Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Thinking about doing this. I've never played FFV before, but I picked it up on a Steam sale because I've heard of the 4 job fiesta for a few years.
How long does the game take to complete, usually? I'm also juggling a huge backlog and just started Yakuza 0.
If you've got a handle on how things work, a run will be about 20 hours or less by the in-game clock. Add more for unfamiliarity, of course, but also knock some time off for turbo mode/frameskip.

That said, you're using the Steam version, which is based on the iOS/Android version...which was conjured up by incompetent One True Way-ists rather than SE itself. So there will be some otherwise reasonable strategies and ideas that will not work on that version - the biggest one that people cite is that Omniscient's Return counter will work even through Berserk. (Chemists also had a few of their abilities suddenly suffering miss rates.) If you're still comfortable with using it, then by all means use it, but otherwise a lot of people will recommend that you emulate the GBA version instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Tips for new players:

- Samurais suck real bad, use the Job Fair to get rid of them
- Always make sure to visit Phoenix Tower
- Choose the Flame over the Aegis Shield

Have I missed anything important?
...I assume you're joking on all counts?

Edit: Practice run with Bard/Monk/Ninja/White Mage is done. And bards are as busted as always, though I'd not paired one with a ninja before.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 18, 2017

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Speaking of which, I glanced at the much maligned subreddit and they're actually starting to get an itemized list of the actual changes in the game here. I notice they don't mention the godawful pigeon chests as a negative change.
I saw that list as well and mentioned it on IRC. Though I'm guessing that they were only compiling the mechanical changes, as there's a lot of (digital) ink you can already find on how the pigeon chests were a poor choice.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

The mobile changes are designed for the average person who plays the game "master all jobs, run around with OP freelancers" style.

Which is the exact opposite of why the Fiesta works.
And the problem, as we both know, is that that's a really boring way to play. I've done it before on several occasions (years ago as a teenaged ingenu), and grinding poo poo up always took stupid amounts of time after which I could just curbstomp enemies with little challenge. Never again.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The event is for charity though. If you don't like a job you've been given, you replace it at the job fair. Using a mod that makes things easier completely defeats the purpose of that, so I think that's really lovely.
It only affects things in the early game, anyway, by making things less janky. For instance, I've fought Garula with four thieves, and the amount of grinding that went into that is only slightly less fun than grinding to beat up Byblos with those same four thieves. Or if you do have a full party of freelancers, then you have a boring but easy time of steamrolling everything with good gear until you can get access to your jobs. Inversely, some later jobs don't get their intended "starting" gear/abilities before you're supposed to access them, so early access to a dancer/summoner/ninja/ranger/time mage can actually be something of a hindrance. Starting out with access to all relevant jobs smooths the difficulty curve until you can get to the more interesting/devious content. And people will still be happy to use the job fair with the mod, because no amount of early access will fix the issues with (say) Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

The bottom line is that cutting off early access for Chaos/Pure Chaos runs doesn't make things harder - it just makes them more tedious and boring until you've cleared that wall.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I use VBA-M. I know there was some other emulator that a few people suggested, but at the least VBA-M has some nice features like turbo mode/speedup/RAM watch that are situationally useful.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

My preference for an all-in-one site would be FFV - Spirit of Heroes. It still won't have everything - that's for the algorithms FAQ (which you should also look up to have on hand) - but it's got a lot less extraneous fluff to it than the wiki.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

lol this actually works, the Monk can counter no problem! I don't even need anything fancy, you can just Berserk him. He'll cast Return even if he's bers, not as a reaction to being Berserked.

Now to figure out how to survive his hits properly (you can counter even missed hits, right? Then Blink suffices), and I'm good.

...I will loving kill him with Brave Blade counters, that rear end
If you have Knight and Monk, then you can trivially murder anything that only uses physical attacks. Just get Counter on your Knight and have them use !Guard with everyone else in the party at critical health. The net result is that any physical attacks will be -redirected to the Knight via Cover, -blocked with !Guard, and -inverted half the time with Counter. In fact if you don't need to have anyone else in the party (such as in the Fork Tower, naturally) you can just swap this to putting !Guard on a Monk, as you won't need to redirect attacks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I got Frog/Robo/Magus. Pretty nice for covering all the bases, though it's not that specialized a party as some. (It's also the very first one I beat the game with.)

Virulence posted:

Crono, Lucca, Magus.

That's some good poo poo.
The only tricky part is that you don't have healing techs, but thankfully CT is pretty forgiving about giving you healing items at shops and chests.

In more general news, this guide has some discussion on mechanics, in particular on how defensive stats only start mattering near the caps and on which double/triple techs are best for damage (as they nearly all inherit multipliers from their component single techs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

I got Lucca, Ayla, Magus. Meh.
Don't say "meh" about a party with Ayla when she can just steal everything you'd need to care about. Speed Tabs and Megalixirs at the least.

• Locked thread