Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so psyched but why the 8pm timeslot :(. we already have like 5 shows that dvr in that slot so we have to do the "find a later time" dance every week to get it all recorded. sunday at 8 is a popular slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Confounding Factor posted:

FWWM was a bad movie, an uneven mess that not even Lee's performance could salvage it. Re-watching it again recently only made me feel even more hostile towards it. There's some good scenes and I like that it was explored further with Leland being tormented by his demons (BOB) and the suffering Laura had to endure. The bad "spirits" from the Black Lodge make more metaphorical sense than what was suggested from the TV show. I know the film had to be cut down from 5 or 6 hours worth, but the editing was poorly done. Oh and Donna was a total miscast.

Overall it was a terrible misfire from Lynch, who is pretty inconsistent in my world (Mulholland Dr is like in my top 3 favorite films, that being said).

Love the original series except of course that disastrously awful run of S2 episodes up to and including the Windom Earle arc.

The new series probably is not going to be anything like the original, for better or worse. As long as Lynch/Frost have much more creative control over the project it'll be pretty drat good, but I'm not exactly expecting a total nostalgic revisit of the original series (a good thing). I'm glad Angelo is back to scoring the new series.

Lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The fan-edit of FWWM with deleted scenes added back in is good. All the extra Chett Desmond is a lot of fun.

it changes the movie too much. fwwm is maybe the most emotionally real exploration of domestic abuse in film. the cut stuff was cut for good reason.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Now that I'm caught up on this thread, I want to talk about my favorite thing from part 1&2.

Every time the episode got close to giving the viewer the standard "premium cable boobs", something horrible happened. The kids in the glass box room got torn apart by a monster, the lady bad coop kills is in full fanservice regalia when he kills her in cold blood, and then he goes next door to another women whom he initiates a sex scene with in possibly the creepiest way I've ever seen. In the first episode, at least, it seemed like David Lynch really wanted to punish anyone who was tuning into premium cable just to see boobs.

Jade in Part 3 kinda undercuts that a little bit but then in that scene with her at the carwash they really seem to push home the point that a sex worker is just a normal person with a normal life and if you have any kind of conscience you should feel a little gross if you oggled her in her first appearance.

There were sporadic posts going "drat, coffee girl in the glass box room looking fine" and all I could think was "way to miss the point". To me it feels like Lynch has really digested some of the criticisms about how he uses the female body in film and is responding in the show. Even when he and Albert are talking about Tammy after she leaves the room it feels like you're not supposed to think that their talk is harmless (especially after the dressing down he gets from Denise).

The whole show has been a home run for me so far, but I really appreciated him setting that tone in the first episode, that feeling that the Showtime execs were like "you need some gratuitous sex in here" and his response was to stroke the monkey's paw in his pocket.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm pretty sure that on his door in the latest episode it shows his name as "Dougeas Jones" so I think "Dougea" is the canonical spelling.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm really confused why everyone is jumping straight to "bad coop raped her" too. All we know is that something deeply painful happened between the two of them. That's what's been shown on screen and in their performances. If you genuinely believe the only traumatic thing a man can do to a woman is rape her then you're not being very creative.

Especially with such a close relationship as Cooper and Diane there are all sorts of things evil Coop would have done that felt like a huge betrayal to her. When you know someone extremely well, you know all the little things that cut them deep. A good person knows them to carefully step around them, but the dark version of a person might use them to hurt instead..

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I can't believe Bad Cooper and Diane had a party where they killed and froze Major Briggs and then he never called her after.

I'm not necessarily supporting any theory (although this is a good one), I'm just surprised by someone being so adamant about "it's rape and nothing else and you're all wrong, I know because I've seen a lot of raping on TV in my day and I know a rape victim when I see one."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Escobarbarian posted:

Hahah what?? My posts were entirely a response to "obviously it isn't rape he must have just said something mean to her everyone who thinks it was rape is a creep drat creepy idiot goons!!!!!!"

nobody said that though? one person said that reddit jumped straight into hundreds of pages of rapechat and it made them sad, then another person started talking about it here and the response was "we can't really know for sure without more info from the show, let's wait and see what else happens."

you seem to be the only one who's having a disproportionate reaction. you are very mad that people don't want to assume rape happened. that is in fact pretty creepy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Escobarbarian posted:

That's a very interesting post that I enjoyed, but absolutely 100% not a valid reading of the show as it exists

Here's the thing: I think that a work like Twin Peaks can operate at more than one level. I know not everyone in TVIV is a fan of death of the author, but there's enough complexity here that there can be the literal narrative reading that is objectively true, and then a number of layered metaphorical readings on top of it.

Literally BOB is some kind of real and distinct entity that commits acts of malice to nourish himself and his allies. That's a literal and objective reading of the information in the show.

On top of that there is a layered metaphor of BOB as an incarnation of the abuse that is handed down through a family. There is also a reading of him as the pleasant lies we tell ourselves to obscure the painful truth (Leland believing that BOB controls his actions 100%, Laura talking about having an exciting fling with BOB rather than being assaulted by her father, etc). There's also a reading of him, especially in seasons 3, as a representative of the innate human urge to inflict suffering or harm others to our own benefit.

I think a way this thread gets kinda crossed up at times is that we have some folks who are mostly trying to suss out the literal narrative truth of the show (which is fun and cool), but others who are more about exploring all the different metaphorical layers in the show (which is also good and cool), and the two groups keep misinterpreting each other's posts as attacking their own when there's really just two parallel discussions happening.

The literal mythological narrative of the show is interesting and I'm enjoying seeing it fleshed out, but for me the other layers of meaning are more interesting, especially as someone with a lot of friends and family who have gone through trauma I see reflected in the show.

Why am I quoting your post? I think saying "100% not a valid reading of the show" is overstating things a bit. You're right that it doesn't address the literal narrative of the show, but partial figurative readings are still valid. The show has a lot to say that is not necessarily 100% in line with the literal depictions. If this thread could avoid taking this stark black-and-white views of one another's ideas I think that would be pretty great.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Baloogan posted:

so uh, the guy and gal with the glass box? whats the literal meaning of that ?

A magic thing killed them. That literally happened on screen. The allegorical readings are what else you can put on top of that.

Like I said earlier, one reading is Lynch sending a signal that he's not going to give premium cable fan service. At least not in the way showtime would want him to.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Folks thinking the girl is Sarah Palmer: is your thought that the bug thing is just gonna chill in her stomach for 20 years before causing Laura to be formed?

Here's the things I think are clear, narratively, from this episode:

• The A-bomb opened a portal from the black lodge in New Mexico. It's not the first and only one as the book mentions several other access points and encounters all over the country (including in Twin Peaks) but it's a significant event.
  • The A-bomb, I think, releases BOB into the world for the first time in a way not dictated by the rules of the other lodge spirits. This is what sets into motion the chain of events culminating in his present effort to escape the lodge permanently.
  • Laura Palmer is created by the giant to in some way stop/respond to BOB

Here's my conjecture:
Laura was intended to trap BOB. He becomes obsessed with possessing her. If the giant created her, perhaps it was as an irresistible target for possession. Maybe the plan was to get him into her body and then pull him into the lodge the same way that happened to Dougie, thus rendering him harmless. After all, Dougie turns back into a golden ball, sort of the inverse of how we see Laura sent out.

Cooper, communicating with Laura across time and space via the lodge, accidentally causes her to detour from the proper path and put on the ring, causing BOB to kill her and run amok instead of getting trapped. She gets pulled into the lodge but he doesn't go with her. She ascends into her angelic/creature of light form instead of being destroyed as the giant isn't wiling to destroy her pointlessly.

I'm not super sure whats up with the woodsmen or bug thing though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What do other folks think about my theory that Laura may have been intended to trap BOB within her but Cooper's communication to her across time ("Don't take the ring") interfered and caused her to do the wrong thing, being killed instead. That would really double down on the whole idea of season 3 being entirely the runaway effects of Cooper entering the lodge unprepared.

Clearly her simply being murdered by BOB isn't what was intended because killing her set off a chain of events that let BOB escape the lodge permanently aboard a doppelganger.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

And More posted:

I think you're wrong because Laura doesn't actually listen to Cooper.

That's my point. She's supposed to not put the ring on but he tells her not to take the ring so then she does the opposite because she's spent a decent chunk of her life actively rebelling against just about everything.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i like that the white lodge, which has been roughly described as "good", is still pretty nightmarish to human eyes. it's probably a mistake to perceive its actions as any type of benevolence. rather its inhabitants simply have motivations that happen to oppose the black lodge's and in the particular events documented by the show those happen to be to human benefit. if they were benevolent in the most human sense of the word i don't think they'd create a girl specifically to be horribly raped repeatedly until she was murdered.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TheMaestroso posted:

No, but it also doesn't necessarily mean that the show is saying BOB is just "the evil that men do." It's a valid interpretation, but I don't think too much of it if this is in fact when he first makes his way into the world. My reasoning is that this implies "the evil that men do" didn't exist before the first atom bomb was dropped. I don't think that's specifically what you're implying or think, but that's how it comes across to me.

stop it, the metaphorical side is arguing with the narrative side again :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

caligulamprey posted:

Clip from the first episode of Season 2 (AKA Episode 8), two minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfou9cwyygE

I was always intrigued by how the giant seems to sneak into his room and make sure he's asleep before doing his whole presto appearo thing. Almost as though he's a bit less magical than he wants Cooper to believe.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Neurosis posted:

Yeah I read of this parallel and it's kind of neat. Also it's a mirroring because the nuclear test in Carnivale would mark end of magic whereas in Twin Peaks it was, if not a beginning, a major awakening.

I wish Carnivale had gone on. :(

Carnivale ended at the right time. There's this insanely detailed show bible that made it all too clear it was going to massively overexplain all the mystical stuff as it went on and suck all the magic out of the show. he had hyper detailed lineages of the magic guys mapped out, explanations of their powers, histories of the "houses" of magic dudes, etc. It was bound to turn into YA fantasy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Guy Mann posted:

Did I mention that the bad guy of the show is played by Clancy Brown? :getin:

It's really good and it's aged fantastically because it was pretty ahead of its time, both for good (great production values, serial storytelling with a plot that actually had an outline and an ending from day one, a huge cast with lots of cool character actors) and ill (the show starting really slowly because the creator was so into their Master Plan and losing tons of viewers and eventually being cancelled after only two seasons as a result). If you're still sticking around with Twin Peaks by now then you can probably handle the slow start, but Babylon is episode 5 of the first season and that was the real :tviv: episode that had me hooked for the rest of it.

It kind of has the opposite pacing problem of Twin Peaks, where season one is really slow and decompressed and focuses a lot more on the day-to-day life of the traveling circus and all the crazy characters in it while in season two it moves much quicker because cancellation was looming and it actually manages to have a good, satisfying ending while also having a few big revelations that give you an idea of how it would have continued.

we have really opposite takes on this show apparently. For me the show was very much about the day-to-day misery of life in the dust bowl, with the mysticism acting as a way to highlight and explore various themes of the depression. I think the show would have suffered from becoming about the mechanical details of all the magic crap rather than being about day-to-day human suffering and the way a glimmer of hope (be it from a genuine christ figure or a charming antichrist) can radically change peoples' decision making. The Boy and The Preacher are avatars (:v:) of larger themes: great leaders or great deceivers who gave people hope in hard times and used that hope to good or bad ends.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
this is my rifle
and this is my gun
load up and compensate hi.
the click is the cock of the hammer, and my shriveled yin

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Did anyone in here mention that The Giant we've seen in S3 so far isn't actually The Giant? Carel Struycken might apparently playing "The Fireman" in this season, as mentioned in the soundtrack listing on Amazon.

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/theories/carel-struycken-the-fireman/

One of my friends who I regularly talk about the show with linked me to that article the other day, but I couldn't remember if it had been discussed in here yet or not.

that laura palmer in plastic figurine advertised in the sidebar is tasteless as gently caress holy poo poo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Elias_Maluco posted:

But we do have the crazy junkie screaming 119

that crazy junkie, btw, is Hailey Gates, who is the host of the excellent Viceland show States of Undress. I was super stoked to see her in this. She's been doing some great investigative journalism and it's cool to see her showing up in scripted media also.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
gbs is the part of SA that never grew out of their teenage years and thus feel an innate drive to hate everyone and everything and lash out aimlessly. most of us became adults and learned that words like "new" or "popular" don't make things automatically bad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Art Alexakis posted:

I think its most likely that the rapist did not rape them, but rather hypnotized them. Seems very clear that the man who is possessed by an evil spirit that really loves raping people used some device (pocket watch swung like a pendulum?) to hypnotize them.

Cool, a rape joke.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Panamaniac posted:

I'm only a little bit into last night's episode.
Did Jane-E just rape a retard?
Also, is it just me or did Coop look younger laying there after?

ya. when that scene started we were like "i know this is meant to be funny but holy poo poo capability for consent lady"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

She thinks it's her husband. He just recently fought off an armed assassin and seems pretty capable, even if he is thoroughly spaced out. You have no idea what led up to that scene, so I don't think it's reasonable to assume Cooper wasn't on board. People's inability to perceive the time in the edits is leading to silly leaps of logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzgAIeRBBbk

Hes literally been depicted as mentally incapacitated and just barely repeating things people show him the whole time he's been back. It's not that ambiguous. A guy who can't pee without instruction can't consent.

This isn't meant to be some kind of hot take. That scenes humor just didn't land with me because it's pretty cut and dry ethically.

Edit:as far as "she thinks it's her husband", people commit rape every day without thinking that they are. That's why clear ability to consent is so important.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish we got the immediate lead up to that sex scene.

we all lust for Kyle McLachlan full frontal nudity

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Ah yes, clearly this man is not having a good time. Clearly this was a bad experience for him. Clearly someone should notify the authorities.

I think everyone blowing the rape-whistle might have a leg to stand on if Coop had popped out the socket and she immediately jumped his poo poo. That isn't the case. There have been many references to the time that's passed since Cooper came back to the house. He's got more agency and capability since then. The man is going to work. He is fighting off assassins. The core of my argument, which you have conveniently overlooked in favor of a facile argument against the myth that rape doesn't occur in marriages, is that you have no idea what is happening in the space and time between editing cuts. Cooper has certainly shown interest in coffee and badges and other things. Why is it impossible to think that he might have given her a clear indication of interest during that gap in time? Furthermore, why is it the responsibility of the person making the show to make sure to show something on-screen for no better reason than to make sure that a bunch of goofballs with hyperactive imaginations won't assume that something insidious is happening when they see two adults having sex and both clearly enjoying it? This, when you have just as much indication that everything is cool as you do that what you're seeing is non-consensual and inappropriate.

Lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That talking fishbowl head bear was the most unsettling part of that scene. What is it for? What are they doing to that poor man with such a toy?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JazzFlight posted:

Bingo, totally thought of A Clockwork Orange too.

Never seen it :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't know about personally, but I definitely (as I've mentioned way too much already) have a chip on my shoulder about this whole "rape????? what????? man you goons are obsessed with rape!!!!!!!" thing. Seems like kind of an intellectually dishonest way of refusing to fully interact with the text as is, and people attempting to shut down valid discussion because of their own feelings that talking about this poo poo makes them uncomfortable etc. well, that's using the most hyperbolic language possible, obviously it isn't that big of a deal

And I personally am not bothered really by the Dougie sex scene, as I've mentioned, but I totally get why people would be and think it's worth discussing. As one poster mentioned, imagine that poo poo gender-flipped.

Pretty much this. I get that some people can put aside the situation to just enjoy the physical comedy, but for me I have so many friends who have been traumatized by sexual assault in "ambiguous" situations that I can't laugh at that. And I'm especially scared of anyone that is saying that it's unambiguously not rape. Because those are the sorts of people who hurt my friends.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That blanket looks like ogre Fiona in human skin.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eshock posted:

Is there a canon read on whether Candy is really that absent-minded or is she just loving with the casino bros? I think the "she has nowhere else to go" line makes the first more likely, but she really played it down the middle.

Also, did you notice how Tom Sizemore left the room in the same weird way Candy did when she went to get him?

I get a really weird vibe off the showgirls like they're indentured servants of some kind. They're wearing those ridiculous outfits while they make that dude drinks and clean his house and whatever and she has a genuine meltdown when she accidentally taps his face with the remote a little bit.

Hard to know if they're just employees but are scared of their bosses or straight up slaves or what, but suit is hosed up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

remusclaw posted:

Now, real comedy would be if he shouted "Helloooooooooow!" at the end of the sex scene.

If afterward he gets up, puts on his suit and tie, and starts driving to twin Peaks I'm on board with this version.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

...! posted:

Holy poo poo, this is some extreme pedantry. Yes, everyone knows Coop isn't Dougie. You know exactly what people mean when they say that.

I have seen some people in other forums making fun of people calling him Cooper instead of Dougie. There are quite literally people who have no idea that it's Cooper.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I assume that the FBI crew are familiar with the woodsmen and poo poo due to secret investigations of the incident after the bomb test that we saw. I bet that's what kicked off the blue rose cases.

Bobby is amazing. Everything about him is just so heartwarming now.

Tammy was stealth champ of this episode. You could see those heels sinking into the dirt in a bunch of the shots with her in the background and she never loses her footing. That poo poo is hard enough to walk in when you're on normal floors (which is probably why she walks all float btw), but on dirt I'd break a loving ankle.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't see a blue check there. Is that really Michael Horse?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm so ready for timeslot bullshit and weekly schedules to finally die

I don't get how there's still a concept of primetime. Work and life schedules mean I dvr positively everything anyway and when it's all clustered at 8 to 10 pm they're just forcing me to pick which shows I won't watch since my dvr only does 3 shows at once.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

prediction: Nadine is gonna leave Ed for Dr Amp and that'll be the catalyst for him and Norma finally getting together after fuckin decades

I have the worst gaydar ever for a lesbian but I kinda thought Norma and Shelly had become a thing for a minute before we saw Shelly was dating drug guy. Something about the specific way they would exchange looks in some scenes.

Norma still being in love with Ed all these years later would be good, but I think only if some other thing ends up keeping them apart. Their whole thing is that high school sweethearts don't work out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lord Krangdar posted:

I think Norma just had a look of wise sympathy because she cares about Shelley but is stuck watching the same problems playing out all over again.

Yeah, on re-watch it was obviously this, but on first watch I was picking up subtext to their interactions that wasn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

drat dude Audrey looks haggard as poo poo man :( And she still has a young voice which is weird too

Everyone else on the show seemed to age ok, but father time kicked her rear end

She looks like a normal middle aged woman. She just didn't take the Hollywood route of doing a million cosmetic surgeries to try to stay young. She looks fine.