Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Good thread, I'm sure we'll be here for the next 25 years.

Actual Content: I don't think Laura Dern is going to play Diane. In my mind it's more likely Tamara Preston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Raxivace posted:

The correct order to view Twin Peaks in is actually Blue Velvet > Fire Walk With Me > The International Version of the Pilot > Any given Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 > Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360 version) > Eraserhead > Inland Empire

This will provide the best viewing experience IMO.

Seems legit.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The head of Showtime said this season is "the pure heroin version of David Lynch", and apparently there's no network interference this time like there was last time, so yeah, it's probably gonna be unbelievably weird.

Here's hoping it's like FWWM meets Lost Highway.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Deakul posted:

I'll probably check out Mulholland Drive since it's on Netflix, I always did mean to see more Lynch movies... it's just that everyone says they're all so surreal and hard to watch that it sort of put me off.

If you're willing to actually watch and think about what you're watching all his films but Inland Empire will make sense on first viewing. It helps that you've already seen some of his work and you're familiar with his style and the way he likes to use certain kinds of imagery.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

business hammocks posted:

I like movie Donna better. There, I said it.

Same. TV Donna is a terrible wooden actress.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Skeematic posted:

Isn't it just 2 hours tonite? I hope I'm wrong because getting 4 would be great.

If you have ShowtimeAnytime you can watch episodes 3 and 4 instantly.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Ten minutes. Ten painful minutes.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
He looks like Randall Flagg by way of Tarantino.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Oh my gods the key.

Also happy I didn't have to watch awkward hetrosexual sex.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Dale Cooper meets Randall Flagg is the best thing ever.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
CHOCOLATE.

BUNNIES.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 22, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

LostRook posted:

"You are an Indian!" "...Yes Lucy."

"It's not about the bunny! Is it about the bunny?"

Episode three and I'm dying.

Call for help?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I am on episode 3 and I am so confused and it is amazing. This is the best TV show I have ever seen.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
MICHEAL CERA AS MARLON BRANDO I AM loving DYING

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I love how every episode feels like the shard of a different TV show, and yet somehow an integral part of the whole Twin Peaks experience.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
What's the song from the end of episode 4? I need it in my life.

I can also say without a single doubt this is the best television I have ever seen.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

nopants posted:

I assumed the doppelgänger created or used dougie so coop would have another vessel. If evil coop kept his mouth closed long enough, coop would get zapped into Dougie.

It seems like a fetch. A copy of Cooper's body created from some random little object (the golden sphere). Common in thing in European folklore.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
That's my favorite thing about the Lodges. They perfectly distill this remote, uncaring evil.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I'm saying this as someone who really likes David Lynch and liked the new episodes so far, I was worried that this season would be all Lynch with no one holding him back, because the original series was not that at all. The end product is going to be good because Lynch is talented, but I think it is going to lose a lot of the magic of the first two seasons.

I don't think you could recapture it if you tried. Twin Peaks was made at a very specific moment in history. 50s nostalgia was very in, and there was absolutely nothing like prestige TV we have now. If he'd just made Twin Peaks Season 3 with Dale as I don't know...a pharmacist in Twin Peaks? It would just have flopped like a wet fart.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Agreed. Lynch uses dream logic so well. So many TV shows have huge sprawling plots with a million threads. Somehow, despite taking place in Twin Peaks, Buckhorn, Las Vegas, and New York City all at the same time Twin Peaks feels like a much leaner creature. It's an experience, not a story. And I love that.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

fromsinkingsands posted:

I know, right? We could totally use two more episodes of Cooper trying to function in society.

This, but unironically. Give me at least five.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

el oso posted:

If so, definitely a little depressing because the end of FWWM with her angel suggested that her spirit was going to get some sort of reprieve.

I think the best parts of her did get to go on. What's left in the Lodge is a husk of her.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Raxivace posted:

Looking back this shitpost I made ended up being a more accurate preparation for this new season than I realized.

Add Mullholand Drive somewhere in there and you got yourself some Twin Peaks: The Return.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Nthing the opinion that Lynch's use of FX is just brilliant. They add to the dream-like atmosphere.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Aliens, really? That's the impression you got?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
That's exactly what happened.

Deputy Hawk (Paraphrasing) posted:

If you experience fear in the Black Lodge, it will destroy you utterly.

Cooper felt fear in the Black Lodge. It let BOB inside him.

It's interesting that you felt like BOB has become lesser, I actually had the exact opposite reaction. BOB was a simple predator in Twin Peaks. He was hungry, so he fed. Years in our world have made him fat, made him picky. He's gone from feeding to indulging. Murder is easy, boring - but complex webs that show how rotten everyone is inside? Now that's...difficult, interesting. He's not just the evil that men do. He is Evil. It's not just survival, it's sport.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 24, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

eSporks posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that Bob is even a who in the traditional sense. More just a representation of of the darkness inside us.Bob always felt like more of a force than an entity.

I think this is also part of it. I always took BOB as being like the spiritual parasite equivalent of a hermit crab. He doesn't jut wear people's faces - he wears their personalities. There's so little of him that's human that he has to use parts of his host to pass as one of us.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Cephas posted:

Just want to say that I really appreciate David Lynch including an incredibly super awkward scene where he puts a transgender woman in a senior position to his character and says that anyone who can't change their heart and accept her should leave.

like it was probably the most awkward scene i've ever seen in any of david lynch's stuff, and the guy is a genius at writing awkward scenes. it was probably so awkward because it was pretty much just a direct address to the audience. but you know what? gently caress it. Thank you David Lynch for taking a scene of your television show to openly and firmly show your support for trans people. I appreciate it.

Still pretty cringy because he belts out Denise's dead name at least twice. That poo poo hurts.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

EmmyOk posted:

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow for my birthday and I'm finally gonna sit down and watch. Is it good pals?

How did you feel about FWWM and Lynch's later work like Inland Empire and Muholland Drive?

That's your answer.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"SHITPOSTS OF STONE."

Give this man a medal.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Heavy Metal posted:

What are we gonna do for two weeks!

Apparently make killer memes.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
David Lynch has talked about how much the outside world scares him at this point, and as he gets older it only seems to get worse. I think this might be the last TV show he ever makes.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

As much as I'm loving this season so far, I'd be okay with this.

18 hours of new Lynch after not getting a movie from him in 11 years? That's preeeeeeetty substantial! And he's in his 70s and has been active for decades now, so it's not like he hasn't accomplished anything in his time of creating art.

I agree. David Lynch has made some really great films, but I always feel like there's so much "what if" left with him. He's one of the most gifted film directors of our time and yet he spent more than a decade of his life struggling to get any funding at all.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Jerusalem posted:

Hey I know you're probably all talking about the new episodes but I'm still in (the bad part of) season 2 and uhhh what the gently caress James you have a girlfriend you douche :mad:

Or did I miss something between their million break-ups?

I think James lacks an understanding of object permanence tbh.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Yeah, new Twin Peaks feels like nothing else. It's truly unique and that's so rare.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Barreft posted:

I never saw the original so maybe that's why, but I'm giving this a shot and it's boring as poo poo. I'm halfway through episode 3 and it's just been one big fever dream. Do we ever get a story? Some kind of plot? Because if it's just a bunch of weird poo poo and people staring while not saying anything I'm checking out.

This is not something most people can just jump on into. You need to watch season 1/2 and the film.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

wizard on a water slide posted:

I don't think the coffee theory is silly at all. Food has power in Twin Peaks, so much so that I've made the case in the past that Norma's is the "white lodge" from a literary if not literal standpoint.

I've never thought of that way but it makes complete sense.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

boner confessor posted:

the red room isn't the black lodge. the red room is like purgatory. as far as i can remember the black or white lodges have not yet been explicitly shown

I think the Red Room may well be both. In Lynch's worldview you can't take the good without the bad, they're married to one another. There's also the matter of the floor - white and black zigzags.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Lord Krangdar posted:

Windom Earle seems to talk about the lodges differently than how the red room is depicted, but then again what does he know.

Fuckall because he can't avoid breaking what seems like a pretty major rule. (No hunting in the Lodge.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

I imagine he'd give Kojima a pat on the back for writing the final hour or two of that game.

*Gordon Cole voice* "What's the deal with all the butts?"