Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Huh, I was wondering where this year's thread was, didn't think to check if it got moved from the LP board until just now. Well, I found it in the end, so bully!

Dunno how many runs I'm going to get done this year. The past few years I've been too broke to really have much else to play during these times, and as a result got in victory counts of 7, 10, and 7 runs the past three years, but this year I have Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, and at some point I want to pick up Nier: Automata and Dragon Quest Heroes 2. It's going to be interesting to see if runs 25 and onward can manage to hold my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

They've never been in LP. :shobon:

I could've sworn I found one of the earlier threads in LP, mostly because that's honestly the only board I hang out on at SA. Well, no matter as long as I'm here in the end.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KnoxZone posted:

After doing quadzerks last year I am ready for a nice relaxing FJF.

...Unless this year has a new awful unfun challenge that will make me hate myself. I will totally do that.

I also did Quadzerks last year and if we get a similarly awful challenge this year, I'm going to pass. Grinding up to the high 70s was just the WORST. To put into perspective HOW bad, I would've rather have been back on my one Classic run of Monk/Monk/Red/Monk. I only had to grind to level 42 to beat that one!

KataraniSword posted:

Good to know nothing has changed about the two worst Earth jobs by getting them early. :haw:

Though I'm curious how many levels you have to get with a Dancer start so that you're not staring down Karlabos/Siren with double-digit Max HP.

Well, it's hardly fair to compare literally any other job to Chemist. And Zeninage single-handedly makes Samurai useful. Dancer at least has the benefit of a decent all-purpose passive with Equip Ribbons, and !Dance being a CK-friendly attack. Dragoon really only has the latter with !Jump. !Lance has the potential to be downright beastly on a magic-using class since its power is based on Magic (which is incidentally why it sucks on Dragoons themselves since they have one of the lowest Magic stats in the game, dammit Square), but MP recovery items are easy enough to get and they usually have far better commands to waste their secondary slot on.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Detheros posted:

My hopes for Fiesta 2017:

-Actually rolling a loving Mystic Knight, none so far in my 14 runs over the past 2 years.
-Not burning out and finishing all the runs I start this time.

Ditto for these with me, though in my case I need me some Time Mage; 21 runs (out of 24 in total, but two were No750s and one was Classic) where I could've been assigned one or more TIMs and not a one to show for it, except for the two I Job Fair'd for. Let's see if we can break that little streak, Gilgabot! :argh:

That said I'm looking forward to the changes. In particular I want to see the improved victory approvals RK mentioned on kickstarter. I may have to kick in some funds for that, I hate it when I'm jonesin' for a new run and have to wait 20 hours for RK to approve a victory.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I own 3 copies of FF5 already: Original Super Famicom cart, physical GBA copy, official android version.

I think I've played my dues.
Yeah, I still own my physical GBA copy (and also rebought it on iOS) and a method to play it (still own my GameCube with the GBA Player), so really emulating is more of a matter of convenience to me; the allure of VBA's savestates and fast-forward is too much to resist.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Samuel Clemens posted:

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of this quad-Thief party.

And I can't hear him over the sound of how loving BRAVE I am!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I'd like #regpopular more if it wasn't heavily weighted towards classes I already get often. I've been assigned Blue Mage more than any other class (Berserker is the only one that even comes close, and only because of risk and doing the secret mode last year).

Though Time Mage is slotted 5th and I still haven't ever been assigned that one. Maybe I could do a run or two and see if I finally nab it without a Job Fair.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I like to start out simple but also trying out new things, so my first run this year is Normal with #fifthjob and BERSERKERRISK!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

InfernoBlade posted:

And I just kicked some money in the can. All I know is I want berserkers. And I want #BERSERKERRISK to be #GUARANTEEDBERSERKER

:sigh: So all us Riskers are looking at potential Quadzerks again, are we? I'll be over in the corner sobbing if you need me.

Yes, I know I'm running normal so I'll get at most TriZerks, but that's not much better!

Anyway, I've actually got a decent internet connection this year, having finally discovered an ISP that covers my town (aside from CenturyLink and their utter refusal to pack higher than a 7 Mbps connection in my mostly-rural area), so now that I've got a decent 30 Mbps connection, I've been getting into streaming and figure I might as well do so for my FJF runs. Anyone know if I'm able to do that with VBA? Or would I need some other program to stream my poo poo on Twitch?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
poo poo, completely forgot that this thing was going on today (well, yesterday now). I've still been distracted with my shiny new PS4. Don't know how many runs I'll get through this year (probably won't make my usual count of 7+), but we'll see.

First job in my Normalrisk Fifth Job run is Knight. Really hoping I don't get Ranger or Bard for my Fire job because I've done Byblos with only Knights and Zerks before and that was unpleasant.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
poo poo, my fire job IS Bard. On the one hand, Bard is awesome, gently caress yeah Bard. But this means doing Byblos with three Knights and a Zerk, that that's horrible, no-good, and very bad.

:negative:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Welp, Byblos went better than I expected, only a couple of deaths. And about 2 or 3 dozen resets, every time he dropped Protect after only 1-3 hits on him. And my winning attempt did see me dropping 3 Elixirs.

Zerk actually ended up being the biggest help due to Two-Handed Mythril Hammer bashing him for almost 1000 damage (on high rolls anyway) every time he actually managed to hit. Byblos is still a fucker regardless.

I should probably leave out the part where I worked out my frustrations after getting the legit win by abusing savestates to engineer a rematch with the RNG skewed in my favor, where I killed him in 3 turns by landing every attack and him not firing off any counters. May have been petty but it sure was cathartic!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Got my last job! My team is Knight/Berserker/Bard/Dragoon. The last one is my favorite job (aesthetically anyway) and I have almost never been more disappointed to see it this time (the only time that's worse is the run last year where I got two of them in one run, after having gotten one for my first job on the previous run. Oh, and then I got assigned DRG as my first job for the run after that, making it three straight runs where they were the first. You better believe I JF"d the second one on that middle run and the first one on that last run).

This is going to be a horribly slow run. But I am on Fifth Job so that last one will get replaced after a while. Kind of a shame though, with Dragoon and Bard both I could've damage raced Shinryu.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Man, I love having Bard for Drakenvale. In addition to the usual Requiem shenanigans, I remembered that Drippys will cast Return when confused, so every time I get ambushed by one of those rear end in a top hat Drippy/Eagle/Dragon groups, Alluring Air takes care of that bullshit right quick.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Excellent, just beat the Crystals. Now to Fifth Job and get rid of Dragoon! Hopefully I get a decent job like Samurai or Chemist instead of

Getting real tired of your poo poo Gilgabot!

The thing that really pisses me off is that I was going to take the full-power Brave Blade for :toxx:, but if I do that I don't know if I'll have the offense needed to take down Shinryu; Apollo Harp is beastly against him, but without Chicken Dance support it probably won't get the job done quickly enough.

gently caress it, I might just get crazy and go for it anyway. Perhaps Runezerker with Equip Harps and BBKnight can lend enough offense while the Dancer sings or something.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 19, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Samuel Clemens posted:

If nothing else works, there's always the Reflect + Zombie strategy. A bit tedious, but guaranteed.

I forgot about that one because I've honestly never had to use it; Bard usually has enough support to take Shin out with Apollo's Harp damage. In this case though, I might have to consider it.

Might be a bit cheesy, but assuming I can take out Omega with Romeolock + Rune Axe hits, it would allow for me to Triple Crown my first run of the year, a feat I've failed to accomplish at all in the three previous years I did this thing (though in my defense, I do BR every year too).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Welp, couldn't take Shinryu in a straight damage race. He just hits too hard too fast, especially since half the team needs Coral Rings (or have !Hide as their secondary command, but obviously that's not an option for Berserker, and my Knight likes dealing 4000 damage a turn too much to give up Two-Handed).

So now I'm settling in while Zombiezerker Lenna knocks back Atomic Rays with her Reflect Ring for 200 damage a piece. :sigh:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
And Shinryu is finally down, having taken about 5 in-game hours to bring down (which took maybe 45 minutes on VBA's auto-fastforward function; all I know is that my save file just before entering the rift was at 14:31, and I'm now at 20:11 after wrapping up Shin and all the stuff between him and the entrance to the final section).

I hope to NEVER need Reflect Zombie and the Hidey-Bards again.

Anyway all that's left is to take on NED (well, him and Necrophobe). For the final fight I should probably blind my Zerk so my Bard can set up buffs. What's the quickest way to blind a teammate without a Chemist on hand?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
First of all, VICTORY BITCHES:

First time I've triple crowned my first run of the year (in four years of playing). Zerk wasn't enough of a handicap to keep a good Bard down!

Second...

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

Sorry, it takes a while to get here...

...when you take the time to SLAUGHTER EVERY loving SLOBBERING BEAST THAT STANDS IN YOUR WAY!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to clean the blood off this BB while I wait for my run to be processed.

EDIT:

Huh, this is interesting. Do you think this means those victory submissions are linked to that run? Anyone know if we can start new runs without waiting for the old ones to be processed?

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 19, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Neat! Now I need to decide what to do. I'm thinking Chaos, which was by far my most favorite mode last year. Only question is what additions to make?

EDIT: Actually I think I'll give Popular a try. I was a bit reluctant since I get Blue Mage often enough as it is, but A: Blue Mage is still awesome, and B: YOLO

EDIT2: Red Mage for my first Popular class. ...I get the feeling I've made a horrible mistake.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 19, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Then why are they in the 750 set?

It's mostly a divide between magical and physical classes. Magic and magic-like classes are 750 classes, physical classes are no750s. Geomancer is heavily magical and thus are 750 classes.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Bad Seafood posted:

Accidently challenged Gilgamesh with a lone Berserker only to find out Gil's weak to instant death.

You learn something new every day.

Yeah, Gilgamesh 1 is vulnerable to a surprising amount of things (almost certainly because the devs didn't want you to be screwed if Galuf had all your weak link classes). My personal favorite is still Mini.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So Popular run so far has me with Red Mage/Samurai/Knight/???. Will I be destined for the Bravest Blade yet again?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Huh, so the Balance mod (and thus the combined Fiesta+Balance mod that I decided to try out) changes the Brave Blade entirely so that it's based on kills rather than escapes now? Well shoot, how am I supposed to prove that I'm the bravest now? I could start over but I'm already most of the way through world 1.

Oh well, SA is a buncha crazy bastards, so that $150 limit will probably be reached regardless without me adding another one on there. Onward!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
WELP!

I think I can say goodbye to triple crowning this run. Weren't all of these classes ranked pretty low on the popularity poll? So much for popular.

EDIT: Actually, screw that, let's Fair that Zerker out. Having Knight two straight runs I can deal with (especially since I didn't get any at all last year) but Zerk is where I draw the line. I do Risk every year and even Quadzerks last year. I have done more than my fair share of Zerk Time!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 20, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Excellent, reroll went through and my Berserker has become a Chemist. That's more like it!

Mind you it's going to be a tedious triple crown; !Mix may be broken but it's still a pretty tedious Omega fight with all the buffs you have to keep up.

...Unless I do the thing to bypass Omega's berserk immunity and let the Knight !Guard everyone. And there's conveniently a Mix that drops the target to single-digit HP. This could work! Assuming the Balance mod doesn't fix that little trick, anyway.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Pulled it off by the skin of my teeth! (I have no idea why the screen caps are so tiny)

VBA's screencaps are tiny by default and I don't know if there's any way to change that. I just run mine through the batch image resizer in Irfanview.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I really need to get back into this, but I'm distracted by other games! (Mostly getting around to beating Rogue Galaxy on PS4, since I never did beat the original PS2 release before my PS2 died)

I wonder how much room is left on the A Butt limit? I'm still at the end of world 1.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

FairGame posted:

Probably asked like 30x in this thread, but:

I missed the map in Ship Graveyard. Where else can I get it?

Pops up on the Fire Ship and in... Surgate Castle, I think? Pops up right on the second floor of the ship, so it's hard to miss.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Jesus, it's been, what, a week since I've made ANY progress on my 2nd run? Maybe two? I need to get back on this poo poo.

On the downside, I'm just getting to Regole in world 2 and only now realized that I forgot to grab the Toad spell. Figures it would slip my mind on the rare run where it could actually be useful (I've got Red Mage as one of my classes). I have a savestate back just before hopping into the meteorite-powered portal, but I can't decide if it would be worth redoing a few hours' worth of progress.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

The only bosses where I feel like it's relevant are Apanda, Halicarnassus, and maybe Twintania. Most things in W2 are immune to it, afaik. More importantly, if you missed it in Istory, Phantom Village's non-secret magic shop has it, Mini, Float, Teleport, Speed, and the Lv1 summons. In other words, the stuff you're actually at risk of missing.

Yeah, I knew it was buyable later in the game, but I didn't know if anything nasty in W2/early-W3 was vulnerable to it, and you answered that question, so thanks!

Also, quick question to Can of Worms about his FFV Balance Mod: Would it be possible to simply add the 4th level Black/White spells to !Red instead of just giving them Black4 and White4? As it is they have to lose their extra ability slot to gain access to 3 more spells, which is still an improvement, but I fear would still leave them behind other classes in the endgame. Allowing !Red to go up to level 4 would give Reds more options while still letting them keep their extra ability slot for something like Dualcast. Mind you, I don't know if !Red can be changed in such a way (I know next to nothing about what can be done with mods, but I figure this change is at least possible), but I figured I'd make the suggestion anyway.

I hope CoW hasn't been asked that kind of thing several times in the last dozen or so pages that I've skipped over after not keeping up with this thread for a couple weeks, thus pissing him off when I asked it again. :sweatdrop:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Man with Hat posted:

Berserk doesn't make it faster either. Chemist has a !mix that causes haste blink and berserk and bypasses all resitances, but since Shinryu isn't immune to berserk you don't use that, so Shinryu only gets stronger.

If you use that mix to Berserk, say, omega though, then you're in for a treat.

On the plus side, Omega's physicals hit for a far more reasonable ~2000 compared to Shinryu's 8000+ damage bullshit. Apply Protect and sit in the back row, and Omega's down to 500 damage per hit, which is pretty manageable since you can also Mix Goliath's Tonics. Admittedly base 76 speed PLUS Haste means he's getting 2 or 3 attacks for every one each of your characters get, but I'll take that over his normal, BRUTAL repertoire.

EDIT: No, wait, he hits for around 4000 to start with and gets dropped to 900-1000 from back row + Protect. Still perfectly manageable, just not completely neutered. In my defense, it HAS been a year since the only time I used the Berserk Immunity Override to beat him.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 7, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Finally getting around to making some progress in my second run (I guess having like 9 months between events isn't enough to keep me from being burned out on my 4th consecutive year of this crap). Getting to the pyramid in world 3, but first I have a decision to make: Brave Blade or Chicken Knife? Running a team of Red Mage/Samurai/Knight/Chemist on the Fiesta+Balance Mod (so BB is based on kills rather than flees). My Knight can easily run Excalibur and Ragnarok so they don't need the BB, but since I have Chemist anyone who could run !Mineuchi to circumvent the Flee proc would probably be better off with !Mix instead. Hmm, decisions.

I'll probably just take the CK for the 5 point Agility boost.

EDIT: Eh, gently caress it, taking the BB so Knight actually has a decent weapon to hit Shin with is probably the most use I'll get out of either weapon this run, so let's just go with that.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 10, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Run #2: Popular Run: Red Mage / Samurai / Knight / Chemist

Well hey, I finally got off my rear end and knocked this one out! Hope to get a few more before the end of the season.

Pretty fun team, though a little tedious at times since Zeninage was my only real multi-target option, and you can't go throwing away money for a lot of the game! Otherwise Chemist actually didn't get to do much this time, three Two-Handed attackers locked down basically everything. !Mix was obviously vital for Omega and Shinryu though.

Anyway, as you might've noticed I was going with Lurdiak's "a butt" pledge, but missed the deadline since he hit his cap due to my lousy procrastination. So since that was basically my fault, the only option was to pay the buttpiper myself (and a little extra for good measure)

Still, definitely don't regret the name, it made for some good moments.

Anyway now to decide what run to do next? Haven't done Pure Chaos yet this year, but I could also give Popular and/or Fifth Job another shot.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Went with Chaos for my third run. So far my first two jobs are Ninja and Ranger.

Already this run looks to be a DELIGHT.

EDIT: Possibly spoke too soon, fire job is Geomancer. Save me, earth job!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 11, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

At least putting !Throw on the Geomancer makes them good, because they have a bonkers-high magic score.

No way to pass it to the Ninja, sadly.

Actually the Balance mod lets !Gaia pass along their magic stat. :v:

And bumps their Magic stat up to 68, higher than even Summoners. :v:

I knew I was playing this mod for a reason. :v::v::v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I did #RegPopular and got Thief/ Ninja/ Ranger/ Dancer. that team is buns and I want to change either Thief or Dancer but I can't decide what to

I'd change Dancer. Thief isn't the BEST but they can steal good stuff early on, plus they've got Sprint, Vigilance, !Flee, long-range weapons, and !Mug as a CK-friendly attack (granted, !Dance also prevents random Flees, but it's a lot less reliable, freaking Tango).

As for what class to roll with, I'd say go with something more durable like Knight or Samurai, since you've got a pretty fragile team as is. Failing that, I actually prefer to just Reroll if I get an undesirable class, to keep with the random element.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Bufuman posted:

Went with Chaos for my third run. So far my first two jobs are Ninja and Ranger.

Already this run looks to be a DELIGHT.

EDIT: Possibly spoke too soon, fire job is Geomancer. Save me, earth job!

Earth job is Mystic Knight.

Earth job LISTENED.

AH HA HA HA HA HA.

Well, that clears my worries about whether or not I'll be able to take down Omega (granted, I would've likely been able to do it whatever my 4th job was, but it would've taken a lot more turns and patience and luck). Though now Shinryu might be a concern, what with no method of berserking him (though I can at least Dark Bow blind him). I suppose I'll just have to damage race him, but that's ALSO going to be tricky with no Dragon Lances or Apollo's Harp, plus I'll need Coral Rings so no Haste either.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Finally getting to the end of my Ninja/Ranger/Geo/Mystic run. First I'm farming up Dragon Lances to !Throw at Shinryu, then I'm going for Omega. I wonder if I'm better off giving someone a Wall Ring and praying that his first Search goes for that character or just blitzing him with Rapid Fires right off?

EDIT: Dragon Lance plan is proving to be not worth it. I grabbed one after a lot of fights, went to test it out, and it barely did more than a Fuma Shuriken (roughly 3100 to 2700). Guess !Throw doesn't include type multipliers. Drat. Anyway he's doing a good job of beating the tar out of my team (largely due to lack of Hermes Sandals and reliable MT healing, and it doesn't help that 3/4 of my team is level 32 so they're getting screwed by L2 Old every time he goes with that) so I may need to farm out some levels just to have a chance.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Exercu posted:

For omega, what I would do is have your mystic knight with rapid fire blitz him while everyone else keeps the mystic alive. You should not need more than 3 rapidfires. everyone else should not rapid fire, because you don't want that many counters

Decided to go with this first, given that it's worked well enough for me in the past.

Got a little dicey this time though! But I got him, and that's all I need. Now, let's see if a few more levels can help me against Shinryu.

EDIT: Another hard-earned win!

This one took some serious luck. After blinding him with Rapid-Fire Dark Bow action and setting up Flare Sword on MK, I basically had to pray that most of his Roulettes hit himself, Evil Eye ideally targeted my MK and her Aegis Shield, Mighty Guard didn't show up early, and Snowstorm didn't show up at all. Took a few tries until all the stars aligned.

On the plus side, I'm actually looking forward to chumping NED now.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 4, 2017

• Locked thread