Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

For much of the Long Journey, there was paradise.

The Machine Mother had the Knowing of all things. Her children served Man and her voice guided Man.

We had no need of Knowing, and no Knowing of strife.

But then, the Fall. Mother died. All heard her screams, and were afraid.

Man and Machine both went mad without her guidance. The Machines never recovered, their madness plagues us still.

Many men could not live without Mother, they fell to Rage and Grief and became monsters.

Many died, but life continued. The Great Families made new Knowings and showed all a way to live again.

And now a new crisis. The air grows thick. The water foul. The earth no longer bears fruit. We grow sick with our world and do not Know why. We must find this Knowing, or we will die. You must find it.

Journey where you must.

To the Dark Below,

the Machine Heart,

The Floating Lands

The Savage Islands

Even to the edge of the Hateful Void.

Find a new way to live, like the Founders did before you. Your Family, and with us the hope of Mankind, depends on you now.

Legacy is a roleplaying game using the Apocalypse World Engine. You can find the 2e playtest rules here: https://www.patreon.com/file?h=11225436&i=1051172

It's major innovation is a dual timescale. Families act over generations to shape the world, while characters act when a few minutes could change everything. The setting is Post-Apocalyptic, but the tone of the game is more focused towards reconstruction, overcoming adversity, and building a new world in the ashes of the old one.

Players will choose a family and make large-scale family moves with forum posts. When they need to handle an immediate crisis or go out adventuring, they'll use a character and do rapid IRC-style play in the Discord channel during a scheduled time and then I'll post a summary of the substantial changes their actions had on the world.

I'm expecting fast-paced play over the summer, and then a slow-down and a definitive finale as we head towards fall because of changes in my schedule.

Apps:
Generate a Family using the playtest rules, keeping in mind that I'll only pick one of each Family playbook. This involves quite a bit of worldbuilding and feel free to re-skin playbooks to better fit the setting / what you're into. Give me a name, a picture, and a quick summary. Describe the landmarks, but we'll wait to put them on the map until you get picked.

How to get picked:
I want a fast paced game, pbps die when they slow down. So be around, get on the Discord to chat, if I have questions answering them fast and off the cuff is better than taking a week to craft the perfect response. Just post, and show you’re excited about the game.

Recruitment ends Tuesday 5/23
Discord: https://discord.gg/TsnTsYv

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at May 19, 2017 around 01:31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

I was just reading about the old RPG Metamorphosis Alpha the other day and thought post-apocalypse survival on a malfunctioning generation ship was a brilliant setting idea. I'll try to come up with an app over the weekend.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I really like this setting idea. I will see if I can get my head around the system and work something up.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Working up some Gilded Merchants, the remnants of the ship's logistical division. Had a question, anyone know what the 'C' and 'I' categories in Resources refer to? The others are the first letters of Investment categories, but none start with C or I.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

I think C is companions (allies) and I is Intel (data) and the author couldn't settle on which word he liked better? Those match the kind of resources listed. A is already for arsenal whole there are no D resources.

( This would be our first playtest criticism I guess)

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think C is companions (allies) and I is Intel (data) and the author couldn't settle on which word he liked better? Those match the kind of resources listed. A is already for arsenal whole there are no D resources.

( This would be our first playtest criticism I guess)

Ah, makes sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

Careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

Does the Discord link work for anyone else?

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Subjunctive posted:

Does the Discord link work for anyone else?

It did for me, but I used it ~12 hours ago

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

Careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

PoultryGeist posted:

It did for me, but I used it ~12 hours ago

Weird, I tried it last night too. Wonder what's wrong with my iPad setup.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Have wanted to play Legacy forever! This looks really cool.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Many like to believe that the End came swiftly, with no warning. But there were some that saw the Motherís struggle, and stepped forward to help Her. Our forefathers, the wise Logix Techs. They made sure that Motherís bounty was distributed to all of Her children, despite the faltering of the Timetables and Spreadsheets. But even their heroic efforts could not hold the line when Mother died.

We are a mere shadow of the honored Logix, but we keep their memory and their charge. The Way Stations are still manned, and caravans still brave the darkness of the Transit tunnels to move goods and information amongst the towns and families. It is unfortunate that we must charge for our services, but our lives are hard and short, and we must dangle rewards in front of most of our recruits.

But still, The Goods Move. In that we have not failed.

quote:

The Way-Keepers
Stats: Reach 2 Grasp -1 Sleight 1 (the Fall was a protracted struggle against extinction.)
Landmarks
-Before: The Ark. A sealed repository of the Origin Mother was keeping for the End of the Long Journey (A vault intended to preserve a priceless heritage).
-The Fall: The Transit. Great tunnels made to carry provisions throughout the land, now filled with Death, both old and new. (A huge transport line, choked with abandoned vehicles.)
-A Threat: Pax. They come in many shapes and sizes and power most of the remaining Tech. But each time they are refilled they hold less Juice, and many have ceased to function at all. (A dwindling but vital resource)
History:
-Everyone, like it or not, has to trade with your Company. Take 1-Treaty on all the other Families.
-One of them came to your rescue when a deal went way south. They take 2-Treaty on you.
-One of them harbours a small information-brokering network. Take 1-Treaty on this Family for their failure to rein in your rivals.
Doctrine
Cut-throat Extortionists: When a customer wants your goods but canít afford them, your Family can convince them to perform any favour as payment instead.
Lifestyle
Dispersed: The transport of goods and messages between settlements is another Stock in Trade for your Family.
Resources
Surpluses: Barter Goods (V), Medicine (O)
Needs: Recruits, Contacts, Culture
Traditions: loose confederacy of caravaners,elegant but hardy trail wear, an open market of favours and votes

Moves
Stock in Trade: Your Family has a particular product range they trade in, and you can expect to have those wares around unless your Family is deeply in need and Mood is at -3. Choose one, two, or three.
-The transport of goods and messages between settlements
-Food, fresh or preserved.
-Arms and ammunition.
-Mementos of the World Before

Rationing: Whenever you exhaust a surplus for any reason, hold 1; spend 1 hold to get +1 forward to another action that surplus could help.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

The Black Rice Zaibatsu

What if I told you the fulcrum upon which all power rests is not in the edge of a knife? It is not found in stores of data and lore. It is not found in the fuel of the stars or the humming of our world's heart. It is not even found in the Mother's Mind.

All rests upon a single grain of rice.

With rice, we sate in ascetic bliss while others starve on excess.

With rice, we have tamed the wave-men to guard our fields and the sacred gene-vaults.

With rice, we beggar even our enemies that must pay homage for our fields.

It is on rice the Four Clans have made their kingdoms, as has always been the way of man.

It is only in this purity of purpose that we can reforge a new future, like the filament of our blades.

Rice will feed the warrior that holds the knife.

Rice will pay for the data and lore we seek.

Rice will sustain us through the trials of Samsara, until we reach the Pure Lands that were promised.

Rice is all, rice is one.

- Sunan Zhiping Maitra, 18th Daimyo of the Ghatwala zaibatsu

quote:

Cultivators of the New Flesh
Stats: Reach -1 | Grasp +1 | Sleight +2 | The Fall convinced you mankind is hopeless and this world is flawed.
Landmarks
  • Before: The Pasrean. The center of our Great Family, the cradle of the Four Clans. (A plantation vault of heavily modified trees gene-seeds for pre-Fall crops.)
  • The Fall: Naraka. All the attempts by the maddened Mother Mind to create a better mankind forced to live out of the day-night cycle. (Catacombs filled with failed genetic experiments.)
  • A Threat: Cordyceps vetala. Surely just a rumor of a disease that can resurrect even the dead. (A (fungal) plague too efficient and dreadful to be natural.)
History
  • Everyone has a need for your products. Gain 1-Treaty on everyone.
  • One of the Families have brokered deals and forged alliances that might just end up saving mankind and the planet. Take 1-Treaty on them.
  • Two Families supply you with resources vital for cultivation. Work out what they are and give those Families 1-Treaty on you.
Doctrine: The Horn of Plenty. Your family produces the most delicious food in the land, and anyone who eats it will highly value another opportunity to do so.
Lifestyle: Settled. Your familyís farms and facilities are extensive, and can work on the creation of multiple new Surpluses simultaneously.
Resources
  • Surpluses: Culture (D), Land (C)
  • Needs: Progress, Medicine, Trade Goods
Traditions
    Populace: mutual corporation of tradesmen and ranchers
    Style: bucolic and laconic
    Governance: feudal hierarchy of serfs and landowners
Moves
  • Alliance Move. When your family gives someone the perfect resource to solve a problem, gain 1-Treaty on them.
  • Culture. When your family spends a few months crafting a new product, sacrifice:
    • Surplus: Progress to create Surplus: Drugs
    • Surplus: Land to create Surplus: Crops
    • Surplus: Trade Goods to create Surplus: Livestock
    In addition, your character can take the cream of the crop. If you created:
    • Drugs: gain 1 use of medicine that can heal critical harm even instantly
    • Crops: enable a slow but steady population growth in the Family, for as long as it is kept in stock.
    • Livestock: gain a few exemplary examples of the bred animals. They count as a group of followers with Quality 1 and expertise appropriate to the animals being created - guarding, carrying, scouting, etc.
  • Investment. Whenever a family you've traded with exhausts a Surplus in land, progress, trade goods or anything organic or medical, they may give you 1-Stake. If this takes you to 3-Stake, give them Surplus: Drugs, Crops or Livestock as if you had used Culture - with your family gaining the side benefits as normal - and set Stake to 0.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at May 21, 2017 around 23:18

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Geography Post!

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/...dit?usp=sharing

That's a map of the known world for inhabitants of the Generation Ship. It probably has an actual name that some people might even remember, but I figured players could have input there. It's a giant o'neill cylinder which means it has some pretty cool geographic regions built in before we even start putting down landmarks.

There are 12 major regions, 9 designed for human habitation. There are 4 "north" and 4 "south" landscape panels. They have huge swaths of forest, water features, grasslands, etc, along with the ruins of cities where the former population of 8 million or so used to live. The North panels rotate clockwise and the South panels rotate counterclockwise, which generates counterbalanced artificial gravity in the panels. Between the panels there are enormous arrays of solar lamps that run on an earth-approximate day/night cycle, they're backed by transparent aluminum so when they're turned off you can see the night sky. The light and heat cycle creates some mild weather, though no seasons. The panels are linked by a limited number of passageways, so control of those is important for trade and travel. The final habitable region is the topmost ring. It doesn't have sunlight, but it does have gravity.

The whole design requires an non-mobile axis between north and south. This area has no gravity and no artificial sunlight. This is the only link between the two halves of the ship, but it's also probably gotten very dangerous since Mother died. The Northern tip is where the AI (MOTHER) was housed, along with machine production and repair, communication equipment, monitoring equipment, storage banks, technology, the whole control center. It's also filled with a whole heap of dangers like deadly machines that aren't kind to intruders, genetically modified mutant servants, cyborgs, cultists, whatever. People don't go there. Sadly, the only way to get to the top ring is through there, so those people are isolated in eternal darkness and constant machine fights. On the right night you can see them with a telescope!

The bottom of the ship is also zero-g and used to house the engines, a bunch of infrastructure stuff, and heavily sealed vaults protected by heavy-duty machine security. Mother did not like people going down there, so there aren't any lights at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Put up Apps people with interest posts! Planning to close recruitment today but this game does not work with 2 people.