Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

raifield posted:

I wish there was some marketplace function that let you trade energy for minerals. I have something like 4000 energy stored and practically no use for it at all.

There is, if you have the Leviathans mini-expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

raifield posted:

I started playing Stellaris a few days ago, my game is a constant starvation of minerals. Waiting to hit 360 minerals to build some mines...and finally! Back to zero minerals for +4 mineral production and the wait continues. Fleets, buildings, upgrades, can't afford any of it.

It makes for a boring game. I wish there was some marketplace function that let you trade energy for minerals. I have something like 4000 energy stored and practically no use for it at all.

If you adopt prosperity as your first tradition, you can get a huge discount for your mining stations. (Exploration is the same, but for research stations.)

If you want to be really brazen, play as democratic and shuffle your empire leader around with elections to always have one with mining bonuses in charge.

Anyway, even without all this, as long as you explore around with your science ships to pinpoint good sources of minerals, you can get to the point where your mineral storage overflows pretty drat often.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I got this game. Not because of the LP, but because it's been on my radar for quite a while. I grabbed it off the Humble Monthly for cheap, so I will be learning the game.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I can't believe I never thought to try trading with the other empires. I guess years of other strategy games have hardened me to expect nothing agreeable from the AI.

I don't have the Leviathans expansion, now that I am not playing so stupidly I'll probably enjoy this more and buy the expansions.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Seeing as we have no more votes, the General Assembly is now considered adjourned. President Muwanga's response and gameplay comes tomorrow.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Danny Glands posted:

Seeing as we have no more votes, the General Assembly is now considered adjourned. President Muwanga's response and gameplay comes tomorrow.

Aw dang, I barely missed it. And I'm going off grid for the weekend.

Guess my representative isn't born yet.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

raifield posted:

I can't believe I never thought to try trading with the other empires. I guess years of other strategy games have hardened me to expect nothing agreeable from the AI.

I don't have the Leviathans expansion, now that I am not playing so stupidly I'll probably enjoy this more and buy the expansions.

That's perfectly understandable, I certainly haven't played many strategy games where you could even semi-reliably trade with the AI. [Edit]: Especially not 4x games. [/edit].

Be aware that while the AI won't accept to give you a research agreement unless their attitude is 'receptive' (green) or better, they're perfectly willing to accept one from you in exchange for a minerals or credits as far down as 'wary' (the lowest yellow) attitude. Having such an agreement will even slowly improve their Trust of you, without needing a non-aggression treaty. That's not quite money-for-nothing, since they do gain something out of the deal, but it doesn't cost you anything directly, either. Do note that it's perfectly possible for either of you to rival or declare war on the other, and AFAICT it doesn't cancel the research agreement. OR at least, it will resume after the war is over.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

The screenshots have been taken and the text has been written, and once I edit them I'll post and give you all a chance to say hi to our neighbors.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

2200.01.01 - 2201.12.02

When it comes to scientific proposals, President Muwanga decides to give the General Assembly's suggestions to the R&D department as is. Field Modulation, Planetary Unification, and Nanomechanics are now the active focus of the head researchers.

A proposal comes from the R&D department to study different types of stars up close now that it's finally possible to get closer to them than several light-years. A second scientific ship is requested, but President Muwanga states that building it will be put on hold until there's a comfortable amount of minerals available for use.

The Anaconda fleet is split up into individual ships and are tasked with exploring the area outside UNE space.

As Dr. Dietrich approaches Venus, he finds that the mineral readings from his ship's sensors don't match what scientists on Earth have theorized. He decides to come back later. Later, he discovers a few oddities on 1 Ceres in the asteroid belt, as well as on Ganymede. Something concerns him about the strange lights underneath Callisto's icy surface. (Forgot to screenshot the Venus anomaly, sorry)

All of a sudden, on the 10th of October, first contact occurs. In the Anreya system, the UNS Patrician reports seeing "strange animal-like things" floating in the outer rim of the system. The biological community is enamoured with this news -- Whatever these creatures are, they're able to thrive in the vast emptiness of space! 19 days later, the UNS Cossack reports seeing a "flash of something moving" in the Ujqiohr system. Photo evidence is transmitted to Earth.

In the first days of 2201, permission is granted for a second scientific vessel to be built, while an automated mining station is put under construction around the asteroid 2 Pallas, which has been found to be rich in plenty of useful materials.

Back on Earth, an old "plaguetown" has been marked for demolition and cleanup. Reports are coming back that minerals that have been yet untouched by man are available in its site.

Dr. Dietrich states that he may have found ample evidence of life on Mars, in a rambling, anxious, and paranoid manner.

Some in the scientific community are starting to state that he's acting unprofessionally now. (The Paranoid trait lowers his research speed by 5% and his anomaly research speed by 10%.)

The new scientific vessel, the UNS Litvyak is put into service. As soon as it's finished, Dr. Zhivenkov requests to transfer to its scientific team. As soon as she arrives on the ship, she begins to head to Alpha Centauri. Replacing her as the head of Engineering research is Dr. Joaquin Batista, a computer expert.

The solar system is finally fully surveyed. Some asteroids have been shown to have minerals, Uranus can be exploited for energy, and Triton is stated to be excellent for mechanical research. The mining stations for the asteroids and Uranus are immediately planned.

Meanwhile, Dr. Zhivenkov reports hearing radio signals from Alpha Centauri I -- signals that sound somewhat like common UNS distress calls.

On December 12, 2201, something amazing occured.

A FTL radio signal was sent to Earth from the star Gonexb, in a UNE audiovisual transmission format, and in English no less!

The avians introduce themselves as representatives from the Turexmian Trading Consortium, a megacorporation of sorts. A greeting from Earth is set back, and all of a sudden the government rushes to create a xeno diplomatic corps. It is a momentous occasion for mankind.

The heads of the R&D department meet with several representatives later in the day, and asks what should be done with Dr. Deitrich.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
So while humanity's been struggling to rebuild society after an apocalypse-grade pandemic, the Turexmian Trading Consortium has managed to buy out an entire star system and all its citizens, and then translated Earthling communications in order to contact us. How encouraging.

Let Dietrich spend the rest of his life alone in his science ship, surveying the stars.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 27, 2017

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
In the interest of amassing a massive amount of scientific data, I think a science ship should be sent to explore to the edge of the galaxy. It will be a dangerous undertaking, so the crew aboard should be minimal. In keeping with his proclivities, Dr. Deitrich would be an excellent candidate for this mission.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Keep him surveying. He's level 2, a number of events require level 5 scientists, -10% anomaly research speed is who cares.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
The political capital (influence) we'd need to hire a replacement for Dr Deitrich just isn't worth it. So he's a little slower in delivering results, they still get delivered.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah he's still fine​ at surveying planets and researching anomalies, just a little slower and frankly that barely matters.

...comedy option, go have him investigate a bunch of black holes :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

just leave him be, poor bastard's stressed out enough already without having to suffer the indignity of being removed from command.

Are there any techs that a paranoid scientist would help unlock?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

double nine posted:

Are there any techs that a paranoid scientist would help unlock?

Nope.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Yeah he's still fine​ at surveying planets and researching anomalies, just a little slower and frankly that barely matters.

...comedy option, go have him investigate a bunch of black holes :v:

I agree with this. Surely there is no harm in poking around a few black holes eh? I'm sure one of them in the galaxy somewhere might just be what our wayward researcher needs to be inspired and instill a new sense of purpose into his work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Those science ships cost months of mineral income right now. We're not wasting one just to "oops" a mediocre scientific leader.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The idea is not to "oops" him, the idea is to blitz other empires at dread realizations about the universe, power, physics and love and get a step up on the galactic stage while it's easy. If we wanted bad things to happen to him we'd earmark him for dangerous anomaly scanning and researching work.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
At present, he checks a little slower. This is not an issue.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

The idea is not to "oops" him, the idea is to blitz other empires at dread realizations about the universe, power, physics and love and get a step up on the galactic stage while it's easy. If we wanted bad things to happen to him we'd earmark him for dangerous anomaly scanning and researching work.

This.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

After one day I got the plants and the leviathan DLC because it was on sale on the Humble Store.

Have the scientist continue his surveying. No problem being a little careful

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's WAY too early in the growth curve to worry about 10% slower anomaly research speed. He can listen to late-night talk radio all he wants, let him keep doing his job. If you really want to bother about it he can just be on survey-only duty and we can hire an archaeologist or something to run around and actually handle the anomalies he finds.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Keep 'em. Not worth the influence to replace him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So I am here late but there is an argument to make for terraforming whenever it appears because the weighting for it to appear in the tech tree is stupidly low and there are some good techs that branch off of terraforming technology. also I have never seen that callisto one so i'm intrigued.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is building two science vessels off the bat kind of the standard build order for this game?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Pretty much, yeah. Especially with the Utopia expansion, which can reward you pretty heavily for having a lot of surveying going on.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Looks like it's no contest. Dietrich's staying on his little ship. Update on the way. As soon as we get more data on the Turexmian Trading Consortium, an intelligence file will follow up.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

2201.12.08-2202.07.04
Drs. Zhivenkov and Dietrich continue to survey the local star systems with potential habitable planets.

Dr. Zhivenkov, along with a group of like-minded citizens on Earth, have used the opportunity to create a new political faction called the True Democracy group, dedicated to making sure all sapient beings are treated fairly under the law. (You can either join this faction if you want to, or remain neutral)

Suddenly, border patrols have reported that a large number of civilian freighters from Turexmian territory are on approach. The higher-ups at Customs demand that they be let in as quickly as possible. (All three options have the same effect.)

President Muwanga puts forth a effort to study other planets' past mass extinction events to prevent something similar happening to Earth.

The R&D department puts forth a proposal of their own, to survey potentially habitual planets. As this is already a part of the two science ships' current orders, it's accepted immediately.

The Turexmians have turned out to be economic charlatans, and the energy markets will suffer for a while because of this.

Meanwhile, Dr. Zhivenkov makes some landmark discoveries in the field of field manipulation.

Over in Quylios, the Patrician notices a starship surveying Quylos II. They're given the codename "Delta Aliens." The Patrician is recording radio conversations from this ship and sending them to Earth for xenolinguistic analysis.

Meanwhile, the General Assembly decides what the UN's traditions for this new age should be.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The tradition groups we can adopt are:
  • Expansion: New colonies start with an extra pop. When all Traditions here are adopted, the core system limit will increase by 1.
  • Domination: War Demand cost to subjugate other empires is reduced by 25%, and a +20 opinion bonus is applied when diplomatically subjugating other empires. When all Traditions here are adopted, all research that is not shared between us and our subjects are given a 30% research speed bonus for both parties.
  • Prosperity: Mining station build cost is given a 33% discount. When all traditions here are adopted, Terraforming cost is reduced by 33%.
  • Harmony: All the pops in our empire get a 10% Happiness boost. When all traditions here are adopted, Consumer Goods become 15% cheaper.
  • Supremacy: Border Range increases by 20%. When all traditions here are adopted, the fire rate of our military ships will increase by 15%.
  • Diplomacy: Diplomatic influence costs are reduced by half while trust growth increases by 33%. When all traditions here are adopted, the trust cap will increase by 50.
  • Discovery: Research stations will become 33% cheaper. When all traditions here are adopted, research speed will get a 10% speed boost.

All tradition groups have 5 Traditions to adopt after unlocking the group. When all the Traditions in a group are adopted, we'll have the opportunity to unlock one Ascension Perk. Given all this information, which group do we unlock first?

(Sorry for the short update! Didn't expect us to hit the Unity cap so soon.)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I have no clue what Ascension is, but I do have Traditions in the base game+Leviathans.

Let's go with Diplomacy

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

I have no clue what Ascension is

It's a set of perks that you can get when you complete a set of Traditions. These range from making orbital megastructures to embracing psychic powers to turning everyone in your empire into robots. When we unlock the perk slot, I'll explain a bit more.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Expansion served me very well in my game, so lets do that.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Grab the opener for Prosperity (cheaper mining stations), then get Private Colony Ships (so we can use energy to expand), then start and complete Expansion.

Optionally get the Discovery opener along the way somewhere for the cheaper research stations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Discovery doesn't feel like the best option, but that's absolutely my nature.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Discovery doesn't feel like the best option, but that's absolutely my nature.

Ironically, it absolutely was the best option until they nerfed it.

Let's go for diplomacy and make us some space friends. Not the strongest option but hey, who doesn't want space friends?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

JuniperCake posted:

Ironically, it absolutely was the best option until they nerfed it.

I hear it still is totally broken good, because of this thing where it pumps up your research heavily based on exploring.

I say Expansion though. Get that early while it's still worth it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Expansion, spread our spores borders across the stars.

The nerf to discovery was VERY much needed. It used to be a third(?) of your monthly science gain for every planet, star or asteroid your science ships surveyed and it quickly led to thousands or even tens of thousands of stored science which doubled your research rate for most of the game.

Also, punish those filthy merchants. :argh:
(I've never seen that event before)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gothsheep posted:

I hear it still is totally broken good, because of this thing where it pumps up your research heavily based on exploring.

That's what they nerfed. It used to be 1/3rd your gain now its like 1/10th or something. Still decent but was very overpowered before.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I, Mayor Louis Baybranch of the greater Orestad region, say that we need to emulate those old Star Trek shows and everything about them! While Diplomacy have always been the bread and butter of the United Nations, for the future of our species we need to find our neighbours before we can go and make friends and allies of them! A focus on Discovery is thus what I propose, ensuring the future is ours for the taking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Prosperity is the strongest pick for an opener, followed immediately by opening Expansion. Even though there's a malus for doing so, the sheer combined benefits of both openers are totally worth it.

• Locked thread