Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
There was a somewhat abstract BLAME! net animation from a while back where the elevator woman identifies herself as Cibo, and I quite like the interpretation that the whole thing was a look at Killy's damaged and fragmented memories, where in an effort to hold onto significant information he's been mashing similar things together, so all significant women allies in the past have been merged into his internal concept of Cibo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

killy has been traveling for so long that he probably had a bunch of companions over the years.

I can't help but think of him like some kind of depressed cyborg Dr Who, who hangs around with people before having to replace his body for the umpteenth time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Noise posted:

There was a somewhat abstract BLAME! net animation from a while back where the elevator woman identifies herself as Cibo, and I quite like the interpretation that the whole thing was a look at Killy's damaged and fragmented memories, where in an effort to hold onto significant information he's been mashing similar things together, so all significant women allies in the past have been merged into his internal concept of Cibo.

Don't make me re-read blame with the idea that it's told with an unreliable narrator.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Don't make me re-read blame with the idea that it's told with an unreliable narrator.

Killy is a broken robot who only remembers but and pieces of what he's supposed to be doing and even forgot how to read his hud.

Of course it's an unreliable narrator!

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

A good number of Blame! movie concept art, production shots, CG models, etc.

Winking Sanakan is doubleplus ungood

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hah, that's a really sharp nose. I wonder if they modeled it like that because that's how they thought the character would look, or because it would help the shadows it created look "anime".

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Knights of Sidonia doing melodramatic romance anime cliches with biomechanical abominations is the best thing about it.

Just lol if you can't enjoy this

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wR8yy-vn1M
Such a good soundtrack

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So his latest comic sounds promising. It sounds a lot like blame but on the surface of some huge icey dyson sphere rather than inside?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:retrogames:

https://twitter.com/comiXology/status/872171485632311298

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

Just lol if you can't enjoy this

I can't.

Because it has no Izana, Yuhata, or En/Ren. :colbert:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

:allears:

I could never figure out why Nihei likes inserting bears into all his works, and then I realized it's just because they are the creepiest of animals and play well with his whole body horror thing.

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 7, 2017

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I just finished watching this amazing movie, and it pushed me to read the manga.

Could someone please explain what happens in like, everything after they meet Dhomochevsky.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MachuPikacchu posted:

I just finished watching this amazing movie, and it pushed me to read the manga.

Could someone please explain what happens in like, everything after they meet Dhomochevsky.

It's the answer of how babby is formed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

MachuPikacchu posted:

Huge spoilers obviously:

The level of the megastructure that arc takes place on was still under construction with its links to the Netsphere not as secure or finished, and so either didn't need or only needed an artificial/incomplete Net Terminal Gene for login priviledges. Davinel, Pcell and his Silicon Life crew take that opportunity to hijack it, closing off the entire level from the Safeguard so they could work on hacking in and looting the Safeguard tech undisturbed. The Safeguard noticed too late (or couldn't do anything about it) and so create Dhomo and his lil' ghost buddy as their last act before they get entirely locked out.

INFINITE TIME PASSES

Killy and Cibo arrive, along with an incomplete net terminal gene given to them in an earlier arc, and kick everything into high gear. The weird stalemate/detente between Dhomo and Davinel is broken and massive sweet-as-gently caress fights are had. Schiff (super-fast knifeman) is taken out by Killy, Blom (huge fat laughing guy) gets shot, crushed and generally blown to gently caress, and even Pcell (who appears to be rocking some kind of gravitational weapon herself as well as a sweet get-out-of-jail-free nano-swarm form) gets dunked on pretty hard. The gene eventually gets taken by Davinel who uses it to finally get a valid Netsphere login. The final fight takes place with Killy, Dhomo and Cibo all gunning for Davinel hard. A whole bunch of stuff happens at once, very fast:

Davinel gets his login and meets with some kind of Safeguard script he's apparently talked with before, they jaw a bit. It knows he wants in to steal but since he has the auth codes it can't really stop him. He's really smug about it.
Dhomo and Killy get distracted/ambushed by Pcell and they score mutual hits on each other. She goes down hard and they get pretty messed-up as well.
The Safeguard login guard distracts a very smug Davinel enough so that he doesn't notice his connection is throttled. So much so that time has slowed down for Davinel immensely while he's logging on, giving Dhomo time to headshot him.
Cibo is unfortunately connected to the same login session as Davinel and the feedback gibs her.
As his last act Davinel manages to swipe some incredibly high-level Safeguard tech and downloads it into the last receptacle available: Cibo/Cibo's corpse.
This unholy Cibo/Safeguard combo manifests and loving annihilates everything by teleporting a slice of the sun to her and spitting fire. BUT...
Pcell manages to get one last shot off and severely injures Cibo, loving her up enough to render her brand-new Safeguard half dormant and Cibo herself (at this point basically a host for the tech) a childlike blank-slate.

Only Killy escapes in what could reasonably be called good condition, or any condition at all.

The last volumes are basically Killy and Sanakan (who has been taken out of the Safeguard command chain and now works directly for the Governing Agency) trying to keep Cibo and the godlike Safeguard/netsphere core she carries out of the hands of Silicon Life. It turns out Sanakan is pretty cool when she's not under murderous instructions. There was also something about Cibo's level-nine core somehow having some of Sanakan's genes in it, but I don't remember how that bit worked.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 7, 2017

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

That makes a surprising amount of sense. Thanks!

Back to the movie: Blame!'s "man with no name, but in the future" is a pretty cool concept. I watched it in English and the dub was very good, but I was constantly thrown off by the fact that the subtitles write 'Killy' while the voice actors say 'Kirii'.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Loved the movie for what it was considering it's limitations. Definitely agree that making Killy function on low power was pretty lame but I can see why they did it to add tension. Cibo, GBE, Sanakan, and the Safeguard were all very well done and looked awesome. My biggest gripe about the whole thing was that super cheesy wind instrument theme that plays whenever Killy is on screen. It felt like an attempt to make him seem like some silent Sasuke badass instead of an ancient half functional computer program

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yum posted:

Loved the movie for what it was considering it's limitations. Definitely agree that making Killy function on low power was pretty lame but I can see why they did it to add tension. Cibo, GBE, Sanakan, and the Safeguard were all very well done and looked awesome. My biggest gripe about the whole thing was that super cheesy wind instrument theme that plays whenever Killy is on screen. It felt like an attempt to make him seem like some silent Sasuke badass instead of an ancient half functional computer program

It did seem over the top, almost like he's some dark horse mysterious stranger from a western. Yet he's so drat sleepy during the whole movie he honestly doesn't do a ton.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

yum posted:

Are you talking about his theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXUKwEzwuo

Honestly, I really like that piece, it does a good job of reflecting his character and his journey. A singular focus, loud and clear, standing out against the noise in the background, often repeated, and when the background picks up, the main theme changes and stands out against it. And by the end it's back to noise.

Repeat that, just with the noise lasting for months or years and you've got Killy's existence.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Yeah that's the one. I dunno, I guess our tastes are different. The loud gong at the start with the flutes and then the piano melody sounds really cheesy to me. Like something from your typical anime fighting game

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I grabbed the first three chapters of APOSIMZ off of comixology and i'm not really sure how i feel about it. His style seems to have changed a hell of a lot, and i'm not sure for the better even if the characters are no longer wall-eyed. There's also approximately 300% more talking.

I'm not sure i'll be sticking with it or not.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It looks like it's going to basically be his take on a battle manga, the Killy who gets turned into a regular frame needs to power up his placenta by killing other regular frames and taking their placenta so he can defeat the evil empire.

If anything it feels kinda like the Gauna battle suit stuff he did in Abara.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dude needs to have his characters shut up and make the plot as simple as possible to service cool technoruins.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
after seeing nihei's take on a teenage love comedy i am down for anything. it is a safe bet that aposimz will get really weird and that's great.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well, i'm very glad to hear you all still have confidence in his writing, i'll be sticking with it for the time being then. Issues are only $.99 right now on amazon/comixology too.

Plus, there's a free chapter zero from Kondansha's site as well.

http://kodanshacomics.com/2017/03/01/aposimz-full-time-wife-escapist-taiyo-no-ie-peach-heaven/

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
You gotta be a real jadedbrains to not enjoy the gently caress out of the writing in Sidonia. :colbert:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sure, silent dead technoscapes with minimalist storytelling are good, but that doesn't mean that nihei should keep writing minor variations on blame.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i would prefer if he at least went back to the art style in blame

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Relin posted:

i would prefer if he at least went back to the art style in blame

Yeah I find his new stuff almost... minimalist? lazy? They aren't as chock full of detailed backgrounds, there's much more white space.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Bought the master edition volumes by Vertical. Reading these over the scans on kissmanga is a world of difference in terms of figuring out whats going on/what people are saying.

1 question though, who was the Silicon Life cyborg that Maeve fuses with before the climax of Toha Industries? I know that Killy beat the poo poo out of it (her?) during his gravity furnace adventures but not much other info is given apart from Cibo stating that it/she was the newest model of Silicon Life and that she had the ability to regenerate which was something that the Silicon Life in the present timeline were unable to do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yum posted:

Bought the master edition volumes by Vertical. Reading these over the scans on kissmanga is a world of difference in terms of figuring out whats going on/what people are saying.

1 question though, who was the Silicon Life cyborg that Maeve fuses with before the climax of Toha Industries? I know that Killy beat the poo poo out of it (her?) during his gravity furnace adventures but not much other info is given apart from Cibo stating that it/she was the newest model of Silicon Life and that she had the ability to regenerate which was something that the Silicon Life in the present timeline were unable to do.

It was from some parallel universe and not really explained.
The whole Toha Industries bit is probably my least favourite section. It just got a little too weird but in a way that felt lazy and making-it-up-as-you-go, which is my biggest complaint with his post-blame! work. Biomega started quite interesting but then went right off the rails and it felt like Lost or Battlestar Galactica where the illusion of a weird mystery or that the writers know where they're going was dashed. Sometimes I think he needs to partner up with a good scifi writer to keep him on track. I'm fine with crazy weird poo poo, just weave it into some sort of consistent plot.

A lot of his weirder shorts are fine because they are shorts, they don't have time for the plot to go off the rails. I also prefer his nearly emotionless cyborgs to his "human" characters because I have zero tolerance for the personality or dialog tropes found in manga/anime.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I can't.

Because it has no Izana, Yuhata, or En/Ren. :colbert:

Lol if you want him to shack up with anyone other than the moe alien biomechanical monstrosity

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There was a great bit in Sidonia after the android-girl came back and was walking around just in her exoskeleton and one of the other girls complains, so she points at Tsugumi's avatar and says "yo you live with a penis".

I also really love his older style of art but I've come around to the character designs and art from later Sidonia and now Aposimz. It feels like he thought that the character art of Blame! wouldn't really translate well to more emotional teenagers/young adults (which I get, most Blame! characters didn't really emote ever) and Sidonia was him trying to establish a new one that would work, and Aposimz is building on it. The environmental detail is still there in spades but Sidonia was set on an inhabited funtional ship and Aposimz is a literal iceball so he just uses white a lot more I think. If the series ever descends into the true core I think we'll see a lot of that old megastructure-sprawl come back.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 14, 2017

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Baronjutter posted:

It was from some parallel universe and not really explained.
The whole Toha Industries bit is probably my least favourite section. It just got a little too weird but in a way that felt lazy and making-it-up-as-you-go, which is my biggest complaint with his post-blame! work. Biomega started quite interesting but then went right off the rails and it felt like Lost or Battlestar Galactica where the illusion of a weird mystery or that the writers know where they're going was dashed. Sometimes I think he needs to partner up with a good scifi writer to keep him on track. I'm fine with crazy weird poo poo, just weave it into some sort of consistent plot.

A lot of his weirder shorts are fine because they are shorts, they don't have time for the plot to go off the rails. I also prefer his nearly emotionless cyborgs to his "human" characters because I have zero tolerance for the personality or dialog tropes found in manga/anime.

yeah Toha was pretty confusing to follow initially. I had to read forums and wikis to find out what was actually going on, especially with lovely scanslations. Even after making sense of all it, the time jumping does seem pretty random. I do like the concept of an ancient business corporation acting autonomously from the city but the double Cibo gravity furnace part was pretty random.

I actually like the way he draws his characters now. Faces are definitely less derpy and you can tell what emotions are being displayed. But for something like Blame! I prefer the original art. The fisheye look kind of fits the setting and sort of emphasizes how non-human Cibo and Killy are.

With his new style Killy and Tanikaze look really similar though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Bastienkun/status/875723189250347010

google translate posted:

Seshita Hiroyuki to announced the production of the sequel to the movie Blame and a 3rd season for the animated Knight of Sidonia!

I'll give that news a tentative :woop: until there's more confirmation i suppose.

• Locked thread