Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I am insanely excited for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
It is completely insane how good this is. Yes yes yes daniel bryan 10 hours

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh poo poo so spirits and poo poo really do teleport through electrical currents.

We are into some Ronnie Rocket poo poo baby.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

romanowski posted:

is there like no music in this show? there have been several scenes that feel like there's supposed to be music but they're silent aside from dialogue and sound effects and it feels like there's supposed to be music but it's not playing. am i crazy??

yes

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
theres the theme. there it is.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
wally brando ftw

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
It all did. And I'm pretty sure this is the best thing on TV now, or for a long rear end time.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
lmfao at the dialogue "You're wearing a wire, Tammy!"

"You asked me to!"

"Right. Go wait in the restaurant."

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

FauxLeather posted:

This is so loving awesome. I don't think they could've done a better job so far, everything's coming together beautifully and the season has its own unique tone, humour and identity to it. The sound design is amazing, too. It really gets into your bones.

From Episode 4 I'm not too sold on the Michael Cera scene though? Seemed a little bit weird and stilted in a way that makes me think I'll need to rewatch it a few times just to get what they were going for. Hell, it's Lynch. I'll learn to love it like I learned to like the weird James Hurley romance side-story in S2.
Wally Brando is the new James, all the way. For better or worse.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I will say right now, a lot of people are going to talk poo poo on this tv show, and try to act cool and smart about it, and they will be wrong.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

glasses-idiot posted:

that brando impression though

i love that the character's last name is brando but neither lucy or andy's last names are brando so this means that wally brando the character is just a really gigantic brando fan and is in-character doing a brando impression

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

bobkatt013 posted:

It's a connection with the lodge. his wearing it made it seem like he belonged there.

I thought it was some kind of protection against soul transference. Laura wears it when Bob tries to possess her at the end of Fire Walk With Me, but then he can't, so he just murders her instead.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

eSporks posted:

That was kinda my understanding too. One armed man definately throws it at her intended to help her. It doesn't exactly help dougie though, so i dunno.

One armed man is kind of an rear end in a top hat, too. Coop tells her "Don't take the ring." so it must have some kind of drawback. Maybe it protects you from Bob because Mike already has you? I don't know either. Also, I got a HUGE question about the glass box project in the first episode. Who the heck is running that operation, the Illuminati?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Speaking of things being carried over from other Lynch shows, am I crazy or was the nightmare demon lady from Mulholland Drive also in the start of episode 2?

Or are those different characters? They just looked really similar to me. I was thinking "Wow, does all Lynch's stuff actually exist in the same universe or something?" when I saw that.

they dont look that similar to me, but i have heard apocryphally that Lynch said Lost Highway and Twin Peaks were in the same universe. I've never actually found a source for it, just people saying that he said it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Section 9 posted:

Michael Anderson: "I want nothing to do with this and I am crazy now!"
Twin Peaks: "We are replacing you with a weird tree."

rofl

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, think I might be done after 2 and a bit episodes. It's nigh on unwatchable.

It feels like Lynch managed to scam a bunch of money off of execs, high on nostalgia, to produce the show and spent it all on coke and hookers and then got a bunch of second year film students that are really into his style to produce a show as cheaply as humanly possible.

Lol

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

spudsbuckley posted:

Hey, I'm with you on that.

I enjoyed the other two seasons but this is in the FWWM vein of film school wankery. I'm glad y'all are enjoying it because this type of thing doesn't come around very often but I'm finding it utterly loving terrible.

i always love when people don't understand something so they insult it because they think no other human could possibly see different things in it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Ginette Reno posted:

I wouldn't say I loved it but I didn't hate it either. It's so much more like FWWM than the show, so if you came expecting more Twin Peaks you're probably gonna be largely disappointed. Lynch wasn't joking when he said the movie would be important. What he meant by that was the show would be a lot more like the movie than the old show.

My main critique with the first two episodes is there was way too much crazy poo poo. The lodge stuff kinda bores me when they spend too long on it. The original Twin Peaks worked well because they had crazy poo poo happening a lot but they also sandwiched that between some level of groundedness and normality. These first two episodes were just a crazy train ride 24/7 more in the vein of Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway. I feel like Lynch's crazy/surreal stuff works more when he reigns it in a bit and doesn't constantly bombard you with it.

But there's 18 hours of this so we'll see how long he stays in crazy town or if he brings it in a bit ever.

Mulholland Dr and Lost Highway are both two great movies that make enough sense for you to understand the emotional beats of the plot even without close analysis

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Gazpacho posted:

The ring and garmonbozia were not in the TV show but the owl symbol on the ring appeared in the last few (post-hiatus) episodes

garmonbozia appears in the first episode of the second season, and iirc one or two other times in the show.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's weird that people are getting hung up on the purpose of the glass box.

i mean it's one of the few things that's explicitly laid out in the first four episodes. A secret billionaire is bankrolling a top secret project to monitor a space for supernatural activity. This may or may not be linked to Ben Horne, who says something about a a person in New York funding the Great Northern's spa. The project successfully finds what it's looking for, and some people die. We see Coop in the box, shown chronologically before the young couple are murdered, so I assumed the spirit was somehow following Coop.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

business hammocks posted:

The obscured nudity in front of the glass box struck me as weird given that Lynch fired tv Donna for suggesting that they could do the bar scene in Fire Walk With Me without her getting her boobs out. I guess he is mercurial about boobs.

Uh, that's not what happened.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Like, Lara Flynn Boyle​ did multiple nude scenes the same year as fwwm, iirc. I had always heard it was a dispute over the direction of her character and something relating to her off screen relationship with Kyle McLachlan.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I like her, but I like movie Donna more. I don't know if it's ever actually been confirmed why she left, I think it's just a lot of rumors.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Good.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I'm probably just a huge Lynch nerd, but I honestly think these four hours of TV might be the best I have ever seen, and already have me rapt, perhaps even moreso than when I was first watching that euro pilot and falling in love.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

fromsinkingsands posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed the original Twin Peaks but this new season isn't doing it for me. I have a feeling there was no one around that had the balls to tell David Lynch "No".

Thank loving god.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

fromsinkingsands posted:

I know, right? We could totally use two more episodes of Cooper trying to function in society.

I certainly could. Whatever the show does, I'm on board.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I mean, even if it's not entirely what I want or like, it's incredibly fresh and feels very new and different. I'm compelled to watch all of it with interest because it's an actual person's ideas and not a focus group tested mess of fine tuned schlock.

For people who don't like this, check out that show Beyond. It's cheesy fun with a weird religious angle to the superheroics, and you'll see nothing really unconventional.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

precision posted:

Some David Lynch fans seem to have this weird obsession with eating each other alive over which of his projects are "good" and which are "bad", and even project that onto others by implying that most fans of Lynch are fans of everything he's done, to some degree or other. Like, it's possible to be down with both The Straight Story and Inland Empire, it really is.

That said my favorite thing of his, ever, are the LA weather updates he posted every day on YouTube for like 2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAhO4RE_A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9EmiQc6Fr0

It really is! This is my main thing about Lynch, he's just really loving good. His "weird" stuff isn't all he's capable of, the guy made one of the greatest biopics of all time, one of the greatest g-rated feel good family pictures of all time, a completely insane sci fi movie thats comparable to zardoz, he's got range. The guy's an American treasure.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Hey what's this on Coop's head? Episode 2, so I'm leaving it unspoilered.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Shoehead posted:

Didn't Miike make a live action Phoenix Wright?

Yep. He's brilliantly talented and will make, apparently, any movie that anyone tells him to make at any time, as long as he's paid.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

i thought that was so silly at first but now i see he's actually knocking the guy out by levering the shotgun into his head and i suddenly think its genius action choreography lol

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

vivisectvnv posted:

i was wondering about that as well, but there is another clearer shot later in the episode, and it's like a little tieback hair pin thingy

Oh, nice. I didn't immediately assume hair thing, because his hair's a mess anyway.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

saints gambit posted:

I think the genius part of it is that while all the really odd Lynchian stuff is going on the key thematically is in the more conventional throwaway standard TV parts. Lucy is so concerned about what is going on with the thermostat when they're not there. Lucy doesn't understand mobile phones. What happens when they're not there for 25 years is you don't get to experience or understand mobile phones. I never really thought about what makes Lynch's directorial style so menacing. It's just the patience. Longer than average set up shots or long shots of a hallway with a single figure walking towards the camera. The impression that absent the director that shot goes on indefinitely. It's the totality of the empty space when it's not being observed. On a long enough timeline something is going to happen everywhere so the entirety of the direction is exhausting because while there may never be a jump scare, you're always braced for it. Similarly, if you watched the same public space long enough there would be comedy, tragedy, romance, etc. It's incredibly voyeuristic and goes some way to explaining the tonal shift in the original series. In the same way Lucy wants to know what happens to the thermostat when she's not experiencing it directly, the audience wants to know what happened to all the characters regardless of the tone of that part of the narrative. Paralleling that with the constantly recorded glass box, where the observers are only punished when they look away.

good post

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

precision posted:

So when people like you type things like this, what exactly do you think you're accomplishing? Do you think I'm going to go "wait he's right, i've tricked myself until liking something"? Or are you just such an intellectual tryhard that you sincerely believe your subjective lack of enjoyment is objective truth? Or are you just an idiot?

This is a guy who thought Opie was a good radio host.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Krinkle posted:

Why did they do this. I'm so confused. This was awful.

They did that so you can think about the other guy on the motorcycle and go "holy poo poo, James was cool"

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

1000 umbrellas posted:

Not hearing/reading anyone react to the deplorable CG and green screening except for some "that's so Lynch!" here and there. I disagree. Lynch's capacity for the surreal and even the exaggerated has always been upheld by strong, believable special effects, starting with the baby in Eraserhead and extending through some of the most violent scenes in his oeuvre. When Cooper is climbing the ladder to stand on that gray box, I couldn't not turn to my partner and ask "what are we watching?" Some of the visuals are like senior film school project level of bad, and I have a hard time believing between Showtime and Lynch that every green screened scene couldn't have been done better with more traditional effects.

And if it really is "so Lynch," I guess I don't like Lynch anymore?

I guess you don't? I can't understand people complaining about the effects, they look weird but mostly excellent.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Slammy posted:

I love the series. Love it.

Spoilers for ep 4.

The blue filter on that last scene is distracting and beautiful. It's the most arresting scene of the episode.

Couldn't get any bluer.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Inadequate Areolas posted:

I'm with you on that. I think everything that needs to be explained is or will be as necessary.

I enjoy the absurd, abstract and spooky parts for what they are, like a weird-rear end dream... and it's not as enjoyable if I sit there and try to pick everything apart and try to rearrange it. I don't think there's a code to crack here. It's David loving Lynch.

David Lynch is an extremely symbol-minded director who, despite his coy joking about how there's no one right way to interpret his movies, has a very specific idea he's getting across most of the time. David Lynch is synonymous with there being hidden or obscured information that must be teased out, not putting nonsense on screen for no reason.