Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

That's awesome to hear, your stories have so far been awesome and I am sure you will get a bunch of cool new ones!

All I ever get is "so, this is how my rental checkout tried to kill me today."

It's been a hell of a ride, and its pretty much documented entirely in this thread from into-flight to today!

If I reminisce for a second:
2011-2013 - Training
2013-2016 - SEL Teaching
2016-2017 - MEL/IFR Teaching
2017-2017 - (6mo) MU2 Air Ambulance FO
2017-2018 - CRJ Regional FO
2018-2020 - CRJ Regional CA
2020-2020 - (3mo) Furloughed Mainline A330 FO
2020-Now - CRJ UN CA/FO in Africa

And don't discount those instructing war stories! They're great conversation fodder! I find with other pilots that are former instructors we all just start one-upping each others absurdity til we all just wind up looking at each other and wondering how we're still alive. With pilots that have never instructed it entertaining from an absurdity point of view. And with non-aerosexuals its just fun to watch them go wide-eyed as I chuckle.

Animal posted:

Oh poo poo what a plot twist!

Was not expecting it at all myself! I had started working as a FedEx driver and was quite content doing that for the duration of furlough (I'm ballparking 2 years with my lack of seniority) when a friend hooked this up.

Captain Apollo posted:

Flying for the UN sounds really cool.

No regrets on getting married but man, this is the stuff I thought I’d be doing as a kid.

I hear you! When I was doing the interview I remember saying that I had always been told to chase a seniority number at a big outfit, and having gotten there I was a little disappointed looking back on my aviation career trajectory so far and seeing how little time I spent in the "adventure phase." Don't get me wrong, super happy to have a number on the roster at the Big Show, but I got into aviation late and was always hustling to the next step and didn't enjoy the ride. This is my chance to change that. One of the things about having worked previously at a, uh, lets say 'less than stellar' and 'now bankrupt' regional is that you meet pilots that have all sorts of crazy backstories. We had MiG guys, folks who flew Caravans in Indonesia, some that flew Twin Otters in the Maldives, others that did this UN work in Africa. I always was a little envious of their stories.

Rickety Cricket posted:

That's really cool. I lived in west Africa as a kid, parents have since had subsequent tours in central and west Africa. Always wanted to fly around the continent. Really look forward to hearing about it!

I'll definitely be posting! I want to document as much of this adventure as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Desi posted:

I hear you! When I was doing the interview I remember saying that I had always been told to chase a seniority number at a big outfit, and having gotten there I was a little disappointed looking back on my aviation career trajectory so far and seeing how little time I spent in the "adventure phase." Don't get me wrong, super happy to have a number on the roster at the Big Show, but I got into aviation late and was always hustling to the next step and didn't enjoy the ride. This is my chance to change that. One of the things about having worked previously at a, uh, lets say 'less than stellar' and 'now bankrupt' regional is that you meet pilots that have all sorts of crazy backstories. We had MiG guys, folks who flew Caravans in Indonesia, some that flew Twin Otters in the Maldives, others that did this UN work in Africa. I always was a little envious of their stories.

That's how I feel everytime I see something about bush pilots in the Kalahari. I looked into while I was instructing but ended up sticking with the CFI route as it was the fastest way into an RJ. Instructing was fun and all, but *everyone* does it. Flying around Botswana and Namibia for a couple years would have been awesome life experience, and it makes me sad that (hopefully) that window has closed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

Any idea what he was doing that set that all off? I've heard of people basically taking bribes to pass people at the various foreign pilot mills in the southwest, but I didn't think there were many of those in Ohio.

Somebody did some internet detective work and posted on the Ohio Pilots Facebook Group that he was doing checkrides without actually having passed a checkride himself.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody did some internet detective work and posted on the Ohio Pilots Facebook Group that he was doing checkrides without actually having passed a checkride himself.

How did he manage that? You have to be in the FAA system to be able to issue licenses when tests are passed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That's what I was wondering.

All I can figure is that he somehow signed himself off for the checkride when he was working for the FSDO, but I don't know how that would have worked when he left and became an independent DPE.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks for steering me clear of a garmin aera previously. Will I regret buying an ipad mini? Barring some very unexpected windfall, I'm never going to be in anything bigger than a twin piston (if that), so space does seem kind of at a premium.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah the mini will be great for that. I use my full size work iPad now when I’m flying GA stuff and it’s too big (but the price was right)

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Mini us a great size for flying as a knee board. If you don’t plan on having it strapped, the standard iPad may be better.

I also like the iPad that works with Apple Pencil for copying notes down and being paperless.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Mini and pencil

MINI AND PENCIL

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I have the most recent mini (iPad mini 5) and it runs ForeFlight great. Pretty sure they’re refreshing to another version this year.

While you’re spending money, get or buy an ADSB receiver too. loving life changing.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
+1 for a Mini with Foreflight, I use a yoke mount. Get one with cellular service so you can file flight plans and check weather from anywhere.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sanchez posted:

+1 for a Mini with Foreflight, I use a yoke mount. Get one with cellular service so you can file flight plans and check weather from anywhere.

Also get the cellular one even if you don’t plan to use cellular. The built in GPS on the iPad only comes on the cellular model.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

Also get the cellular one even if you don’t plan to use cellular. The built in GPS on the iPad only comes on the cellular model.

And you can get 2gigs on t-mobile for $10/month prepaid whenever you really actually want some data.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Still drives me loving insane that I can't get a second SIM card and just have the iPad share data with my phone, since I never use up my phone's data cap anyway.

It's a fuckin racket

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Still drives me loving insane that I can't get a second SIM card and just have the iPad share data with my phone, since I never use up my phone's data cap anyway.

It's a fuckin racket

The per sim cost is because each tower has a limited number of radios they can talk to at the same time so they are legitimately taking more resources.

If you have a real enterprise plan the cost is $5 or less per sim of course, but they're never "free".

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

It's a fuckin racket

I have t-mobile and 10gb of hotspot included a month for my phone and my iPad automatically connects to it. Tethering on the iPad has gotten a lot better in the last few years.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

hobbesmaster posted:

The per sim cost is because each tower has a limited number of radios they can talk to at the same time so they are legitimately taking more resources.

If you have a real enterprise plan the cost is $5 or less per sim of course, but they're never "free".

Google Fi will ship data only SIMs to your door that share a plan with your phone for free.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Today was great. I had a perfect cage break right at the indicated DME!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

First solo done!. Glad to have gotten that out of the way!.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ImplicitAssembler posted:

First solo done!. Glad to have gotten that out of the way!.

That's awesome, congratulations! You're already fixed-wing licensed, correct? How did this compare to your first first-solo?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

PT6A posted:

That's awesome, congratulations! You're already fixed-wing licensed, correct? How did this compare to your first first-solo?

The procedure is a little different.
First we picked up some weight bags and flew into the infield and dropped them.
The instructor spent the first 30 mins beating me up on landings. Pick-up, land, pick-up, land. That last 1.5' of the landing is my biggest issue at the moment.
Then he jumped out, loaded the weights and had me pick up and land 3 times.
Unloaded the bags, he jumped back in and we flew 3 circuits, before he jumped out again, loaded the bags and let me do a circuit on my own.

The attitude in the hover (and slow flight) is radically different without the extra person, which is why they make you hover/land a few times first.

The circuit itself is simpler. We fly lower/tighter (and at our airfield, more of a triangle).
You can fly the approach as slow as you like. Sure, ideally, it should be a constant deceleration from cruise to 0 over the landing spot, but for first solo purposes, you take all the time you need and I took it pretty slow :). I think this is really the main difference. Same with touching down. You can take all the time you need.

The solo circuit itself, it was just a big blur. I was honestly worried that he wouldn't let me go, as my landings weren't awesome and I was probably more anxious than I normally would be. Also my first fixed wing solo was 20 years ago and I had a 15 year break between the last time as PIC and today.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Actually, one huge difference as I'm prepping for my first nav trip...any note taking will have to be done left handed. (So I'm now practicing at least writing down numbers left handed).

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Sounds like United just killed ExpressJet, since they decided to pull their E145 flying, and Republic may furlough 1000 pilots and is closing two bases.

Not a good time for regionals...

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 31, 2020

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
933 furlough notices and 403 downgrade notices. Got my downgrade email but am high enough to at least still have a job. What a day.

RIP xjet :(

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I got my WARN letter this week. Unless congress decides to stimulate us again, or the union and company come to some sort of agreement to mitigate furloughs, I'll probably get F'ed. I guess it's better than what's happened/will happen to a lot of other pilots.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
This is cute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8MV_GBCXM4

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
SKY BUDDIES

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:yayclod:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
ITT post tour folding bicycles that will fit in my Cherokee.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Captain Apollo posted:

brompton

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

paging e.pilot

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

Hi

e:
also page 172

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 5, 2020

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Need more details there e.pilot

Looks like some assembly required???

Found a video with a Cherokee and a brompton!!

https://youtu.be/-3x5wl41NXg

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 5, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s a bike friday pocket rocket, it’s a good bike even by normal bike standards. I have a whole pile of KOMs across the country on it even. It takes all of 5 minutes to assemble and disassemble.

e:
Bromptons are good if you’re not worried about a real bike experience and just want something to get around on when you land at an airport, that’s not to say they’re bad bikes, it just depends what you’re looking for out of the bike I guess.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 5, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I love ACARS snark. Every so often, one of my friends at a regional would get ACARS messages like "ASK KATIE WHEN SHE'S GOING TO BAKE US A PIE IF SHE'S THERE. ATC SAYS WE CAN GO."

The oh by the way part pertinent to the flight made me laugh.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
We don't have ACARS, but we occasionally get entertaining remarks added to our dispatch releases.

Best one so far was "DIE HARD IS A CHRISTMAS MOVIE. Y/N", on a 6am departure on Christmas day.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

azflyboy posted:

We don't have ACARS, but we occasionally get entertaining remarks added to our dispatch releases.

Best one so far was "DIE HARD IS A CHRISTMAS MOVIE. Y/N", on a 6am departure on Christmas day.

I suppose better than "YOU SEEN DIE HARD 2? HAVE FUN IN WASHINGTON. CONFIRM FUEL LOAD"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Stumbled upon the new(er) Airplane Repo (not the original one which was an actual documentary) on Discovery and I'd forgotten how loving horrible it was.

The one episode I tried years ago showed a repo out of Orlando that the repo men just missed, so they "tracked" it to "PHL", which was clearly DAB (given the Speedway still had its backstretch grandstand at the time which was clearly visible). This one involves some sort of Cessna RG being repoed mid-flight where the guy was looking for a plane with a lightning bolt on it, is going "flying for the first time", and is somehow going to commandeer the plane during the supposed discovery flight. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Stumbled upon the new(er) Airplane Repo (not the original one which was an actual documentary) on Discovery and I'd forgotten how loving horrible it was.

The one episode I tried years ago showed a repo out of Orlando that the repo men just missed, so they "tracked" it to "PHL", which was clearly DAB (given the Speedway still had its backstretch grandstand at the time which was clearly visible). This one involves some sort of Cessna RG being repoed mid-flight where the guy was looking for a plane with a lightning bolt on it, is going "flying for the first time", and is somehow going to commandeer the plane during the supposed discovery flight. :wtc:

Heres an article about the real thing: https://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/ownership/airplane-repo-true-stories/?page=0,1