Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Huh, why did I never hear about this? I appreciate the imagery of the prison cell that the monkey king starts in at the beginning, considering that in the journey to the west, the monkey king is born from a stone egg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Funny enough, this short action-packed intro kind of combines Sun Wukong's two distinct introductions to the story in Journey to the West: when he is born, and when he meets the hero! These events happen at very different points in the original story.
But here's how my copy begins, right from page one:

quote:

There was a rock that since the creation of the world had been worked upon by the pure essences of Heaven and the fine savours of Earth, the vigour of sunshine and the grace of moonlight, till at last it became magically pregnant and one day split open, giving birth to a stone egg, about as big as a playing ball. Fructified by the wind it developed into a stone monkey, complete with every organ and limb. At once this monkey learned to climb and run; but it's first act was to make a bow towards each of the four quarters.

It can't have been a mistake that the prison cell was egg shaped. And it can't have been a mistake that he begins the story in a prison cell! In Journey to the West, Sun Wukong and Tripitaka (the person actually making the journey west) don't meet until almost halfway through the story. Tripitaka finds him trapped in a magically enchanted prison where he has been jailed for 500 years (why he's there I will not reveal the details of in case the monkey king of this game also has a complicated past, but it should be said that this is all very googleable and part of general summaries), and he promises to aid the priest on his journey if he will free him. The priest lifts the spell that kept him trapped, and just like in the game he pretty much immediately regains his staff first thing. But it's not long after they started traveling together before Sun Wukong starts being a jerk, disobeying his savior, and leaves! Tripitaka is fine with not having him around, but an old woman (secretly a bodhisattva in disguise) basically says that won't do it all, and he will need him to complete his journey, and to that end gives him a spell to recite, and some items. "Make him wear this cap and coat. If he disobeys you, say the spell, and he'll give you no more trouble and never dare to leave you."

Here comes the fun part about the slave headband.

So they run into each other again, and eventually he tricks Sun Wukong into trying on the cap and coat by claiming "Anyone who wears this cap can recite scriptures without having to learn them. Anyone who wears this coat can perform ceremonies without having practiced them." And as soon as he does...

quote:

Monkey put on the coat and cap, and Tripitaka, pretending to be eating the dried provisions, silently mumbled the spell. 'My head is hurting!' screamed Monkey. Tripitaka went on reciting, and monkey rolled over on the ground, frantically trying to break the metal fillet of the cap. Fearing that he would succeed, Tripitaka stopped for a moment. Instantly the pain stopped. Monkey felt his head. The cap seemed to have taken root upon it. [...] Tripitaka began to recite again. Monkey was soon writhing and turning somersaults. He grew purple in the face and his eyes bulged out of his head. Tripitaka, unable to bear the sight of such agony, stopped reciting, and at once Monkey's head stopped hurting.
'You've been putting a spell upon me,' he said.
'Nothing of the kind,' said Tripitaka. I've only been reciting the Scripture of the Tight Fillet.'
'Start reciting again,' said Monkey. When he did so, the pain began at once.
'Stop, stop!' screamed Monkey. 'Directly you begin, the pain starts; you can't pretend it's not you that are causing it.'
'In future, will you attend to what I say?' asked Tripitaka.
'Indeed I will,' said Monkey.
'And never be troublesome again?' said Tripitaka.
'I shouldn't dare,' said Monkey. So he said, but in his heart there was still lurking a very evil intent. He took out his cudgel and rushed at Tripitaka, fully intending to strike. Much alarmed, the Master began to recite again, and monkey fell writhing upon the ground; the cudgel dropped from his hand.
'I give in, I give in!' he cried
'Is it possible,' said Tripitaka, 'that you were going to be so wicked as to strike me?'
'I shouldn't dare, I shouldn't dare,' groaned Monkey. 'Master, how did you come by this spell?'
'It was taught me by an old woman whom I met just now,' said Tripitaka.
'Not another word!' said Monkey. 'I know well enough who she was. It was the Bodhisattva Kuan-yin. How dare she plot against me like that? Just wait a minute while I go to the Southern Ocean and give her a taste of my stick.'
'As it was she who taught me the spell,' said Tripitaka, 'she can presumably use it herself. What will become of you then?'
Monkey saw the logic of this, and kneeling down he said contritely, 'Master, this spell is too much for me. Let me go with you to India. You won't need to be always saying this spell. I will protect you faithfully to the end.'
'Very well then,' said Tripitaka. 'Help me on to my horse.'
Very crestfallen, Monkey put the luggage together, and they started up again towards the west.

And much like in the original story, this guy seems like kind of an rear end. Perfect!

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 26, 2017

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Nice ride. Her eyes practically popped out of her head at it, hahaha.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Well, when Pigsy and Monkey first meet they did have a pretty big fight. Monkey won though, and I guess through the rest of the journey they have a sort of rivalry. I seem to remember they would often give Trip opposing solutions to obstacles on their journey.

It's sort of impossible to kill Monkey, because when he was working at the Jade Palace (as a lowly stable boy), he was already pretty powerful, and then he got pissed over his demeaning rank and made himself immortal like 5 times over by breaking into the emperor's goodies. Like, he ate peaches of immortality, then an elixir of eternal youth, then some stuff that made him invincible? I don't remember all the details, but as punishment the Jade Emperor's men locked him in a furnace where he burned at thousands of degrees for a very long time, and when he came out he just had a new tan due to all the stuff he ingested. Trying to kill him just wasn't in the cards since then!

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 31, 2017

• Locked thread