Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I bought the soundtrack on cassette because why wouldn't I.

But what's this on the inside...?

It's a tree. Or is it an orb?

How far does this GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Did anyone hear Chrysta Bell's rendition of the theme song? I didn't know she was a singer. I think I like it? It's pretty unique

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The sex scene was hilarious

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Today, Esco loses half of his subscribers.

The sex scene was presented as comedy, and was the funniest scene in the show.

HELLLLLOOOOOOO!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Wait, who the hell is Steven? When did we see him?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think there's no way that 3/15 pans out, as the script was written and filmed as one big movie then chopped up after. Maybe they changed the numbers afterwards but I'm not holding my breath.

Also if we don't see Ray Wise again I'll be so upset

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hot take: FWWM fan edit with the Missing Pieces is the superior version and is the only one you should watch (has the convenience store scene, the Philip scene, the normal family dinner scene, Big Ed)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Like some others have said the finale really affected me, leaving me depressed and just empty feeling. I give props to Lynch for creating that sense of dread that is probably unparalleled in TV. When Coop crosses over and everything feels off and wrong and nothing is what you want.

HOWEVER

(if there's no season 4)

I feel like this finale ruined all of Twin Peaks.

This is still fresh so I might be over reacting but I can't imagine going back to season 1 and enjoying it a fraction of how I used to, knowing that either none of this ever happens or none of this even matters or both.

Cooper changing so that he's not the person we all love, I don't like that. The one constant in Twin Peaks was Coop, and this whole show was building up to getting him back, only to change him to this rougher colder version that didn't sit well.

The finale was so just out of left field compared to everything that came before. I mean when people are posting quotes from a web site that a fictional character from the show wrote to try to make sense of things you know you're in trouble.

Also so many things didn't matter. Audrey being the worst example, but also Ben Horne, Shelly's daughter, Cole and Albert's whole investigation (Albert said nothing but "ok" for the last 5 episodes), Tammy did nothing etc.

I don't know, I loved 95% of this series and if there's another season I'll shut the hell up, but right now I don't feel good. Maybe a rewatch will help.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

JBP posted:

I get being disappointed, but season 2 ended with Coop basically being dead to the viewer and presumably being as evil as Leland. I found that hard to grapple with at what I assumed was the absolute end of the show.

I think the downer part of that was the knowledge was that it was the end of Twin Peaks. Deep down we all knew that if there had been a season 3 Coop would have come back eventually with the help of Truman and friends. This ending however, everyone is completely hosed/deleted/fundamentally changed forever. It's a bitter pill to swallow, and unlike FWWM I don't think it enhances the original at all. Like I said I think I might have ruined the original, and all because of the last half hour of S3. I really really hope there's more to come.

Edit: ^^^ I wouldn't say that Twin Peaks s1 and 2 were convoluted or hard to follow.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Audrey stuff is indefensible. Pivotal my rear end.

If Judy can just pluck Laura out of thin air at any time then... What?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I honestly thing that Lynch went with intuition and wrote whatever felt "right" so there is no answer to questions like that "what was that box" because he didn't think about it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

G-III posted:

There's more that's the payoff. To me it was 18 episodes of constant payoff.

You could argue that none of that happens though, because it never happened (that's what the finale seems to imply).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I really hope it wasn't anyone's dream.

People have talked a lot about how the first two seasons can be about the cycles of abuse, trauma, the battle between good and evil, mysticism. Saying IT WAS ALL A DREAM is incredibly unsatisfactory, borderline pointless.

Seriously, it was all a dream is on a par with characters realizing they're in a TV show for shittest storytelling device of all time. And I thought maybe they were going with that cos the final Audrey scene looked like it could be a dressing room.

Fractured dimensions I can deal with (even though the only reason there are inconsistencies in the timeline is really only because Frost and Lynch don't really care about continuity). It just really bugs me if the show we watched and loved has been erased. Bring on S4! PLEASE OH GOD

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sanschel posted:

The numbers over the sockets also look a lot like the 6 on the nefarious roaming phone pole that shows up by the Chalfont's trailer in Fire Walk With Me and outside Carrie Page's house. No idea what that could mean, of course.

Rewatching this season there's a lot of stuff that couldn't be picked up on without later info. The scene where Sarah watches the lions eat the water buffalo on tv happens immediately after Cooper is shot out of the glass box and starts falling again; chronologically immediately after he leaves is when the experiment shows up and kills Sam and Tracy in a similar fashion to the water buffalo. I also hadn't noticed Mother/experiment was holding and examining a tulpa seed when she's in the box, which she quickly puts away when she notices Sam and Tracy looking at her.

Or how Naido is so excited and desperate to communicate with Cooper when she realizes who is when they meet, and willingly sacrifices herself to throw the lever that adjusts the room below.

Laura also gets whisked away from Cooper in a manner nearly identical to how Diane's tulpa or Dougie get yanked to the Lodge.

It's a little easier to make sense of the timeline of things this go around too, knowing a lot of the earlier Lodge scenes are probably taking place in the latter episodes (except not really because I guess time doesn't matter so much there).

What was up with the arm's doppelgänger though? That's the only time we ever see a Lodge resident have a doppelgänger, right? Could that explain why sometimes the Man From Another Place seemed to be playing both sides in the original series?

I've also been mulling over the part where Laura gets pulled away; it's the only time we're ever shown what's behind the curtains of the Lodge and it's just an endless void with the horse behind it. In Carrie's house the blue plate and horse figurine forming an eye makes me wonder about the horse as a representation of being watched. Something behind the walls of the Lodge watches what's going on, and something has been watching Sarah Palmer back through the original series.

This is really interesting! A rewatch is totally in order!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Here's a question: out of everyone Lynch could show from the pilot after Laura's dead body vanishes, he chooses Josie. Just Josie. Why? Did he just like the shot? Maybe he felt bad that he didn't put her in after she petitioned for it?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think it's a legit criticism that we have no idea what Bad Cooper's plan was.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

And what's the deal with that briefcase in pulp fiction?!?

That's absurd! In Pulp Fiction we know who wants the briefcase and that whatever's in it is valuable. That's fine.

Here it looks like Bad Cooper wants Judy, who might be the same as the mother (but maybe not) , but the only thing he does is mess around with coordinates that only lead him to the real Diane that he himself put away in what might be the White Lodge (somehow). How the sense coordinates are supposed to help him get Judy (if that's what he wants) is never explained.

If the information is fresh in someone's mind can anyone break down exactly what Bad Cooper did in this season? That might help! He mainly wants to avoid going back to the black lodge, but after that...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't believe Leland was in one scene and said two words. What a loving waste.

Not sure what I think about Bob being destroyed by a guy with a garden glove. It almost seems like a pisstake.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I never had a problem with super strong Nadine. She's strong in the first episode.

Though if she had punched Bob to death in S2 followed by Coop giving her a thumbs up everyone would have poo poo on it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

At first glance Freddie and his glove does seem like something from a non-Lynch S2 episode, up there with wacky signs falling from the sky in the Black Lodge. I don't know what to make of it. It definitely wouldn't fit in FWWM

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Guys it's the internet so I'm loathe to admit this but this take, so hot, so nuclear hot, I just can't handle it alone :(

What are you babbling about? Are you having a stroke?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I quite like that DVD cover myself.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

There is not enough information to decode anything about Audrey's story so its futile even trying.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is there any proof that Judy created the dimension that Cooper and Diane went to?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Everything was intentional, especially the stuff that wasnt.

Your honor, it's all intentional. The plot lines that went nowhere, the inconsistencies, the stuff that made no sense, all of it!

(I kid, I kid)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why? It's a collaborative process. Without Frost there is no Twin Peaks. It's super lovely when people think Lynch just does it all himself, ignoring all the good, crucial work of Frost.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Christ, I still remember how just utterly depressed I was after the final episode. My friend who loves TP was the same, we spent the whole day consoling each other Haha.

Say what you want about Lynch, but man he can really mess with your head.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

"David got up, gave me a big hug, and said "Angelo, that's Twin Peaks."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can guarantee that nothing of s3 was in either of their minds while filming the pilot.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was on the Appalachian Trail when it premiered. Had to download them on wifi and watch on my phone in my hammock. I had to turn FWWM off half way through because Bob hiding behind the desk was too freaky for the middle of the woods. Definitely adds to the atmosphere haha

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think, not matter your opinion on Twin Peaks and how it handled continuity or the finale or anything like that, we can all agree that watching it every week... there was nothing else like it. And there never will be.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've watched the move thrice, first time was theatrical and second and third was fan edit. Definitely preferred the fan edit.

What's funny is that Lynch was forced to remove those scenes from the studio because it was too long, so saying that the theatrical version is some "definitive" version is guff.

And I watched it on my loving phone the third time. You try watching this movie alone in the middle of the woods at 10pm, I dare you!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's possible he changed his mind but he wrote, shot and edited those scenes together for a reason only for the studio to tell him no.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's a great quote, and actually supports the fan edit perfectly.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I'm finally reading Final Dossier, and it's definitely a very straight forward "poo poo Lynch didn't put in that we should have" thing and it's great.

Two things: the explanation for Norma's mom is good but completely unnecessary. I don't know why they added.

Second: I forgot about Philip Jeffries asking "what year is this?" That has to be linked to the finale, surely? But how I don't know. Maybe he went to a parallel universe too.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Americans call it "military time", everyone else just calls it "time"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Final Dossier is incredibly straight forward and contains none of the creativity of the Secret Dossier, but it literally spells out exactly what happens in season 3 so it's a must read.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lynch is great but I always feel sad that Frost is over looked. He's never mentioned really, and make no mistake, it wouldn't be Twin Peaks without Frost. They created it and wrote the pilot (and season 3) together.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If they're not into it after the pilot then gently caress them. No amount of hand holding or babying them to trick them away from their phones is going to cut it, and I suspect David Lynch wouldn't want them watching Twin Peaks either.

EDIT: I mean Jesus loving Christ, I got into Twin Peaks because my best friend said you gotta see this poo poo man, then gave me a cassette tape. Then I watched the cassette tape. Why do we need loving traps with sticks and mechanisms to get people to watch TV now holy poo poo

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yo, I want my friends to read Lord of the Rings. Which chapters can they skip? They get bored and start looking at sparkly things