Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh hell yes.

e: Add me another in favor of Discord, it's pretty much replaced IRC for me. But I'll still hang out wherever we end up.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Sounds like cheating to me. I thought the whole point of the Fiesta was to make things more challenging by limiting your options, so why are we encouraging people to circumvent that?

Then you'd really hate the fact that the OP also links to the Balance Mod.

Having all jobs unlocked at the start isn't really as game-breaking at it seems, especially since the game doesn't expect those jobs to be around. Bards are useless, Chemists take awhile to get their usual broken selves due to item placement, Dragoons are meh without spears (and meh with), etc.

Maybe I could go over each boss and how extra jobs would affect those later.

Samuel Clemens posted:

That does make me wonder something. Since RK mentioned he doesn't like the Fiesta mod, how is Chaos supposed to work if your first job is from the Earth Crystal, but subsequent ones aren't. Say you get Samurai/Black Mage. Are you supposed to make everyone a Black Mage at the Water Crystal? Or at the Wind Crystal? Or go with a mix of Freelancers and Black Mages? Or not use the Black Mage at all until you've unlocked Samurai?

If Wind is Samurai and Water is Black Mage, then everyone stays Freelancers until Water. Then everyone is Black Mages. Then once you hit Earth you'll have Black Mage/Samurai/Other 2 jobs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I still need to get around to getting that archived.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Having all jobs unlocked at the start isn't really as game-breaking at it seems, especially since the game doesn't expect those jobs to be around. Bards are useless, Chemists take awhile to get their usual broken selves due to item placement, Dragoons are meh without spears (and meh with), etc.

Maybe I could go over each boss and how extra jobs would affect those later.

Was curious and love dedicating free time to FF5 stuff, so why not?

Berserker: Karlabos, Siren, and Magisa are all going to be annoying but doable. Garula should be simple due to heavy armor.
Mystic Knight: Karlabos and Siren have weaknesses MK can exploit. Magisa can be Silenced, Forza can be Sleeped. Heavy armor nerfs Garula.
Red Mage: Pretty much same strategies as MK, except Protect for Garula.
Summoner: Karlabos and Siren are going to suck. Break rod on Magisa, Sylph Garula.
Time Mage: Same as Summoner, except buff like hell for Garula and Flail it to death.

Beastmaster: Not going to go through each monster for each boss, but Beastmaster has a load of options. It can Flare Karlabos, petrify Siren, blind Forza, kill Garula and Liquid Flame. Beastmasters are actually more broken before you get them.
Geomancer: !Gaia rocks until Liquid Flame, then you gotta knife/bell it to death. Another job easier before you get it.
Ninja: !Image will help a ton with the early bosses, nullifying a lot of Karlabos, Siren, Forza, and Garula's offenses. Liquid Flame won't be too bad either.

Bard: Ahahahahaha. Hide out MP for Siren, Magisa, Liquid Flame, Ifrit, Byblos. Forza, Garula, and Byblos are still going to be unpleasant. Pray you get fire damage from your second job for Byblos.
Ranger: Pretty much !Animal abuse the whole way through. Biggest challenge is remembering to get the Flame Bow drop from Liquid Flame to make Byblos doable.

Chemist: Karlabos will be difficult, Siren less so. After that you can buy supplies to abuse !Mix and, well, at that point it's the freaking Chemist.
Dancer: !Dance and pray. There's your entire strategy.
Dragoon: !Jump and pray. !Lance MP from the more difficult mage foes. Pray for jobs with better abilities.
Samurai: Throw money at the problem, and enjoy the bonus evasion and early Katana.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

I could've sworn last year he did open it up; the only restriction was that Mime/Freelancer were still Earth-only.

I switched a team to all-Freelancers last year so not even that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Natural has each character stuck in one job and not able to use other jobs. Classic is the same except each character is one of the six jobs from FF1. Both are boring and miss the whole point of the Fiesta, mixing and matching jobs to your advantage.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Except for that one ability, Red Mage is so bad in this game. The cutoff for what they can learn is way too harsh.

Simply adding L4 magic would help tremendously.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think Geo/Ninja would be nice since it lets Geo's high magic score shine for once with !Throw.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you go Brave Blade I loving swear I'll stick an all-Geomancer party on you, don't make me do it I'm serious.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I take the Chicken Knife and immediately sell it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Last year, he spent like 18 hours on his routing run, finishing three hours before the official run began. Then he was trying to grind Faris solo for one of his elaborate insane level-based strategies because Dragondarch, but ends up wiping and, because he didn't save, had to restart from the very beginning.

I was really looking forward to see how he could top that, but I guess he realized that's peak Dragondarch and he couldn't fail more spectacularly from there. A great shame.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Reminder to join the Discord while we wait.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just going #PureChaos. #Fifthjob seems dumb without the proper circumstances, and would rather have Zerkers be a pleasant surprise rather than be forced with one (plus I've put my time in with Zerkers).

Can Of Worms posted:

Greetings, Fiesta-havers, I've started a small project to make this year's Fiesta extra spicy! It's about 60% done, but I just finished coding one of the more complex pieces, so here's a preview:

I am excited.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I kinda want to see jobs where strategies might actually diverge (and not in the Dragondarch way). Probably going to be hard to find a party where you might have several viable strategies for several bosses though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I haven't played FFV since I was a kid, so I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the mechanics, but I also don't want to shame the spirits of my ancestors by being a baby and taking the easiest route - what kind of run should I do?

A Normal Run is still pretty challenging and probably the best way to do your first fiesta.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's a team where the job with the most synergy is freaking Berserker, the job that literally has one useful ability to pass on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Koobes posted:

Because I am a goofball who absolutely loves FF12, here's a Bartz naming :toxx: drive for some donations.

Don't listen to Ondores lies! Bartz Basch Lives!

Every completed fiesta with Basch will have me give up $5 to charity.(up to a max of $200)

So down.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm fine adding another hour or two to the run if it means more money for charity.

Plus half the time RK doesn't start things on time anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've got a request to make a Drop/Steal guide, so I've got one in progress. Up to North Mountain so far, will get some more work in tomorrow and this weekend. Right now I've got it organized by progress of game, but may do it by item too if there's interest.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You're relying on a 33% chance proc multiple times in a row before he gets to the -aga stage where you can watch him die.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

So what's the beastmaster catch of choice for dealing with Byblos?

Page 32's Banish, but you can also just use the Whip to paralyze him. It lasts awhile since he's not Heavy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

berenzen posted:

Anyone have the catch/release guide for beastmasters throughout the game?

Kyro typed one up for each boss.

As you may expect, lots of bears.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

In a quick run, I'd imagine you'd just have two !White bots and rely on buffs and Axe/!Jump access until Holy is available. That's probably one run !Catch wouldn't factor in so heavily for me. I'd probably be more excited for Equip Whips for the Zerker than !Catch.

!Catch is great but you never really need to Catch things, besides maybe a Crystelle to survive Almagest at reasonable levels. It speeds things up a good bit, but even if you waited to grind Movers to get multiple !Catches it'd probably take longer to get the necessary monsters than to fight NED and kill it with most parties, this one included.

For me, Beastmasters are great because Whips are great and they can !Calmlock Omega. !Catch is just a nice bonus.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sax Solo posted:

I've been having fun taking FFT portraits (from here) and smashing them into FF5A. Noses appeared in the process. Pretty happy with the results (especially best dad Xezat) though of course I didn't do much. I might put up a patch for download if I get it working (and after a post on that forum).

Beautiful loving work!

Good lord that Soul Cannon fight sucked rear end. Thought I would be clever and release a Zuu to cut a huge chunk of his health, but it didn't do anything. Whoops.

Soul Cannon is immune to Wind. A Geomancer's worst nightmare.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Sealed Temple might be a load of bullshit but it's still way better than the extra content from Chrono Trigger DS.

The post-game dungeon was alright. The other one, though...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Hrmmm, what's the strategy for beating the Byurobolos with this run setup? I'm guessing something the beastmaster can catch? It would have to one-shot them all at once, though, right?

edit: to clarify since god knows what the hell all the versions of this game translated the name as, I'm talking about those six gray bombs you fight at the meteorite.

Stone Golem, though it'll still leave them with a good chunk of health. You can also use Silence to stop Arise and try to kill them manually rather than tank explosions.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Man, I wanted to get The Run done before then, but I've got too much poo poo on my plate right now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sushi Face posted:

Just tell me my first job drat you all!

Ok fine it's Bard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sax Solo posted:

Okay I made a patch of the FFT portraits thing I was working on. (Credits to the ffhacktics community; I did very little drawing myself on these, to be clear.)

It .. seems to work fine.

Awesome work!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yes, and also no duplicate jobs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mikl posted:

Twenty two, with half an hour to go!

Barely made it!

I used Can of Worms's Randomizer for this run (Mild flavor, so I have less options and more excuse to be tactical)! The results...

pre:
White Mage
	Default: !White 6
	Skill 0: 30 !Summon 1
	Skill 1: 65 !Time 2
	Skill 2: 95 Equip Lance
	Skill 3: 170 Equip Rods
	Skill 4: 400 !Spellblade 6

Berserker
	Default: Berserk
	Skill 0: 15 !Black 1
	Skill 1: 75 !Red 2
	Skill 2: 100 !Jump
	Skill 3: 200 Two-Handed
	Skill 4: 400 !White 6

Beastmaster
	Default: !Calm
	Skill 0: 20 !Spellblade 1
	Skill 1: 70 !Aim
	Skill 2: 105 !Black 4
	Skill 3: 160 !Catch
	Skill 4: 410 !Mug

Dragoon
	Default: !Jump
	Skill 0: 10 Find Passages
	Skill 1: 70 !Black 2
	Skill 2: 100 !Time 4
	Skill 3: 180 !Revive
	Skill 4: 370 !Zeninage
It was surprisingly similar to what a real run would look like, except with !Time4 and !Spellblade6 making my life significantly easier. Hell, World 1 was pretty much identical except with Slow/Haste access and Chocobo to take down Garula. Certainly not a bad way to do things, I'd recommend it.

I'll probably go vanilla my first run, maybe randomize again for my second if I do one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: THE RUN STREAM IS UP :siren:

Mikl posted:

Good job! That makes twenty-three, so $230... But you know what? I'll throw in $10 of my own and make it 240, so I can push the donation total past ten thousand dollars and make the streamers fight Shinryu! :getin:

Yesss.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Reminder to join the Discord community!

Out of curiosity, is the iOS port closer to the SNES version or the GBA version with stuff like Omega being calm-able, etc.?

I'm sorta tempted to do an iOS run for my next one since I picked it up on sale a long time ago and never really played it, but whew it's kinda ugly, though they put a lot of work into the enemy sprites.

Prooooobably closer to SNES, but it's also much more restrictive than both in what options you have available, in particular to Omniscient.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

eLmaGus finished! 9:50:50!

Yagamoth is at Necrophobe, puwexil on Island Shrine.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

My Drop and Steal Guide is now complete! It lists every item that is dropped/can be stolen from monsters, depending on where in the game you're currently at.

Let me know in PMs, Discord, or this thread if there's any errors (there's probably quite a few)!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

RED MAGE gently caress MY loving LIFE

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's fun steamrolling Wind Bosses as Red Mage.

Second job is...Dancer. Well, this will certainly be an interesting run! Might get some good strategies and challenges out of this crew.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Red Mage / Dancer / White Mage

Dualcast Holy + Ribbon exploit... r.i.p. NED

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final Job Loadout: Red Mage / Dancer / White Mage / Knight

Should be an interesting run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think it atopped doing that after RK introduced Upgrade.

It certainly doesn't sort for PureChaos, I got Earth job for Water and Wind jobs for Fire and Earth.

• Locked thread