Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

What is this game?

Lego City: Undercover is a game released in 2013 by Travelers Tales (AKA the guys who make all Lego games) chronicling the adventures of Chase McCain as he returns from exile trying to bring master criminal Rex Fury to justice. This is a game that I quite enjoy despite the infamous loading screens and the fact that the postgame is massive, maybe too big for it's own good, but that point means that each of the mechanics gets plenty of playtime.

Format of the LP

I will be running through the game at a normal pace, doing side stuff as it is en route but not going too far out of the way unless I feel it will save a lot of time in the long run (There's one detour that I'm going to take as soon as I get the mechanics unlocked). I will endeavor to get 100% of the stuff in this game, which I have done twice before so I know roughly where everything is.

This will also be my first attempt at Live Commentary, so we'll see how that goes.

A pitfall is that I only have the Wii U version of the game, because I don't feel like dropping £40 on a game I already own. This means that anything that happens on the tablet is invisible to the audience as there is no good way to record the tablet controller that I have access to, but all the audience will be missing out on is the video part of video calls (The audience will still get the audio as it pipes through the main TV). For menu-heavy mechanics, like shops, I will show all costumes and vehicles unlocked in bonus videos as they become relevant.

Thread Rules/Spoiler Policy

This game has a surprisingly intricate plot, so please no spoilers about where the plot goes, even in tags. If it's not in a video, don't talk about it. Also don't point out where things are being "missed" - if there is something I could be doing but aren't there is a reason. I know it's there, but it's likely to be too far out of the way to bother with right then. With a few exceptions I won't be starting something that I cannot finish right then for clarity's sake.

Videos:
Part 1 - Welcome to Lego City! 0.7% Complete.
Part 2 - Grappling with Evil, Running with Bandits! 1.9% Complete.
Part 3 - Concerning Convicts. 4.1% Complete.
Part 4 - Mine, All Mine! 5.7% Complete.
Part 5 - Is Jason Statham teaching me Martial Arts? 7.0% Complete.
Part 6 - The (Former) Prisoner. 10.3% Complete
Part 7 - Planes, Trains and Automobiles - 11.5% Complete
Part 8 - The Peril of Parking Violations - 12.3% Complete
Part 9 - First time for Everything! - 13.4% Complete
Part 10 - Mikey Spoilers needs to Read the OP! - 15.4% Complete
Part 11 - Introducing: Time Saver Alpha! - 16.0% Complete
Part 12 - In Big Trouble in Little China - 20.0% Complete
Part 13 - Farmville - 21.6% Complete
Part 14 - It Belongs Anywhere But In a Museum!- 22.7% Complete
Part 15 - When am I ever going to use this?- 24.1% Complete
Part 16 - Another rescue?- 25.4% Complete
Part 17 - Magnates: How do they Work?- 31.0% Complete
Part 18 - Brainfreeze! - 32.3% Complete
Part 19 - Bad First Impressions - 33.9% Complete
Part 20 - The True Mastermind - 35.1% Complete
Part 21 - We are riders. On a mission - 36.5% Complete
Part 22 - In Space... No one can hear me squee -37.7% Complete
Part 23 - Cherry Tree Hills Roundup - 41.7% Complete
Part 24 - Level 1 and Heritage Bridge Roundup - 43.4% Complete
Part 25 - Sweep of Levels 2 and 3 - 45.0% Complete
Part 26a - Auburn Part 1 - 47.9% Complete
Part 26b - Auburn Part 2 - 47.9% Complete
Part 27 - Fort Meadows Round Up - 51.5% Complete
Part 28 - Bluebell National Park Cleanout - 53.5% Complete
Part 29 - Dojo and Bank cleanout - 56.9% Complete
Part 30 - Uptown Clearout! - 58.2% Complete
Part 31 - Lego City Airport Clearout - 60.0% Complete
Part 32 - Space Centre and Scrapyard Clearout! - 60.3% Complete
Part 33 - Paradise Sands Clearout - 61.8% Complete
Part 34 - Fresco Cleanup - 63.4% Complete
Part 35 - Museum and Fire Department Cleanout! - 70.6% Complete
Part 36 - Kings Court Cleanout!- 72.4% Complete
Part 37 - Downtown Cleanup - 76.3
Part 38 - Blackwell Manor 1 and Pappalardos Clearout - 77.8% Complete
Part 39 - Festival Square - 78.8% Complete
Part 40 - Pagoda Cleanout - 81.6% Complete
Part 41 - Construction Site and Secret Base cleanup - 83.6% Complete
Part 42 - Bright Lights Plaza - 85.7% Complete
Bonus 1 - Character Showcase - Residents (Subclass of Civilians)
Part 43 - Park - 87.7% Complete
Bonus 2 - Vehicles Showcase - Emergency
Part 44 - Blackwell Manor 2 and Moonbase Clearout - 88.2% Complete
Part 45 - Tunnel Snakes and Jeff Bridges - 89.1
Bonus 3 - Vehicles Showcase - Performance
Part 46 - Albatross Island Cleanup - 91.7%
Part 47 - Apollo Island Cleanup - 95.1%
Bonus 4 - Worker and Heavy Vehicles, and Aircraft Showcase
Bonus 5 - Service Workers Showcase
Part 48 - Lady Liberty Island - 98.3%
Bonus 6 - Cops and Robbers Showcase
Bonus 7 - Miners, Astronauts, Farmers, Firemen and Construction Worker Showcase
Bonus 8 - Special Characters
Bonus 9 - Vehicles
Part 49 - Finale - 100% Complete!
Part 50 - Bonus Missions (Not counted towards final percentage)

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Current Progress: :siren:100% Complete:siren: (40.5% Came from buying unlocked tokens and the unlocked red bricks from the police station)

All Tokens/Red bricks from videos 1-5

All Tokens/Red bricks from videos 6-11

All Tokens/Red bricks from videos 12-22

All Tokens/Red bricks from videos 23-27

All Tokens/Red bricks from videos 28-33

All Tokens/Red bricks from videos 34-39

All Tokens/Red bricks from videos 40-47

Video 48

Character Tokens
274)Forest Fireman (All BBQ Fires Extinguished)
275)Barney Greenschist (All Boulders Broken)
276)Demolition Dummy
277)Security Supervisor
278)Ellie Phillips
279)Albert Spindlerouter (All Coffee Breaks Taken)
280)Bandit (All ATMs Robbed)
281)Jethro Hayes (All Pigs Returned)
282)Space Alien (All Aliens Captured)
283)Troublemaker Tim
284)Squirrel McTavish (All Flowers Watered)
285)Rod Stanchion (All Drill Thrills Done)
286)Mine Foreman (All Silver Statues Destroyed)
287)Explorer
288)Cornelius Burns (All Cats Rescued)
289)Rex Fury (Astronaut) (All Districts Conquered)
290)Hockey Player

Vehicle Tokens
109)Cabrakan
110)Redeemer
:siren:Bonus Vehicle: Justice
:siren:Bonus Vehicle: Spirit

Red Bricks
40)Mario Hat

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 2, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Oh hey, I was subscribed to you and didn't even realize it. Cool beans. I'm surprised your video didn't get busted for the licensed music.

Also, the game subtitled "Doughnuts" properly. It has my undying respect for that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Now that you mention it, me too. Youtube has a copyrighted material notice on it, but that might just be the game footage itself. Luckily I think all the rest of the music is original, so it shouldn't pose a problem. Not like it's a Guitar Hero LP :P

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's way harder to notice when you're talking, but I just realized the in-game audio has a definite echo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thanks for letting me know, I hadn't noticed. I'll keep an eye out for that in future videos. Just checked the uploaded vvid but couldn't hear any echo myself. Is it only noticeable through headphones?

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 18, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Thanks for letting me know, I hadn't noticed. I'll keep an eye out for that in future videos. Just checked the uploaded vvid but couldn't hear any echo myself. Is it only noticeable through headphones?

I can hear it with or without headphones, made sure to check. It was most noticeable during the Police Station tour.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I can hear it with or without headphones, made sure to check. It was most noticeable during the Police Station tour.

For future vids I'll add an extra line in avisynth and use the KillAudio() command on the source to make sure that the source vid's audio doesn't leak across when the AudioDub command is applied. Also that was the very section I checked. Maybe it's a speaker thing, or some other difference between our setups.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Is anyone here a bank robbing clown?

That line still gets me ROFL every time I hear it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Is anyone here a bank robbing clown?

That line still gets me ROFL every time I hear it.

How is the audio for you BTW? Any echo on your end?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Fine, no echo here. Could be a speaker setup difference like you said.

Looking forward to the rest of the game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The echo is there, is the WiiU gamepad turned up? That could be picking up on microphone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The volume on my pad is completely off, I just checked. For part 2 I'll try manually muting the source in AVISynth before using the AudioDub command to see if that stops it, although I thought that that killed the source audio automatically. If not I have no idea what else I can try. This is why I kept nagging the sandcastle for any input before the thread went live, but I was largely ignored. Either that or a bunch of people didn't hear the echo.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 19, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

What are you using to record the footage? Also I still enjoyed watching it anyway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

What are you using to record the footage? Also I still enjoyed watching it anyway.

I'm using the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro Card. Freestanding Mic on my couch for capturing my commentary (and I've checked the raw commentary file, there is no sound from the TV being picked up by that microphone, or if there is it is imperceptible.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You may want to use a headset just in case.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll see how things go during part 2, and if the software/code fix doesn't get rid of the echo I'll get a headset that can reach for part 3 onwards. Do you recommend USB with extention cord, or wireless for better quality over distance?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Everything about the name Lego City: Undercover sounds great to me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To avoid this thread getting bogged down in tech issues from the start, I'll next post the original recorded file as an unlisted vid to make sure there is no audio echo in the footage itself. If the footage is fine I'll go back to post-commentary for the rest of things as I use a head set for that. The live commentary was an experiment that I'll count as failed for now, but tweak the idea for future projects.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Here's the raw footage - is there any echo to the base recording? If not I'll redo the commentary tomorrow, add the line in avisynth to mute the source vid just in case and see how that goes. Post-com should avoid any echo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOj6gP6zRUE

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Nope, the base recording is clear.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I love this game so much. It was my first Lego game and one of my favorites on Wii U. I love the whole premise. It's basically GTA with Lego people. It's wonderful and I love it. And I like all the referential humor, so there.

(There was some echoing in the police station in the first video still.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I love this game so much. It was my first Lego game and one of my favorites on Wii U. I love the whole premise. It's basically GTA with Lego people. It's wonderful and I love it. And I like all the referential humor, so there.

(There was some echoing in the police station in the first video still.)

In that case I have no idea what's causing it if it's still happening there. There should be literally nothing that could be causing that, the audio is piped directly from the Wii U to the MP4. I guess this'll have to be the best I can do clearing it, so I'll rerecord the audio tomorrow, have the second vid done by the end of the week, and see how things go from there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6foi9AllBs

Here's the post commentary version - how is this one? At this point, since I have had feedback from 6 people 3 of which can hear an echo and 3 of which cannot, I am willing to go by the assumption that the echo isn't a problem on my end - if the echo was the video, surely everyone would hear it, as all are getting the same codecs/footage. I can only assume it's not my problem as I have tried everything that I can think of in processing to get rid of it. From now on, if this is the standard, will that be fine? Can everyone live with that? If so then the next video will be up by the end of the week, and I'll update the OP with the new link.

Sorry if that sounded angry, this echo thing is really frustrating, especially because I cannot hear it myself and so have no way of telling if what I'm doing is working or not.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I clicked through the video and good news! I didn't hear any echoing. :woop:

I feel you on the technical issues. I know it's frustrating.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Finally, time to party! With 25~ hours of platforming. Oh boy... This'll be my longest LP yet. :v:

Episode 2 will be either Fri or Sat. In time the second post will update once more! A prophecy worthy of Helenus herself! (Honestly though probably more like Cassandra - in that no one will believe me and it will be the death of this forum)

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 22, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

That was fun. And 0.7%??? Horrible horrible collect-o-tron...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

NHO posted:

That was fun. And 0.7%??? Horrible horrible collect-o-tron...

Not as bad as it sounds, you get like 40% from buying all the poo poo you unlock via the tokens, so there will be large jumps in percentage when I buy the unlocked stuff for the "Show off the shop stuff" catalog vids. They will be done every few parts, one for character token, one for vehicle tokens. Red Bricks bought and anything else not video worthy that effects percentage (specifically not mentioning what due to spoilers) will be cataloged in a separate way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 2 - Grappling with Evil, Running with Bandits! 1.9% Complete.
The second video is now live! Let me know if any issues crop up on this one. I'll update the second post once it's clear.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Enjoyed the second episode as much as the first, and the video seemed quite good to me. I didn't notice any problems at all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yay! The recording and updating will likely be irregular but frequent enough, now that I have a method. They'll go up as they are made. I just didn't want to get too far ahead in case of some major issue cropping up requiring rerecords. Also the second post is now up to date.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 23, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

The game is quite funny - it tries to follow school of Airplane!, if not as condensed due to the nature of open world, and mostly succeeds.

I do feel that there would be at least one Chief D with heroic rescue and one horribly subverted rescue. And Honey either gets his act together or a mole.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 3 - Concerning Convicts - 4.1% Complete.

We explore a little of Albatross Island, complete the Prison level and get what I consider to be the first Big Time Saver in the game - the first multiplier!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

You know that, with that Shawshank Redemption reference, I'm now required to post this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The next two videos may have a slight stutter every now and then. Not enough to desync and no lost frames, just a single duplicated frame. I'm not sure but it may have been because during those sessions the Wii U had a little slowdown trying to run the Streaming Open World while being recorded at the same time. In case it's Roxio I've run a repair on it, but if that doesn't help and cutscenes aren't effected it may just need to be. (It could be worse, my Wii U has been known to freeze entirely. Not often, but enough that I'm glad I record post-com now as it means I can just stitch effected vids together).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 4 - Mine, All Mine! 5.7% Complete.

Looks like the stutter went away in editing, so we're fine. Here's the next episode, in which I try to be clever on the way to level 3, it backfires slightly as two of the things I wanted to do aren't possible yet (although a lot of other things are accomplished), then we end with a bang after completing the third level!

Edit: By the way I just edited the next video, which has probably the most annoying mission in the game. Cutting out my two failed attempts plus driving back to the start of the mission, a 45 minute video turned into a 32 minute video. 13 Minutes of failure :v:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 28, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Interesting. It feels like they dropped off some humor this level.

Interesting what Great Kung-Fu Palace would bring.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

NHO posted:

Interesting. It feels like they dropped off some humor this level.

Interesting what Great Kung-Fu Palace would bring.

Well to be fair it's a Lego game trying to do a GTA style crime story - there are going to be moments that need to be taken seriously for Rex to be a believable villain. It can't all be ice-cream trucks and lawnmowers.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I love the prison sequence. A whole level with an extended reference to The Shawshank Redemption? I appreciate the bits of more adult-ish humor in the game.

I actually changed Chase into his street clothes for this level. I figured he'd stick out like a sore thumb in his police uniform.

Also I didn't figure out how to actually buy/activate cheats until I beat the game. Oops!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Part 5 - Is Jason Statham teaching me Martial Arts? 7.0% Complete.

We finish what I consider to be the first "act" introducing the important characters, concepts and mechanics. After this, the true tests of Chase's prowess will commence. He can fight, be can be a good cop, but can he be a convincing criminal? We'll find out soon enough. After this loving VEHICLE MISSION that I failed twice, having to cut out 13 minutes of trying, failing and driving all the way back to the start. This ends with my least favourite required mission in perhaps the entire game.

Edit: BTW after this session I bought all vehicle and character tokens that I had unlocked up to and including this video - the totals were 200,000 Studs spent and 1.9% added to the counter, so the sixth video will start at 8.9% Completed as a result. I've updated how I'm planning on showing the tokens off - whenever I complete a "category" of vehicles or characters I make a video showing all things in that category (like, all compact cars in one vid, all police vehicles in another, all criminals in another etc.)

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 30, 2017

• Locked thread