Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The 2017 Fiesta is over. See you in 2018!

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2017 thread! In its fifth year running, this thread will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and trips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want. Much like the years before, we hope to bring lots of victories, lots of donations, and lots of berserkers from the Berserker Tree!

Quick Links: Goon IRC, Goon Discord, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Trasson ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge. 2015 upped the stakes and added the much-beloved Chaos Mode, which was what we all wanted from Random all along - any job is possible from any crystal, and duplicates are possible, leading to a handful of Chaos Riskers ending up with :black101: FOUR. :black101: FREAKING. :black101: BERSERKERS. :black101: (RIP Everhate, The Chosen One) 2016 graced us with Pure Chaos, which is Chaos without repeats and with Mime and Freelancer in the character pool.

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos). It goes a long way to help snap the decision paralysis that plagues a lot of first-time players of FFV, though.

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the littany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and IRC, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

Note that for Natural and Chaos runs, you use Freelancers until you have obtained your assigned jobs. A Ranger/Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist Chaos run would use Freelancers until you get the Black Chocobo, and a White Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Chemist Natural run has Faris as a Freelancer until the same.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here. (link this to letsplaying's commands page when the site's back up)

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it. Many goons do this every year.

:siren: NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROTECTED ACCOUNT, YOU WILL HAVE EXTREME DIFFICULTY FIESTA-ING OFFICIALLY. Consider making a throwaway or PM me your twitter handle on SA and I'll give it to RK so he can have Gilgabot request to follow you. :siren:

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Trasson got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Sulla's Solo Single Class Challenges, the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA), The Spirit of FFV (has built-in "translation" of names/spells between versions) and IRC! We'll all be prattling away at #FFVFiesta on SynIRC.

Also, forums poster Reiterpallasch made Enkibot! A riff on Gilgabot, you plug your jobs in to the app and it spits out advice based on your jobs. Collaboratively contributed to by those of us in IRC. (join IRC Discord)

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath! (especially since your victory won't count, heh)

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regpurechaos #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2017?

2017 has two new commands! This is awesome!

#regpopular - this is kinda like #regchaos, but a weighted random based on the job polls that RK did over the months before the Fiesta. I am pretty sure Blue Mage was the overall winner? So this is good unless you're a Dragondipshit.

#fifthjob - This sounds like a modifier a la Natural and similar, but what it does is adds a fifth job when Galuf eats it and Krile joins - you'll tweet #krile like you would #water/#fire/#earth and replace Galuf's old Earth job with Krile's hot new Fifth job.

Additionally, everything is still being run through :sigh: the official 4JF Subreddit.

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

(Thread)2014 Infographic:

(Thread)2015 Infographic:

(Thread)2016 Infographic:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

High Quality Goon-Made Fiesta Fanart!

2014 Fanart

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Can of Worms is rad as hell and has made multiple FFV Advance patches, including the source of the above gif.
Fiesta State Mod (Kyro's mirror) (no mechanical changes)
FFVA Balance Mod (Kyro's mirror) (actual mechanical changes) (changelog, mirror)

2015 Fanart

Mega64 takes on the trials and tribulations of the Omnizerker.

(What's Flarnith's art doing here?!)

(neongrey needs to be sure you heard him correctly.)

2016 Fanart

(Asterism has to face some tough choices.)

(Koobes decided to correct Mid a bit.)

(Let's just call this a work by Edward_Tohr and move on with life)

2017 Fanart

(Mikl is having some problems with the weather.)

(Ablative assures me that, just like Ronka, it can only go up uP UP!!)

(Orange Fluffy Sheep demonstrates the value of Butzcoin. BUY IN NOW)

(Ablative reminds us of that which we must sacrifice, because the numbers are infallible.)

(Bad Seafood has opinions on robots.)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 1, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Active Goon Pledge Drives:

Koobes posted:

Because I am a goofball who absolutely loves FF12, here's a Bartz naming :toxx: drive for some donations.

Don't listen to Ondores lies! Bartz Basch Lives!

Every completed fiesta with Basch will have me give up $5 to charity.(up to a max of $200)
COMPLETE!

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, screw it. :toxx: Everyone who clears the game with the name "a butt" will trigger a 2 dollar donation from me, up to a maximum of 70 bucks(it'd be more but the exchange rate is murder).

I also just donated :10bux: to add some zerkers to the pool. :getin:
COMPLETE!

ultrafilter posted:

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs. No upper limit, but that's every goon, not every run. COMPLETE!

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.
COMPLETE!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Hello Friends!

It's the last week of the Fiesta by my count and I once again have not bothered to even start my run.

Mainly because I drew White Mage as my Water Crystal job. Siiigh.

However, I can't finish a year without a run so I will need to finish up quickly.

In fact you might say I:

For every character between now and the end of the Fiesta named Sonic that completes the Fiesta I will donate a princely sum of 2 British Pounds to charity to an upper limit of £50.

(Other stuff will go here as needed.)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 1, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Keru posted:

Literally just wondered if the Four Job Fiesta thread had been made yet, and here you are!

Yeah, I tend to make it roughly two weeks before preregistration starts, so people can start filtering into IRC, etc. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That's correct. Preregistration and facing yourself to zerkshed is on June 1, so two weeks from tomorrow.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rixaxun posted:

There's been a history function added to the website here, so you can see your fiestas from previous years. It's a nice to see that Gilgabot has always been fair and balanced. Looking forward to this year's deluge of Red Mages.

Oh poo poo, that's awesome. How'd I miss this?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I've thought about it, but the biggest issue is I know basically gently caress-all about Discord bots, and I'd hate to lose Carbybot's functionality.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

John Lee posted:

The OP just links to the dropbox. What does the mod actually do?

It turns Neo Exdeath into a Cactuar and unlocks all jobs immediately, so you can avoid poo poo like quad thieves on Byblos because you got post-Library Fire/Earth jobs for Water/Fire.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Whoosh.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

My problem isn't that people cheat, it's that cheating is being encouraged ITT.

I mean you're welcome to make your own, no-"cheating" thread if this bothers you so much.

Dragonatrix posted:

Except cheating is not encouraged within this thread. If you draw, say, White Mage for your Wind crystal then how does the patch help you there? The patch, if anything, makes the game harder, not easier.

Four Bards on Garula. :shepicide:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

I intended to hop into the IRC to say this without making GBS threads up the thread but it's the end of my day and I didn't get around to it - the Discord API is pretty easy to use, has libraries in whichever language you'd want. Porting Carby shouldn't be too difficult a task, and I'd even offer to help in any way I can (though you probably don't want me touching actual code :v:).

Yeah, I'd be willing to take any help or resources you can provide - I'd admittedly love to move to Discord, but yeah.

(Also for what it's worth, Carbybot is built on some lovely no-code-needed Windows chat bot system, because my coding chops basically vanished in the early 00s.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'm not sure how the base discord client "sucks", you can basically make it look like text-only chat. :shrug:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Archenteron posted:

I forget the details (can we get a link to last year's thread in the op Kyrosiris?) but I had a Good Geomancer Run last year and was very confused

Yeah, I'll throw the 2014/15/16 threads next to their infographics. :)

E: Done!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

They've never been in LP. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ah right, the Omnizerker thread. That was fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sulla's site and the algorithms guide are in the OP. :negative:

E: Oh, I still have the old URL for Sulla's stuff, I should fix that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Admittedly no, it is not. :v: I figure .badfaq was a good enough place for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So with the incredible help of AlphaKretin, we now have a functional Discord Carbybot! Which means I can go ahead and open up the FFVGoons Discord to people. I'm still gonna maintain the IRC too because I know there's people that prefer it, but now there's a discord as well. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I don't think anything would stop you. I'm pretty sure it would only be four dollars, to boot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I could've sworn last year he did open it up; the only restriction was that Mime/Freelancer were still Earth-only.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Also it's looking like actually tweeting at Gilgabot, etc. won't be a necessary thing this year:

https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/863359878659588096

Pretty exciting!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that gonna be finished in time for this year? That rules.

Man I hope so. OAuth logins are already working for looking at your past history, so I imagine it's just the other rigging.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, FFV Spirit is my go-to (and in the OP :v:), that and the algorithms guide.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

by the way, i posted a $5-per unlimited bounty for getting knight and not taking the brave blade last fiesta and to the best of my knowledge nobody ever took me up on it. offer's still open.

I actually never got a Knight in 2016, believe it or not, or I would have. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

StrangeAeon posted:

Not only did I get the Brave Blade, but since it was my first ever run, I went and got all 4 tablets.

:wtc:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Huzzah! posted:

the previous runs are up on RPG Limit Break's youtube page. 2015's here and here (part2) and 2016's here

And 2014's is here, at least DD's part of it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Blue Mage and Beastmaster work well together, but not so much when you have Berserker too.

Just put the Berserker down, it's a Time Honored Tradition.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

They even have dog costumes! It works! :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OP updated with New poo poo. Preregistration starts in 90 minutes! :woop:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

So, like, is the Fifth Job command only usable in a Natural run? That's how it reads based on the info in the OP at least.

Based on the wording I'm pretty sure it's just a modifier and you call #Krile when she shows up and it erases your old Earth job.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I think RK just forgot to push the button to shift the site into full functionality. Enough people have pestered him about it on twitter that I'm not going to also lump in; he's probably asleep.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

PREREG IS UP NOW, GET IN THERE

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/870026362563817473

:getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

XavierGenisi posted:

What's the difference between Chaos and Pure Chaos?

No duplicates (e: aside from berserker risk), and chance of Freelancer/Mime.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

Voted Thief/Zerk/Geo/Dragoon. Let's go. :getin:

While suffering is an admirable goal, do you really want the fiesta starting contingent on mage masher reflecting?

Go Thief/Time (or Red)/Beastmaster/Dancer. Make them suffer on NED instead.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I just want a Beastmaster Redemption Tour. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Noper Q posted:

I want to make sure I understand this before I register: #chaos can give duplicates but not freelancer or mime, while #purechaos is the opposite?

That is correct.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

How about a non-mage at wind crystal and a Time Mage at the water crystal so they might actually have to use !Gaia for offense sometimes but can still use the Geomancer as a secondary mage. My suggestion is Knight/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Let's see some Swords Dances with actual swords. My only problem with this party is it might make it too hard for them beat Omega without quickleaking.

Don't think Omega and Shin are required this year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

My only concern about a loadout without a magic class is Fork Tower and that taking f o r e v e r.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Can you even get more than one Berserker if you're not playing Chaos? I honestly can't remember.

Random, Chaos, and presumably Pure Chaos can all receive multiple berserkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Aerdan posted:

Pure Chaos can only do so with RISK.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. :v:

• Locked thread