Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
what what what

what

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
I don't post here often but have followed this thread from the getgo

Most of you are cool and good even kaworu

Hell fucken yeah to a thread rewatch too

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
Please watch all of season 2 and a fun drinking game is to pull a shot everytime you see Evelyn Marsh's stained tooth

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Rageaholic posted:

If we're doing a thread rewatch, I've got all the Blu-Rays I can burn and a 4K monitor so I can take 4K screenshots if anyone wants them for a wallpaper or whatever.

hghhhnnnnnnnnn 4k screenshots of almost any scene in s3 :dudsmile:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

:dudsmile:

e: it makes me real happy that dkl gives temperatures in fahrenheit and celsius

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

And More posted:

One thing I always find frustrating is Hawk's passive role in this show. He knew all about doppelgangers and the lodge, yet he doesn't figure this poo poo out until 25 years later? From the conversations with Margaret it's obvious that he knows something about Judy (the one above blue pine mountain), yet I'm not sure he ever does anything with this knowledge.

You're talking about someone who(m?) the text denotes believes in "whistl[ing] past the graveyard".

And More posted:

It's especially fascinating to me because a lot of things in this show are wacky and out there. Mr. C is a magical being, and yet the violence he inflicted on Diane was something incredible real, common even. It's something that could happen to anyone, and be done by anyone.

It's a world of truck drivers.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

:unsmith:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Jerusalem posted:

I finished up episode 18 at last. It's wonderful and beautiful and sad and I never quite realized that after arriving at the Palmer house and not finding what he wanted, Cooper is reenacting the weird stutter-step he did on the road with Diane when looking for the passage into a.... parallel timeline? Different plane of reality? Thin place in the skin of the world? Is he going to try and do it all over again until he finally finds a way to "save" Laura? That moment he asks what year it is feels like the first time since "waking" from his coma that he doesn't have full confidence that he is in control of the situation.

Also I'm the idiot who didn't grasp/remember the significance of the Chalfont/Tremond connection at the Palmer house. There's so much to unpack in that final scene, and the final shot of the house going black and Laura/Cassie screaming is haunting, as is the shot of his face in the Lodge as not-Laura whispers in his ear during the closing credits. I will never forget this beautiful show.

after spending most of quarantine reading your sopranos breakdowns, i'm real glad to see you here in the peaks thread

i'm convinced of the bardo theory myself but with frost/lynch it's hard to pin the return down to any one thing

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Jerusalem posted:

What is the bardo theory? I'm not familiar with it and a Google search mostly brings up people referencing it indirectly as opposed to saying what it is! :)

this link https://www.lionsroar.com/four-points-for-letting-go-bardo/

is a little much, but does a fair job describing the current popular accepted understanding of what the bardo is and why it exists

basically its the liminal space between life and death, but not exactly? and to me, cooper is completely unable to 'let go' of his self-perceived narrative of being the good savior, the white hatted cowboy, the one who saves the day

to me, as he's in the lodge, is it future or is it past, is cooper reliving and re-experiencing the events of twin peaks through a variety of perspectives and points of view, some more omniscient than others

he is provided the opportunity to live these experiences (i believe) in order to help him come to terms with the fact that he cannot, does not, and will not ever save the day, not really, as the wind through the trees/the black-white lodge dichotomy is eternal and changeless

in the iteration of the bardo through which we get to follow cooper/mr. c/dougie jones in the return, it seems to me that even this iteration is not enough for cooper to understand and internalize the big-t Truth of his... failure? for lack of a better word?

i am convinced because of my own lived experiences that the last we see of laura palmer with dale cooper in the red room, she is explicity describing the number of iterations he's experienced in the bardo, that she's telling him all the stories of all the different outcomes he himself has created within this liminal space. his look (to me!) is the horror of realization -- that just like when laura told cooper who killed her in the original series run, he's going to forget all she's told him, doomed to repeat the cycle, time and time again

please understand that this is only my perspective and i could be a) completely wrong, b) off base, and/or c) nonsensical. i find the rorschach-test-like ability of frost's writing and lynch's visuals to allow the viewer to inject their lived experiences and perceptions onto a work in so many interesting and creative ways to be one of the many reasons that twin peaks is so compelling

edit: i could also see an argument for the return as a meditation on ageing and death/transformative change
or as a treatise on generational trauma and the horror of passing down violence and death via familial ties/socialization
or as a group of people trying to make sense of a senseless existence that has "moved on"

sorry for making GBS threads up a cool thread, y'all are cool

sinnesloeschen fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 23, 2020

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
Without cows, you wouldn't have cheese.

Without cheese, you wouldn't have Inland Empire.

Obviously.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Jerusalem posted:

I love that my first viewing of Season 3 was,"Dougie's great but when are we getting Cooper back!?!" and my latest viewing of Season 3 was,"Oh no we're getting closer and closer to no more Dougie!"

:same:

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
so back when DL restarted the weather report i cut a series of daily alarms for my phone where he tells me what day it is, and every day, without fail, david lynch tells me there's beautiful blue skies, very still, and there will be golden sunshine

i'm glad he's keeping the weather report

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

mr_jolly posted:

Christ, I feel old. Wait, I am!

When i think back on watching it as it aired, what a summer that was waiting for next week's episode. As much as i love twin peaks, I've never yet managed to watch return again yet as I know some of the magic from watching it when it first aired won't be there for me.

i find the opposite experience (for me) in that the annual rewatch (always in summer time for me, im not sure why) my appreciation and bewilderment grows and deepens, and i find myself thinking back to what i originally thought about "what it all meant" which is really interesting to compare between marginally younger sinnesloeschen and now sinn
:shrug:

eta the magic is absolutely still there; i wont lie and say it's oh holky gently caress first time episode 8 or the bob reveal, but its still a place and experience of wonder

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Sockser posted:

This is an idea I've had sitting in a notes app for three years and I finally made it, here you go

god drat it lol

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

regulargonzalez posted:

Explain David Spade

ew, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011