Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

I love this. Regional airlines are such a stupid business model, I hope they cease to exist in the next 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Animal posted:

I love this. Regional airlines are such a stupid business model, I hope they cease to exist in the next 5 years.

The even more entertaining part is that even with the meltdown, Horizon is flying almost their entire schedule, while Alaska is cancelling 4-8% of their flights every day because they can't hire or retain pilots.

Those cancellations have been going for months, and management is running out of things to blame, which lead to them seriously blaming a bunch of on cancellations on "the calendar changed months" last week.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Crosspost from business travel thread: https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1526602621938802689

I would paste the article content but don't want to run afoul of :filez: rules. Be careful in the sky goonfriends.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 17, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Here's a non-paywalled version from a paper I would consider worthy of more than emergency toilet paper, so it's a win-win!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/17/china-air-crash-that-killed-132-may-have-been-deliberate-says-us-report

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017
Did anything change in the industry after the Germanwings pilot suicide in 2015?

quote:

In order to improve the reporting of mental illness in pilots, investigators addressed 11 safety recommendations to WHO, IATA, the European Commission, EASA, BMVI and BÄK. The outlined provisions address the medical evaluation of pilots with mental health issues, routine analysis of in-flight incapacitation, mitigation of the consequences of loss of license, antidepressant medication and flying status, balance between medical confidentiality and public safety, and the promotion of pilot support programs.

Did the FAA come out with anything?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
As a result of Germanwings, the FAA now allows pilots to take antidepressants, but the approval process is so convoluted and restrictive (you're grounded for several months any time you stop, start, or change meds) that there's almost certainly still a massive number of pilots flying around with undiagnosed or untreated mental health issues.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think the other consideration is that driving a plane into the ground is not a normal means of killing yourself if you're suicidally depressed. Like mass shooters who plan to die via suicide-by-cop, it's an inherently aggressive and unspeakably malicious action; it's not really caused by depression, but rather by other issues.

You don't take 100+ strangers with you because you think life isn't worth living and you can't see a way out; you do it because you want to kill people. That's a mental health issue for sure, but I wouldn't leap to "depression" as the primary mental health issue at play just because it involves suicide.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Animal posted:

Yeah its great to drown out the SJW/feminazi/vaccine mandate bullshit with a nice history podcast

lol did you seriously just try to "both sides" this by implying 60+ year old airline captains go on SJW rants

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

I think the other consideration is that driving a plane into the ground is not a normal means of killing yourself if you're suicidally depressed. Like mass shooters who plan to die via suicide-by-cop, it's an inherently aggressive and unspeakably malicious action; it's not really caused by depression, but rather by other issues.

You don't take 100+ strangers with you because you think life isn't worth living and you can't see a way out; you do it because you want to kill people. That's a mental health issue for sure, but I wouldn't leap to "depression" as the primary mental health issue at play just because it involves suicide.

You're 100% correct, but the FAA's attitudes towards mental health treatments of any kind are horrifically outdated, so it's probably just blind luck that the US hasn't had a large scale murder-suicide by airplane yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rekinom posted:

lol did you seriously just try to "both sides" this by implying 60+ year old airline captains go on SJW rants

What do you think "SJW rants" are?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rekinom posted:

I'm gonna assume he meant "rants about 'SJWs' and feminazis, etc." rather than they are SJWs and are ranting.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

I'm gonna assume he meant "rants about 'SJWs' and feminazis, etc." rather than they are SJWs and are ranting.

This.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
oh ok, the way the convo was flowing it read the other way.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well after a year of my Atlas application being “under review”, it has disappeared from the dashboard.

Guess I can make another one now that I have another type, more turbine PIC and some oceanic stuff.

Atlas dudes in the thread still happy?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
You didn’t update it with that info? poo poo dog I update my apps weekly.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Well after a year of my Atlas application being “under review”, it has disappeared from the dashboard.

Guess I can make another one now that I have another type, more turbine PIC and some oceanic stuff.

Atlas dudes in the thread still happy?

Yeah, I’m doing pretty well now that they fixed LTD and 401k. Let me know if you wanna apply again so I can refer you and get a bonus.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bob A Feet posted:

You didn’t update it with that info? poo poo dog I update my apps weekly.

I’ve been dragging my feet since switching airplanes in September and having a QoL spike. I know it’s dumb to not get seniority asap but I’m on what I’m calling my last not-121 gig, which is almost entirely 91 vacation flying to the islands, out west and now Europe. It’s been good international jet time, wonderful places and bankrolled alcohol. The families are also easy to work with and I have a FA for most of it.

I know nothing gold can stay on this side, so when I’m ready to do bigger trips and have a more predictable schedule (or this job changes) I’m still planning Big Cargo. The whole “live anywhere while seeing everywhere” thing is basically how I want to spend my early midlife. I already have my REI dad pants and Merrells ready to go.

Animal posted:

Yeah, I’m doing pretty well now that they fixed LTD and 401k. Let me know if you wanna apply again so I can refer you and get a bonus.

I absolutely will. Thank you.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Animal posted:

There is no reason to pay for a type rating. The only operations that will require you pay for a type rating are exactly the kind of people you will regret working for.

Pretty sure Ryanair make you pay for the type rating. They also make you pay just for the job interview.
Uniforms, and you don't get airport security passes and have to go through the pax queue.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hail Satan (again!)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've heard Skywest demand a different squawk code after they got something starting with 666.

The controller was clearly wondering what the hell was wrong with that crew, but told them he'd get them a new code... which also started with 666.

At that point one of the flight attendants had to come up to see what we were laughing so hard at.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
wear your 666 squawks with pride :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

6-6-6, the number of the beast, when you're on this code, you've been IFR released.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Lmao

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Squawk 666 and repent

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I had a GA pilot in a cirrus with a 666xx tail number get auto assigned a 666 code, and he responded “squawk four six six six, November six six six juliet sierra hail satan.”

That guy loving rules.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Rolo posted:

Squawk 666 and repent

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

“squawk four six six six, November six six six juliet sierra hail satan.”

Thread title?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

Squawk 666 and repent

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hobbesmaster posted:

Thread title?

Yes indeed.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Does anyone have any recs for a flight school near chicago (at PWK)?

I just learned (it's because I'm dumb) that I don't need to pass my FAA written exam in order to start like practical flight lessons. Hmm but do I need to pass my physical?

anyway tia

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pretty sure it’s still medical certificate (physical) to be able to solo, then written to be able to take your check ride that gives you your private pilot cert. go nuts until you plan to do your solo.

It’s how people can do introductory flights and log the time without any previous thought on the subject.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

captainOrbital posted:

I just learned (it's because I'm dumb) that I don't need to pass my FAA written exam in order to start like practical flight lessons. Hmm but do I need to pass my physical?

anyway tia

Don't start anything until you've done your medical, unless you're confident that you don't have issues that could trip you up.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

captainOrbital posted:

anyway tia

Hey man. I fly out of PWK. I like saying that sentence because it sounds cool but I’m a student too. I’ll PM you later.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Inner Light posted:

Hey man. I fly out of PWK. I like saying that sentence because it sounds cool but I’m a student too. I’ll PM you later.

Awesome, ty

and incidentally if you know a doc that can do the FAA cert, I haven't found one yet

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
The link is correct, but you should be searching for designee Type AME - airman medical examiner.

I’ll also slightly disagree and say get through an intro flight and maybe 3 hours before bothering just to be sure you’re into it.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Somebody forgot to check the NOTAMS

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bidens-secure-location-rehoboth-beach-secret-service/

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

A C-172 vs. two F-15s.

Seems fair.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m imagining that Simpsons where they can’t keep up with the Wright Bros plane because they’re going like 800mph too fast so they get out and walk after it.

This whole forum is dorks I know you all know the one I’m talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’m imagining that Simpsons where they can’t keep up with the Wright Bros plane because they’re going like 800mph too fast so they get out and walk after it.

This whole forum is dorks I know you all know the one I’m talking about.

e.pilot for sure knows