Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Section 9 posted:

Completely unrelated(?), I wonder what makes DougieCoop cry seeing Sonny Jim in the car? Certainly hard to tell at this point what is going through DougieCoop's mind (except coffee), but it doesn't seem like he's got any of Dougie's old memories (which would make sense if they are separate bodies and beings, which seems likely based on the manner of their exchange.)

remusclaw posted:

If Cooper is slowly coming to his senses, and it seems to be the case that he is, it stands to reason that he feels for the kid. Sonny obviously has some affection for Dougie, and Dougie is gone. Cooper is not like Norma and Ed, he wont stay in a relationship just to avoid hurting peoples feelings.

I interpreted it as the "real" Cooper's emotional reaction as it sinks in that he's essentially looking at his own son. Whatever the case, it's my favorite scene of this episode alongside the Becky scene, and one of my favorites in the new series. MacLachlan is doing an amazing job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

strap on revenge posted:

on the other hand, dougie's theme is the best music in the show so far

:agreed:

I love the deliberate melancholy pacing of the show and Dougie's theme reflects that. The slow reintroduction to the town of Twin Peaks parallels Cooper's slow rediscovery of his real identity.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Man, I feel like BOB is one of the most revolting villains ever portrayed in media. If I think about all he's done to Coop, stealing his identity, assaulting his friends, imprisoning him for 25 years, it starts to make my stomach turn.

I know the concept of a "happy ending" is so far away from Lynch's priorities that you can see the curvature of the earth, but I really hope BOB gets what's coming to him.

Sorry if I'm being annoyingly pedantic but Cooper's doppelganger and BOB have been pretty firmly established to be distinct entities. The scene of them cackling together in the Lodge in the S2 finale and doppelCoop talking to BOB in the prison mirror implies that doppelCoop is evil enough by himself and BOB is just a passenger in a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sounded like standard ominous Badalamenti stuff towards the end. Just maintaining Twin Peaks' theme of dark poo poo lying just beneath the surface of something wholesome.

Speaking of which, was this episode the first time they played Laura Palmer's theme aside from that scene where Bobby sees her picture? It really caught my ear because they used it all the time in the old series during the ominous sweeping shots of the town and the woods and this is the first time I remember it being used in that way in the new series.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

From Secret History of Twin Peaks:

Space Owls

I was reading the book at night and turning the page to that picture scared the poo poo out of me. :gonk:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I hope Cooper will retain some bits of his Dougie persona, like occasionally mumbling stuff like "Jade give two rides" under his breath

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Basticle posted:

Im not sure how but i completely forgot about this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vOg0HyJpvI

I found it via a video youtube really wanted me to watch of Chrysta Bell performing this song that you should definitely not watch

Forget the Roadhouse, if Bowie had lived I bet he would have given an amazing performance of this song, and it would have even made some plot sense for him to be in the red room. I can almost hear him perform it in his Blackstar voice. :unsmith:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

The only character who hasn't had any actual arc or progression is Audrey, which is ironic, since she went from being a foolishly brave independent person who would investigate anything around her to a character incapable of doing anything and codependent to a sleepy man who gives no shits.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: ^^ That 'coat or no coat' discussion felt really weird, and I genuinely felt Audrey was just getting mad at nothing.

Yeah, her behavior in that scene made me fully buy into the theory of it being some kind of dream. There's no reason for her to get hung up on petty bullshit when she's finally about to get what she wants, it's got to be her subconscious or some poo poo preventing her from leaving the confines of the dream.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The main problem with this season for me has been that for a show called Twin Peaks, the events taking place in the actual town of Twin Peaks have felt somewhat disjointed and unfocused. There have been many great individual character moments like Bobby's entire arc and delightfully weird poo poo like Sarah Palmer and Jack Rabbit's Palace, but the town lacks the sense of community and connection that the original series had. Places like the Sheriff's Department, the Double R and the Great Northern feel like disconnected islands because the events are so scattered throughout the season, the chronology is loving weird and it feels like we are missing significant pieces of some plotlines. I wish we would have gotten some more scenes of characters talking about and reacting to stuff like the kid getting run over, the drug epidemic in the town or just the general vibe of things being hosed up. I'll grant that we'll probably get some of that in the finale once Coop appears in town, but with all the other poo poo left to resolve I don't know if it can be completely "fixed". gently caress me but I really want a season 4 now.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Yeah, the second season makes it pretty clear that Noah Hawley loved season 3.

Kayle getting snubbed is loving insane, even if you're a crazy person who hated season 3 you can't deny his performance was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I do think that ending is showing the scary unknowable nature of things, and it's pretty intense. Existential terror. But still I do think it's somehow a more okay cliffhanger than the iconic season 2 one to leave off on.

But it sure would rule if we don't leave off there just yet.

It's more okay because it's exactly how Lynch chose to end the series when given 18 hours to do whatever he wanted. I think one of his goals with the ending was to restore the aura of mystery to Laura Palmer, to make up for being forced to reveal her killer back in the original series.