Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The bubble that I notice forming is the sharp increase in housing prices due to low supply.

Houses have been selling fast, but it looks like (where I live at least) things are starting to hit a wall. A big problem being banks aren't lending unless you can put 20% down and not a lot of people have that kind of capital anymore.

Either supply is going to ramp up via construction and push prices down or houses are going sit unsold until their owners start lowering the price. Feels a bit like the reserve of the pre-2007 crash where now the problem is to few houses and not enough lending.

or maybe I'm off base completely and things are good :shrug:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

IIRC the shortage in housing is artificial, because banks and other interests bought up properties after the crash and sat on them. That way they could use housing for rental incomes, and keep the price of houses already on the market from going down.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Commerz posted:

why did you have to gently caress the thread up by mentioning some computer geek poo poo you loving nerd

BRICS owns and you don't know anything. lol at arguing India will be fine unless it reopens its racism factories, it didn't seem to the affect USA at all

what are you talking about

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Commerz posted:

why did you have to gently caress the thread up by mentioning some computer geek poo poo you loving nerd

BRICS owns and you don't know anything. lol at arguing India will be fine unless it reopens its racism factories, it didn't seem to the affect USA at all

idk about b and the s but insiders/government officials/rich ppl in the RIC are all sending their $$$ into the US/Canada/UK as fast as possible

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

OhFunny posted:

The bubble that I notice forming is the sharp increase in housing prices due to low supply.

Houses have been selling fast, but it looks like (where I live at least) things are starting to hit a wall. A big problem being banks aren't lending unless you can put 20% down and not a lot of people have that kind of capital anymore.

Either supply is going to ramp up via construction and push prices down or houses are going sit unsold until their owners start lowering the price. Feels a bit like the reserve of the pre-2007 crash where now the problem is to few houses and not enough lending.

or maybe I'm off base completely and things are good :shrug:

what if i told you that the hedge funds that hold these houses do it to constrict the supply of housing because they can sit on it forever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy2FzfhSrY0

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

idk about b and the s but insiders/government officials/rich ppl in the RIC are all sending their $$$ into the US/Canada/UK as fast as possible

Can't wait for that real estate bubble to pop.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Our love is a bubble, ready to pop, dropping me dead like a stockbroker

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A process that seeks constant growth within a closed system is fundamentally insane, yet the entire world is dedicated to it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Housing is hosed because millennials can't afford housing, so they're delaying purchase

But the tech bubble + foreign capital keeps it gong in certain places, but neither can last forever

Tech will burst, and housing will die with it

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
you guys keep saying it's gonna pop, but it then it actually doesn't. tell me when. i've been burned too many times

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Bubbles are unpredictable by their nature, as soon as 'enough' people think it will pop, and act accordingly, then it pops, but you can't predict that ahead of time.

But my guess is: it'll start with the public failing of some high profile tech companies. That starts a run, some tech bros have to sell up or whatever, and it spreads from there.

But a pop isn't going to necessarily mean its a buyers market, far from it. The nature of econonic crises is that everyone is affected. In other words, don't think you'll get a home on the cheap, because you'll be finding yourself in money trouble as well. Millenials are, more than likely, never ever ever ever reaching the same level of home ownership as boomers. They and the next generation are going to be in poo poo, their entire life.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the caste system was way more than racism, it was an entire societal setup that literally made it illegal to do anything beyond what you were told to do. common Indians could not even go home at the end of a day's work and ply another trade for extra money. there were laws on the books that make anyone doing that a criminal. this isn't any de facto stuff, it was literally an inked law that could put someone in shackles.

racism is real and harmful to over a billion people on this planet but reducing it directly to the caste system is super ignorant. it was so much bigger than that.

this is the sort of poo poo lawmakers in India attempt to put back into place on the reg.

yes, that lack of liberalization hurts their economy massively.

this isn't a prediction, this is historical record and widely accepted present fact.

there are no current signs nor hopes that the country will resolve these social problems any time soon. just like nobody sees an end to putinism (even if he dies tomorrow he has cronies everywhere that will continue his bullshit) or an end to the corruption in Brazil (even the president has been caught taking bribes on multiple occasions without consequence - nobody is interested in reform).

it's not my fault you choose to ignore all of these basic facts using the same hand wave bullshit that ecstatic nerds use to talk about the glorious utopia of mechanical overlords. maybe you should consider that the similarities in rhetoric imply a similarity in substance.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
bubbles are a giant pump and dump strategy

the point is to overheat the economy so it crashes

the people and institutions that make these bubbles make money on the upswing and then buy up assets on the downswing for pennies

the whole point is to create an environment ripe for corporate buyouts and privatizations

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
capitalism is producing its own gravediggers

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Coolguye posted:

the caste system was way more than racism, it was an entire societal setup that literally made it illegal to do anything beyond what you were told to do. common Indians could not even go home at the end of a day's work and ply another trade for extra money. there were laws on the books that make anyone doing that a criminal. this isn't any de facto stuff, it was literally an inked law that could put someone in shackles.

racism is real and harmful to over a billion people on this planet but reducing it directly to the caste system is super ignorant. it was so much bigger than that.

this is the sort of poo poo lawmakers in India attempt to put back into place on the reg.

yes, that lack of liberalization hurts their economy massively.

this isn't a prediction, this is historical record and widely accepted present fact.

there are no current signs nor hopes that the country will resolve these social problems any time soon. just like nobody sees an end to putinism (even if he dies tomorrow he has cronies everywhere that will continue his bullshit) or an end to the corruption in Brazil (even the president has been caught taking bribes on multiple occasions without consequence - nobody is interested in reform).

it's not my fault you choose to ignore all of these basic facts using the same hand wave bullshit that ecstatic nerds use to talk about the glorious utopia of mechanical overlords. maybe you should consider that the similarities in rhetoric imply a similarity in substance.

i read that low caste women in 1800s Kerala had to pay a tax to be allowed to wear clothes. caste system is hosed

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Coolguye posted:

thank u for protecting lower caste rights to drive an uber after working in a factory all day, the freer the market the freer the people.

tekz posted:

what are you talking about

instead of just agreeing with me that 50 years is a long time someone wrote like 5 rambling sentences basically saying yeah it is a long time then started talking about sentient computers???

gucci bane has issued a correction as of 11:14 on May 31, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mormonpartyboat posted:

stupid stpid stupid when u can always maek money selling farting on opeoples faces

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Vermain posted:

like, the world will absolutely be unrecognizable in 50 years because mass automation will cause an enormous crisis in capitalist economies, but if you think we're hitting the singularity in 30 years i wanna see your drat calculations

like i dont even understand or fathom what people are going to do without the concept of a "job" since its all automated

we'll just walk into walls and meld with them as they swallow us up and spit us up on the third level because the building itself is alive and thats totally hypernormal in 2050 probably but in 2017 for me its a :psyboom:

im p sure that the economic bubble on such technologies such as wall melds and augs will expand until nanomachines gently caress that poo poo up and deflate that bubble and then solar leaf sails probably who knows

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

the caste system was way more than racism, it was an entire societal setup that literally made it illegal to do anything beyond what you were told to do.
what do you mean was , it still v much exists and is part of the reason india has such bad malnutrition

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Looking forward to the Dyson sphere bubble

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

rudatron posted:

Bubbles are unpredictable by their nature, as soon as 'enough' people think it will pop, and act accordingly, then it pops, but you can't predict that ahead of time.

But my guess is: it'll start with the public failing of some high profile tech companies. That starts a run, some tech bros have to sell up or whatever, and it spreads from there.

But a pop isn't going to necessarily mean its a buyers market, far from it. The nature of econonic crises is that everyone is affected. In other words, don't think you'll get a home on the cheap, because you'll be finding yourself in money trouble as well. Millenials are, more than likely, never ever ever ever reaching the same level of home ownership as boomers. They and the next generation are going to be in poo poo, their entire life.

it will be a cascade of investors realizing throwing their cash at silicon valley is losing them money which will probably happen when a bunch of people who threw money at twitter before realize it's never going to turn a profit. if a big tech company dies for that reason, it's all going to break.

tech isn't unprofitable and won't go away, but a lot of it is magic made up numbers to people buying services.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
im not sure how indias growing at 7% a year or w/e besides libealization but it would be nothing short of earned comeuppance if the BJP managed to gently caress that up w/ insane theocratic policies. ppl worship modi cause i think he can legitimately claim to be self made, the economy is growing and as far as i know the corruption initiatives are actually having some effect, however minimal. but god hes awful and the only thing that will affect his popularity is a slowdown

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's the full thing in case someone hasn't seen it yet

thanks for reminding me that there is still good in this world

i miss LF, C-SPAM just isn't the same

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
:same:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Looking back to a supposed glorious past is reactionary; C-SPAM enters its Nazbol era.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

IIRC the shortage in housing is artificial, because banks and other interests bought up properties after the crash and sat on them. That way they could use housing for rental incomes, and keep the price of houses already on the market from going down.

Top City Homo posted:

what if i told you that the hedge funds that hold these houses do it to constrict the supply of housing because they can sit on it forever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy2FzfhSrY0

Thanks for the information.

After some thought that actually makes me 180 away from thinking we'll have another housing collapse. Since those at the most risk of mortgage default already went down in the last crash and are likely stuck renting now.

Stagnation seems more likely to me. As people cut back on other spending to pay for rent/loans/necessities. I see rent's rise is starting to slow.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

OhFunny posted:

After some thought that actually makes me 180 away from thinking we'll have another housing collapse. Since those at the most risk of mortgage default already went down in the last crash and are likely stuck renting now.

Stagnation seems more likely to me. As people cut back on other spending to pay for rent/loans/necessities. I see rent's rise is starting to slow.

If everybody in our generation quit trying to buy their own homes and moved back in with their parents, then the real estate bubble would burst and it'd be the most leftcom thing ever.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OhFunny posted:

idk about that dude

https://twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/859874707318767617

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Canada is always 9 years behind

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Main Paineframe posted:

thanks for reminding me that there is still good in this world

i miss LF, C-SPAM just isn't the same

think not of the shitposting of the past, comrade, but of the glorious shitposting future!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Canada is always 9 years behind

or always 9 years ahead

makes you think

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

rudatron posted:

you are repeating what happened in 2000, and 2008- is this an intentional observation?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

or always 9 years ahead

makes you think

or maybe America is just 9 years ahead of its time

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

or maybe America is just 9 years ahead of its time

perhaps time is relative to lovely neoliberal policy, and as america pumps the gas, time appears to move more quickly while the distance to the mad max hellscape appears shorter

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
well I'd say Trump has already being causing time dilation: Jan 20th 2017 feels like years ago

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
a bubble bursts in the country every ten years when there is limited regulation

we have limited regulation, so hold on to you skivvies, kids

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
hey guys there is a housing bubble rn in us again because rofl we don't actually learn any lessons and/or don't care about poor people getting hosed when our greed tanks the economy

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mister magpie posted:

hey guys there is a housing bubble rn in us again because rofl we don't actually learn any lessons and/or don't care about poor people getting hosed when our greed tanks the economy

spot on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

a bubble bursts in the country every ten years when there is limited regulation

we have limited regulation, so hold on to you skivvies, kids

just in time for the 2018 midterms (maybe)

nah who am I kidding 2nd (3rd) great depression in 2021 after trump loses in 2020, democrats take the blame and the GOP nominates trump but competent in 2024

• Locked thread