-up horror of the actual murder there's Donna breaking down into tears, Bobby looking around helplessly and Cooper being comforted by the old man. It's such an odd way of making the character feel the same thing the audience is feeling.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Most accessible Lynch movie has got to be The Straight Story.

Most underrated, too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 28, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

God all the business with the weird showgirls is so fascinating.

Candy is my new favourite character

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

hawowanlawow posted:

Indian arm wrestling maybe

Dougie: "Indian.......arm...."

Hawk: "That's it, Dougie, you saved the day!"

*Hawk punches Bad Cooper the gently caress out*

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I really liked the Audrey scene this episode. It was well acted and legitimate creepy/intriguing after the "end your story" part.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Tammy's about as good an actor as Leo was but, fortunately, she's given a lot less to do.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eh, I'd say Leo was worse, but he got to do a lot more. Maybe if Tammy actually had lines and did stuff it would be better, but I think it just feels like she's there to get info dumped on and to be pretty. And that feels really condescending to her as both an actress and a character.

Leo was awful, for sure, but like I said, he had a lot more to do and clearly wasn't up to the task. It feels like they kinda know Tammy's limitations and are playing to them. She definitely has a "presence" which isn't out of place in Twin Peaks, but she's just not a good actor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Cromulent posted:

When it comes to acting, I've always felt the same way about Leo as I did about Harry Truman - serviceable job until they have to ramp up the emotion. "You broke my heart!!"

Ontkean and Da Re fit their characters, even if their acting wasn't great. Like, Leo being odd and monotone is perfect for the character, and Ontkean has a kind, aw-shucks demeanor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, I doubt a woman who was friends with the creator, had a role in the original series, came back to film intros in character for each episode, and made sure to film her part before succumbing to her illness was "exploited".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Baloogan posted:

I would have really liked a reference to tapes or something.

her characterization in S3 lead me to think she HATES the S1 and S2 cooper for being such a goof on the tapes which is a retcon i didn't want.

How is that a retcon?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I don't even know why someone would bother with Twin Peaks spoilers. I find it hard to believe that a description of some of these scenes would even come close to what they're really like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

romanowski posted:

as far as i'm concerned everything else about this season could have been garbage and it still would have been worth it just for episode 8. but everything else was also awesome because this show is great

Yeah. I'd say there have been at least 5 or 6 episodes that are as good or better than season 1 Twin Peaks, but episode 8 might be one of the best things David Lynch has ever done.