Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Burden posted:

2. I have no clue how their software works or how they keep track of people manually. It sounds like a giant headache and I hope the crew schedulers get paid handsomely for having to track people manually and wait for them to call in.
I am not a crew scheduler, but at my airline when an event like this happens where diversions, cancelations, etc happen we know exactly where crew members are. A flight diverts, the aircraft and crew members that are operating that flight go with it and when the diversion is built, the airline knows that they are at the new airport. All the systems talk to each other and it's for the most part automatic as to where crews are.

Southwest's crew scheduling system just shunts crew member locations forward according to the planned schedule, it can't handle any flight changes. In the event of any cancellation, delay, diversion the crew members have to call up scheduling and let them know where they are. People are speculating this contributed to the meltdown.

Arson Daily posted:

That's like, not true at all

Is this not accurate? I've heard alot that SWA crew locations have to be updated manually.

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

That's like, not true at all

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Burden posted:

1. This is their IATA code. American Airlines is AA

The obvious IATA Code “SW” was already taken by the time Southwest formed. So WN was a cheeky play at Northwest Airlines, who were NW.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Hi guys - I'm hoping to get into aviation this year.

In addition to Microsoft flight simulator, I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for peripherals to complete the simulator (yokes, seats, controls etc.)

I read the OP and the first 10 pages and couldn't find mention of anything.

Thanks!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Why not save money and not buy all that and use it for flying lessons?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Hi guys - I'm hoping to get into aviation this year.

In addition to Microsoft flight simulator, I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for peripherals to complete the simulator (yokes, seats, controls etc.)

I read the OP and the first 10 pages and couldn't find mention of anything.

Thanks!

Flight simulator won’t help you. I flew with it a bit in the beginning but the physical model isn’t helpful to real world conditions. You need the seat of your pants feel that you get in an actual airplane to properly fly it.

Flight simulator is good for practicing IFR related work. But starting out nothing can replace the time you spend in an actual cockpit. Strongly recommend you save your money for flight lessons.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016

Kraftwerk posted:

Flight simulator won’t help you. I flew with it a bit in the beginning but the physical model isn’t helpful to real world conditions. You need the seat of your pants feel that you get in an actual airplane to properly fly it.

Flight simulator is good for practicing IFR related work. But starting out nothing can replace the time you spend in an actual cockpit. Strongly recommend you save your money for flight lessons.

Sure I understand this sentiment, believe me.

I have scheduled a 2 week immersive course in August this year, between now and then I was hoping to study and practice intensely. I live in a place where piecemeal flights with an instructor get canceled all the time for weather.

I really think supplementing my ground school study and prepwork with a home simulator in my basement would help

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It'll help with procedures, not the actual flying. It was real useful for me for navigation, but I don't think anyone still uses paper maps in the US anyway.
All you need is a basic Logitech 3D joystick.
Don't spend too much time/money on it before you get post solo, as you're more likely to pick up bad habits.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cardiacarrest123 posted:

I live in a place where piecemeal flights with an instructor get canceled all the time for weather.

Earth?

*looks at sad December flight instructing paycheques*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cardiacarrest123 posted:

I have scheduled a 2 week immersive course in August this year, between now and then I was hoping to study and practice intensely. I live in a place where piecemeal flights with an instructor get canceled all the time for weather.

I really think supplementing my ground school study and prepwork with a home simulator in my basement would help

When you say "getting into aviation" do you mean actually getting a license? What is the 2-week course -- one of those places where they purport to get you to a PPL in two weeks of flying 6 hours a day?

I was a huge flight sim/airplane nerd before I started to fly for real and I would say about 5% of the skills that you will develop on your own transfer over (to a PPL at least). Knowing the names of the different parts of the plane and of each instrument was about it. Once you start training in earnest, a simulator can be useful to practice procedures -- what should my configuration be at this point in the pattern, what radio calls do I make here, etc. But you can do all of that with a 40 dollar joystick or even a gamepad.

A friend asked me once if practicing landings in the simulator made me better at landing in real life. No, not really -- not the stick and rudder part. It doesn't seem to transfer over that way. But learning to land in real life absolutely made me better at doing it in the sim, lol.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

yea seriously, don't bother with the sim until you start an instrument rating

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

yellowD posted:

yea seriously, don't bother with the sim until you start an instrument rating

Or do, but recognize that it's for fun and it ain't really going to help you.

Half of us probably started with sims, if not more.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Back to Southwest for a minute- is their scheduling system that melted down the same one that doesn't allow them to fly redeyes because it doesn't understand a flight can depart XXX and arrive YYY at ZZ:ZZam +1?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Possibly? They don't fly redeyes because they haven't decided to yet, but the flight releases still give times in UTC, local, and "herb" (central) time because there are plenty of pilots still basing their whole schedule off of central time. The scheduling system is cutting edge if you took a time machine back to TYOOL 2000 or so. Never forget to tell your friends that the current CEO was the VP of IT for a really long time before he got the call to run the company, a fact that most media doesn't know yet!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Arson Daily posted:

Possibly? They don't fly redeyes because they haven't decided to yet, but the flight releases still give times in UTC, local, and "herb" (central) time because there are plenty of pilots still basing their whole schedule off of central time. The scheduling system is cutting edge if you took a time machine back to TYOOL 2000 or so. Never forget to tell your friends that the current CEO was the VP of IT for a really long time before he got the call to run the company, a fact that most media doesn't know yet!

What I want to know is if this is the reason why they stopped geoblocking folks from accessing southwest.com from outside the US, like two years ago.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Groda posted:

What I want to know is if this is the reason why they stopped geoblocking folks from accessing southwest.com from outside the US, like two years ago.

my friend i would get so mad trying to use southwest.com via a VPN back in 2017 or so when I would try to check flight schedules when I was in the middle east or Asia or anywhere else not with a US IP. drove me crazy because I'd have to get my wife to look since she was in the US. There was a video recently put out by the CEO and COO where someone asked why they don't accept foreign currency and the answer was that it was because they don't go to those places yet. Meaning that if you're anywhere in the world that American currency isn't used you're SOL if you want to buy a ticket on Southwest. Ya know, god forbid you're a canadian snowbird wanting to get to Phoenix or a British person wanting to go from Austin to El Paso or a Mexican wanting to go from Chicago Midway to Mexico City or Cancun or even Detroit. Just dumb af decisions because VP's in Dallas cant imagine foreigners wanting to fly on America's biggest domestic airline

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cardiacarrest123 posted:

unless you’re under the close supervision of a CFI I can promise you it won’t

cardiacarrest123 posted:

your being dead set on getting a sim and how
helpful you think it’ll be leads me to believe you don’t

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 3, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Playing sims somewhat seriously will eventually help in many ways. Not really direct control of the plane, though. It’s hard to explain. Sims got me to skip ground school and ace written tests but I’ve pounded thousands of hours. But that’s playing in VATSIM and PilotEdge and going hard on theory in sims, not just cruising around. It might’ve honestly been cheaper to just fly for real, and way faster.

I do remember using MSFS photogrammetry to practice my check ride visually with landmarks.

If you wanna play sims, play sims. We got lots of threads. But like said, it’s probably a sidequest as you are learning. There’s a lot to take in and initial skills are very non-simmy.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 3, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It worked for Richard Russell.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

cardiacarrest123 posted:

The only thing a sim did to help me get my PPL was when I struggled with a particular topic and a CFI demonstrated to me using the sim why my hangups were false. Technically that one was free. I got to watch it in stream and I had very specific takeaways I was looking for.

Trying to use the sim to learn how to fly a plane without ever having flown one yourself is gonna suck up your time and money while giving you a shitload of bad habits.

You need to understand that when you’re learning a new skill such as flying you are forging circuits in your brain that never existed before. If you learn it wrong the first time a thing called “primacy” kicks in where you will do the wrong thing habitually because it’ll feel more “right” than the right thing.

It’s best you learn your poo poo the right way, the first time with a CFI in an actual airplane. This is optimal. The sim is just a game unless a CFI is trying to teach you something or you’re working on IFR rating.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
So I’ve been up twice with a CFI. I loved flying when I took the controls both times.

I had planned to take lessons as frequently as my schedule and the weather would allow, but where I live the weather interfered so much over the winter that I felt like I couldn’t possibly advance In learning. Hence why I got interested in taking a 2 week immersive course. I already lined up my vacation for it. One of the things that seems most overwhelming is the checkout procedure and talking to ATC before takeoff and landing.

I was hoping to build a sim that would let me do repetitions of pre flight procedures (and then do some flying of course because I think that’s fun and my 7 year old does too). A sim that can teach me good IFR habits and one that throws system failures at me to practice figuring out too. Does this still seem like a waste of time ? Maybe there isn’t a flight sim that lets you practice in flight emergencies idk

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

cardiacarrest123 posted:

So I’ve been up twice with a CFI. I loved flying when I took the controls both times.

I had planned to take lessons as frequently as my schedule and the weather would allow, but where I live the weather interfered so much over the winter that I felt like I couldn’t possibly advance In learning. Hence why I got interested in taking a 2 week immersive course. I already lined up my vacation for it. One of the things that seems most overwhelming is the checkout procedure and talking to ATC before takeoff and landing.

I was hoping to build a sim that would let me do repetitions of pre flight procedures (and then do some flying of course because I think that’s fun and my 7 year old does too). A sim that can teach me good IFR habits and one that throws system failures at me to practice figuring out too. Does this still seem like a waste of time ? Maybe there isn’t a flight sim that lets you practice in flight emergencies idk

I'd use that money for flight lessons, unless the sim is gonna be a hobby in itself. There's nothing wrong with that, flight sims are fun and a lot of us play them.

If the only reason is to improve your flight training, you'll be wasting a lot of money and time.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
I’m an anesthesiologist we build realistic simulators in mock operating rooms to practice intraoperative emergencies, and actually a lot of our safety literature draws parallels to the safety culture of aviation . I want to do this as safely as possible so that was another reason I was looking into simulation to practice whichever parts of flying that lend themselves well to simulation

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

cardiacarrest123 posted:

I’m an anesthesiologist we build realistic simulators in mock operating rooms to practice intraoperative emergencies, and actually a lot of our safety literature draws parallels to the safety culture of aviation . I want to do this as safely as possible so that was another reason I was looking into simulation to practice whichever parts of flying that lend themselves well to simulation

The only stuff that I can see a simulator being useful is to practice instrument procedures. My advice is that you wait until after you have your private pilots license and are about to begin your instrument rating training and then reconsider this sim idea at that point.

edit: again, if you wanna do the sim thing because you think its cool and you are gonna enjoy it in its own right, go for it. Don't do it out of a belief that it will be beneficial for your training. It'll just as likely create bad habits that some poor instructor is gonna have to make you un-learn. Some of us have been flying airplanes for most of our lives, and are telling you that it just doesn't work that way.

Animal fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 3, 2023

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016

Animal posted:

The only stuff that I can see a simulator being useful is to practice instrument procedures. My advice is that you wait until after you have your private pilots license and are about to begin your instrument rating training and then reconsider this sim idea at that point.

edit: again, if you wanna do the sim thing because you think its cool and you are gonna enjoy it in its own right, go for it. Don't do it out of a belief that it will be beneficial for your training. It'll just as likely create bad habits that some poor instructor is gonna have to make you un-learn. Some of us have been flying airplanes for most of our lives, and are telling you that it just doesn't work that way.

Ok noted. what are your thoughts on a 2 week immersive course to get the PPL as a jumping off point ?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Ok noted. what are your thoughts on a 2 week immersive course to get the PPL as a jumping off point ?

Yeah those are great if you go to a good school with a good instructor. I used to teach in an accelerated course environment. But if you wanna give yourself a chance to complete the PPL and enjoy doing it, give yourself at least 20 days,

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cardiacarrest123 posted:

One of the things that seems most overwhelming is the checkout procedure and talking to ATC before takeoff and landing.

The preflight checks will become second nature and you will also have a literal physical checklist to go down as you do them. I don't see a flight simulator being useful for practicing that anyway. Can you even do a walkaround in MSFS? You certainly can't look for missing nuts or damaged tires.

The ATC stuff can be a challenge. I personally love talking on the radio because it makes me feel like a fighter pilot, but I know that a lot of people don't enjoy it. I am not sure how much a simulator will help with that. As I noted before, it can be useful for drilling what radio calls to make at what time. It isn't going to help you with what I think are the difficult parts, which are understanding what the tower just machine-gunned out over a garbled AM channel, making quick decisions and responses to a dynamic situation, and doing it all while operating a complicated machine and bouncing around in the air and squinting into the sun to find the guy the tower told you to follow. If you want to practice radio work, the best thing to do imo is just listen to a local small airport on liveatc.net. Get used to what the radio sounds like. Start to understand what calls are made and when. Pick one of the planes to be yourself, and when you hear tower call them, pause the stream and respond correctly. As other people have noted, though, this is going to be a lot more useful and make more sense when you're flying for real.

IFR procedures are appropriate to practice in a simulator but don't get ahead of yourself. You have plenty to learn for your PPL already.

In-flight emergency procedures may be a reasonable thing to practice in a simulator at some point. You don't need any special software -- you just say "ok engine failure" and pull out the throttle and do the procedure, just like your CFI will have you do in the plane. However, as other people have noted, I think you're getting ahead of yourself by trying to do this when you've only been up twice. Much of the challenge of learning to fly is building muscle memory for all of the things you have to do. When I was starting out, I was able to remember what I needed to do if I could stop to think about it -- but I couldn't stop to think about it because I was a half-mile from the runway and going 60 knots. When my body started to learn how to operate the plane automatically, freeing up my brain to handle the higher-level decision-making, that was when things started to click. You won't build the muscle memory properly in a low-fidelity simulator, by which I mean anything less than a 1:1 recreation of the inside of a Cessna 172. I am a professor of industrial design and I study the ergonomics of human interfaces professionally. I know how brains learn to perform tasks, and I know that if you start out training yourself wrong, you will be hurting yourself. A low-fidelity home sim is fine for reinforcing those neural pathways once they're established. Don't use it to create them or you risk just building bad habits.

All that said, you're an anesthesiologist so you can probably afford to build yourself a 1:1 C172 simulator anyway in which case I say lol go for it

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 3, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

honestly if you want to get ahead I'd just say to buy a copy of the PHAK, AFH and FAR/AIM and read the first two cover to cover, and for the latter read parts 23, 61, 67, and 91 and the AIM.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

honestly if you want to get ahead I'd just say to buy a copy of the PHAK, AFH and FAR/AIM and read the first two cover to cover, and for the latter read parts 23, 61, 67, and 91 and the AIM.

don’t even have to buy them, they’re free online

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/faa_regulations

https://www.faraim.org/sitemap.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah but a paper book is much easier to read when chilling out on the couch than a PDF imo.

also on my checkride oral when I pulled a physical copy of the FAR/AIM out of my tote bag of books to look something up, my old salty DPE smiled and said he was glad to see that i had a real book instead of a drat ipad app. :colbert:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
A well tabbed FAR/AIM is a checkride necessity, but he has a long way to go before he’s at that point.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Deeply skeptical someone could come out of a two week course and not have much more than robot-level skills.

Training flights are canceled due to the weather. Practicing/discussing the weather calls is an important skill that will keep you from not dying.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sitting in front of a screen drilling certain procedures and getting an idea of where the switches and knobs are for the plane they're flying might be helpful but I wouldn't start going too hard on that until they sit in the exact airplane they're going to train in.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I worked with a few test groups of student naval aviators as they began their primary flight training using VR simulators. It was part of a much larger navy program to increase our training efficacy. Anyway, we had several “VR sleds” (gaming computer, monitor, VR goggles, and flight controls) networked together and connected to some contract flight sim service that does ATC comms and direction.

The students overall did pretty well. Notably, their comms were ahead of a normal students. Maneuvers were nearly impossible to mimic in simulator and in some areas (aerobatics, stalls, spins) provided negative training. We learned to treat them as procedural and “numbers” trainers and a good area to practice comms. We also had identical computers, specifically designed aircraft models, and pretty standardized instruction inside a small group.

Unless you’re doing it as a hobby and love flight sims, I vote skip it. Simulators need to recreate the real environment to be effective or you’re going to have loads of negative transfer. Especially if you don’t have an instructor guiding you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Arson Daily posted:

Sitting in front of a screen drilling certain procedures and getting an idea of where the switches and knobs are for the plane they're flying might be helpful but I wouldn't start going too hard on that until they sit in the exact airplane they're going to train in.

there’s like 5 switches in a 172, they’ll be fine without the sim

learning switch location and flows for say a 747 in VR? now that’s actually useful

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Fair enuf

Also lol if you're not learning flows by taping a cockpit poster to wall and sitting in front of it like a weirdo

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 3, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Arson Daily posted:

Fair enuf

Also lol if you're not learning flows by taping a cockpit poster to wall and sitting in front of it like a weirdo

I wrote this then didn’t post it because I didn’t want people to call me old.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

I wrote this then didn’t post it because I didn’t want people to call me old.

I am this old

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also, not that I am super expert on things, but the US Army chopper school makes people fly some 5-10 hours first on a real chopper, then it pushes them into the simulator, with the idea that you gotta have some real flying in you to get the benefit out of sims. And these are fancier sims, too. I'm a pretty big believer in the same idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

I am this old

During my multi I learned flows by pointing to the poster with my right hand while bouncing a tennis ball with my left. That's how I was able to initially bridge the gap between knowing something in the briefing room and knowing something while monitoring other tasks. Also now I'm pretty good at eating burgers while driving.