Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
As originally written, it looks like four of the five can also cheese Shinryu, but the last party can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Lurdiak posted:

Except for that one ability, Red Mage is so bad in this game. The cutoff for what they can learn is way too harsh.

Red Mages get access to nearly every status effect, which is valuable in a game where most bosses are vulnerable to at least one. Their big issue is that they don't offer much for the very end of the game, but that goes for a few other classes as well.

Mega64 posted:

I think Geo/Ninja would be nice since it lets Geo's high magic score shine for once with !Throw.

You'll miss out on elemental boosts for most of the game, though.

Archenteron posted:

As originally written, it looks like four of the five can also cheese Shinryu, but the last party can't

Any team with at least one character capable of equipping a staff or rod can cheese Shinryu, so that's not a big issue.

Edit: Oh, you meant KataraniSword's class list? Yeah, that'd be a bit of a nuisance.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 26, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Archenteron posted:

Shifting one of team 2's mages to slot 5 would remedy that, albeit through Wonder Wand fiddling. It'd be rocket tag (given a lack of reliable blinding), but that's not any worse than clearing it with the first team.

Making a vanilla/non-job-unlock Chemist-powered team not suck before Earth Crystal (particularly on Byblos/Soul Cannon) takes a fair bit more finagling, especially if the team is basically "the peeps nobody else wants". Ninja would help on Soul Cannon, but Byblos still presents a problem since if you want to spam Fire Scrolls, you'll have to grind in the Ship Graveyard. Also, Four Thief Liquidflame. (Ughhhh....) Red Mage is a possibility, but that takes away from any enjoyment of Dualcast whatsoever.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Why not put Monk and Time Mage in group 4, replacing Geomancer and Thief respectively? The other teams don't really need them and they synergise really nicely with each other and Chemist.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why not put Monk and Time Mage in group 4, replacing Geomancer and Thief respectively? The other teams don't really need them and they synergise really nicely with each other and Chemist.

Then group 1 loses the easy Omega kill. Granted, it's still possible, in the sense that it's possible to still have a hand left after sticking it into a running garbage disposal.

Monk also synergizes better with Bard than Time Mage, I feel.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Then group 1 loses the easy Omega kill. Granted, it's still possible, in the sense that it's possible to still have a hand left after sticking it into a running garbage disposal.

Fair point, although quickleaking Omega isn't very interesting either. Maybe just the let poor guy live for once.

KataraniSword posted:

Monk also synergizes better with Bard than Time Mage, I feel.

I agree, but Chemist and Monk is like a match made in heaven. Nothing saves the class quite as much as !Drink does.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
!mix saves it more though

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Ablative posted:

Wow. I did not notice.

Also, the mod does change one thing other than unlocking all the jobs. It's purely aesthetic, but it's wonderful.

I'm whooshing, what's the other change?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bregor posted:

I'm whooshing, what's the other change?

Changes Neo-Exdeath into a giant cactuar, as I recall.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Supremezero posted:

Changes Neo-Exdeath into a giant cactuar, as I recall.

With a Mexican mustache

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ZiegeDame posted:

Yet another year I find myself wishing there was a mode where I could sign up for 5 consecutive runs with no duplicate jobs. Which got be thinking of a fun bit of theory crafting to kill time until the fiesta starts.

If you had to complete 5 separate runs using each job once and only once, how would you distribute those jobs?

I got as far as:
Time Mage, , ,
Beastmaseter, , ,
Bard, , ,
Chemist, , ,
Mystic Knight, Ranger, ,

This gives each team a shot at beating Omega. You'd probably want to stuff all the lovely jobs with Chemist, because even a Geomancer can use Mix.

What does everyone else think?

Decided to put way more thought into this than strictly necessary:

Time Mage, Berserker, Samurai, Thief
Beastmaster, Blue Mage, Dragoon, Ninja
Bard, Summoner, Geomancer, Knight
Chemist, Monk, Black Mage, Dancer
Mystic Knight, Ranger, White Mage, Red Mage

Team #1: This is the "lets give Berserker some useful abilities" team. Berserker's one of the few classes that wants Artful Dodger, there might also be some times where the Berserker wants Equip Katana. Haste also helps shore up Berserker speed issues.

Team #2: Beastmaster/Blue Mage combo is obvious. Dragoon & Ninja have pretty good synergy actually. If we're in Mobile/Steam then !Jump with a pair of Twin Lances is hilarious, but then again that means this party doesn't have an Omega kill. Dual wield helps Dragoon's lackluster offense. They also makes a pretty good !Blue Magic user.

Team #3: Geomancer can be a good back-up !Singer or !Summoner. Between Bard, Summoner and Geomancer you don't really have to worry about random encounters, and nobody here really wants the Chicken Knife, so Knight is free to Two Hand the Brave Blade to their heart's content.

Team #4: Drunken Fist Monk. Black Mage and Monk should help each other through most of the World 1 roadblocks until Chemist and Dancer shows up.

Team #5: Red Mage was hard to place... I originally had Black Mage here but the lack of multi-target White Magic buffs makes me think White Mage wants X-Magic more.

Every group has a good/decent Chicken Knife user except #3, which picks up the Brave Blade. Every group can deal with Rug Wizard without any kind of obnoxious shenanigans. Team #1 maybe hits a few world 1 roadblocks until it gets some better offense, but I can't think of big issues any of these teams should encounter throughout the game. Might be missing something.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

Yet another year I find myself wishing there was a mode where I could sign up for 5 consecutive runs with no duplicate jobs. Which got be thinking of a fun bit of theory crafting to kill time until the fiesta starts.

If you had to complete 5 separate runs using each job once and only once, how would you distribute those jobs?

I got as far as:
Time Mage, , ,
Beastmaseter, , ,
Bard, , ,
Chemist, , ,
Mystic Knight, Ranger, ,

This gives each team a shot at beating Omega. You'd probably want to stuff all the lovely jobs with Chemist, because even a Geomancer can use Mix.

What does everyone else think?

Alright, so for myself I'd structure everything to maximize the chances of me actually finishing five runs. This means going for speed and variety as opposed to power or worrying about superbosses.

First:
Time Mage, Red Mage, Berserker, Monk
Barehanded Berserker will handle everything Death Sickles can't until somewhere around Neo Exdeath. At which point we can jump on the "two characters can fling five Meteors a turn" thing, and the Monk can play Protect monkey.

Mystic Knight, Dancer, Thief, Dragoon
Dragoon works with basically nothing, so might as well toss it here. That is, with the one class that can give it something useful: Equip Ribbons. Sword Magic makes Thief not a joke and Dancer amusing.

Summoner, Black Mage, Geomancer, Samurai
Team wipe the board. Geomancer's there to give Summoner and Black Mage something to do if I feel like conserving MP before !Iainuki. It's also for an ever so slightly nice bit of synergy: the Rune Chime, should I choose to hate myself, is a second Magus Rod for boosting both Syldra and Phoenix without weapon swaps.

White Mage, Knight, Beastmaster, Bard
Team Equip Shields.

No really. They're gonna steal four Aegis Shields in the endgame and laugh at Neo Exdeath while they hack away in their invincibility. On the way there Knights want Brave Blade (because someone has to love the weapon) and the Bard's status songs work well with actually fighting battles, as do !Catching things and using White Magic.

Chemist, Blue Mage, Ninja, Ranger
Team overpowered.

I mean, there's more than four overpowered jobs in FFV, so what're you gonna do? Chemist makes any team good but it's so tedious winning with a Chemist and some subset of Monk/Thief/Geomancer/Red Mage/whatever. Instead, Chemist is here to improve everyone! Ninja and Ranger equip !Rapid Fire and get level boosted. Blue Mage equips Drink (I mean, I could use !Mix as well but let's be different) for double HP to White Wind everyone to health and then to chug Power Drinks and fling boosted Goblin Punch Excalipoors. Chemist buffs everyone and would play support if everything weren't going to die basically instantly after two rounds of setup.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
never, ever take the brave blade

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
by the way, i posted a $5-per unlimited bounty for getting knight and not taking the brave blade last fiesta and to the best of my knowledge nobody ever took me up on it. offer's still open.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Reiterpallasch posted:

by the way, i posted a $5-per unlimited bounty for getting knight and not taking the brave blade last fiesta and to the best of my knowledge nobody ever took me up on it. offer's still open.

I actually never got a Knight in 2016, believe it or not, or I would have. :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Khisanth Magus posted:

With a Mexican mustache

In other words, a Jumbo Cactuar. (those are standard on them)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Reiterpallasch posted:

I'm almost certain I didn't take either last year, because I got the Trasson.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

never, ever take the brave blade

Man, I take it and use it because it's worse than the Chicken Knife. If I've only got a single Knight it's likely I'm actually just gonna use the Defender because weapon block and free Protect beats 50% extra attack basically all the time.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

I can't wait for this and other conditional pledges to be officially posted.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Re: talk of brave blade

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/748302613318238208

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Always take the Brave Blade because hitting for ~4000 damage on a normal attack is hilarious. Also because it makes some people really mad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you go Brave Blade I loving swear I'll stick an all-Geomancer party on you, don't make me do it I'm serious.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mega64 posted:

If you go Brave Blade I loving swear I'll stick an all-Geomancer party on you, don't make me do it I'm serious.

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of this quad-Thief party.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Samuel Clemens posted:

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of this quad-Thief party.

And I can't hear him over the sound of how loving BRAVE I am!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TBH I only ever go for chicken knife if I have a dancer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I take the Chicken Knife and immediately sell it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I throw it on a Berserker and use it on Shinryu :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Bufuman posted:

And I can't hear him over the sound of how loving BRAVE I am!

I full power brave bladed last year too. Running is for cowards :black101:

I also got 100% blue magic that run. Beastmaster helped, but my 4th was samurai. Good luck getting some of those blues without a reliable way to aim a reflect spell, and without running to reset battles...

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

2015 was my first Fiesta, and also my first time playing FFV ever. I rolled random with BerserkerRisk, got a Knight/Zerk/Ninja/RedMage party.

Not only did I get the Brave Blade, but since it was my first ever run, I went and got all 4 tablets.

Edit: Also, a 5-run rush like the plans mentioned above sound pretty interesting. That'd be a cool challenge mode for this year-- PureChaos without repeats across runs.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 27, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

StrangeAeon posted:

Not only did I get the Brave Blade, but since it was my first ever run, I went and got all 4 tablets.

:wtc:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Well, when it's your first run it's much harder to lose patience.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Is there anything an official promo poster? Could we make one? I'd like to promote this at my local children's hospital.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

StrangeAeon posted:

Is there anything an official promo poster? Could we make one? I'd like to promote this at my local children's hospital.

The ultimate poster for the ultimate charity.

There doesn't appear to be an official one. Maybe take one of the boxarts and tack "Four Job Fiesta" on it somewhere? Or maybe the banner from RK's patreon?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Remember, Liquid Flame's HP is equal to 2 Ice rods.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

This is real dumb, but I think we came up with the ultimate strategy

https://gfycat.com/KnobbyImpressiveDromedary

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Couple questions, while I'm thinking of it:

Does anyone have a link to the previous Runs (the opening speedruns)? I used to have them, but I lost my harddrive last fall, so...

Does anyone know yet when this year's opening Run will take place? I want to request time off of work for it if I can. :3:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

StrangeAeon posted:

Couple questions, while I'm thinking of it:

Does anyone have a link to the previous Runs (the opening speedruns)? I used to have them, but I lost my harddrive last fall, so...

Does anyone know yet when this year's opening Run will take place? I want to request time off of work for it if I can. :3:

the previous runs are up on RPG Limit Break's youtube page. 2015's here and here (part2) and 2016's here

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

StrangeAeon posted:

It's usually about two weeks into June; I'm not sure of the exact date, but at the absolute latest you'll know by this Thursday when prereg starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Huzzah! posted:

the previous runs are up on RPG Limit Break's youtube page. 2015's here and here (part2) and 2016's here

And 2014's is here, at least DD's part of it.

• Locked thread