Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

I really don't like that analysis because it places Lynch's symbolism in this weird one-to-one and highly author-dependent framework. Some of it resonates, but that's when there's more active interpretation of themes and general ideas in the series going on (Judy meaning "closure" being one of these).

The dude bases his rationale on that one scene in Fire Walk With Me where Chet Desmond interprets the symbolism acted out by that red-haired woman. However, the scene in question is ridiculous. You could interpret her dance routine in any number of directions and it would still make "sense".

Also, Lynch's word should never be taken as gospel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

thumper57 posted:

I find almost all of it pretty drat hard to dispute
Especially the follow-up which mostly centers on Seniorita Dido.

See, that's where I thought his stretches were almost unbearable.

Some of it, again, is interesting. You can make a reasonable case that the scene is commenting on film/television production because it's based in a theatre etc., but things like "Dido" meaning "ditto"... it doesn't convince me.

I could make the case that the scene is about the unreality of film production. There's a big pipe-shaped funnel that Laura's orb has to travel through, so this is obviously a reference to Magritte's Treachery of Images. Except, that idea only half works because it relies on the assumption that Lynch was actually consciously channelling "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" to make this a coded message. It's much easier to say that the whole thing simply involves a big projector showing us scenes we've already witnessed - a motif that repeats in various ways throughout the series.