Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

im the leftist who cheers for assad and north korea

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

a tankie, a troop, and a dsa member walk into a bar. chelsea manning is there tweeting smilies

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

ScrubLeague posted:

Manning and Snowden are heroes who broke laws to expose institutional misbehavior. They should face trial by a jury of their peers and let citizens decide if the good they did outweighs the laws they broke.

Assange is just a worthless televangelist.

I feel like it's smarter to just camp out in some other country and avoid the potential of imprisonment, isolation, torture or possibly death.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

consumed by normies posted:

a tankie, a troop, and a dsa member walk into a bar. chelsea manning is there tweeting smilies

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I feel like it's smarter to just camp out in some other country and avoid the potential of imprisonment, isolation, torture or possibly death.

Oh absolutely, you're loving insane if you believe either of them could get a fair trial in the Department of Justice. That's just how it should go.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

ScrubLeague posted:

Oh absolutely, you're loving insane if you believe either of them could get a fair trial in the Department of Justice. That's just how it should go.

In an ideal world Manning would be as much of a good poster as she is a hero but we don't get that world.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Zeris posted:

Trump and his son are too, hope you love them as much

Neither Trump nor any of his sons are whistleblowers. The only association of the word whistleblower with them is how they're trying to remove or ignore the protections Obama put in place when dealing with the constant white house and agency leaks.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I guess blowing the whistle in yourself kind of counts.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it sux that chelsea's leaks didn't put any troops in danger whatsoever

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
[quote="“Robotnik Nudes”" post="“474319154”"]
I guess blowing the whistle in yourself kind of counts.
[/quote]

IN yourself seems like an accomplishment

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Robotnik Nudes posted:

In an ideal world Manning would be as much of a good poster as she is a hero but we don't get that world.

her twitter game is pretty baller tbqh, similar to Cher

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I liked this thread better when it was about pizza

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Wasn't Manning thrown in solitary confinement for no reason other than spite

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Ooooo, you made the empire mad!

*puts hands on hips and purses da lips*

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

got any sevens posted:

her twitter game is pretty baller tbqh, similar to Cher

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/885529659869458432

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Brother Friendship posted:

Wasn't Manning thrown in solitary confinement for no reason other than spite

She was given an absurdly long sentence that required the president of the united states to step in and shorten.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

an actual dog posted:

She was given an absurdly long sentence that required the president of the united states to step in and shorten.

I know but I was referring to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/mar/12/bradley-manning-cruel-inhuman-treatment-un

quote:

The UN special rapporteur on torture has formally accused the US government of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment towards Bradley Manning, the US soldier who was held in solitary confinement for almost a year on suspicion of being the WikiLeaks source.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Yes this is one thing the government and military did wrong. Letting her out after only seven years was another one.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

breaklaw posted:

Yes this is one thing the government and military did wrong. Letting her out after only seven years was another one.

True. She should never have been in.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

breaklaw posted:

lol what the gently caress. The normal sentence for what she did is like three years.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

an actual dog posted:

I liked this thread better when it was about pizza

idk this was a good one

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/885140738807181312

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/885553461730975744

manning in the army = bad

manning on twitter = good

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

an actual dog posted:

lol what the gently caress. The normal sentence for what she did is like three years.

Three years for initially publishing classified documents? No where in the world is that normal.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

R. Guyovich posted:

im the dsa gang tag haver who loves the united states armed forces

And apparently I'm the straw man.

E: to reiterate my first post in this thread, Manning is very good, and I hope more and more people follow her example, and that overt and covert imperialist realpolitik "force-projection" is abandoned as completely impractical (and oh btw an endless font of industrialized mass-murder).

On further thought zeris may be right about Don Jr. contributing to that, though it's obviously unintentional.

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Jul 13, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's a lot of people here that don't seem to be aware that the government already tacitly admitted none of the released documents could be tied to casualties anywhere following the release

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, that's really too bad.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

breaklaw posted:

Three years for initially publishing classified documents? No where in the world is that normal.

Not all mistreatment of classified material is treated the same. The reason she originally got 35 years is that the prosecution dug into the "she did it to harm America" angle. Without that she would have been out years ago.

David Petraeus did the same thing and didn't serve any jail time lol.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

there's a lot of people here that don't seem to be aware that the government already tacitly admitted none of the released documents could be tied to casualties anywhere following the release

Source?

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Zeris posted:

Source?

From 2010:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11882092

quote:

On Saturday, US state department legal adviser Harold Koh wrote in a letter to Wikileaks that the most recent document dump "could place at risk the lives of countless innocent individuals" as well as "ongoing military operations".

He accused Wikileaks of endangerment "without regard to the security and the sanctity of the lives your actions endanger".

But is there any real evidence of this peril?
Justification for secrecy

The problem for officials like Mr Koh is proving direct links between the information released and any loss of life.

After the release of an enormous haul of US defence department documents in August, Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell told the Washington Post: "We have yet to see any harm come to anyone in Afghanistan that we can directly tie to exposure in the Wikileaks documents."
Image caption Pentagon Papers whistle-blower Daniel Ellsberg says silence puts lives at risk

But, he added: "There is in all likelihood a lag between exposure of these documents and jeopardy in the field."

From 2013:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/bradley-manning-sentencing-hearing-pentagon

quote:

Brigadier general Robert Carr, a senior counter-intelligence officer who headed the Information Review Task Force that investigated the impact of WikiLeaks disclosures on behalf of the Defense Department, told a court at Fort Meade, Maryland, that they had uncovered no specific examples of anyone who had lost his or her life in reprisals that followed the publication of the disclosures on the internet. "I don't have a specific example," he said.

It has been one of the main criticisms of the WikiLeaks publications that they put lives at risk, particularly in Iran and Afghanistan. The admission by the Pentagon's chief investigator into the fallout from WikiLeaks that no such casualties were identified marks a significant undermining of such arguments.

Carr, who retired from active duty in 2011 and now works for the private defence firm Northrop Grumman, was the first witness called by the US government in the sentencing phase of the prosecution of the army private. Manning was on Tuesday found guilty of 20 counts offences relating to his transmission of US state secrets to WikiLeaks, carrying a maximum sentence of 136 years in military jail.

Carr initially toldl the judge presiding over the case, Colonel Denise Lind, that there had been an individual killed in Afghanistan as a result of the publication by WikiLeaks of the Afghan war logs that recorded military activities on the ground. "As a result of the Afghan logs I know of one individual killed – an Afghan national who had a relationship with the US government and the Taliban came out and said publicly that they had killed him as a result of him being associated with information in these logs," Carr said.

But under defence cross-examination Carr conceded that the victim's name had not be included in the war logs made public by WikiLeaks. Asked by Lind whether the individual who was killed was tied to the disclosures, Carr replied: "The Taliban killed him and tied him to the disclosures. We went back and looked for the name in the disclosures. The name of the individual killed was not in the disclosures."

On the basis of the witness's clarification, Lind sustained an objection from the defence and scrubbed from the official record any reference to the alleged killing by the Taliban.

I'm not sure if the leaks led to the death of Afghans though. I think I read something about that years back but I'm not sure, didn't find anything in my Googling. It's easy to see how it would have a negative effect on local sources cooperating with the US military.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hahhahaaaa

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/886335700756549632

"you 😩🎮"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

oh my god yes

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Brother Friendship posted:

From 2010:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11882092

From 2013:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/bradley-manning-sentencing-hearing-pentagon

I'm not sure if the leaks led to the death of Afghans though. I think I read something about that years back but I'm not sure, didn't find anything in my Googling. It's easy to see how it would have a negative effect on local sources cooperating with the US military.

Okay that's pretty damned solid.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is Ian's name now

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/895619097051840513

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chelsea Manning is legit and I'm glad she makes idiot nerdlings go into a rage on the internet

Also, I donated money to her fundraiser and she used it for legos, which makes me smile

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that vogue article makes me very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/LUCY____BROWN/status/896342231350693888https://twitter.com/LUCY____BROWN/status/896342231350693888

I hate this loving dumbass world.

• Locked thread