Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Let's open with a note that my vinyl order of This is Cave Music and Red Sky came in. The former is spinning up on a linear tracking turntable with fresh stylus right now and

Listen along with No. 6

That established, I just got back from my favorite gun shop:

Beardless is still my studly hero for sending this pony shoe knife

Boring compensated 9 millimeter.

9x17mm, that is!

But a superior caliber isn't enough to make this vestigial compensator-ed pistol fully bitchin'. Let's pop the grips and take a peak inside:

The long bar is the magazine disconnect safety. It blocks the sear when the magwell is empty. The leetle spring is for the mag catch. Don't lose either. Or let the spring pop out of position and bend it when clamping the grip back on, find the mag release dead, curse softly, take it back apart, and put it together properly.

gently caress you.

The lower interior of the right grip has a little spring to keep pressure on the base of the mag disconnect bar.

Fell free to "lose" a piece when reinstalling the grip.

Now to increase the potential of wee roscoe:

Stow the eight-round mag for these here tenners. Well, these spare tenners as it also shipped with a ten-rounder in the box.

Bob Ross (peace be upon him) would describe their tight fit in my kydex 3895 mag. pouch as "a happy little accident."

Now to red, white, and blue the Hi-Point as a proper patriot does:

poo poo, wrong package. Toy accordions are fun on a bun, though.

Awwwww yeah.

Okay, now it's ready for the sandpit after tomorrow's short shift and see if it runs.

Does the compensator work? It's on a 9mm Corto so gently caress no. E: It does vent a fair bit of gas with my handloads so it's doing something. Also looks neat and is a muzzle weight.

Last round hold open works, at least.

TL/DR: Red Sky is also a great album.

And the next couple posts will be reserved for comparisons, range reports, and the kydex I'm going to roll for this portly little son of a whore.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at May 21, 2017 around 19:57

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Reserved for technical bullshit.

Ever wondered how the CF 380 COMP compares to a forty caliber HK USP compact? No? Well, you're going to learn, anyway!

Loaded Weights:

LCP (6+1) with 95 grain ammo - 12 ounces

Glock 42 (6+1) with 95 grain ammo - 16 ounces

Sig P238 (6+1) with 95 grain boolits - 16 ounces

40 caliber Shield (6+1) with 180 grain HST - 24 ounces

Beretta PX4 compact (12+1) with 180 grainers - 34 ounces

HK USP compact with (12+1) with 180 grainers - 35 ounces

CF 380 COMP (10+1) with 95 grainers - 41 ounces

Beretta 92 Elite (18+1) with 124 grainers - 41.5 ounces

With 92 Elite and Glock 42:

Running round count: 338 (A bit more but rounding down)

Failures: One failure to eject a Liberty Civil Defense. I'm not actually going to blame that on the gun rather than the gimmick load, but clearing the failure pointed out a problem, see notes. The 10-round magazines are junk, also mentioned in the notes.

Bobbles: Top round in one mag hung up the slide. Rap on the rear knocked it into battery. Have noticed this as common in new Hi-Point mags. Ten-round mags don't activate last round hold open nor do they drop free.

Notes: My hands require curled thumbs to avoid slide bite. With weak loads, the slide cycle is sluggish and it is a pistol that could slow you down. Sights are actually pretty visible and decently proportioned if not made of confidence inspiring material. Very gentle but comically long-duration recoil impulse. The extractor not hopping case rims when trying to close the slide on an already chambered round makes clearance of a failure to eject a show-stopper. You have to depress the rear of the extractor to lever it out enough while closing the slide to get it to hop the rim and then crank the slide back to try clearing the stuck case. Or lock the slide back and pry the case out with a knife, cut nail (if you're ninety and still one of the people that always keep one tucked in their back pocket kerchief), or other similar rigid tool. The 10-round mags suck and are a constant source of failures, do not buy unless you have patience to tweak them or get them serviced and then reserve them as pure range mags.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at Jun 4, 2017 around 22:58

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Going to have to deburr the edges of the racing stripe before hitting the range. They were left sharp and are trying to slice my fingers when manipulating the slide. Don't want to get blood on my grips. Then they'd just be red, red, and blue.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's as tall (with the pinkie extension 8-rounder) and long (to the face of the slides, longer with the compensator) as my USP compact.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mortabis posted:

...trabant.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

gently caress

It's actually really fun and I like it. The ten-round mags all doublefeed and need to be sent back to MoM. The eight-rounder runs like a top and I will order a few more. Recoil isn't so much recoil as feeling the slide hit its rearward travel and bump back into battery. Everyone agreed that describing it as bubbly was most appropriate. Even PDX1 was tamed just dandy. Also noticed that it can only feed rounds from a magazine. You can't drop a cartridge in the chamber and drop the slide as the extractor won't hop the rim.

As for the compensator, it kinda works. I put masking tape over the ports to see if it was even venting enough gas to do anything. My vision went confetti on the first shot. My use of Unique for powder may be a contributing factor. I would not buy the standard CF 380, however.

Anyway, no one complained about the trigger, all found the safety easy to use, and everyone enjoyed shooting it. One buddy now wants a Hi-Point pistol and cursed me for it. We only crudely got the sights on steel so it needs a range trip to properly regulate and see if it can group. Which I'm genuinely looking forward to.

I expected to merely accept this gun's existence and proceed to rarely shoot it and keep it as a holster mold for the C9, C9 COMP, CF 380, and CF 380 COMP. I had actually only bought it as a holster mold with side personal challenge to see if the pistols were as bad as I said they were. But it cost $171.26 after transfer and is plenty of fun for the money. gently caress alls of yours opinions.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Filing receipts, I was incorrect about the price. The CF 380 COMP ran me $167.00 total after transfer.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's as long as and only one half ounce lighter than a Beretta 92 Elite! Taller or shorter than the Italian depending on mag selected, however.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My wife just did some dryfire with the potmetal bouncehouse and PX4 compact. She liked the Hi-Point more.

Hates her a double-action trigger but I love her despite such character faults. Also dislikes aggressive grip texturing. And slide safeties. Opposites really do attract!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A poster got a bit trenchant with me on HPFF when I mentioned the double-feeds. We had a brief slap fight about letting the mags break in before commenting on their function. In the spirit of fair play, I left the 10-round mags loaded for a few days, unloaded them, fully compressed and released the followers with a tongue depressor 24 times each, reloaded them and hit the range. One still spewed rounds. Looks like the spring breaking in and weakening might be enough to keep from pushing cartridges through the feed lips in the long term. Not an elegant or proper solution but if it works, I can live with it on a range toy. Will end up closing the feed lips a bit, though. I had quickly tweaked them a hair in one that then ran best of the three. I would still suggest the eight-round mags for anyone wanting a suggestion for the most likely reliable mags.

Was also getting failures to eject with my handloads. They are powder puffs that won't reliably run in my Glock 42 and fail similarly in the Austrian in cold weather as the lube thickens up. Going to buy some factory ammo before I say anything definitive about the issue, though. I predict it will run fine with full power ammo. If so, I'll bump up my powder charge a hair.

I continue to like the sights and it hits as well out to 25 yards as the Beretta PX4 compact we were also shooting. The trigger has started breaking in to almost be smooth enough to run like a short double-action which is nice and has also lightened up a bit. The safety was even more intuitive this second day out. I really, really enjoy shooting this gun.

Shooting log updated in the second post.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The ten-round .380/9mm pistol magazines are pretty universally regarded as the single worst thing Hi-Point makes and I've even seen reference to employees admitting it. I'm certainly glad they took the time to design devoted mags for the .380 carbine because that hilarious thing runs like a top.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Not reliably in the .380 or 9mm.

The forty and forty-five caliber pistols use the same magazines as the carbines, however. The large bore pistols are also regarded as the most reliable Hi-Point handguns which I can believe just from my experience with mag. design.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Having a kydex workbench in the house may just serve to enable my baser impulses:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Not a chance in hell am I paying for the material to make that:

https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/prod...oducts_id=12013

The day I finally break down and score a S&W 4566, however.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

No and no but I wish I did because that would be the hottest of messes.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I left my wife unattended while the OWB was on my workbench:

Anyway, just put another 75+ rounds through the gun. Was sharing 156 rounds with another guy and his gun so didn't keep perfect track beyond more than half going through the Hi-Point.

The extractor proved to make clearing a FTE problematic as updated in the second post. Factory ammo ran fine save a failure to extract with Liberty which I'm not blaming on any pistol. I had one more weirdo failure to eject with my handloads so those will be adjusted. One of the three 10-round mags took to my tuneup and runs fine with bonus occasional last round hold open activation. One of the extended mags still pukes rounds and will be going back to MoM. The third fails to feed about a third of the way down the mag and will also be sent for warranty service.

The 8-round mag failed to lock the slide on the last shot once but may have been me dragging a thumb on the slide as I did catch myself trying to shoot thumbs-forward at one point. No failures while I did some positional shooting and bracing against a couple barricades. I still really like this gun and haven't found a quirk I can't deal with at it's price point and with its warranty. gently caress the 10-round mags, though. I'd like to see Hi-Point adjust the design or pull them from production. There is a good warranty on cheap gear and then there is a support product almost certain to need it.

The sights were flat-out awesome in today's light rain and heavy overcast, by the way. And I don't even notice the trigger while shooting, anymore. I'll call it adequate though triggers are quite variable from unit to unit. Also, this thing has kydex dust in every crevice from fitting a couple holsters that seems not to bother anything.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Eighty-eight more rounds downrange, today. No failures with Winchester White Box or Federal Hydra-Shok in either the 8 or 10-round (marked III) mag. One bobble each for my wife and daughter using my powderpuff handloads. All failures to date have been attributable to the total poo poo 10-round mags and my too weak handloads that don't run a lot of other guns. Watching the kids and wife shoot, muzzle rise is very low. Switching to my Glock 42, itself a notable soft shooter, felt pretty thumpy by comparison. The Glock also has a much heavier trigger.

My son loved the "flag gun", wife really liked it, daughter was too small for the grip and said she'd have liked it if it fit but no for now. Like the 3895 TS, I have yet to hand this derpy thing to anyone and have them dislike it. I don't know what the hell.

Anyway, the sights are holding zero so far despite my initial concerns. I even walked a hit onto a two-liter of dyed water at fifty yards. The safety has yet to present a problem and I'm going to have to say that I like its profile and placement. Oh, the 10-round mag I tweaked to run well enough as a range unit has started dropping free.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm as fast with the CF 380 COMP as my USP compact on first shot on target from AIWB once warmed up. A little slower cold but only because I haven't spent enough time with the pig to have the safety and revolver grip on autopilot. Despite the safety and longer barrel, I'm amazed the two are comparable.

It also makes me drop first shots with the HK if I run the German thing second. Sights on the Hi-Point are set for a dead center hold and highly visible. The USP drives the dot and is less visible with the white dot so I try to center hold with the top of the sight for a couple reps before I get the correct sight picture back online.

Oh, my splits are faster with the 'Murkin wonder. But it's a heavy-rear end 380 ACP with compensator, lighter/shorter trigger, and doesn't rock my steel plates as hard. The Short & Weak really sets them swinging with my current stand and part of the time difference is spent getting a bead on the bucking steel. The USPc is still slower on paper but a by a more reasonable amount.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I just clicked this and the auction had ended minutes prior. I am only saved from a complete tantrum by the knowledge that my wife would have ripped me a new rear end in a top hat for spending the money.

Edit: Just showed the closed auction to my wife and started shouting profanities at the ceiling when she replied that it'd have been okayed.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at Jun 12, 2017 around 02:21

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Me IRL right now:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/Lb7XKOeXANM

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The design by committee protocols were also awesome.

And Robocop casually walking into the corporate press conference with a fifty cal.

The chain muggings at the beginning were also great.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hot drat, a 9mm Hi-Point pistol with hard case and Kershaw Scallion for $99 shipped:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HI-P...=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

Hi-Point sells that knife for $39 on their webstore. So you effectively get a fully warrantied handgun and serviceable case for $60+transfer fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Oh hey, someone makes an aftermarket rear sight:

http://www.mahansights.com/

If the factory rear gives me any trouble, I'll have to remember this.

• Locked thread