Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

In actual news I'm going flying for the first time a few months this weekend. Probably I should spend that time studying for/scheduling my written, but it's been like 3 months since I've been in an airplane so kinda missing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

dumbass question that's probably answered in FARs: can you log dual time flying as a non certificated pilot with a non-cfi pilot. (Hypothetical, really)

Like your buddy has a PPL but is not a CFI and you, with a student certificate, go flying with him? No, you can't log that. It's not instruction because he isn't a CFI, and it's not copilot time because you aren't certificated to fly with anyone who isn't a CFI.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

In actual news I'm going flying for the first time a few months this weekend. Probably I should spend that time studying for/scheduling my written, but it's been like 3 months since I've been in an airplane so kinda missing it.

My flight school might be opening in the next few weeks but still is holding off until official word from the county, which is fine, but every time I hear a small plane fly over I'm like aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaAa

my last logbook entry is March 9th

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 12, 2020

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

ausgezeichnet posted:

A friend of mine gave me access to the SWA pilots forum a million years ago and I check it it once in a while. It is mostly a MAGA wank-fest and yes, there is a Plandemic thread that currently has 69 posts about how the Gubmint conspiracy... Michael Flynn... Deep State... you get the picture. Not exclusively restricted to Boomer posters, though.

Well its good do know that the crazy boomer pilot airline-specific forums go south of the border too. Dear god some of these guys are so out of touch - if I have to hear one more old dude tell me all about how he knows about that furlough life because he got laid off from the DC3 in nineteen-dickety-four I may snap. Even at 14% their mortgage payments were a fraction of todays. And we're paid less today than they were then... Don't even get me started on the armchair epidemiologists.

I'm seriously thinking of stirring up the pot by going over there and proposing to the group that we quarantine all the pilots over 50, you know, for their protection. Us young'ns will look out for ya. Need to acquire a bowl of popcorn to watch the shitshow that would unleash :banjo:

/rant

Sagebrush posted:

my last logbook entry is March 9th

January 26th over here, and I allegedly do this for a living. Perfect storm of starting at a new company and some dude eating a bad batch of Bat Soup.

Desi fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 12, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The industry culture is going to massively change for the better in the next 5-10 years when all these old cantankerous fucks are forced to retire.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Desi posted:

Well its good do know that the crazy boomer pilot airline-specific forums go south of the border too. Dear god some of these guys are so out of touch - if I have to hear one more old dude tell me all about how he knows about that furlough life because he got laid off from the DC3 in nineteen-dickety-four I may snap. Even at 14% their mortgage payments were a fraction of todays. And we're paid less today than they were then... Don't even get me started on the armchair epidemiologists.

I'm seriously thinking of stirring up the pot by going over there and proposing to the group that we quarantine all the pilots over 50, you know, for their protection. Us young'ns will look out for ya. Need to acquire a bowl of popcorn to watch the shitshow that would unleash :banjo:

/rant

January 26th over here, and I allegedly do this for a living. Perfect storm of starting at a new company and some dude eating a bad batch of Bat Soup.

I bring up the fact that older pilots didn’t have to privately finance their pilot training for 20+ years like people are now. I took out a big stinking loan for this and the cost of doing it has almost doubled just since then. Then I get to hear about “millennials” all the god drat time like I wasn’t struggling financially the entirety of my twenties.

I still remember my boomer boss at an old job refusing to hire an already typed friend I referred because she was a she and “my wife would never let that happen!”

Yeah here’s hoping that girl half your age with twice the work ethic doesn’t throw it away by jumping on an old smoker who types with two fingers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Envoy's reactivating some all their parked metal at the start of next month: https://viewfromthewing.com/american-airlines-will-bring-parked-embraer-regional-jets-back-into-service-by-june-3/

Rolo posted:

I bring up the fact that older pilots didn’t have to privately finance their pilot training for 20+ years like people are now. I took out a big stinking loan for this and the cost of doing it has almost doubled just since then. Then I get to hear about “millennials” all the god drat time like I wasn’t struggling financially the entirety of my twenties.

I still remember my boomer boss at an old job refusing to hire an already typed friend I referred because she was a she and “my wife would never let that happen!”

Yeah here’s hoping that girl half your age with twice the work ethic doesn’t throw it away by jumping on an old smoker who types with two fingers.

I suddenly feel like it's somewhat miraculous that the one retired mainline guy who works for us as a Dispatch instructor is a genuinely cool dude it was a pleasure to spend time in our sim with trying to test fly our Redbird for a new class to see if the multi panel would fly sufficiently, a test it failed miserably.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
It’s smart. You can sell out the plane while still promising not to sell a single middle seat.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Captain Apollo posted:

Why not spend 30k on a 50k cherokee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's talk about Turbine Duke conversions.

With G600Txi/dual GTN 750s/GDL 69A/GSR 56.

I think the base airframe cost is like 175k. Add a mil to get a pair of PT6s on. Add another 100k for your glass cockpit.... Why not custom bass-boat candy-apple red paint with a silver/charcoal cheat stripe and interior to match?

ed: and for a third of that price you get 95% of the capability with a C90. Use the money you saved to get your paint!

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 14, 2020

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Aren’t dukes like the #1 maintenance hog/hangar queen ever?

BeechTalk has a famous one named Lazarus.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Conversely, Dukes are absolutely loving beautiful.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

it might not be the worst but my buddy’s Twin Comanche would be close.

He got it after he sold his 310 for being a maintenance nightmare lol.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Let's talk about Turbine Duke conversions.

With G600Txi/dual GTN 750s/GDL 69A/GSR 56.

I think the base airframe cost is like 175k. Add a mil to get a pair of PT6s on. Add another 100k for your glass cockpit.... Why not custom bass-boat candy-apple red paint with a silver/charcoal cheat stripe and interior to match?

ed: and for a third of that price you get 95% of the capability with a C90. Use the money you saved to get your paint!

The Cessnateur instagram account (which is a great follow, incidentally) posted a $120,000 C150 the other day. It has an O-320, the taildragger kit, a full G3X conversion and was repainted twice in two years.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAFlTxyjY32/

reminds me of the guys trying to sell a $6000 hardly-ableson on craiglist going I HAVE PUT MORE THAN $40,000.00 IN TO THIS BIKE. 38000 FIRM I KNOW WHAT I HAVE. MY LOST IS YOUR GAIN

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

I've only seen one in my life.... in a hangar the entire 3 months I was at that airport

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Conversely, Dukes are absolutely loving beautiful.

It is known.

My co-worker/buddy logged his first multi hours in a Duke because one of our senior instructors happened to be asked to ferry one to Victoria. Yeah I'm a bit jealous. Just cruising above the mountains instead of through them would have been a cool new experience...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DL's retiring the 777. What's the body count in terms of retired fleets due to COVID up to?

AA- 757, 767, E190, A330-300, CRJ-200
DL- MD-88, MD-90, 777
UA- ...don't think they've announced anything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delta apparently only ever had 18 777s which seems kind of wild to me. I thought they had a bunch more before the NW merger but evidently not? They're going to be all airbus long haul before too much longer at this rate.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
A lot of 747 fleets are getting accelerated retirement. A380 too possibly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta apparently only ever had 18 777s which seems kind of wild to me. I thought they had a bunch more before the NW merger but evidently not? They're going to be all airbus long haul before too much longer at this rate.

I think they had seven or eight in the original batch which was delivered in late 90s and early 2000. They picked up the LRs around 2010.

Both Delta and US Airways had small sub fleets of widebodies, with US Airways having the aforementioned A330-300s before adding -200s much later.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

CBJSprague24 posted:

DL's retiring the 777. What's the body count in terms of retired fleets due to COVID up to?

DL- MD-88, MD-90, 777

To add more North American context:
AC - E190, A319, 767 (from both AC and ACrouge)

And to be fair, A220 and 737Max deliveries continue as expected. As does the bringing online of A333s that have already been acquired, though as temporary freighters with seats removed.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

CBJSprague24 posted:

DL- MD-88, MD-90, 777

At UA we're parking a crapload of 757s and some 767s but they haven't decided if it's going to be permanent or not yet. They may sit in the desert for a year or two and come back, or they may not.

We're still taking 737 maxes this winter, though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

The Slaughter posted:

At UA we're parking a crapload of 757s and some 767s but they haven't decided if it's going to be permanent or not yet. They may sit in the desert for a year or two and come back, or they may not.

We're still taking 737 maxes this winter, though.

I had heard it was specifically the 764 fleet as they were getting ready to go for their C/D checks.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
They said in a call the other day that basically anything that requires heavy maintenance right now is going to the desert to save cash in the immediate timeframe.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

They said in a call the other day that basically anything that requires heavy maintenance right now is going to the desert to save cash in the immediate timeframe.

Unless it's a freight bird then the opposite is happening. :eng101:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

don’t worry soon enough we’ll pick those 777’s from the desert, convert them, and put them to good use flying rubber dog poo poo and dildos out of China for DHL and Amazon.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

don’t worry soon enough we’ll pick those 777’s from the desert, convert them, and put them to good use flying rubber dog poo poo and dildos out of China for DHL and Amazon.

nah we'll keep getting 3rd and 4th hand converted planes from Russia and the like, ATI will buy the "nice" second hand US carrier planes

My favorite thing is looking up the history of the tails while I'm waiting for ground crews to finish doing their thing.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

nah we'll keep getting 3rd and 4th hand converted planes from Russia and the like, ATI will buy the "nice" second hand US carrier planes

My favorite thing is looking up the history of the tails while I'm waiting for ground crews to finish doing their thing.

I flew Amazon One on it’s very first flight out of Seattle after it’s christening ceremony with Jeff Bezos. It was dripping water on me from the overhead panels.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Animal posted:

I flew Amazon One on it’s very first flight out of Seattle after it’s christening ceremony with Jeff Bezos. It was dripping water on me from the overhead panels.

Hmmm, that does indeed look like a plane that has had some history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rPQkvTes4

Is the green section is a deactivated door?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

lmfao amazing

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Hmmm, that does indeed look like a plane that has had some history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rPQkvTes4

Is the green section is a deactivated door?

no that's where sketchy/questionable major repairs or modifications are done to the original airframe.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 16, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
For a while, we flew a pair of Q400's that the airline had found for a really good price in China.

Once the airplanes got stateside, and our maintenance department started working on them, they quickly discovered that a large number of the caution and warning lights were simply disconnected from their respective sensors, and the airplanes had obviously skipped some maintenance, since they were spectacularly unreliable by Q400 standards, and the airline gave then back to Bombardier when the lease expired.

At this point, the Q400 was still selling fairly well and both of the airframes had a lot of life left in them (they weren't even halfway through the allowable number of cycles), but instead of re-leasing the airplanes or selling them, Bombardier simply scrapped both of them as soon as they could, so the assumption is that they discovered that the airframes had been seriously overstressed, to the point where they couldn't be made airworthy again.

I also flew what will probably be the last Q400 delivered to an airline in the US about a week after if was delivered, and in that time basically every single piece of trim on the flight deck and a bunch of the cabin fittings had to be re-secured after they fell off, so that was confidence inspiring.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What would it be like flying an airplane where cosmetic things like interior trim didn't just fall off from time to time?

Has anyone had this blessed experience? :v:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

What would it be like flying an airplane where cosmetic things like interior trim didn't just fall off from time to time?

Legend has it there was a 172 in my area where a radio fell out onto a student's knee during takeoff once.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Better than pulling the throttle back and the whole handle pops out.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

CBJSprague24 posted:

Legend has it there was a 172 in my area where a radio fell out onto a student's knee during takeoff once.

i haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

Oh my god thank you.

hahahahahahahaha

I totally see it happening to some chinese foreign student who just lets go of the yoke and holds the radio

hahahahahahahahah

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
So airline deadpool, I think Hawaiian, American and Jetblue are all in serious trouble. I mean, they're all in trouble, but those 3 in particular. Thoughts?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Didn't Compass already win the deadpool for 121 carriers? Or did Trans States beat them?

Out of the big 3 I think United is the most screwed. AA is close but went into this with a lot more cash in the bank.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Didn't Compass already win the deadpool for 121 carriers? Or did Trans States beat them?

Out of the big 3 I think United is the most screwed. AA is close but went into this with a lot more cash in the bank.

I believe they tied, but Trans States was getting offed in October anyway.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PT6A posted:

Be careful what you ask for. The Ameriflight Metroliners don't have any trim or interior bits falling out because they've all been removed entirely. There aren't even any seatback panels on the crew seats. When you step into the airplane it's just cargo floor and exposed ribs and wires. Facing forward, you're looking at springs and foam full of farts.

These airplanes are at an entropic low of "everything that can break has been removed" and still airworthy.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

The Slaughter posted:

So airline deadpool, I think Hawaiian, American and Jetblue are all in serious trouble. I mean, they're all in trouble, but those 3 in particular. Thoughts?

Why JetBlue? They don't seem more hosed than the rest of the industry (and I like them personally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Slaughter posted:

My thoughts: you either have anxiety issues, can't handle a volatile industry, and/or want other people to validate your freak out.

All airlines are in serious trouble if passenger count stays at 9% of what it was last year: https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

But it's increasing slowly.

PS: United is hosed the most.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 16, 2020