Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Also if you're into guns and want to keep them, you should probably be for some forms of gun control. Eventually someone is going to really up the ante and its going to involve multiple people and bombs, while democrats have control, and you're not going to like the results of it.

Its not going to happen though. I don't see Republicans in this climate doing anything that could be labeled gun control even if its just a campaign for gun safety and encouraging gun safes.

I hold out hope that democrats can put together a decent gun bill, but I'm not holding my breath because I've seen the quality they come up with.

If we could just prevent the lunatics from acting out in the meantime it would be wonderful, but we can't and they won't, and we'll get knee-jerk reaction laws.

Gun safes, gun cabinets, and gun locks, are a decent standard to make the norm. The only problem is cost. You have to keep the bare minimum affordable and not an entry barrier or you'll raise the ire of people who can't afford a safe, or don't live somewhere they can install one (and/or their advocates).

Training is good for all ages. Making sure children understand that guns aren't toys and aren't for playing with is important. Making teenagers understand that guns aren't toys and life isn't a loving videogame is important.

My biggest fear though is the democrats are gonna gently caress the whole thing up and allow the republicans to stay in power. The country is going to be even more hosed if that happens.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the lawnmower video guy loses a leg fyi

That is why I didn't want to link it. I figured anyone in GiP with half a brain would understand that turning a lawnmower into an IED is a horrible decision.

And since it doesn't get said enough, gently caress the nra. Those morons have made things worse since they did their little coup and went hardline no-compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I just saw the latest video some kids took as their classroom was being cleared.

Just absolutely everything in that is disturbing. The kids standing around petrified as a dead kid is bleeding out on the floor in front of them, them leaning in to film it, the cops leading them out the classroom, past yet more dead bodies in the hallway...just loving everything, jesus christ

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

kupachek posted:

Stuff

And since it doesn't get said enough, gently caress the nra. Those morons have made things worse since they did their little coup and went hardline no-compromise.

With you on most of this but with the safe thing there'd have to be a Heller exception for reasonable home/family/self defense. One that has very clear consequences if it's used by law enforcement to harass people minorities.

The NRA only cares about the NRA. They can go to hell. Not just for the poo poo they pulled in the 90's but that's a large part of it. If you're anywhere near a strict Constitution type don't make the mistake of thinking they're on your side. They'll sell you and everyone else out to fudds and old people they can scare for money.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 20, 2018

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Steezo posted:

One that has very clear consequences if it's used by law enforcement to harass people minorities.

Need these kind of protections for more than just safes/storage. It's (firearms/self defense) been historically leveraged against minorities and those deemed undesirable (poor, among other types) by those in control and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Some of those tiny pistol safes are promising, a balance between low cost and basic security. They cost about the same as a hipoint, and would determine casual access like curious offspring and quick smash and grab type of thieves. Can still get them open and have your handgun ready in short order.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I'll never be an NRA member. I wish there was a more viable non-partisan/left leaning equivalent to the NRA that I could become a member of.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, I'll never be an NRA member. I wish there was a more viable non-partisan/left leaning equivalent to the NRA that I could become a member of.

I think that if people want the right to bear arms to remain longer than a generation, they’d wise up and ditch the NRA, or orchestrate a coup to get LaPierre and the other crazies out as soon as possible. It’s pretty clear that they’re going to be on the losing side in the long term, and they may end up taking the whole 2A with them when they finally collapse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The NRA and GOP seem to have a very similar problem in that regard.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

DoktorLoken posted:

Pink Pistols is a pro-LGBT org that does firearms self defense stuff.

http://www.pinkpistols.org/

And the Liberal Gun Club is a lefty org.

https://www.theliberalgunclub.com/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DoktorLoken posted:

Redneck Revolt as well

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

Redneck Revolt as well

Just make sure you nope the gently caress out if they start getting a little too inclined towards violence.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah if they tell you to run over liberals in a false flag move after giving you a briefcase of green dollar bills signed by soros just say no

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
GUN CONTROL QUESTION AHEAD

Hey fellas. I was at the march yesterday, and a questioned popped into my idiot head. See, I like shooting for sport. I don’t carry, I live in the suburbs so I don’t need some home defense gun, but I also am starting to really hate guns in general. Really, I would be fine with just banning all the guns because we really don’t seem to be able to handle them as a country.

But until then, I still like shooting as a hobby. How can I reconcile those things? Is it possible to participate in the gun control fight while still enjoying a shooting hobby?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Triggering John Birchers is never wrong, Deathy.

Have you ever messed with spring piston air rifles? All the initial recoil is forwards, so they need a really weird grip and technique and it's a worthy challenge if you're coming to it from powder firearms.

There are pre-charged pneumatics out now that can drop a whitetail.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 25, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I haven't shot in years and living in Texas I have no desire to associate myself with gun owners. I think I last renewed my range membership around 2011-2012 and the crowd was sketchy as hell and racist as gently caress. I don't imagine it is any better.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hey fellas. I was at the march yesterday, and a questioned popped into my idiot head. See, I like shooting for sport. I don’t carry, I live in the suburbs so I don’t need some home defense gun, but I also am starting to really hate guns in general. Really, I would be fine with just banning all the guns because we really don’t seem to be able to handle them as a country.

But until then, I still like shooting as a hobby. How can I reconcile those things? Is it possible to participate in the gun control fight while still enjoying a shooting hobby?

I would say start thinking a little bit more about what your new opinion would entail. What would actually have to happen to make it legal, how would gun seizures actually work, and how well would that go over. Etc.

Also, I'd read a bit more history...it's full of examples of the citizenry being abused by a government that has a full monopoly of force, or the government being unable to defend the unarmed population when necessary. The examples don't show up every decade, but when they do appear, the results are disastrous. The idea that "it could never happen here" is 100% bullshit. We're seeing seeds planted literally now, through this administration and that its horrible ideas (death penalty for drug dealers, overt racism/regressive policies, etc) actually have some support in the population.

Edit: Get an air rifle and gift your guns to me.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

Even the countries with the strictest gun control laws have avenues for people to shoot as a sport. To be fair, it does become more expensive and time consuming once you introduce training, storage, and licensing requirements.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
He's toxic as hell and no one wants to be on a losing team that racks up plea deals at best

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

boop the snoot posted:

how about we meet in the middle: you need a professional health screening prior to purchasing any firearm, and it has to be renewed every three years.

watch how fast obamacare gets funded.

Cole had a very good idea.

The one loophole I see is that healthy brains still sometimes have broke brain children who will take the parent's gun and shoot their classmates.

I move that having children be included in the list of disqualifying broke-brain traits.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Godholio posted:

Also, I'd read a bit more history...it's full of examples of the citizenry being abused by a government that has a full monopoly of force, or the government being unable to defend the unarmed population when necessary. The examples don't show up every decade, but when they do appear, the results are disastrous. The idea that "it could never happen here" is 100% bullshit. We're seeing seeds planted literally now, through this administration and that its horrible ideas (death penalty for drug dealers, overt racism/regressive policies, etc) actually have some support in the population.

I've said it before but Athens Tennessee and the Black Panther Party (before the government infiltration and astroturfing) are examples of it being used as intended within at least one human lifetime. Also the Roof Koreans during the LA riots. The second amendment has never been about sport, it's always been about a check on government monopoly on violence.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Deathy McDeath posted:

I feel you. I am in the same boat pretty much. I have a DD M4 and a Savage Scout(which is bolt action) that I love shooting, but I understand that something should be done about these mass shootings. I don't think owning an AR makes me a monster, but I hate a lot of right-wing views on gun ownership too. It's complicated I guess. I was an 11B for six years and I think its weird seeing civilians be gun crazy. I know a guy with multiple ARs, body armor, AKs, etc...

I just recently started looking into recurve bows, it looks fun. Might pick one up in April.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Steezo posted:

The second amendment has never been about sport, it's always been about a check on government monopoly on violence.

That ship sailed long ago

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

That ship sailed long ago

No it hasn't. Do you want me to start quoting the Supreme Court as to why you're wrong? Ever read the remarks on Heller vs DC or McDonald vs Chicago? Because those two are recent. Or do you want me going further back, to when predominately black churches had armed security because of a KKK bombing and terror campaign?

Shall Not Be Infringed. Real simple language. Kinda like Congress Shall Make No Law...

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Smiling Jack posted:

Well you could take them all to the same hotel room and use them to murder over fifty innocent people

He literally could have done the same thing with 2 or 3 ARs. Who the gently caress gives a poo poo if he had 23 rifles up there if he only fired a couple of them?

The focus on the amount of guns some people accumulate, and idiots on the news calling 2 pistols, a Mosin, a lovely hunting rifle, a poo poo-tier crossbow, and an AR15 an "arsenal" and breathlessly talking about hundreds, or GASP over a thousand rounds of ammo, is loving stupid.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Deathy McDeath posted:

I apologize in advance if any of this sounds condescending; that is not my intent. Frankly, I think that supporting any form of gun control while also enjoying shooting as a hobby is quite contradictory and even a bit misguided (hang on! I don't think this is your fault). I don't think that the images or narratives being shoved down our throats every day is representative of Americans in general, and the notion that gun ownership or America itself have somehow fundamentally changed is ludicrous.

Certainly, there are folks who can't seem to handle gun ownership, but I think we all know that the idiots who get the spotlight are an incredibly small minority here. Consider yourself for a moment: you're probably just a normal dude who happens to like shooting. The vast majority of folks out there with guns are ordinary people like you and me who happen to enjoy shooting; they're not mall ninjas, they're not white supremacists, and they're not buck-toothed sister-fuckers. "Ordinary" people are just that. Why do I say this?

People haven't changed much since the days when you could mail order anti-tank rifles to your door, but the way that we interact with one another has. We live in a society where everybody is connected twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. There have recently been plenty of good articles exploring the ways that social media, 24/7 news, and an always-connected society gently caress with peoples' mental health and generally make life miserable, and the biggest takeaways from those are that a) echo chambers are incredibly easy to form and b) the opinions you're exposed to every day aren't necessarily representative of the populace as a whole. This isn't to imply some wacky tinfoil hat conspiracy poo poo is going on, merely that it's easier than ever for voices to reach further, especially when they're curated (for better or worse) and targeted at a particular audience (again, for better or worse). Unfortunately, some voices scream louder than others, and sometimes in an always-connected society some of those voices will drown out others, especially the quiet voices of people who are just trying to mind their own business and don't want to be bothered.

The country we live in today is the safest it has been in generations. I don't think I need to preach to you guys about how poverty is the biggest driving factor behind violence in any given community, or show you lots of charts about how crime has been trending down for decades, or go on about how few crimes are committed by ordinary people who just so happen to own firearms. I think it's worth briefly mentioning these things here if only so that you keep them in mind the next time some unhinged lunatic starts screaming about blood in the streets or fascism or some other nonsense.

You do what you want to do. That's the beauty of a society in which you're free to make your own choices.

e: typos

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 26, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Steezo posted:

No it hasn't. Do you want me to start quoting the Supreme Court as to why you're wrong? Ever read the remarks on Heller vs DC or McDonald vs Chicago? Because those two are recent. Or do you want me going further back, to when predominately black churches had armed security because of a KKK bombing and terror campaign?

Shall Not Be Infringed. Real simple language. Kinda like Congress Shall Make No Law...

let me know when you're ready to start shooting police ok

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

let me know when you're ready to start shooting police ok

FYI this is why the anti-rights crowd isn't taken seriously. "Oh you don't agree with me, and pointed out a fact, let me attack you as a person".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Steezo posted:

FYI this is why the anti-rights crowd isn't taken seriously. "Oh you don't agree with me, and pointed out a fact, let me attack you as a person".

And lovely debaters like you make the pro-gun side look bad.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

"well regulated militia"

this is the part where you try and claim every white male 16-40 is technically part of a militia

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:shrug:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Smiling Jack posted:

"well regulated militia"

this is the part where you try and claim every white male 16-40 is technically part of a militia
I, too, have a difficult time grasping English sentence structure.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

I, too, have a difficult time grasping English sentence structure.

Commas as a dramatic flourish are hard. A lot of you are stumbling over the part that goes, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Which is different language from "Congress shall make no law" because it also applies to the states. The government was never meant to have a monopoly on violence.

Unless you somehow reject the notion that the people referred to in First and Fourth amendments aren't the same as the Second. Supreme Court rejects the notion that they're separate people as it usually means "voter".

To quote the Heller ruling, "the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home."

Steezo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 26, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'll buy it if we ditch having a standing military

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

A standing army is provided for in the Constitution. You just have to re-fund the Army every 2 years.

Now the Air Force, that's unconstitutional!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

shame on an IGA posted:

I think it's the National Guard that could conceivably be thought of as a militia nowadays.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

"well regulated militia"

The right is reserved to the people, not the Militia.

Plus, the framers empowered Congress to issue letters of marque and reprisal, so clearly they considered the idea that private individuals would be able to own not just small arms, but warships and cannon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kuroyama posted:

I think it's the National Guard that could conceivably be thought of as a militia nowadays.

Except the NG isn't really what they thought of as a militia either. The tie is basically heraldry.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I have a really tough time taking pro gun extreme right wingers serious when they say "they'll have to take the guns from my cold dead hands" when they are in the process of getting their foot amputated because of uncontrolled diabetes and other health issues.

Like I mean if you're loving Rambo then sure. He stopped an entire police squad and the national guard.

But the guys I've seen talk more about what medications their docs switched on them than they do walking in a day.

Like, come on guys, get it together.

And I'm not really political and stuff I just can't even right now with this.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Kuroyama posted:

The Dick act of 1903 made the militia/National Guard part of the Federal forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Act_of_1903

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

From that very page:

quote:

This law repealed the Militia Acts of 1792 and designated the militia [per Title 10, Section 311] as two groups: the Unorganized Militia, which included all able-bodied men between ages 17 and 45, and the Organized Militia, which included state militia (National Guard) units receiving federal support.

• Locked thread