Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Minrad
Sep 26, 2007

I will never forget your smiles. I feel like I saved the world today. Just feeling like that is enough for me.

Destiny 2 was announced as coming to PC a few months ago, and so a lot of people assumed that meant it would be on Steam. Today Activision announced that Destiny 2 would be coming to and sold through the Blizzard App Formerly Known As Battle.net today, and apparently some people are upset about this?

I don't know anything about Destiny but I wonder if this means we can see some of their characters in Heroes of the Storm as it finishes its transition to FPS from a MOBA.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/news/?d=2017-5#181745

FAQ:

quote:

Why are you adding a non-Blizzard game to Blizzard's platform?

We loved Destiny and think Destiny 2 is going to be a great game. Blizzard has an established and successful global internet infrastructure we’ve used for years to support our own games. Creating a new network client for Destiny 2, which is bringing the franchise to PC for the first time, would needlessly extend the development period for the game. We want to get our hands on Destiny 2 as soon as possible like everybody else, so we offered to share our PC platform with our sister companies for this release.

Does this mean other games are going to come to the Blizzard platform too?

Our focus in terms of supporting non-Blizzard games is solely around Destiny 2. Aside from potentially evaluating needs or opportunities for future Activision games, we don’t have any short- or long-term plans to support third-party games with Battle.net. It’s important to us to maintain our quality standards for any experience or service we’re putting in front of our players, which represents a big investment of time and effort on our part, so this is not something we’re jumping into lightly.

Does this mean I'll be able to use my Blizzard Balance to purchase Destiny 2?

Yes!

Will Destiny 2 offer the same cross-game social features that Blizzard titles currently have?

Destiny 2 will be integrated into many of Blizzard’s existing social features—you’ll be able to chat with friends playing Destiny 2 the same way you already can for Blizzard games. Players will also be able to add friends and form parties the same way Blizzard gamers can. And, you’ll see a Destiny 2 status icon by your friends who are playing Destiny 2 the same way you do for friends playing StarCraft II, Diablo III, WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, and Overwatch.

Where and when will Destiny 2 on PC be available?

We’re excited to work with Bungie to bring the PC version of Destiny 2 to every region Blizzard currently operates in. Bungie is actively working through the global details. We look forward to sharing additional information later this year.

Who will be operating Destiny 2’s servers?

Bungie will maintain Destiny 2’s servers; Blizzard’s servers will be used for features related to the Blizzard platform, such as login and social functionality.

And what about customer service?

Destiny 2’s gameplay customer service will be handled by Bungie; Blizzard will handle customer service for platform and shop issues specific to our service.

Minrad fucked around with this message at May 18, 2017 around 18:29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

you got a source?

Minrad
Sep 26, 2007

I will never forget your smiles. I feel like I saved the world today. Just feeling like that is enough for me.

Spanish Manlove posted:

you got a source?

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/865265659449491460

You will also be able to use your Blizzard balance to buy the game. Using WoW gold to buy activision games, what a world

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

and she told me, "Listen honey. There's hundreds of strong men out there. I like men who are kind, who are honest, men who can be open with me."

Minrad posted:

You will also be able to use your Blizzard balance to buy the game. Using WoW gold to buy activision games, what a world

All my RMAH Blizzbucks still paying dividends in 2017.

Minrad
Sep 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

All my RMAH Blizzbucks still paying dividends in 2017.

playing clicker phone game with actual money payout thanks to token balance, what a world we live in

speaking of which, it looks like wow token prices are already spiking

https://wowtoken.info/

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Their own website says "Battle.Net" multiple times. Is it cool to say Battle.Net again??

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Goonstone Champ x2

How come my BLIZZARD CLIENT freezes every 10-20 seconds for 30+ seconds ever since it transitioned from the battle.net client with a good logo to the blizzard client with a garbage logo (& garbage name).

It also often does this when I try to launch a game, open the buddy list, or open a chat window with a friend.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

get beefy bitch

Khorne posted:

How come my BLIZZARD CLIENT freezes every 10-20 seconds for 30+ seconds ever since it transitioned from the battle.net client with a good logo to the blizzard client with a garbage logo (& garbage name).

It also often does this when I try to launch a game, open the buddy list, or open a chat window with a friend.

Go into options and have Battle.net close when you start games

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I was gonna play Destiny 2 when it came out on pc, I like shoot guns and sci-fi but can't stand fps's on console. It's a loving weird rear end decision though since I imagine not hosting it on steam might cost them a lot of easy advertising money.

Minrad
Sep 26, 2007

steam takes a huge cut in sales though, a cut that activision doesn't have to deal with if they use battle.net

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So is this the Destiny 2 PC thread?

Minrad
Sep 26, 2007

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Heroes never die!

Pork Pro

Minrad posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/865265659449491460

Jesus blizz call it battle.net or call it blizzard app, just pick one and stick with it

Minrad
Sep 26, 2007

i put the blame on them choosing "Blizzard app" because that's not a name, that's just what it -is-.

they should've named it something vaguely clever, like Storm, if the name change was so god drat important.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers

Pillbug

Minrad posted:

i put the blame on them choosing "Blizzard app" because that's not a name, that's just what it -is-.

they should've named it something vaguely clever, like Storm, if the name change was so god drat important.

Another variant of HotS

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

GigaPeon posted:

Their own website says "Battle.Net" multiple times. Is it cool to say Battle.Net again??

Who to believe

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005

Phoenixes we can believe in

Thisuck posted:

Another variant of HotS

That brings up the important question, will a Destiny character be added to HotS?

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Destiny came out and everyone was really hyped, but then it was really bad and everyone hated it, and then they started changing things and fixing it, but also maybe not because they didn't fix enough, and now I don't know if Destiny is actually good or not because I've never cared either way

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

That brings up the important question, will a Destiny character be added to HotS?

Make it Cayde

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers

Pillbug

Kassoon posted:

Destiny came out and everyone was really hyped, but then it was really bad and everyone hated it, and then they started changing things and fixing it, but also maybe not because they didn't fix enough, and now I don't know if Destiny is actually good or not because I've never cared either way

You can exchange Destiny with Diablo 3 very easily in there.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

#1 CAPITALS FAN
Available on the App Store

I don't know much about Destiny but a Probius skin that turns him into the robot voiced by Peter Dinklage would be awesome.

I'd rather have Tyrion Lannister in Heroes of the Storm though.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

BGrifter posted:

I don't know much about Destiny but a Probius skin that turns him into the robot voiced by Peter Dinklage would be awesome.

Nolan North now, Dinklebot got the chop a while ago and had every single line of dialogue replaced.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Nolan North now, Dinklebot got the chop a while ago and had every single line of dialogue replaced.

I read somewhere that Dinklage kept trying to, you know, act when he recorded his lines and the director or whoever kept going, "No no no more of like a robot, no emotion!" Can anyone confirm this?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

porfiria posted:

I read somewhere that Dinklage kept trying to, you know, act when he recorded his lines and the director or whoever kept going, "No no no more of like a robot, no emotion!" Can anyone confirm this?

Dunno, but I preferred the original Dink voice to Nolan North. The Dink version had a very flat affect, like the character was designed, and I think dude did a good job with the role. After that there was some outcry that he didn't sound like a character, or something, so they brought in Nolan North and I guess they were just like HAM IT UP

Minrad
Sep 26, 2007

supposedly it was because Peter Dinklage is an actual popular actor who gets a lot of jobs now, so it's hard to bring him in on demand to record something vs nolan north being available due to all the work he puts in on uh, uncharted, and

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

signalnoise posted:

Make it Cayde

Nathan Fillion as an announcer voice feels like a license to steal nerd money

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Minrad posted:

supposedly it was because Peter Dinklage is an actual popular actor who gets a lot of jobs now, so it's hard to bring him in on demand to record something vs nolan north being available due to all the work he puts in on uh, uncharted, and Pretty Little Liars

FTFY

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dinklage was poo poo. There's no two ways about it. Just youtube his stuff on Destiny. I've seen more enthusiasm at funerals.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male

Slippery Tilde

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Dinklage was not that good. There's no two ways about it. Just youtube his stuff on Destiny. I've seen more enthusiasm at funerals.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Thisuck posted:

You can exchange Destiny with Diablo 3 very easily in there.

the irony is activision had the diablo 3 team come in and talk to bungie about how to turn poo poo around
worked out pretty well though, it's a much better game than it was at launch

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

I'm sorry for swearing

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

#1 CAPITALS FAN
Available on the App Store

Diablo 3 is fantastic now and basically paid for my Hearthstone collection when it was bad. Destiny could only dream of being that good.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male

Slippery Tilde

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm sorry for swearing

No, I agree with you and prefer Nolanbot to a completely silent ghost... but I recognize that Dinklebot had his charming moments.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

the game's tone was originally sci fi dark souls and dinklebot fit that really well.

the new one is loving annoying but the game's tone has swerved hard into halo bros/whacky cayde poo poo so i guess it doesnt matter now either way.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mr. Unlucky posted:

the game's tone was originally sci fi dark souls and dinklebot fit that really well.

??????????????????

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

Minrad posted:

supposedly it was because Peter Dinklage is an actual popular actor who gets a lot of jobs now, so it's hard to bring him in on demand to record something vs nolan north being available due to all the work he puts in on uh, uncharted, and

Kind of, the game was mostly rewritten at the 18th hour so they had about a two day window for Dinklage to re-record his entire script over the phone.

Donnerberg
Dec 15, 2008

Hell Gem

Dinklage's VO fit the game for the a shell of a product it was at the time.

I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. Day 1 Destiny had a soulless feel to it. A post-apocalyptic world filled with broken people with no goals beyond kill dudes, and no story beyond the scraps you could piece together. I get the people that compare it with the Dark Souls feel.

Donnerberg fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2017 around 16:51

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

I can see the resemblance, but Dark Souls was deliberate & carried on the ambiguous story-telling aspect of Demon's Souls, and the barebones feel of vanilla Destiny was down to the major development reset the game went through in its last 18 months or so. There was a meaty story in there, but it got removed. I remember vividly a line not making sense at all in one of the earliest missions in the game (the darkness is near, we have to finish this!), and when Ghost was re-voiced it was removed altogether.
The only plot element that made it to final was the stranger and everybody think she may even be retconned out of D2, it was such a poorly written character.

Taken King and Rise of Iron were both massive improvements and had interesting characters, well-written dialog, decent voice acting and gave the game an identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Goonstone Champ x2

Khorne posted:

Just an update, apparently it decided SC2 and WoW were on an old storage drive even though "LOOK FOR GAMES ELSEWHERE" is not enabled and these games are not "installed" on my system. It also won't let me change their folder, and I can't for the life of me find where this stupid application stores where it thinks games are to edit it manually. Places it doesn't store them: in the registry, in appdata/roaming, in plain text in appdata/local. How the hell can I get it to forget where these not actually installed games are? It's brutal as gently caress that my launcher (and bnet windows) freeze for 30s pretty much constantly.

Also, it doesn't let you just pick a random folder or drive on your actual hard drive. It has to verify the game install is there by some metric. I don't know the metric, and I don't want to install WoW or SC2 anyway. I'm open to tricking it into thinking those games are installed on my SSD with whatever files are needed to get it to not look at hard drives in a way that causes the program to freeze.

Khorne fucked around with this message at Jul 1, 2017 around 01:14

• Locked thread