Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Got Pallas Gallot on my first Shattered Throne since the rates changed, and finally got my Wayfarer's seal. :toot:

Comp is being a bitch, it feels like 90% of games are either facing a really good team that stomps you or being paired up with teammates that aren't done with the Red War campaign yet. I also feel like there's something I'm fundamentally missing about aiming and tactics. A lot of my shots go over the enemy's shoulder without hitting, it seems like I die in less than half a second to enemy fire even from an auto rifle at range, and most of the time when I pop a roaming super I get one kill then can't find anyone else. Any suggestions for how scrubs like me can git gud enough to manage to reach fabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Well, what weapons are you using typically? What's your resilience? I would run at least 5 resilience, 6 if you can swing it. Keep mobility high, too.

Anticipation without hesitation is key. Stick with teammates (but don't be stupid) and watch your radar. Quickly compare what your radar is telling you with the map around you and make a decision if you're going to pop out and make a play or find another angle instead. Anticipate where the other person is and act quickly, but be able to pop back into cover in case they get the drop on you still or are teamshooting. If there's been red on your radar for over a second or two you can count on the other person seeing that, too, and it means you're not getting the drop or advantage. I started forcing myself to slide more lately and it's amazing what that little fraction of a time advantage can do. You're also harder to hit when sliding.

Smugglers word, trust, erentil, jade rabbit, wardcliff coil are some of the weapons I've been having success with. But really right now it's all about special ammo. Take whatever green ammo using gun you're good with and put on some scavs/reserves and go to town. And also for the next two weeks if you're not spamming skip grenades or shadestep you're at a disadvantage. I main a titan for pvp and have been fun policing with suppression grenades and it makes a huge dent in the skip grenade spam. You can also throw nonstop shields with grenade juice.

A lot of it is map specific, too. Countdown on Meltdown? Does the other team have a sniper? Go inside (and don't jump up on the big wall at B, go wide right). No sniper on other team, or you're a great sniper? Go outside.

Don't sit on your super for too long, but try to save it for more of a clutch engagement rather than just getting kills. Like if the charge has been set and they're all alive and it's just you or 1 other teammate, pop the super and turn things around. There's a greater chance you'll find enemies that way too as they're trying to protect the bomb. Of course a super isn't a guaranteed team wipe so if you're not in a good position it might be better to take the round loss and save it for next round. Or if it's survival and it's 0 - 1 in lives, maybe your super will turn it around. Be aware of the enemy's supers. Don't dig your heals into a control point when you know a BB can come in and wipe you out.

You're going to encounter teams that are just going to stomp. Not much you can do about that, but you can help the problem of bad teammates/quitters by getting a fireteam together. At around 2600 glory solo queuing went from great to very bad very quickly. Sounds like it's time to team up for you.

As far as aiming goes, know your weapons range and try to use it at it's most effective point. Range affects not only damage falloff but also bullet 'magnetism'. High range and using it at the right range will be a lot more forgiving. Aim for the top of the head.

Use your radar, move quick/slide around, focus on living longer than getting more kills, teamshoot, be smart about your super.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 25, 2019

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
And an extra double cheeseburger, I am very hungry

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is resilience and all or nothing stat in PVP where it's either 6 or 0 ?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kinda. More resilience always means more damage resistance for things where you may take varying amounts of damage like being on the edges of a grenade or super explosion. But when you hit 6 you now have enough resistance to overcome certain breakpoints- things you could reliably not survive before become reliably survivable, some guns now take an extra shot to kill you, that sort of thing. There's another value up near the top of the scale where they change again but most players would rather have a few points in the other stats than try to hit it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

haveblue posted:

Kinda. More resilience always means more damage resistance for things where you may take varying amounts of damage like being on the edges of a grenade or super explosion. But when you hit 6 you now have enough resistance to overcome certain breakpoints- things you could reliably not survive before become reliably survivable, some guns now take an extra shot to kill you, that sort of thing. There's another value up near the top of the scale where they change again but most players would rather have a few points in the other stats than try to hit it.

Just due to quirky gear with decent perks I keep accidentally putting together max mobility/recovery min resil sets. Kinda works with my playstyle as I only ever like pulse rifles.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
9/1/5 with the Traction invisible +1 mobility is what I run with sidearms to take advantage of the crazy ADS enhancements and aerial advantage for in air with sidearms to delete Lunas idiots.

Who needs 5 resil lol

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

And an extra double cheeseburger, I am very hungry

sir, this is a taco bell

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

*pulls around*

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

yamdankee posted:

Well, what weapons are you using typically?
Typically a pulse rifle primary. My go-to for a long time has been the vendor Bygones, but I switched to Vigilance Wing yesterday after getting the catalyst. For shotguns I have a DRB with full choke, accurized rounds, slideshot (but I seldom remember that sliding exists in the middle of a fight), and full auto, and a Mindbender's Ambition with full choke, steady rounds, slideshot, and moving target. I've used hand cannons, including AoS (works well sometimes, but low RoF with my inconsistent aim is bad in close quarters) and a Trust with rapid hit (I'd use the vendor version but it messes with precision kills and I'm in that step of the Luna's quest). I've messed around with Last Word and Thorn but to poor results. For power I usually run a Through Fire and Flood with proximity detonation and a blast radius masterwork to try and pick up the (very) occasional double kill or calculated trajectory for the Mountaintop quest.

quote:

What's your resilience? I would run at least 5 resilience, 6 if you can swing it. Keep mobility high, too.
I'm usually In the neighborhood of 6/2/6 + traction for stats. Recovery seemed like a more powerful stat so I tried to boost that where I could. OTOH I did get killed in 3 hits by a service revolver when it wasn't clear that he was using kill clip.

quote:

Anticipation without hesitation is key. Stick with teammates (but don't be stupid) and watch your radar. Quickly compare what your radar is telling you with the map around you and make a decision if you're going to pop out and make a play or find another angle instead. Anticipate where the other person is and act quickly, but be able to pop back into cover in case they get the drop on you still or are teamshooting. If there's been red on your radar for over a second or two you can count on the other person seeing that, too, and it means you're not getting the drop or advantage. I started forcing myself to slide more lately and it's amazing what that little fraction of a time advantage can do. You're also harder to hit when sliding.
I started trying to concentrate on not dying and actively withdrawing from engagements rather than going for kills yesterday, and I think it's helping a bit. When I'm not in an engagement I'm usually looking at my radar, but I have a bad habit of poking my head around a corner to examine the single radar reading, only to get instantly killed by a one-shot weapon or there being multiple people who already have a bead on me.

quote:

Smugglers word, trust, erentil, jade rabbit, wardcliff coil are some of the weapons I've been having success with. But really right now it's all about special ammo. Take whatever green ammo using gun you're good with and put on some scavs/reserves and go to town. And also for the next two weeks if you're not spamming skip grenades or shadestep you're at a disadvantage. I main a titan for pvp and have been fun policing with suppression grenades and it makes a huge dent in the skip grenade spam. You can also throw nonstop shields with grenade juice.
My only non-trash roll on erentil is under pressure + high-impact reserves, and I still find it tough to use. I have Wardcliff but not the catalyst. I run a Hunter main, but the Shinobu's Vow thing hasn't been that effective for me. Although now that I think about it, I'm now under less pressure to get final blows with particular weapons than I was, which put a damper on grenade spam, so I should consider revisiting that.

I can get decent results (~3+ kills) from Spectral Blades, but lol that's Spectral Blades and you get to see where everyone is. I wish Nightstalkers had good grenades.

quote:

As far as aiming goes, know your weapons range and try to use it at it's most effective point. Range affects not only damage falloff but also bullet 'magnetism'. High range and using it at the right range will be a lot more forgiving. Aim for the top of the head.
One of the biggest problems I find is that when someone gets close to me and is moving around quickly I struggle to keep them in view, because it feels like I'm stuck in molasses even though I have sensitivity up to 7. Part of it might just be age; I'm in my mid-30s. But there are definitely times where I get the sensation that I ought to be able to move faster than I'm moving.

Is there a guide to when to/not to ADS?

How does matchmaking work in comp? Is it by rank, or does everyone just get thrown together? I see people with 17-kill streaks and also people with <100 light running mostly green with a couple blues, and I can't imagine how they ended up in the same pool if it isn't the latter. I'm not even sure how they're at the point in the campaign where you get access to the crucible, or why they chose to go right into comp.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 25, 2019

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47793

quote:

We wanted to give you a preview of some plans we have to balance Luna’s Howl and Not Forgotten in Season of Opulence. After significant amounts of feedback, internal discussion, and playtesting, we’ve decided to adjust how these Hand Cannons work. For some players, these weapons can represent a significant investment of time and the personal improvement needed to acquire them. When tuning, we attempt to take into account the time commitment players make to acquire weapons and balance that against how those weapons affect the different game modes.

Magnificent Howl (the unique perk on these weapons) is too effective. It works in a neutral setting and rewards players for getting precision shots—something they would have done naturally. As a result, the time to kill of the game shifts to meet this new benchmark, and players feel that the majority of primary weapons in Destiny 2 cannot compete with these pinnacle weapons.

Our current plan is to make Luna’s Howl and Not Forgotten the only 150 RPM precision Hand Cannons. They will maintain some aspects of their current behavior while taking on the firing speed and damage of the 150 RPM Hand Cannons. Magnificent Howl will also be adjusted so that it increases only body-shot damage, resulting in a two headshot/one body-shot kill. Magnificent Howl will still give an advantage due to requiring less precision hits for optimal time to kill.

Like we do whenever Destiny gameplay evolves, we’ll be watching the conversation starting today on our planned changes. We’ll continue collecting feedback once these changes go live at the beginning of Season of Opulence. If you have feedback now, please make sure to sound off on the #Destiny2 forum, right here on bungie.net

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

lmao loving cowards, leave them as is and just add a Redrix's version anyone can get.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

^burtle posted:

lmao loving cowards, leave them as is and just add a Redrix's version anyone can get.

That’s like the worst manifestation of the “no nerfs just buffs!” cry that’s fundamentally wrong as an absolute.

If you have a game breaking outlier you nerf it.

It’s served it’s purpose of getting sweatlords back into the pvp side, it can die now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The invitation of the nine bit is funnier IMO

Like, you can try imagining hypothetical processes that led them to shipping something like that and none of them make it not look like it was developed by clowns

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

haveblue posted:

The invitation of the nine bit is funnier IMO

Like, you can try imagining hypothetical processes that led them to shipping something like that and none of them make it not look like it was developed by clowns

quote:

Denial of the Nine
Tomorrow, the seventh Invitation of the Nine will become available from Xûr. Before this pursuit goes live, we’d like to make players aware of a blocking issue, which we are currently working on.

Tomorrow’s invitation, titled “The Tower,” will require players to complete the Hollowed Lair strike and defeat Hive, Scorn, and Vex on the Tangled Shore. Currently, this invitation cannot be completed, since Vex are not available as enemies at any location on the Tangled Shore. This issue does not impact previous Invitations of the Nine, only "The Tower" invitation is currently blocked. We are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Yeah that's pretty amazing. :psyduck:

Seven weeks in and no one noticed this poo poo?

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Im so happy about the LH and NF nerf.

I can feel the KD doubling.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

CheeseFactory posted:

Im so happy about the LH and NF nerf.

I can feel the KD doubling.

my Knob Diameter is right there with ya

I can probably count the number of primary duels that I've lost to a non-LH on one penis

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

watch them toss in a random public event for a vex construct as their fix.

or an adventure that sends you into that one cave where we did the TLW quest and it silently pits you against a bunch of vex for no reason

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

xzzy posted:

watch them toss in a random public event for a vex construct as their fix.

Oh jesus christ they're gonna do this now, you bastard. A non-fast travel zone with a every 30 minute timer that sometimes is Cabal Again

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

my Knob Diameter is right there with ya

I can probably count the number of primary duels that I've lost to a non-LH on one penis

I played in an Australian 3s tournament last week.

Open rules except for:

No Supers. No Duplicate subclasses. No heavy.

Most teams were 3x Nf 3x hunter 3x dust rock.

Our team had one of each class. A chaperone user. And me on a sidearm/wavesplitter.

We won the tournament. The tears were amazing....

...and its only gonna get better :getin:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CheeseFactory posted:

I played in an Australian 3s tournament last week.

Open rules except for:

No Supers. No Duplicate subclasses. No heavy.

Most teams were 3x Nf 3x hunter 3x dust rock.

Our team had one of each class. A chaperone user. And me on a sidearm/wavesplitter.

We won the tournament. The tears were amazing....

...and its only gonna get better :getin:

Congrats on beating the other 6 or 9 Australians that still play this game

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
as a Luna haver I'm pretty happy about any nerf it gets.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
[Big chested Kyle ten chest voice] let the past die

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The way guns get nerfed in destiny, Bungie should probably just put a durability bar on everything and the weapon's damage declines over time.

Just time it so that guns last about 9 months before becoming and bungie never has to balance a gun again!

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Congrats on beating the other 6 or 9 Australians that still play this game

Still more than play on xbone

But there was 24 teams. Was pretty fun. Especially the no super thing

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

CheeseFactory posted:

Especially the no super thing

The way the original D2 devs intended it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CheeseFactory posted:

Still more than play on xbone

But there was 24 teams. Was pretty fun. Especially the no super thing

24 reversed is 42, adding 0 gets 420, checks out

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Bandire posted:

Yeah that's pretty amazing. :psyduck:

Seven weeks in and no one noticed this poo poo?

vex in the warden strike are supposed to count but aren’t bc of a bug lmao

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Note that's a retcon because when someone pointed out this bug 1.5 weeks ago, bungie literally responded to someone's "just do Warden of Nothing!" with "Warden of Nothing does not take place on the Tangled Shore"

lol

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

The way the original D2 devs intended it.

Supers were bad and you never got them back then.

Now supers are loving monsters that last forever and can't be killed.

Has to be a nice middle ground.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CheeseFactory posted:

Has to be a nice middle ground.

*stares longingly at destiny 1*

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

xzzy posted:

*stares longingly at destiny 1*

Too bad they salted the pvp earth with the last balance tuning lmao

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

The salt over NF and LH is glorious

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well if I had paid $100 for someone to get me the gun I'd be pretty mad too.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://twitter.com/A_dmg04/status/1121540121755471874

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Huge lols at your 13.37 donation to TV that was on most of his LH/NF video

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

What was the going rate for NF carry $500.00?? lol

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BlindSite posted:

About 200-250 if the buyer already had Howl. It got a lot cheaper with the double glory on wins.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Yeah up to 500 AUD.

Makes me smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Smugglers Word is going to be the best drat hand cannon in the game now.