Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I traditionally play on my phone with My Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Choco1980 posted:

I'm going to recommend you only emulate on your phone if you have external storage capability. Roms and saves will eat up your memory fast. Anyways, MyBoy! is easy enough to find in app stores. I have the free version, which doesn't have the bells and whistles, like savestates or whatever, but that's okay. It's pretty straightforward, and phone emulators usually assume you're going to control the games via touch screen overlay (usually transparent), though I've discovered that even better is to buy a bluetooth gamepad (they aren't expensive) as most emulators are compatible with them. I recommend one that comes with a clip to secure your phone to the pad, as that's easier than trying to juggle the two.

...we are talking about a GBA game here. The ROM and saves are so small they aren't even noticeable on any modern phone. Like, a GBA rom is usually around 10 MB and saves are in the 100s of Kbs range.

Do you have a potato for a phone?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

widespread posted:

And I forgot to mention I'm on iOS. So chances are, I gotta dig a bit deeper?

Oh, you may be screwed then. It looks like Apple doesn't allow emulators on the app store, and does their best to patch out whatever methods the emulator makers find to get them installed.

Sounds like there is one called GBA4ios that may be working in its 2.1 version right now that you can install, just not through the ios store.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

widespread posted:

Found it. For reference, what does revocation mean? Just the app could stop working?

Yeah, basically Apple just stops the app from working.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Countblanc posted:

Obviously owning a copy of the GBA game is impractical for most people right now, but if you use a ROM of it I don't think it'd be inappropriate to donate the cost to charity. Game with honour.

I own 3 copies of FF5 already: Original Super Famicom cart, physical GBA copy, official android version.

I think I've played my dues.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Supremezero posted:

Changes Neo-Exdeath into a giant cactuar, as I recall.

With a Mexican mustache

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Pre-regged for my first pure chaos run, woo hoo.

No risk though. Not that crazy, especially with someone spiking the zerker pool so much!

If it were to start today, every risk player would have 2 guaranteed zerks!

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 1, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Supremezero posted:

This is all fantastic and a decent argument about it sucking, but I don't really see how any of that makes it worse than "Loading screen for opening the menu".

Like, you are comparing "Cool glitches got changed, it sucks" to "Insanely aggravating to play at a basic level"

Problem is that, as he stated, some of those "cool glitches got changed, it sucks" are glitches(or even deliberate things) that are required for some 4jf class combinations to be able to beat the game, and especially to beat the special bosses.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Kyrosiris posted:

Both suck, play FFVA in your preferred Game Boy Advance entertainment system emulator/physical device. :)

But then you won't have Y Burns and horrible pirate speak!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Supremezero posted:

I refuse to believe that there's no patch out there that applies the SNES fan translation to the GBA version.

Pretty sure that Y Burns is the official PSX version, not the fan translation.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Can Of Worms posted:

Hello, Fiesta veterans. Do you find your Fiesta runs lacking? Are you getting tired of seeing awful Geomancers and boring Dragoons in your Fiesta party? Do you wish you could have something more... exciting? Try spicing up your next Fiesta with a new...

:siren: Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer:siren:

Just drag a Final Fantasy V Advance (US only!) ROM onto the randomizer and get two randomized ROMs in return! You can even use patched ROMs, as long as they don't change job skills. That's right, you can randomize Fiesta Patch and Sound Patch if that's what your heart desires! The program will also spit out two text files that summarize the changes in each ROM.

The first ROM you'll get is the Mild edition, which randomizes what the default skill of a job is, and the skill tree (i.e. what skills you get when you level it up.) The second ROM is the Extra Spicy edition, which does the same thing as the Mild edition...

:siren::siren::siren:...except it's different for every character!!!:siren::siren::siren:

That's right, in the Extra Spicy ROM, a Bartz Monk will have a different skill loadout than a Faris Monk. For example:
code:
Bartz Monk
    Default: !Revive
    Skill 0: 15 !Black 1
    Skill 1: 40 !White 3
    Skill 2: 80 Equip Armour
    Skill 3: 200 Dual Wield
    Skill 4: 280 Equip Ribbon
Faris Monk
    Default: !Drink
    Skill 0: 30 !White 2
    Skill 1: 65 !Lance
    Skill 2: 90 !Spellblade 4
    Skill 3: 200 !Flee
    Skill 4: 440 !Mug
Note: This is still under development as there are a few bugs with the Extra Spicy edition, but it should be mostly functional. I am aware that some parts of the menu doesn't correctly reflect AP costs at the moment. If you find any bugs, or there are specific features you want, let me know!

This is awesome and hilarious and my second run will use this.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So what happens if you just get say White lvl 4? Do you only get level 4 white spells, or everything below?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I have a feeling that my first pure chaos run will have both mime and freelancer.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just as a note for current numbers: we are at 726 'zerkers in the tree, and 490 riskers. Which means that unless things change, every risker will have at least 1 guaranteed, and most will have 2 guaranteed.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Can you change your pre-reg by re-tweeting giglabot?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This is my first time, so apologies for the dumb question, but how does the start of the fiesta work? Do they do The Run on the 19th, and as soon as they finish, everyone else starts?

And I saw in the OP that there's a pledge drive to do a run with The Run's jobs between them being announced and the start - when do those get announced? I might try it out just to familiarize myself with stuff, even though I'm pretty sure I won't be able to finish it since I'm guessing they are gonna be stuck with the hardest jobs.

In theory it starts when the run ends. In reality it ends when the guy who runs it wakes up after the run ends.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Zerker risk people can breathe a bit easier. It it still a guaranteed zerk, but there are a lot less guaranteed seconds!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Good man/woman/other.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Post-wind shrine save ready to go! I hope this goes live by Sunday, lots of time stuck in a car.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Lurdiak posted:

So the countdown on the official site is a lie? Why I never.

That if the "no later than" time

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
At this rate it's going to be a while for puwexil to finish. Elmagus is already in the rift and he is still in exdeaths castle...

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

So we're a little less than $500 under guaranteed 2-berserkers? :getin:

A lot of people with risk are doing runs you can't get duplicates on, so anyone who can get dup's is getting at least 2.

Have fun.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
And elmagus finishes with a significant lead on the others. One isn't even in the rift yet.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So the big question is whether the fiesta will start when the run ends as it should.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
And it is over!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Berserker allocation then it starts.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Dancer + Geomancer. This is going to be painful.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
For the first time ever I got a run I"m not sure I can complete. Dancer, Geo, Zerk, Geo

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Finally beat sandworm with 3 Geo's(and a dead zerker), poking for just over 100 damage a hit with pointy knives and no real healing.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Any recommendations for the cannon with a team of zerks and geos? I'm running 3 zerks because the geos can't really damage the cannon, all of their Gaia abilities don't do any damage to it. Level 26 after grinding a bunch, but I don't really know what to do other than grind more. I have a whole 1 hi potion and have used all my elixers.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Shiny777 posted:

What's the best place to grind a bunch of levels in World 3? I've got Black Mage and three Berserkers and have hit a wall on NED because my one controllable character gets destroyed by Almagest and NED loves to either Dispel the one Shell I get from the Wonder Wand or smack him with something else right before it goes off, so I'd like to just grind until I've got enough raw HP to eat the hit and power through.

I usually do the forest in the rift. Good xp there, and there is a healing pot in the village on the previous screen.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So, is there a way to do all this fiesta business without a twitter account? Or do you absolutely need one still?

Still has to be done through Twitter. It takes all of 30 seconds to make one, and it's not like you are obligated to use it outside of the fiesta. Only other time I've ever used mine was to message my ISPs support.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Exercu posted:

Dancers are good! But if you don't have some way to deal with Almagest (Blue mage, mystic knight or white mage) then Ned is kind of a pain (unless you level hard). They're obviously not the strongest Earth job (chemist and samurai are both absurdly good), but they're also not the worst - until you reach Ned and get Almagested. My dancer was still the king of one of my triple crowns a few years ago, because Sword Dance is fantastic.

edit: Almagest does ~1500 damage. The beefiest Dancer, Butt-Dancer, gets that at what, level 40ish?

I am basically going to be spending the next couple days leveling, because no one on my team is going to survive the first Almagest except my one berserker. Dancer/Geo/Geo/Zerk is not a good team to go against Exdeath with.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Finally finished my rear end in a top hat run, Geo Geo dance zerk. Through tons of savescumming I rushed the algamest part down before it went off with dancing, lamp odined the magic part, then just did lots of healing while I tried to balance killing the other 2.

New run, again chaos, bard ranger bard black mage. Which should be more interesting, and going to be all freelancer until after the fire crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

jaclynhyde posted:

My THF/BER/SER/KER team is having a bad time with NED since my thief can't survive Almaghest. Where's the best place to grind levels? Trying to proc Death on Iron Giants is going poorly. I've heard Undersea Trench with the Magic Lamp is best, but I'd have to do Fork Tower and run Rugwizard out of MP. Is there a faster place to go?

Just grind on the rift in the area before the village. Only real threat there is an occasional roulette, and you are seconds away from a healing pot.

• Locked thread