Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Detheros posted:

Looking forward to toxxing myself north of $1000 again this year for more stupid poo poo. :allears:

Look, nobody expected Dragondarch to be so fantastically awful last year.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I tend to make it roughly two weeks before preregistration starts, so people can start filtering into IRC, etc. :)

Out of curiosity, have you considered setting up a discord for it, too? That seems to be the direction a lot of IRC stuff is headed, and I'm curious of your thoughts on it.
Basically I'm worried about this happening:

AlphaKretin posted:

I dunno if I'll be terribly active on the IRC this year though, I've gotten into Discord in a big way since last and two chat programs at once is a bit much to juggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

I've thought about it, but the biggest issue is I know basically gently caress-all about Discord bots, and I'd hate to lose Carbybot's functionality.

I figured the reason was something like that, but being a dumb non-programmer"ideas guy" myself I dunno how to help. :(

NGDBSS posted:

That said, you're using the Steam version, which is based on the iOS/Android version...which was conjured up by incompetent One True Way-ists rather than SE itself. So there will be some otherwise reasonable strategies and ideas that will not work on that version - the biggest one that people cite is that Omniscient's Return counter will work even through Berserk. (Chemists also had a few of their abilities suddenly suffering miss rates.) If you're still comfortable with using it, then by all means use it, but otherwise a lot of people will recommend that you emulate the GBA version instead.

Speaking of which, I glanced at the much maligned subreddit and they're actually starting to get an itemized list of the actual changes in the game here. I notice they don't mention the godawful pigeon chests as a negative change.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

I saw that list as well and mentioned it on IRC. Though I'm guessing that they were only compiling the mechanical changes, as there's a lot of (digital) ink you can already find on how the pigeon chests were a poor choice.

Some of these are just mechanically awful design choices, though.

FF5 Mobile posted:

Liquid Flame is now always placed in the back row.

Because it wasn't ENOUGH of a nightmare without a rod-snapping class!

FF5 Mobile posted:

Self-Destruct no longer automatically ends the Exdeath/Galuf fight. It is assumed (but hasn't been tested) that other ways to quickly end the fight without damaging Exdeath also no longer work.

Sucks if your Galuf is stuck as a naked white mage like in OFS's attempts.

FF5 Mobile posted:

Reflecting Search back onto Omega no longer impacts his ability to counter your own party.

So basically if you don't have Romeo's Ballad (!Calm doesn't work any more) you better be ready to eat constant Rocket Punches and Mustard Bombs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Those Mobile changes look awful on balance. Good thing they can't take my GBA cart away.

(even if I'm pretty sure it's a fake, because it can't Quicksave)

The mobile changes are designed for the average person who plays the game "master all jobs, run around with OP freelancers" style.

Which is the exact opposite of why the Fiesta works.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

They've never been in LP. :shobon:

No, though Mega tried to do the single class challenge thread around the time the last FJF happened, which was how a lot of new goons found last year's FJF thread.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Dancer: !Dance and pray. There's your entire strategy.
Dragoon: !Jump and pray. !Lance MP from the more difficult mage foes. Pray for jobs with better abilities.

Good to know nothing has changed about the two worst Earth jobs by getting them early. :haw:

Though I'm curious how many levels you have to get with a Dancer start so that you're not staring down Karlabos/Siren with double-digit Max HP.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

With that team, who needs healing?

High DEF enemies and attempts to catch pokemon were likely the big culprits for taking loads of damage; two scroll-chuckers isn't enough to keep from soaking some hits, and if Zeninage can't contribute...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The only good way to run a Classic run is to pull out your NES (or your GBA copy of Dawn of Souls) and just loving play FF1 since your nostalgia thirst is that unbearable. The FF1-styled classes are 50% garbage and god help your soul if you get 4x Thief/Monk/Red Mage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Also,

ZiegeDame posted:

Yet another year I find myself wishing there was a mode where I could sign up for 5 consecutive runs with no duplicate jobs. Which got be thinking of a fun bit of theory crafting to kill time until the fiesta starts.

If you had to complete 5 separate runs using each job once and only once, how would you distribute those jobs?

I got as far as:
Time Mage, , ,
Beastmaseter, , ,
Bard, , ,
Chemist, , ,
Mystic Knight, Ranger, ,

This gives each team a shot at beating Omega. You'd probably want to stuff all the lovely jobs with Chemist, because even a Geomancer can use Mix.

What does everyone else think?

Based on your starts:

Time Mage/Summoner/Red Mage/Samurai aka "team making GBS threads out damage"; even a Red Mage can use !Zeninage, and Time Mage and Summoner both love Dualcast.
Beastmaster/Black Mage/Blue Mage/Knight aka "the brute force method"; not much finesse here past pokemon antics and juggling flame and/or wall rings for defense.
Bard/Monk/White Mage/Dragoon aka "sing 2 win"; Bard needs something that can pierce defenses or else it can't beat Omega, Dragoons jumping with Tridents manages that (as do Monk criticals, though that's less feasible in an Omega fight). Bard makes Monk not poo poo. White Mage keeps your two damage sponges standing.
Chemist/Geomancer/Dancer/Thief aka "chemist solo run". None of these classes work great overall, though Chicken Dancing provides a late-game offensive alternative to !Mix spam. Thief makes life minorly easier, but not much.
Mystic Knight/Ranger/Ninja/Berserker aka ":black101:". Berserker likes Dual Wield. Ranger and Mystic Knight like !Rapidfire. Ninja likes everything.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Archenteron posted:

As originally written, it looks like four of the five can also cheese Shinryu, but the last party can't

Shifting one of team 2's mages to slot 5 would remedy that, albeit through Wonder Wand fiddling. It'd be rocket tag (given a lack of reliable blinding), but that's not any worse than clearing it with the first team.

Making a vanilla/non-job-unlock Chemist-powered team not suck before Earth Crystal (particularly on Byblos/Soul Cannon) takes a fair bit more finagling, especially if the team is basically "the peeps nobody else wants". Ninja would help on Soul Cannon, but Byblos still presents a problem since if you want to spam Fire Scrolls, you'll have to grind in the Ship Graveyard. Also, Four Thief Liquidflame. (Ughhhh....) Red Mage is a possibility, but that takes away from any enjoyment of Dualcast whatsoever.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why not put Monk and Time Mage in group 4, replacing Geomancer and Thief respectively? The other teams don't really need them and they synergise really nicely with each other and Chemist.

Then group 1 loses the easy Omega kill. Granted, it's still possible, in the sense that it's possible to still have a hand left after sticking it into a running garbage disposal.

Monk also synergizes better with Bard than Time Mage, I feel.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

StrangeAeon posted:

Does anyone know yet when this year's opening Run will take place? I want to request time off of work for it if I can. :3:

It's usually about two weeks into June; I'm not sure of the exact date, but at the absolute latest you'll know by this Thursday when prereg starts.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

At the same time, I can't blame him. That Dragon Fang meltdown last year followed by just dead, unconscious silence at the very end? That would be soulcrushing for anyone, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I mean, that's what he gets for waiting until the absolute last minute to "plan a route", only to come into the run about 72 hours sleep deprived. Part of me would think it was an elaborate jape on the audience, but no, he just DSP'd the hell out of that run.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Just put the Berserker down, it's a Time Honored Tradition.

"Welp, time to get ready for sandworm," he said, pulling Lenna behind the toolshed with a 12-gauge.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Anyway, I've actually got a decent internet connection this year, having finally discovered an ISP that covers my town (aside from CenturyLink and their utter refusal to pack higher than a 7 Mbps connection in my mostly-rural area), so now that I've got a decent 30 Mbps connection, I've been getting into streaming and figure I might as well do so for my FJF runs. Anyone know if I'm able to do that with VBA? Or would I need some other program to stream my poo poo on Twitch?

OBS works just fine with Twitch and that will stream just about anything that's on your desktop.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

A Normal Run is still pretty challenging and probably the best way to do your first fiesta.

This.

That said, if you want the absolute easiest run possible, do a straight 750 run with no modifiers. That guarantees your first crystal will be a good job, and gives you a 66% of doing amazing with the Water crystal, so no matter what you have a party to take you to the endgame; the only real "bad" roll you can get is White Mage/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer, also known as "this team will spend the first 90% of the game doing virtually nothing and then suddenly become murdertrains".

EDIT: Red Mage is worse for the water crystal in the endgame (aside from dualcasting Holies) but rod-boosted -aras get rid of all of the World 1 problems the team has - which is to say Byblos, Adamantite, and Sol Cannon. Doing those with only !Gaia to do damage with is Less Than Pleasant.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 1, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, a normal run is nice because you rarely get completely carried, but you almost never get a truly horrible team either. Like, absolute worst case is probably Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon, and not only is that team still better than some of the possible Chaos compositions, the chance of actually rolling it is super small.

Thief (or Monk)/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer.

Admittedly, !Red 3 on a Geomancer is perfectly usable, but Red Mage is basically a wasted slot if it doesn't have any better mages to leech stats off of. Dancer is just a less reliable Thief that dies in even fewer hits. Monk is Monk.

EDIT: Yes, I know, Equip Ribbons is huge, but it doesn't make up for that godawful HP. When your thief would be the party tank...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Honestly, I've found in FF5, the dumbest questions aren't the ones you ask, but the ones you refuse to ask because "you've run the numbers, this way is just better".

Exception: "Where's the loving Dragon Fang?"

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MotU posted:

it only doesnt make sense if you take the 'pure' to mean absolute chaos

Unless you play the Extra Spicy variant of the randomizer Worms just put out. Oops, Faris is a thiefgoon with Equip Ribbons.

Also, I have realized that Monk's utility goes completely the opposite direction once you replace !Kick with a command that isn't hot garbage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mr. Maltose posted:

If we get 20K I will buy a good game and stream having fun doesn't really sell in Peoria I guess.

There are two things RK is known for: The fiesta and having bad taste that is the polar opposite of most sane people goons. He thinks pretty much all of the Ivalice games are an abomination, especially FFT.

He's not gonna have fun. :getin:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Trasson posted:

Somewhere between RPGe deciding to use "Blow Fish" for 1000 Needles (for recognizability because that's what the most recent mainline game did) and taking the entire rewritten English script of FFV and handing out your own derivation of it there's a line you're crossing, and it's not a line that ought to be crossed. If people want the GBA translation, then they should go play that one (or dump the script and insert it themselves). Not everyone will necessarily agree on the finer points of this last note, but the general principle holds: make your own hack, don't just copy someone else's work.

I mean, there's a hack for the PSX FFT that doesn't do anything but add in the PSP version's script. So. :shrug:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

But why would you even want this. Isn't the PSP script dry as hell?

It's a sacrifice either way you slice it: either you get the dry, hamhanded prose, or you get dialogue at points that is absolutely incomprehensible and dragons attacking you with bracelets.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wait what did DDarch do last year?

Went into his pre-run routing stream 24 hours before the run, insistent that he would never use Death By Math (read: level manipulation to trigger L5Death on bosses) but instead planning his whole route around level manipulation for Goblin Punch, which gets the notable 8x multiplier if you're the same level as the enemy.

He did that routing stream 24 hours before the run, already on 48 hours without sleep. He finished that routing stream an hour and a half before the run started.

He was on three days of sleep deprivation on top of his normal ego-stroking refusal to try alternate methods. This led to many issues including, as stated, total party wiping to a random encounter in the Wind Shrine, totally breaking down and losing his poo poo because he accidentally sold a Dragon Fang he'd needed for a boss mix, followed by several hours of zombie-like silence as he shambled across the finish line in dead last.

It was... it was kind of depressing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Supremezero posted:

Pretty sure Berserk is the option of choice, since Silence just wears off/fails. You use Silence if you have Mystic Knights instead, via Silence Sword.

Yeah, since Berserk is in that violent limbo of "we say this is a buff but it's really a debuff", it auto-hits. Silence has to deal with the magic-evasion formula and Silence's 75% Hit Rate. (Spellblades naturally hit if the attack hits.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I had everyone equipped with mythril hammers, for some reason Lenna was just hitting way less often than everyone else. I must have got stuck in a phase with higher evasion or something.

edit: or is that symbol an axe and my eyes are just bad? It's just called "mythril" but it looks like a hammer.

It's a hammer.

However, hammers are functionally identical to axes, the difference is icons. Equip Axe allows a class to use either of them, they have the same low (usually 70-80%) hit rate, they both have the same swingy unreliable damage.

e:f;b, that'll teach me to reply before refreshing the page if I had to go AFK.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I never caught (:haw:) how he goes about snagging one, but it's a really interesting thing to consider.

My speculation based on release lists: Moogle Eaters (the octopi from the underground waterway) cast Aqua Breath when released. Sandcrawlers are desert monsters and thus take 8x damage from Aqua Breath, meaning it's likely to do a static 9999 to them. Should only take one of those if he has the gourd - though naturally that involves going out of your way to grab a Sandcrawler after Dragon Pod but before Moore.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lurdiak posted:

You'd be surprised how many classic JRPGs have status ailments and instant death spells that actually work but go ignored by the player. FF4, 6 and 7 teach horrible habits.

Even in FF4, Slow works on pretty much everything except the final boss and turns the game from a nightmare to beatable. Sap is pretty useful, too, and is the one reason Bio still sees use after Flare comes around.

Status in 6 and 7 are mostly bad because the games give you so many flavors of "do a boatload of damage" that you really don't need to bother looking at status effects. It's the Single Player Pokemon problem: "why would I waste time with things that are not Damage when the quickest way through a battle is to do damage constantly?"

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Feldegast42 posted:

I ended up with Blue Mage / Time Mage / Bard / Chemist. (Yeah I know I technically need Thief and Beastmaster for the temple but I'll temp sub in their skills when necessary). Goal is to also triple crown "legitly" (which means no berserk / quick leak / lvl 5 death shenanigans). I'll still start a run and job fair to that team so at least some money goes to a good place.

If !Mix is legal, I don't see why Berserk shouldn't be. It's a valid strategy that the game legitimately intends you to use on Shinryu, unlike other bosses - most bosses have an immunity of it that you'd have to use !Mix to bypass, but Shin does not.

That's like saying "I want to defeat Omega without using !Sing" when that's more or less the intended method.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Similarly, declaring death by math off the table is dragondarchy as gently caress nonsense because the immunity to death bypass is hard-coded into the ability.

I mean, I'd say Death By Mathing Omega/Shin is kind of not kosher anyway, but that's less because it's bad and more because it's actually harder than doing things the intended way. It's like trying to do skateboard tricks on skis. Is it really worth it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can you not level Omega up to 255 if you Dragon Power him enough? And L5 death him that way, I mean. Not that I'd ever thought of trying.

I think L5 Death respects reflect, meaning you can't actually tag him even if the level is right.

I know the other Math Magics (L2 Old, L3 Flare, L4 Graviga) bounce off a reflect, so there's no reason L5 Death wouldn't.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwarzwald posted:

Haste shoes are probably the best in general,

To clarify on this, since the game itself isn't forthcoming about it, technically Hermes Sandals do one thing, give a character "Always: Haste".

On a more nitty-gritty level, that means they prevent absolute anything else that has an effect on ATB speed from hitting. Slow and Stop are the obvious ones there, but the less obvious are Sleep and Paralyze. Coincidentally, these are all statuses that the Ribbon does not block. (Ribbon in FF5 blocks Instant KO, Petrify, Frog, Blind, Poison, Old, Berserk, and Silence)

The Hermes Sandals are amazing and generally you'll want a full team wearing them once you can get to World 3 outside of incredibly niche situations (needing Reflect or elemental absorbtion against a boss, typically in non-standard Omega or Shinryu strategies)

Until then, Elven Mantles are great since they give an added chance to evade physical attacks (and it stacks with the Samurai's Shirahadori, shields, and Main Gauche/Sasuke's Katana blocking, for what it's worth). Outside of job-specific accessories (Thief's Glove, Kornago Gourd) you generally will only use other accessories to fill an empty slot. Most of them aren't good.

tl;dr: Hermes Sandals are best, Elf Mantles are second best, Reflect Rings and Elemental/Angel Rings are good for unusual setups. Everything else is trash garbage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rirse posted:

Does the Fiesta start immediately upon someone finishing the run, or all fourthree who are streaming need to be done?

Depends on how RK is feeling. Usually he waits until all the runners are finished to rev up Gilgabot, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samurai and 3 Zerks. World 1 was an exercise in making it rain. World 2 was an exercise in plowing through random battles with four killdozers (that sometimes made things worse, instead, oops Death Sickle procs on Reflect Knights.)

World 3 is an exercise in "where's the best place to grind with three people who are too angry to take down an iron giant safely". There's no way I'm doing NED at Lv33ish, I need to get more levels. And maybe elixirs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I overprepared, but even then I got three wipes to Ondore's Lies Grand Cross. (First time it berserked the samurai, then instant death, then zombie).

Another one for the Basch pool, I suppose.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sushi Face posted:

This is exactly what I have!

I got to Purobolos and now I am completely stuck. How am I supposed to whittle them down? Should I just wait it out and revive till they kill themselves?

Equip Mage Mashers and try to rush down any that get silenced. Equip Deathsicles and hope for lucky instant death procs.

Either way it's pure RNG outside of just facetanking it. It's worth noting that each one only has the MP for two Arises, so even if you have to grind them down one at a time it's theoretically possible.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pookum posted:

It's my first time playing any final fantasy game and I just got berserker at the water crystal haha.

One berserker is surprisingly good. You lose the ability to control that character, and axes are kind of inaccurate, but they're meatwalls that take a lot of abuse, do a decent chunk of damage, and make an excellent chassis to staple passives onto.

The benefit of berserkers rapidly becomes a severe handicap once you get multiples, though; turns out that having control of a character in order to do things like heal or, in some cases, Just Not Attack That Thing That Will Counter Attack You Into Oblivion, is super useful and not a thing you want to give up too much.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Then why are they in the 750 set?

Because if it was only rod-snappin' classes, 750 runs would be 100% frontloaded and unable to have Fire/Earth crystal jobs, unless you want to squint and let chemist (staff-snappin') in as a technicality. RK expanded it for those two crystals to make it "squishy mage-esque jobs", so Bard, Geomancer, and Dancer go thrown into the pot.

Blastinus posted:

First team: White Mage, Blue Mage, Berserker, and Dancer. This is a surprisingly well-balanced party, all things considered, though I'm not sure what passive skill I'd even slap on the 'zerker. Learning, maybe?

Equip Ribbons. A Berserker with a Ribbon, Aegis Shield, and Hermes Sandals is, to my knowledge, immune to almost every - if not every - status effect in the game.

Alternately, equip !White Lv6 on your berserker, use the boost in magic to turbocharge Rune Axe damage, and use the spare MP for out of battle healing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that the best place to grind in W3? Asking for a :black101: "friend".

If you've got a heavy object and no need to heal, yes, if only because you can just hold down the up button and walk away for a few years. It's entirely automated.

There's other places that are more efficient per-battle, or give good drops. But that's the "easiest".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So, basically what I'm hearing is, if I don't have a whitemage for berserk, a bard for love song, or a chemist for !Mix shenanigans, Shinryu and Omega aren't really doable with a lot of fiesta team compositions?

Any staff-using class can farm up a Power Staff from Black Warlocks in Exdeath's Castle in W2. It exists only to berserk things. Any rod-using class can cycle through the Wonder Wand's spells until they get to Berserk and use it that way. Beastmaster can !Catch Mammons in the screen where Twintania fights you, which release to cast Berserk. You can't target it, though, so you have to get lucky with it bouncing off a sacrificial Reflect Ring holder. Barring that, with enough Coral Rings and Ice Shields you can neutralize a huge part of Shinryu's offense, and raw level-driven HP can get you through the rest to brute force it.

Shinryu is not hard to kill if you know how, it's just a matter of if it's worth the time.

Omega, on the other hand... if you don't have a Bard (Romeo's Ballad), Chemist (!Mix fun), or Beastmaster (!Calm, in GBA only), you're gonna have a bad time. If you don't have a way of dealing piercing damage through innate reflect and 95% evasion, you might as well write it off as actually impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vernatio posted:

https://i.imgur.com/2oSMEWm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5BO3Swp.jpg
i'm a brave boy

Maybe I was doing it wrong, but despite having a Chemist, it was weirdly my Geomancer and Knight pulling the weight in random encounters and boss fights, respectively. Chemist buffed them up and gave them tools for success, but wasn't as useful on its own. I was probably missing something obvious. Buffing up to level 99 and hitting the damage cap with the Brave Blade was fun, though!

The strength of !Mix is its versatility; every job is improved by its use. Ask yourself - as much as the Geomancer and Knight were holding up the team, how much was the Chemist helping them do that?

If Chemist is all you have, though (say you pulled a team utterly unfit for boss crushing - Red Mage, Geomancer, Thief) then you're gonna be getting by on Succubus Kisses and their absurd 255 power.

Basically, though, there is not an instance where a Chemist cannot provide a solution to a problem, unless that problem is "I need to grind turtle shells/dragon fangs".

• Locked thread