Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thank you for making this, it's long overdue.

Unfortunately I only found this thread because I was looking for the proper place to discuss the death of Gregg Allman :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This seems like the appropriate place to talk about how I'm seeing Tool on Thursday because someone I sort of know had an extra ticket and I was able to work him down from $150 to $100. Should be a good time. I only go to big arena type shows a couple of times a year at most.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

Their last album was actually good for the first time since The Colour and the Shape so I'm interested at least. New song isn't very good though, the fast parts are fun but the rest drags on.

Their last album was totally boring. Wasting Light was excellent though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah Wasting Light is a solid album, I actually liked the previous one more than most did, but it's hard to argue they didn't return to form in a pretty big way there. The song that's held up best for me is "Dear Rosemary" -- the momentum from the bridge all the way through to the end is classic stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwz9RHfqDUQ

Oh also, does Queens Of The Stone Age go in this thread? I know there's a "Stoner Rock" thread but I don't think anyone including the band have considered them in that genre for a long time now.

Anyway, apparently they're up to something. Just cryptic ARG-type stuff at the moment, but it's something: http://www.qotsa.com/

The stoner thread is really for metal. This is definitely QotSA friendly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

angrygodofjebus posted:

How were they at this age? I've seen them 3 times, but not once in the last 10 years.

Pretty solid, though Maynard doesn't do the Grudge scream anymore (his vocals were also too low in the mix). They played a good mix of songs from every era (strangely two songs from Opiate and none from Undertow). Danny is still mesmerizing.

My minor beef is that they have an intermission but the second set is just a drum solo and three songs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Primus album coming September 29. Fall tour as well.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/primus-les-claypool-on-mining-trippy-childrens-book-for-new-lp-w494798

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A Perfect Circle are going on tour

Oct. 21 – Sacramento, Ca. @ Aftershock Festival
Oct. 23 – Colorado Springs, Colorado. @ Broadmoor World Arena
Oct. 25 – Albuquerque, N.M. @ Tingley Coliseum
Oct. 26 – El Paso, TX @ Don Haskins Center
Oct. 30 – Knoxville, Tenn. @ Thompson-Boling Arena
Nov. 01 – Fairfax, Va. @ EagleBank Arena
Nov. 02 – Brooklyn, N.Y. @ Tidal Theater at Barclays Center
Nov. 04 – Reading, Pa. @ Santander Arena
Nov. 05 – Uncasville, Conn. @ Mohegan Sun Arena
Nov. 07 – Camden, N.J. @ BB&T Pavilion
Nov. 08 – Boston, Mass. @ Agganis Arena
Nov. 10 – Portland, Maine @ Cross Insurance Center
Nov. 11 – Albany, N.Y. @ Times Union Center
Nov. 12 – Syracuse, N.Y. @ The OnCenter Arena
Nov. 14 – Montreal, Quebec @ Laval Centre
Nov. 15 – Toronto, Ontario @ Air Canada Centre
Nov. 17 – Pittsburgh, Pa. @ Petersen Events Center
Nov. 18 – Cleveland, Ohio @ Wolstein Center
Nov. 19 – Highland Heights, Ky. @ BB&T Arena
Nov. 21 – Detroit, Mich. @ Fox Theatre
Nov. 22 – Grand Rapids, Mich. @ The DeltaPlex Arena
Nov. 24 – Chicago, Illinois. @ UIC Pavilion
Nov. 25 – St. Paul, Minn. @ Xcel EnergyCenter
Nov. 28 – Spokane, Wash. @ Spokane Arena
Nov. 30 – Vancouver, British Columbia @ PNE Coliseum
Dec. 01 – Seattle, Wash. @ Key Arena
Dec. 02 – Portland, Oregon @ Veteran’s Memorial Coliseum
Dec. 04 – Eugene, Oregon @ Matthew Knight Center

https://www.vividseats.com/concerts/a-perfect-circle-tickets.html

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

I picked up "We're An American Band" by Grand Funk and I thought it was all going to be party-time buttrock like the title track. I was pleasantly surprised to find that a lot of it had santana-esque extended jamming. Those guys were pretty good players!

Closer to Home is a kickass LP too

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Chicago sold out quick enough that they added a 2nd show.

Yeah but they're one of the biggest bands ever to come out of here

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Does that even still matter 20+ years later?

Evidently yes. Bob Seger remains a huge draw in Detroit 40 years after his heyday and I doubt he sells out many arenas elsewhere.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Of all the group's to imitate in 2018 why Rush?

It's like that alt rock group that just sprung up thats desperately trying to be Led Zeppelin

Greta Van Fleet? It’s working out extremely well for them so far.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
For a long time I had all Les Claypool projects genre tagged as Les Claypool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's them channeling King Crimson. They played it in full on this last tour. People definitely had no idea they even put something out last year.

• Locked thread