Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Does Wonder Woman have post credit ending scenes?

I just googled it and apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Jimbot posted:

There's no clever way of defeating a demi-god that's better than you are in every single way. So he decided to sacrifice something about himself instead of sacrificing those people to stay pure and innocent. The whole movie is about Clark figuring out how to lead his life, either by one father's ideology or another. He was boxed in the entire movie. By Batman v Superman, he decided to live his life his own way, by just being another guy doing what he thinks is right. Not someone who blends in nor someone to act as a guiding line for humanity (though his selfless example did elevate him into an ideal to strive towards at the end).

He's just an overall decent person trying to do some good while making mistakes along the way. Classical heroism. The heroic myth about him is what is built up during and after his exploits.

That's the flaw. Zod was a better soldier than Clark could ever be. But because Zod was programed from birth for that role and only that role, he's better than Clark in one way. Clark has other potential strengths to draw on so that as a complete whole he's stronger, more capable than Zod.

It would help if he is put in a similar situation again and goes "No, I've learned from my mistakes. Here's a solution" and it needs to be something that neither the audience or the villain expected.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Darth Brooks posted:

That's the flaw. Zod was a better soldier than Clark could ever be. But because Zod was programed from birth for that role and only that role, he's better than Clark in one way. Clark has other potential strengths to draw on so that as a complete whole he's stronger, more capable than Zod.

It would help if he is put in a similar situation again and goes "No, I've learned from my mistakes. Here's a solution" and it needs to be something that neither the audience or the villain expected.

That is the whole point of the movie though?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is the whole point of the movie though?

Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Brooks posted:

lol :rolleyes:

"with the power of love, Clark was able to defeat and capture Zod in their next battle."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 29, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darth Brooks posted:

It'll probably be his fight with Darkseid in the climactic scene of Justice League 2.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It'll probably be his fight with Darkseid in the climactic scene of Justice League 2.

It'll be like the ending of Star Wars where Vader throws the Emperor down that well, except it'll be Superman kicking Darkseid off of his sofa.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Darth Brooks posted:

The first time I saw MoS I thought that Kryptonian ships simulating their atmosphere and keeping Zod & Co. unwittingly depowered was going to come back as a sort-of Phantom Zone at the end, with Superman cramming Zod into a Kryptonian pod and planting it on the moon or something. Let Michael Shannon wither as a holographic Russell Crowe won't ever leave him alone.

In WW news, only three more days! I am always appreciative of blockbuster premieres that let me see them on a Thursday at 7:00pm. :woop:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
wait they made Ludendorff into a supervillain for this? lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

'Wonder Woman' set to conquer the box office — and may break the superhero movie mold

Just days before its debut, "Wonder Woman" is gathering momentum, suggesting it could exceed expectations at the box office — and finally put to rest what analysts say is a tired notion: That audiences are reluctant to see female superheroes on the big screen.

"Wonder Woman" is the most anticipated film of the summer, beating out titles such as "Spider-Man: Homecoming" and the latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" installment, an annual survey from ticket-seller Fandango showed this week. Meanwhile, "Wonder Woman" is also one of the most talked-about movies on social media.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/26/wonder-woman-set-to-break-the-superhero-movie-mold.html

One of their data points is that WW has generated a huge number of 'new conversations' on social media. Nearly as many as Baywatch! ...... um ......

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They have statistics for negative tweets? How is this a reference for anything?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

Because Twitter is important, can't you see I have this little blue check next to my name? I matter on this website, so clearly it's Important.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only good thing that came from Twitter involving superhero movies is Zod's Snapped Neck, otherwise it's just a bunch of garbage and bad hot takes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah the entire box office projections industry sounds like someone invented a job title and is trying extra super hard to justify their pay cheque. "Look at all the statistics we've collected!!" But then again the pointless job justification industry has been a massive part of Hollywood for many many decades.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yeah the entire box office projections industry sounds like someone invented a job title and is trying extra super hard to justify their pay cheque. "Look at all the statistics we've collected!!" But then again the pointless job justification industry has been a massive part of Hollywood for many many decades.

...and the Oscar goes to...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Social media traffic calculation engineer, sounds pretty impressive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/26/wonder-woman-set-to-break-the-superhero-movie-mold.html

One of their data points is that WW has generated a huge number of 'new conversations' on social media. Nearly as many as Baywatch! ...... um ......

There was actually an article on Deadline or Variety about movies like Covenant bombing at the box office, and they had direct quotes from multiple people at multiple studios saying they now blame Rotten Tomatoes for this year's box office downturn.

Ninja: It was Deadline, here it is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Reminder that the review embargo lifts tonight. I'll read maybe one or two.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sure, finally giving the first female superhero her own solo film is some kind of big deal or something or whatever...but y'know, I think the greatest thing this movie can and will do for the world is to be so much more accepted and well-received than MoS that far fewer movies will be like MoS from now on. Not just from the DCEU, but across all studios and genres. :allears: It ain't a sure thing yet but I live in hope.

Drifter posted:

"with the power of love, Clark was able to defeat and capture Zod in their next battle."
lol I'd personally love to be clued in as to why specifically we're supposed to think this would be bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BrianWilly posted:

Sure, finally giving the first female superhero her own solo film is some kind of big deal or something or whatever.

Please don't ignore Halle Berry.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

BrianWilly posted:

lol I'd personally love to be clued in as to why specifically we're supposed to think this would be bad.

zod's battle theme is literally called Either You Die Or I Do, named after the thing he outright says to clark during their fight

his last words are him saying "never" when asked, desperately, to not kill a group of innocent bystanders

(also doomsday is defeated by the power of love, it just turns out 'the power of love' means being willing to sacrifice your life for something you love, not magically making people not evil)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

but y'know, I think the greatest thing this movie can and will do for the world is to be so much more accepted and well-received than MoS that far fewer movies will be like MoS from now on. Not just from the DCEU, but across all studios and genres. :allears: It ain't a sure thing yet but I live in hope.

So you're hoping for less great movies?

Tenzarin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl_(film)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tenzarin posted:

BrianWilly is saying that WW is the first female superhero

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

BrianWilly is saying that WW is the first female superhero

How could you forget FANTOMAH

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm hoping, too, that this will open the floodgate for more female superhero helmed films. Not sure about some of the other stuff, though, from previous discussions but I'll see how it is once the film comes out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

How could I forget? I never knew!

Okay, I stand corrected then; WW is actually wholly unimportant on any sociological level aside how obsolete it renders MoS. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SleepCousinDeath posted:

It's literally impossible for me to forget Fantomah, even if I get amnesia

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just kidding that's not my tattoo :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Movie was unable to reach the success that Halle Berry had with Catwoman.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

BrianWilly posted:

How could I forget? I never knew!

Okay, I stand corrected then; WW is actually wholly unimportant on any sociological level aside how obsolete it renders MoS. :v:

How is it rendered "obsolete"? Because it will be a part of Justice League when that makes like a billion dollars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drifter posted:

I still hate that the outtake of where Tom Hardy and Christian Bale almost passed out from the heat during the Dark Knight Rises climax where their final brawl+the battle between cops and Bane's dudes happens and they just like fell into each other's arms crying and saying how tired were over and over again wasn't used in the final movie. Like just have that and roll credits.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hellbunny posted:

How is it rendered "obsolete"? Because it will be a part of Justice League when that makes like a billion dollars.
The outer appearance of MoS will be there, perhaps. But its spirit...its heart...can be destroyed once and for all. :unsmigghh:

It's all gonna depend on the reviews coming in a couple hours. Justice League is mostly done and gonna come out no matter what, but if WW gets anything less than 65-70% overall RT ratings, anticipation for that film and any other followups are just gonna get lower and more niche. DC is gonna get stuck with its redheaded step-child reputation for even more years despite multiple attempts to course correct at this point.

But if WW gets the RT hivemind approval and does it by being anything of a diametric opposite to MoS, it is absolutely going to set the tonal and narrative standard for these films going forward. Even if Justice League turns out to be completely different than WW, people are gonna say "Man, that should've been more like WW." I'm not even really talking about financial impact; sales absolutely matter, but communistic impression matters more. Just ask Star Wars. Heck, just ask BvS or Suicide Squad.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Man of Steel has a big heart, I'm not sure why you'd want to destroy it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did Man of Steel ruin your life or something? For something that brings out such worthless vitriol you sure type a whole lot about it without saying much. Just take a deep breath and remember, it's just a movie.

Deep breaths now.

"It's just a movie." ~ Zack Snyder, Director of Man of Steel

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 30, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wonder Woman will be written off as another generic comic book film and compared to the Avengers in how it treats nonsuper human suffering as side-dressing (in what at the time was seen as the end of the world as we know it) to tell an ultimately unimportant and rather silly story with a largely a-historical context. (Spoiler: World War 1 actually happened because Ares tricked everyone! The bad CG and utterly unimaginative climax ending with a totally unearned villain will render the film largely a failure, and the overinvestment into multimillion dollar manufactured corporate blockbuster centered around a children's cartoon character as some sort of point for feminist struggle will lie alongside the Ghostbusters reboot as yet another failed attempt to capitalize on the social movements of the now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Man of Steel has a big heart, I'm not sure why you'd want to destroy it.
From the ashes a new Superman will be reborn, made even stronger from the failures of his predecessor.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea I also hope super hero movies become super predictable and one note and never again try to do anything interesting for some unfathomably dumb reason

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Wonder Woman will be written off as another generic comic book film and compared to the Avengers in how it treats nonsuper human suffering as side-dressing (in what at the time was seen as the end of the world as we know it) to tell an ultimately unimportant and rather silly story with a largely a-historical context. (Spoiler: World War 1 actually happened because Ares tricked everyone! The bad CG and utterly unimaginative climax ending with a totally unearned villain will render the film largely a failure, and the overinvestment into multimillion dollar manufactured corporate blockbuster centered around a children's cartoon character as some sort of point for feminist struggle will lie alongside the Ghostbusters reboot as yet another failed attempt to capitalize on the social movements of the now.

You are a cynical little shithead

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Marvel makes hundred million dollar super hero blockbusters like this

DC makes hundred million dollar super hero blockbusters like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wonder Woman's take on WWI