Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Prosperity will provide for our economic needs for years to come. We can repay the Turexmian peoples for their act of economic sabotage by outdoing them at their own game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Discovery will help us explore the universe with greater ease.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I'm not sure we have to min-max all the way in this play through, so I'd be tempted to say pick Discovery, however the unexpected economic malaise caused by free inter-planetary trade has convinced me we need to grow and strengthen our economy to prevent the means our life being bought out by alien interests. Prosperity, I say (plus private colony ship is a great thematic 2nd pick).

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Prosperity seems like the way to go.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Expansion, we gotta be everywhere in the galaxy at once!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Right now, Prosperity leads Expansion by just 1 vote.

Also, if you want, feel free to start suggesting new colony names.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Let's get prosperous

From prosperity and economic security, all other rights can flow.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

alcaras posted:

Grab the opener for Prosperity (cheaper mining stations), then get Private Colony Ships (so we can use energy to expand), then start and complete Expansion.

Optionally get the Discovery opener along the way somewhere for the cheaper research stations.

This.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Danny Glands posted:

If we can't have the vote, at least we'll have the name. I'll suggest New Discovery!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Danny Glands posted:

Right now, Prosperity leads Expansion by just 1 vote.

How would this work, do we suggest a buttload of names and you pick from them, or do we vote whenever a new colony is established?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Voting Prosperity for our policy and Nova Alabama as our first colony, we're going to need a lot of farming and breeding so forget science for a while.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I vote for Planet P to be the name for a colony.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One of our planets needs to be called Tannhauser Gate.

edit: unless ... I haven't played in forever, are there special construction projects like a mega fortress or a teleportation gate (for non-wormhole users) that'd be more appropriate to call that?

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 30, 2017

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
If opening expansion isn't your first pick, it should absolutely be your second. That +1 pop to a new colony is kind of huge early on and stays damned useful all the way until you run out of new places to live.

Another thing WRT resources that hasn't been touched on yet, I think: There is a cap to how many minerals and how much energy you can have stored. There are various ways to increase that cap (more easily for minerals than energy, and we saw one in the research options), but once you hit that cap any more gained will just be lost. So having a decent reserve is good, but always remember to keep spending it as well.

... Mind, it'll likely be at least until midgame before we'll run into either cap.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Gaia's Landing for a colony.

Also nthing Prosperity tree.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
There's gotta be a New Texas. The universe will end otherwise. :v:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

double nine posted:

How would this work, do we suggest a buttload of names and you pick from them, or do we vote whenever a new colony is established?

I'll put up a Google Forms poll whenever a new colony is established, with the suggested names.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
If we ever find a bigger continental/gaia world than earth, I suggest Better Earth.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
If you do end up using private colony ships, I think at least some should be named after the business that sponsored the initiative.

I mean, who wouldn't want to live on Disney World?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Can't wait to colonize the hell-world of New New Jersey.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Voting for Prosperity

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Voting for Prosperity as a colony name.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

Voting for Prosperity as a colony name.

Would that be your tradition choice too?

Also, if you guys want fluff pieces about cerrtain parts of the society, tell me and I'll try to make them

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 31, 2017

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Danny Glands posted:

Would that be your tradition choice too?

Nope, I'm voting for Colony as tradion choice. Err... I mean Expansion for tradition.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Here is the votes as they run:
  • Expansion: The_Final_Stand, Gothsheep, Poil, Pyroi, kaosdrachen, Kanthulhu (6)
  • Domination: none
  • Prosperity: alcaras, Aethernet, Wyld Karde, Yadoppsi, paragon1, Night10194, Anias, Weavered, Trivia, Piell (10)
  • Harmony: none
  • Supremacy: none
  • Diplomacy: IAmTheRad, JuniperCake (2)
  • Discovery: 100YrsofAttitude, Luhood, AJ_Impy (3)

I'll give this a few more hours for any last-minute votes.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Changing my vote to Expansion if we can't do the Prosperity opener and Private Colony Ships into Expansion.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 1, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Expansion

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Expansion to stop the tide of prosperity.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Through Expansion we shall find prosperity, so let's do that.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Name the new world... Marathon.

And 100% definitely go for Self-Aware AI the moment it becomes available

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Stormgear posted:

Name the new world... Marathon.

And then rename it to Snickers when we reach mid game.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I say you name the colony Hadleys Hope. My naming scheme for humans is always to name them after horribly doomed worlds from sci-fi.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

All right, votes and name suggestions are closed. Final tally for Tradition:

• Expansion: The_Final_Stand, Gothsheep, Poil, Pyroi, kaosdrachen, Kanthulhu, alcaras, Aerdan, Rawkking, raifield (10)
  • Domination: none
  • Prosperity: Aethernet, Wyld Karde, Yadoppsi, paragon1, Night10194, Anias, Weavered, Trivia, Piell (9)
  • Harmony: none
  • Supremacy: none
  • Diplomacy: IAmTheRad, JuniperCake (2)
  • Discovery: 100YrsofAttitude, Luhood, AJ_Impy (3)

Expansion wins. Update soon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Weavered posted:

I second this proposal.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014

Weavered posted:

Yes absolutely perfect.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gothsheep posted:

I say you name the colony Hadleys Hope. My naming scheme for humans is always to name them after horribly doomed worlds from sci-fi.

Hadley's Nope?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

2202.07.04 - 2205.05.07

The General Assembly has voted on Expansion to be the nation's current focus.

Barnard's Star is an M-class star, which makes up-close observations very important to scientists back on earth. The A-class star Sirius A is also of interest. After our science ships investigate those two stars, Llith (a neutron star) and Braikag (a K-class star) are next to be investigated.

Dr. Dietrich hears something coming from a gas giant in the Sirius system.

The Patrician has apparently found the home system of the "Delta Aliens." The radio intercepts that the ship is taking picks up some very interested-sounding and exciting conversations from the planet as the UN ship appears at the edge of the system.

The homeworld itself appears to be the second moon of one of the gas giants in the system.

A few months after the Patrician's appearance on the outer edge of the Malperion system, the home planet sends a transmission in English.

The vulpine seems to be reading haltingly from a script, and trips over several words.

Despite the language barrier, they seem very excited to finally communicate with us.

Dr. Zhivenkov, after researching Barnard's Star, submits a few notes to Earth about stellar fusion. The scientific community states that her observations equate to a few years' research on fusion power on Earth. A few months later, her observation of a planet within its system seems to be of interest to the theoretical terraforming community.

In the Zac'zon system, another species of spaceborne organism is discovered.

Another science ship belonging to another space empire has been spotted surveying the Old'awi system.

A quick diplomatic deal with the Turmexians for star charts is made. It turns out that the only things their star charts had that Earth's didn't is detailed reports about the Gonexb and Iranaro systems.

The "Alpha Aliens," the first sign of life off of Earth that Humans discovered, have been dubbed "space ameobas" by the populace. The R&D organization begin plans to observe them... from afar.

After completing his research on power production methods, Dr. de la Cruz begins working on better machine learning methods.

Yet another alien civilization contacts us, this time the Trinikan Partnership, the appearance of its citizens being laughed at by more immature members of the science community. ("They're talking slugs in suits!")

Dr. Zhivenkov begins to draft a paper on particle physics after observing Llith.

The data from observing the stars is used to tune up Earth's power stations, allowing the energy market to come back from the Turmexians' meddling.

After completing her research on nanomechanics, Dr. Batista sets out to work on a personal project: powered exoskeletons for both military and labor use.

The Zac'zon aliens, now known as "Tiyanki," have been found to be mostly harmless.

Dr. Deitrich discovers evidence of an ancient space battle on Procyon II. In his notes, he writes "To think of that space-going empires of the past fought huge battles so close to Sol is, frankly, frightening. What if instead of Procyon II, they fought in the vicinity of Earth?"

When the UN diplomacy corps speak with Malperdy after some small trade deals (the UN traded a small amount of minerals for a small amount of energy for 30 years), the Kitsu seem happy to see us. Some in the diplomatic corps swear they could hear an episode of the ancient Earth show "I Love Lucy" playing in the background of the office on Malperdy.

President Muwanga gives the Kitsu First Executive Fon Taras a promise not to attack the Assembly of Kitsu Planets, and Fon Taras promises not to attack the UN's territory.

On May 7, 2205, Earth sends its first colony ship to Alpha Centauri II, a planet with dense forests and beautiful lakes. It will take a while for the colony ship to be constructed and to head to the new world, which will give the colonists plenty of time to decide on a name.

(Please select the name to give Alpha Centauri II in this poll.)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
All right, who in our Xenorelations department translated the fox-resembling people species name as 'Kitsu'?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

AJ_Impy posted:

All right, who in our Xenorelations department translated the fox-resembling people species name as 'Kitsu'?

Given what we know about them, it's entirely possible they renamed themselves after the word for "fox" they heard in our Classical Animes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Space foxes always seem to be friendly and kindly.

A far cry from terrestrial foxes.

• Locked thread