Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh in that case yeah just memorize what they want you to say.

This is a good one from my ATP written:

The question was, and I quote: “how many lines do you see?” Not how many are there but how many you, the test taker, see.

The correct answer was 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
The wiki page for Dead Reckoning has the following picture titled British P10 Magnetic Compass with dead reckoning navigation tools.

I like the WWII Fighter compass juxtaposed to the modern metal ASA E6B and that one lovely plotter that one forgetful student left on the dash on a hot day and nobody threw away so it lingers in the training center forever.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I hated those compasses. It'll point you in the general direction, but no more than that. Slightest movement in the plane makes it swing 30 degrees either side. Combined that with doing XC's in a Tiger Moth on a hot summers day and it's virtually useless. (No heading indicator).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One of my favourite skill testing questions for students is: if there exist magnetic compasses which don't give a horrific error every time you're not in perfectly unaccelerated flight, why do we still have the lovely ones?

"Because it's less expensive?"

Yep. That's the sort of thing it's important to understand if you plan to work in this industry :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rolo posted:

The question was, and I quote: “how many lines do you see?” Not how many are there but how many you, the test taker, see.

Was one of the other answers 10?

e: here's one from the sporty's test prep

besides the :downs: ordering, I am pretty sure that turbulence doesn't increase stall speed. Like I know what they're saying but the stall speed isn't changing, the instantaneous airspeed is just all over the place, right?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 18, 2020

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
The up and down motion will likely increase load factor which increases stall speed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rolo posted:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

hey look what's still around in the 23rd century

Kirk and Spock were the ultimate hipsters. Sure, today's hipsters use record players that are several decades old. Those guys went several centuries.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In what circumstance might you get the flashing white "go back to your parking space" light gun signal?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Sagebrush posted:

In what circumstance might you get the flashing white "go back to your parking space" light gun signal?

When ATC wants you to go back to your parking spot

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Pay your fuel bill.

Also: you forgot your towbar.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

a patagonian cavy posted:

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

:perfect:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

sanchez posted:

And then pick the answer you rote memorized because the UFP test is wrong.

Fuckin' :laffo:.

Sagebrush posted:

Trick question. On my night cross-country years ago, we asked the tower controller at Dayton to give us a signal so I could see the light gun in action. He insisted he was doing it, we never saw it.

"Cessna 68919, regardless of what signal I give you, Runway 24L, cleared to land."

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
New thread title: Aviation Megathread 10 | "Go back to your parking space"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

It makes less sense as part of an emergency procedure but it might be relevant for a pre-arranged NORDO flight out of a controlled airport where a flashing green would indicate "continue taxiing" rather than "go to parking." That's my only thought.

If you're thinking of light signals as strictly an emergency procedure, you'll also notice that the solid green on the ground makes very little sense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Trick question. On my night cross-country years ago, we asked the tower controller at Dayton to give us a signal so I could see the light gun in action. He insisted he was doing it, we never saw it.

Right near the beginning of my training I got to the airport one day and it was like 25G30 across the runway and figured we'd just do ground work, but my instructor kinda offhandedly said "this would be great crosswind taxiing practice" and I was like "hell yeah let's do that" so we puttered around for 20 minutes on the ground feeling the plane getting blown around and I have 0.3 hours logged with no landing. Anyway since no one was flying he also got the tower to demo the light gun. It was definitely visible, like a little LED blinking, but I doubt you'd notice it if you weren't looking right at the tower already.

PT6A posted:

It makes less sense as part of an emergency procedure but it might be relevant for a pre-arranged NORDO flight out of a controlled airport where a flashing green would indicate "continue taxiing" rather than "go to parking." That's my only thought.

If you're thinking of light signals as strictly an emergency procedure, you'll also notice that the solid green on the ground makes very little sense.

I came across a couple of notes in the chart supplement for some towered airport in Nebraska that mentioned a high volume of NORDO ops so I could imagine it happens. I just dunno what the point of "return to starting position" is other than "you hosed up, go home." I guess it could stand in for taxiing to parking, as you suggest.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"You need information that we can't reasonably convey via light gun"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

They could send it via Morse Code, but nobody would understand it.

I went down a TWA rabbit hole last night and found this video. I'm only partway through it but there's a trans-NYC VFR 727 repositioning flight which starts at about 8:45 which the crew seemed to have fun with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfQyztZzhc

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I see what you did there... ha.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Passed the written test with a 97% :wooper:

Plus I got in 8 pretty decent short field landings in the afternoon :wooper:

I also accidentally responded to a call that wasn't for me because the callsign got stepped on and the controller was UnBEElieEEEvaBLY SAAAR cAS TIc in response. Like "8XZ, I am SO. SORRY. 9XZ STAND. BY. DO NOT CALL UNTIL I. CALL. ON YOU." like yeah okay I hosed up but jesus, you can be professional about it :rolleyes:

I had assumed before I started flying that traffic controllers would be like the most perfect emotionless professional robots 100% of the time because, duh? The job seems like it would require it? But watching VASAviation videos and listening to the radio myself has been, uh, eye-opening

anyway 97%, woo, can't bring me down

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Hell yeah, that's awesome. Congrats.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Which test (wtg, regardless!)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

I had assumed before I started flying that traffic controllers would be like the most perfect emotionless professional robots 100% of the time because, duh?

Everyone snaps at a pilot once in awhile, but great controllers do it exceedingly rarely. There’s no reason for me to tie up my frequency even further, just to embarrass someone.

Grats on the written! I need to take mine. I started on my private in 1994 and still haven’t finished it.

:eng99:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah nice!

One of my students (technically inherited him from another instructor but still), after delaying an extra week because “I’m only getting 80s on the practice tests, I wanna see 90s” rolled in with a 42% on the exam :negative:.

Maybe he doesn’t test well, maybe he was bullshitting me about his practice test results, maybe he was just really really unlucky, but it’s just making me re-evaluate everything I’ve been doing lately.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Which test (wtg, regardless!)

Thanks! Just the PPL airplane test.

The two questions I got wrong were apparently one about ADS-B requirements and one weight and balance. The ADS-B one I just messed up (my airport is within a mode C veil so there's never been any question whether it's required :shrug: ), but I have no problem with W&B and blame it on it being one of those stupid graphs where they give you lines to trace for each loading station instead of the actual arm. The line I draw never seems to be the same place the question writer chose to draw it, and if you're off by a tenth of a millimeter it's all out the window, and the testing center wouldn't even let me bring in my mechanical pencil so I only had some dull HB and aaaaaa. Just give me the station arm and I'll do the math, I can even multiply and divide with the E-6B if you want

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Reztes posted:

Students are jerks

What proof do you require before giving your endorsement?

During COVID I won’t endorse unless I watch the student take the exam. Aka they use their phone to livestream themselves taking the test in their computer.

Once I see that their exam score is high enough for my comfort level, I endorse them.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
The old school I used in Ohio wouldn't endorse with anything less than 100% in the practice exams. It was slightly frustrating but they did have an excellent pass rate on the real deal.(!)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Everyone snaps at a pilot once in awhile, but great controllers do it exceedingly rarely. There’s no reason for me to tie up my frequency even further, just to embarrass someone.

Grats on the written! I need to take mine. I started on my private in 1994 and still haven’t finished it.

:eng99:

The NYC controllers can crush a pilot without missing a beat and still spit out a stream of clear instructions microseconds later.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If NY center gets fussy I just say “thanks Boston” when I switch over.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The best "controller loses their poo poo" I've heard in person was a notoriously grumpy ramp controller at SEA absolutely blowing up at an Alaska crew.

In an effort to ease congestion, SEA built a large expansion on one of their satellite terminals that was basically dedicated to Alaska, but since Alaska sucks at being an airline, they didn't bother hiring enough rampers to staff the gates, so there were still a ton of Alaska flights waiting to get into gates.

One evening, after having to send about five Alaska flights on laps around the terminal to wait for rampers to show up and having various gates blocked by a lack of rampers, the controller just blew up at the nest Alaska that called saying their gate didn't have rampers with something like "Alaska 123, you guys spent millions on new gates and didn't bother hiring rampers to actually use them, what the hell is going on over there!", to which the reply was dead silence.

This particular controller is good at what he does, but has an impressive temper, so I'm seriously expecting him to come charging down from the tower and stab someone one of these days.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrYenko posted:

Everyone snaps at a pilot once in awhile, but great controllers do it exceedingly rarely.

Unless it's Kennedy Steve. I consider him one of the best controllers I've ever heard and consider it a badge of honor that he yelled at me once.

Sagebrush posted:

Congrats fellow exam passer! :hfive: (I passed my probationary recurrent checkride a few hours ago)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Officially started ground school for my CPL(H) today. Wont actually go flying until I finish the current work project (13 more work days!).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My dad was a controller for 35+ years and got a stuck mike after giving some instructions to a bug smasher who had been causing him grief "... and if you had been where I'd loving told you to loving be I wouldn't have had to loving reroute you around all that you fucker!"

The 90s owned.

One student pilot who overheard it noted to their instructor "that controller was very assertive!"

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Is LPV considered a precision approach for the FAA?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Carth Dookie posted:

My dad was a controller for 35+ years and got a stuck mike after giving some instructions to a bug smasher who had been causing him grief "... and if you had been where I'd loving told you to loving be I wouldn't have had to loving reroute you around all that you fucker!"

I’ll amend what I said earlier by noting that controllers yell at LOTS of airplanes, but rarely on frequency. :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

Pretty sure they’re still considered an APV (approach with vertical guidance) in the AIM along with LNAV/VNAV. Non-precision even though you get vertical guidance down low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

Nope