Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Ok the title is SOMEWHAT hyperbolic. The full CG movie is out now on netflix, subbed and dubbed. I was a bit disappointed in what arc they chose to focus on, though I guess having all the human characters makes it more relatable. Unless I'm misremembering the plot, they also altered that a bit as well. Aside from when characters were moving it looked pretty nice and the action was well choreographed imho. The manga's also being printed again by Vertical.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do not like anime but Blame! is my favourite thing and I thought the movie was pretty good. It suffers from japanese voice acting with all it's ridiculous gasping and focus on teen emotions, but I think they made the right choice but just showing a small story from the perspective of some people who crossed paths with Killy. It was a fairly close re-telling of the whole chapter in the book with the electro-fishers, just without Toha heavy industries and Cibo being found here for plot's sake. The only thing that bothered me is that Killy seemed really sleepy, like he was operating at 5% power the whole movie. He's supposed to have pretty much limitless ammo for his gun and can choose the power level at will for the situation, but in the movie it's as if his gun is draining his personal energy so he gets exhausted if he shoots more than a couple times a day. I guess they thought it would add more tension if he wasn't a ridiculous killing machine, but the books managed to have plenty of tense fights with things at stake even with killy being able to stay awake after shooting.

Also how can you have a Blame! movie without any Silicon creatures?? I hope they make more. Will they make more? We deserve more. I want to see silicon creatures, Dhomochevsky. I want to see a fully animated Davine lu Linvega. I want ridiculous fully-powered Killy going all-out.
Also, I think a Noise! movie would be perfect, it's bite sized enough and would be perfect.

I wish he would make more blame-universe comics and stop making trash like Knights of Sidonia, but I guess that's what pays the bills :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baronjutter posted:

Also, I think a Noise! movie would be perfect, it's bite sized enough and would be perfect.
:yeah:

I haven't watched it yet but plan to this weekend if my internet will stop making GBS threads the bed enough for me to stream it. I've been so excited for this and managed to miss that it was finally out so thanks for the heads up!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I went into Blame without knowing anything about it, and I could not have been happier to stumble upon more Nihei stuff I didn't know existed. :allears:

And I started with Sidonia and I still love it overall, but man, I can't say I'm a fan of certain ending developments.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
They did good adapting it to make things fit into the running time.

I especially appreciated Killy's 0 charisma, how quickly things go 0-100, and every time it swerves away from obvious setups.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nihei's plots got worse and weirder as time went on. Biomega is when he sort of went off the rails. There's a fine line between "woah this is really weird and there's so many questions I still have, I want to know more!" and "gently caress they're just making this up as they go along and all this crazy poo poo is just there to distract you from the fact that they couldn't come up with a good ending or a coherent plot"

Read Noise, Blame, Netsphere Engineer, and Blame 2.0 in order and it tells a pretty good story. There's still lots of unanswered questions but they're interesting questions. Biomega is just "uhh it was all a bear's dream or something" and Knights of Sidonia is so almost great but he just had to cash in on all the classic anime trash character tropes (which usually is not his style) and then the end makes you feel like you wasted your time on the whole thing.

I read an interview from him a while ago where he was really happy at finally getting commercial success with Knights because it has much more mainstream appeal and all his earlier work was almost a waste of time in comparison and it sure it good he now knows how to make successful popular things and won't waste his time on stuff like Blame! again. It broke my heart.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

That was an amazing retelling of the manga, and a perfect way to transmogrify it into a 2 hour movie. Loses some of the atmosphere and sense of scale but I found myself not really caring that much, even though those were the two things I like most about Blame. I was never really into the look of any kind of CG animation, but Cibo and Sanakan sold the gently caress out of it, it's the first time where I thought, 'yeah, they couldn't have done this better with traditional animation.' Also is it just me or did they reduce the framerate on everything else in the entire movie just so they could raise it just for those two for effect? Or did their fantastic animation just trick me into thinking that?

I am gushing like a teenage fangirl but I 1000% expected a disjointed and mediocre direct adaptation that tries to rush through the entire manga's plot, but instead got a lovingly crafted reboot/alt universe/whatever that completely stands on its own while keeping much of the key imagery of the original. Every dollar I threw at Netflix over the years was totally worth it if it helped fund this.

Some cons: teenage crush was stupid, and I agree Killy felt pretty off, he just seemed like a robotic/superquiet dude in the manga, here he's a lobotomized samurai, I don't think newcomers to Blame will understand or like his character at all. Sanakan slowly narrating herself was silly but the fact that I was making GBS threads my pants in terror distracted from that effectively

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Baronjutter posted:

Knights of Sidonia is so almost great but he just had to cash in on all the classic anime trash character tropes (which usually is not his style) and then the end makes you feel like you wasted your time on the whole thing.

Knights of Sidonia doing melodramatic romance anime cliches with biomechanical abominations is the best thing about it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Xy Hapu posted:

That was an amazing retelling of the manga, and a perfect way to transmogrify it into a 2 hour movie. Loses some of the atmosphere and sense of scale but I found myself not really caring that much, even though those were the two things I like most about Blame. I was never really into the look of any kind of CG animation, but Cibo and Sanakan sold the gently caress out of it, it's the first time where I thought, 'yeah, they couldn't have done this better with traditional animation.' Also is it just me or did they reduce the framerate on everything else in the entire movie just so they could raise it just for those two for effect? Or did their fantastic animation just trick me into thinking that?

I am gushing like a teenage fangirl but I 1000% expected a disjointed and mediocre direct adaptation that tries to rush through the entire manga's plot, but instead got a lovingly crafted reboot/alt universe/whatever that completely stands on its own while keeping much of the key imagery of the original. Every dollar I threw at Netflix over the years was totally worth it if it helped fund this.

Some cons: teenage crush was stupid, and I agree Killy felt pretty off, he just seemed like a robotic/superquiet dude in the manga, here he's a lobotomized samurai, I don't think newcomers to Blame will understand or like his character at all. Sanakan slowly narrating herself was silly but the fact that I was making GBS threads my pants in terror distracted from that effectively
This basically. Unless we get a reclusive crazy billionaire with infinite money to make a studio to hand-draw the entire series, losing millions of dollars, this is Good Enough, Maybe Even Pretty Great.

I'm curious what people who never read the comic thought. I definitely imagined Killy as sounding much older, the JP VA and voice direction didn't do much for me and made him sound like a moody teen.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 20, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baronjutter posted:

I read an interview from him a while ago where he was really happy at finally getting commercial success with Knights because it has much more mainstream appeal and all his earlier work was almost a waste of time in comparison and it sure it good he now knows how to make successful popular things and won't waste his time on stuff like Blame! again. It broke my heart.

noooo

also I really want to see Biomega animated, I love it and would love to see the reactions from people who aren't familiar with it when it gets really weird haha

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pierson posted:

This basically. Unless we get a reclusive crazy billionaire with infinite money to make a studio to hand-draw the entire series, losing millions of dollars, this is Good Enough, Maybe Even Pretty Great.

I'm curious what people who never read the comic thought. I definitely imagined Killy as sounding much older, the JP VA and voice direction didn't do much for me and made him sound like a moody teen.

Well i just started (i'm a half-hour in) and i fuckin love it so far. Enough that i'm all excited and had to pause to look at the manga on amazon. So, the question is: is digital good enough, or do i spring (and find shelfspace) for the physical volumes?

Basically is it good enough to sit on the same shelf as Nausicaa, Akira, and GitS? Even at 10 volumes. (edit: those just happen to be the large format manga titles i have. There's lots of more normally sized stuff too)

edit again: o hi Kana Hanazawa

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 21, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
heck yeah it is. given those examples you probably like drawings of huge, elaborate scenery and that is probably the best part of blame.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Has Nihei just not done anything since Sidonia? It ended well over a year ago.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Without really meaning to i've been leaning away from dark or gritty science fiction manga and anime for awhile now, but this pretty much rocked my world. So, thanks for making the thread i might not otherwise have watched it so soon. I loved how much it had that great Sergio Leone inspired Man With No Name thing going on where he just shows up, says like 10 words, changes everything and then continues on.

Now i'm going to buy the first volume of the manga, because i want to read the hell out of it in a lot more detail.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Sindai posted:

Has Nihei just not done anything since Sidonia? It ended well over a year ago.
he's doing a series called aposimz monthly that was licensed immediately (and releases on comixology) so no one talks about it :I it has similar plot elements to his previous works and i personally feel lukewarm toward it so far (4 chapters)

my pet theory is the bad ending to sidonia turned people off of him

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fuckit, ordered all three that are currently out. :homebrew:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Relin posted:

he's doing a series called aposimz monthly that was licensed immediately (and releases on comixology) so no one talks about it :I
drat it amazon

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Blame! manga is really good but don't judge it too much from the first book, he's still refining his art style and storytelling then. It's a fantastic series though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I enjoyed this movie. The CG was good. I've forgotten basically everything about the manga though, since I haven't read it in years. I need to do a reread at some point.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Baronjutter posted:

The Blame! manga is really good but don't judge it too much from the first book, he's still refining his art style and storytelling then. It's a fantastic series though.

It's probably my favorite manga. The setting, the atmosphere, the characters, I love all of it. The ending is incredibly depressing though.

I've started buying the kindle version of the manga as I hate moving books and I can zoom in on pages.

The movie captured the feeling of the manga, although it was a little strange to mix and match characters and story arcs together. It still ending up working well.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The movie stands well on it's own even if you never read a single page of the manga.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hamelekim posted:

It's probably my favorite manga. The setting, the atmosphere, the characters, I love all of it. The ending is incredibly depressing though.

How so?

While a few of the characters do die, by and large all of 'humanity' in it's various forms is saved. As we see in the sequel, even the silicon lifeforms even find a place eventually.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hamelekim posted:

I've started buying the kindle version of the manga as I hate moving books and I can zoom in on pages.

The movie captured the feeling of the manga, although it was a little strange to mix and match characters and story arcs together. It still ending up working well.

The ending seems hopeful, he did it. Netsphere Engineer and Blame 2.0 show that he was successful in his mission, it's just going to take hundreds or thousands of years for things to sort them selves out.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mulva posted:

How so?

While a few of the characters do die, by and large all of 'humanity' in it's various forms is saved. As we see in the sequel, even the silicon lifeforms even find a place eventually.

The 10 volume manga ends on a sad note. There is some faint hope, but it is not certain.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I like how the abstract and minimalist nature of the storytelling at times can cause people to get wildly different feelings from the same events. It's certainly a bit sad because of what was lost, but I always found it a bit triumphant.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
To be honest, when I read Blame! I completely lost the track of the narrative by the end and just had no idea what was going on.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Sweet, I didn't know this was coming out on Netflix. Gonna watch it later.

Baronjutter posted:

Nihei's plots got worse and weirder as time went on. Biomega is when he sort of went off the rails. There's a fine line between "woah this is really weird and there's so many questions I still have, I want to know more!" and "gently caress they're just making this up as they go along and all this crazy poo poo is just there to distract you from the fact that they couldn't come up with a good ending or a coherent plot"
If you want the strangeness with a more coherent plot than Biomega, I feel like Dorohedoro is your best bet. The series is focused on magical bullshit instead of cybernetic bullshit though. Pretty sure it's drawn by one of Nihei's former assistants too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I don't think Dorohedoro has finished yet and if you enjoy reading what has been made so far you will be itching for more. We're in the last arc or close to it. I'm still waiting to hear someone announce that the final chapter is out and that it is awesome so I can read it all in a single go.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like my weird poo poo to be entirely naturalistic. Magic and supernatural stuff is unrealistic. Teleporting around and summoning monsters because *ancient technology* is totally good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be honest, when I read Blame! I completely lost the track of the narrative by the end and just had no idea what was going on.
Same, but for everything he wrote until Sidonia. I'm pretty sure that's the real reason it's his most popular work.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blame! is worth reading a few times, there's a coherent story in there it's just not spoon fed with tons of exposition.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Biomega feels like his first attempt at Sidonia and more regular-style plotting. The entire thing read fine until the back third when he just sped up until the end and everything happened so fast. It felt like Zouichi and Nishu should have spent a lot more time on the transformed earth teasing out what Nyaldee was up to, with Hiigarde and Kardal doing the same thing from the opposite 'side'. Instead we got what we got and the entire thing felt rushed and wasted. Dunno whether it was forced or not though.

It also had just a ton of cool poo poo like the bikes and their AI and the weird shrike bird-machines, and the post-earth societies they touched on in random chapters.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 22, 2017

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
This movie was kickass. I'm glad they kept silicon creatures out of it, the Authority was plenty creepy on its own and would have confused first timers.

Here's hoping for a sequel.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

a kitten posted:

Well i just started (i'm a half-hour in) and i fuckin love it so far. Enough that i'm all excited and had to pause to look at the manga on amazon. So, the question is: is digital good enough, or do i spring (and find shelfspace) for the physical volumes?

Basically is it good enough to sit on the same shelf as Nausicaa, Akira, and GitS? Even at 10 volumes. (edit: those just happen to be the large format manga titles i have. There's lots of more normally sized stuff too)

edit again: o hi Kana Hanazawa

The new master editions are great. Totally worth it for me. Especially since every reread makes the story much less confusing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

This movie was kickass. I'm glad they kept silicon creatures out of it, the Authority was plenty creepy on its own and would have confused first timers.

Here's hoping for a sequel.

Cibo's new-built body was almost identical to the body of one of the silicon creatures early in the books, right down to the white arm. Would love a sequel and agree it would probably be too much to fit in a 4th faction. You've got random humans just trying to survive, you've got killy who's some sort of special safeguard sort of working for the governing authority, you have safeguard who are supposed to be part of the governing authority but are out of control doing their own thing, then on top of all that have Silicon creatures, cyborgs who hacked the netsphere to get lovely safeguard-tech bodies and are thriving in the chaos of the city and don't want humans to ever find net-terminal genes and want them for them selves to download higher level tech for them selves.

I'm glad they kept all the iconography for the factions in the movie.
Governing Agency:

Safeguard:

And Silicon Life in general seems to have an eye symbol show up a lot

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 23, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Why did Vol. 3 show up first?! :arghfist::mad:amazon:arghfist::mad:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Silicon creatures are cyborgs? Aren't cyborgs modified humans?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think they're humans reconstructed at a nano level to be sort of bio-organic robot horrors.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Yeah, they're a specific faction/culture of cyborgs that universally deploys as much stolen Safeguard tech as they can. There's other cyborgs around, but they generally don't have access to The Good poo poo, and they don't make it their way of life. Bioelectric has accessed and reverse-engineered a lot of The Good poo poo, but hoard and centralize it instead of putting it on EVERYONE the way Silicon Creatures do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

There are cyborgs AND silicon creatures in Blame. and androids.

• Locked thread