Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Aw yes, I can't wait to #beserkerrisk and maybe try a chaos run this year! Plus getting my wife to play FFV for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

I look forward to my Four Zerk Fiesta!

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
My THF/BER/SER/KER team is having a bad time with NED since my thief can't survive Almaghest. Where's the best place to grind levels? Trying to proc Death on Iron Giants is going poorly. I've heard Undersea Trench with the Magic Lamp is best, but I'd have to do Fork Tower and run Rugwizard out of MP. Is there a faster place to go?

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice--just finished my second FJF run!

#BERSERKERRISK is...something. Really something. I'm so tired of pressing Tab.

And donated for two of us late for Basch!

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

Okay. I'm giving up. Ranger and three Berserkers is just not beating NED. I take back everything I said about Matrix Zerks being better. I'm in the 40s and I've done it twenty times and I have beaten one part once. I can last a little bit longer if I use the lamp right away and ice the back part, but there's just no way at all I'd be able to last a round of the rage timer. So I have to keep it alive. And that means there's just too many things that can one-shot the Ranger. Every Grand Cross is a 2/3 chance of the fight ending right there, every Flare or Holy is death, I am just high level enough to survive Almagest but that means anything else will kill her--like, oh, say poison. She's just not fast enough to keep everybody off the ground, and everybody has to stay off the ground all the time or that's just fewer targets for the back and the front, which is blind but that doesn't seem to affect Vacuum Waves.

This is possible. It's just not possible without taking out some of the one-hit KOs, which means grinding until she has about 2600 HP, which is all the way up to 70. I'm not doing that, not on my phone. I'm going to cheat instead. I'm going to get her Equip Ribbons. I feel like it's still really hard, just slightly less impossible with a Ribbon and Dancer gear.

With a thief and three zerkers, just spamming a fully charged lamp until it stopped doing appreciable damage helped take out various parts. I don't know if it'll work as well with a ranger's speed, but I was in my 40s and it was not happening without the lamp.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

...I'm beginning to wonder why I downloaded the Fiesta mod.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Yet another Can I Beat Omega question: can my Black/Time/Dragoon/Samurai team beat Omega without quickleaking him? I tried using Flame Rings with one Reflect Ring for Firaga healing, but he's just been too fast to keep up. Also I somehow forgot to buy Quick and am in favor of being lazy.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

derra posted:

Yes. Equip 3 reflect rings on your party and Diamond armor of some type is recommended on the 4th. Reflect Thundaga on your party. As long as one person on your team gets hit with Thundaga Omega won't counter the damage. Other 3 people toss Elixirs to heal. Cast Haste and Masamune on Omega to get your Reflected people hasted if healing is not required.

Thank you! Let me tell you, Iainuki makes grinding for Elixirs infinitely easier.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Well, that's the saddest dead Lenna I've ever seen.

The Brave Blade run was remarkably simple with agas, rods, and Iainuki. (I also managed to miss getting the Exdeath screenshot, but I had a save state in front of the tree version...)

I also triple crowned without Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist for ultrafilter's pledge.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm currently on Byblos with Knight (!Revive, Magic Shell, !Flirt, and !Steal) and Beastmaster (!Scan and Sprint) and I hate everything

Edit: Next Beastmaster ability gave me... !White. :negative:

jaclynhyde fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 1, 2017

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Byblos is vulnerable to Paralyze and isn't Heavy. Whips trivialize him.

Oh thank god.

Schwarzwald posted:

There's no guarantee that either of those classes can equip whips.
Hell, there's no guarantee that either of those classes have the !attack command.

The random hack keeps the equippable weapons/armor the same, as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if there's a way to see what level of magic you have without looking at the cheat file?

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a lot of fun with the Randomizer, especially since it's a nice break from my actual run on the Steam version. :v: Except I've gotten Thief in two of my three runs already, and the randomizer has given me Steal, Find Passages, and Sprint out of my ten abilities unlocked so far. And my Earth job was, of course, Thief.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So, after Job Fairing to Ranger, these are the randomizer abilities I've unlocked so far:

Knight: !Revive, Magic Shell, !Flirt, !Steal, HP +30%, !Zenigage
Beastmaster: !Scan, Sprint, !White L3, HP +20%, !Gaia
Dancer: !Catch, Find Passages, !Guard, !Jump
Ranger: !Aim, Find Pits, !Hide, !Time L3 (which includes Teleport)

I've never had a game so desperate to keep me protected and safe.

Edit: Dancer L4: non-innate !Revive.

jaclynhyde fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 8, 2017

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Doom Goon posted:

One more month left!

I don't really have any money (ever), but let's have some fun for the road anyway! I'll :toxx: and give at least $.25 per goon up to $20 for every goon that completes a run from now on to the end using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFVFJF site, although if you want to slip a victory into another run's #Up that's probably okay.

It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that :black101: tree.

Won with no spoilers! And before finishing the real version of the run, too.

My classes:

Knight
Default: !Revive
Skill 0: 15 Shell
Skill 1: 45 !Flirt
Skill 2: 100 !Steal
Skill 3: 200 HP +30%
Skill 4: 380 !Zeninage

Dancer
Default: !Catch
Skill 0: 10 Find Passages
Skill 1: 65 !Guard
Skill 2: 100 !Jump
Skill 3: 170 !Revive
Skill 4: 410 !Rapidfire

Beastmater
Default: !Scan
Skill 0: 10 Sprint
Skill 1: 65 !White 3
Skill 2: 110 HP +20%
Skill 3: 160 !Gaia
Skill 4: 420 !Summon 5

Ranger
Default: !Aim
Skill 0: 30 Find Pits
Skill 1: 75 !Hide
Skill 2: 110 !Time 3
Skill 3: 160 !Dance
Skill 4: 440 !Mix

It took a slightly ridiculous amount of grinding to be effective, but NED went down like a chump.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Doom Goon posted:

Awesome, I'm making a post later tonight! And before a real run, nice job!

But I wanted to ask if you ran into any bugs with the Randomizer? The first time I tried it I patched the wrong version but this time Skill 1 doesn't unlock for any job (oddly enough it counts it in the Abilities Unlocked stat). I'm not going to miss !Kick or !Flirt anyway (!Time 2 kind of stings with Float and Haste though). I haven't gotten anybody to Skill 4 yet but the rest seem fine.

The one bug I've seen is that some abilities just don't show up in the abilities list sometimes. I only noticed it for !Time--I had to just change to another ability and/or enter and leave the screen a few times before it was available to select. Could that be what's happening with your game?

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

So far I've got runs from Ablative, Asimov, Bregor, Bufuman, derra, Einwand, FreeKillB, Funktastic, Mega64, Modoh, Mountaineer, Mustard Iceman, Nethertribes, Novasol, Poque, Rebelle Winter, Samuel Clemens, Serene Dragon, theshim, WilliamAnderson and ZiegeDame. Have I missed anyone who's already done this?

Me!

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Crystals are kicking my rear end with Knight, Dancer, Beastmaster, and Ranger on IOS. All of them are level 28-29, I have four Reflect Rings, no Flame Rings, and Aegis Shield. Beastmaster, Dancer, and Knight are mastered on one character each.

I can take down two crystals easy by whittling everyone down a few thousand before Releasing two Ironbacks, but I don't have the offense to quickly take the others down once they get to their spell-spamming stage. (Although I just realized I gave my Beastmaster Equip Swords and forgot to move her to the front row, so I'll give that another try.) Any good strategies I'm missing? I have Knight and Beastmaster attacking, Ranger Aiming, and Dancer throwing Hi-Potions and Dancing.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
No Death Sickles (none of my classes can equip them, I thought?) and I've never seen Killer Bow proc so I'm starting to think it's a scam. Good call on the Hi-Potions until it procs and a Maelstrom release, though--I'll try those until something sticks!

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Only took three tries for two Maelstroms to hit them all, thanks for the tips!

God I miss savestates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
TIL on the iOS version, released Yellow Dragons can now miss. And will miss at least 90% of the time against Exdeath.

Don't play iOS!

• Locked thread