Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Sportys still has the free 172 poster for all your chair flying needs
https://www.sportys.com/free-cessna-172-poster.html
Great snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Speaking of accelerated courses, there's a place called Blue Line Aviation advertising that one of their students got 7 ratings (PP/IR/COMM/Multi/CFI/CFII/MEI) in 5 months.

I call bullshit because even the Pilot Mill I started at had you planning for at least 9 to get through CFI.

Salami Surgeon posted:

Sportys still has the free 172 poster for all your chair flying needs
https://www.sportys.com/free-cessna-172-poster.html
Great snipe

I should have jacked obtained a set of CRJ-700 paper tigers from my last job for grins.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of accelerated courses, there's a place called Blue Line Aviation advertising that one of their students got 7 ratings (PP/IR/COMM/Multi/CFI/CFII/MEI) in 5 months.

I call bullshit because even the Pilot Mill I started at had you planning for at least 9 to get through CFI.

I should have jacked obtained a set of CRJ-700 paper tigers from my last job for grins.

RDU/JNX? I worked there when they were just starting out. I believe any “bullshit” accusations to be exactly that.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
The only way I could see that claim being true is someone who'd grown up around aircraft and had been flying/riding along for their whole life undocumented, then finally actually getting the paperwork done.

But I'd only expect this somewhere really backwoods, like the middle of Alaska or something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Or they just have several hundred hours of documented student pilot time.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Rolo posted:

Or they just have several hundred hours of documented student pilot time.

Yeah. Either way it's at best disingenuous to advertise that as possible for AB initio students

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Just got my flight review done after a 14 year hiatus. It started good then got rather rough on a few lessons last week, but then all clicked today and felt like a pilot again. Hoping to get some solo time in now to keep getting into the routine of things.

I thought I did the long solo cross country for the CPL requirements way back when. I don't know if it changed since or I just completely missed it, but I only went to an airport 250 nm from my origin. I did stop at two other places along the way, but they were basically in line so the total route doesn't add up to 300 nm. If I'm understanding things correctly, then I need to redo that before I can get back to training for CPL maneuvers. I went KCDC - KMLF - KDTA - KLGU.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Took this photo of a C-17 refueling over the Atlantic. I couldn't really find a good angle anywhere to get the heft of the refueler in the picture. This seemed to be the best way.

Here's 24 C-17s doing formation over Charleston.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 7, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

cardiacarrest123 posted:

I’m an anesthesiologist we build realistic simulators in mock operating rooms to practice intraoperative emergencies, and actually a lot of our safety literature draws parallels to the safety culture of aviation . I want to do this as safely as possible so that was another reason I was looking into simulation to practice whichever parts of flying that lend themselves well to simulation

You're going to be fighting with MFS all the time if you want an realistic experience out of it. My favorite thing to do is do the ILS approach that goes by my window from San Jose to Burbank, there's usually some glitch that screws me over and I often can't even load the loving STAR most of time, it rarely goes smooth and there's a new issue every time I try. It's also deficient in its modeling in parts and there's not really anything we can do about that. Time is finite and you're likely to get more out of the 3 hours a night you might have to play this on actual study.

Vahakyla posted:

Also, not that I am super expert on things, but the US Army chopper school makes people fly some 5-10 hours first on a real chopper, then it pushes them into the simulator, with the idea that you gotta have some real flying in you to get the benefit out of sims. And these are fancier sims, too. I'm a pretty big believer in the same idea.

I can believe this. This is why I tell people not to go straight to Rocksmith to learn guitar. It's not going to teach you the proper context for why you're doing what you're doing and you can't follow the screen and figure out where to put your fingers at the same time when you're new.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Sent absolutely the most harrowing first solo of my life today. My student showed me three beautiful circuits, the weather seemed decent and stable, we taxiied back so I could get out and... all hell basically broke loose, and ten minutes later I look out the window to see him landing on the opposite runway he'd taken off on. The weather had shifted in a really hosed way (basically giving significant low-level windshear) so they did a runway change, and my dude handled it like a champ.

I know we have a few student pilots or possibly future student pilots reading the thread, and to them I say: this is why the "almost ready to solo" to "ready to solo" phase takes for-loving-ever. Obviously we do not plan to give you a really difficult first solo, but... poo poo can and does happen, and when you are ready -- not nearly ready, but actually ready -- you will handle it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whelp, for the first time in my career I did something that requires real medicine. Strained something in my neck, threw in the towel from the pain and went to my orthopedic doctor. They ran tests to rule out serious injury and gave me some prednisone and a relaxer to use for a couple days until the initial pain subsides.

I’m not worried about work, I have loads of sick time but I do have my medical at the end of the month. What are the odds they care about do-not-issue meds if it’s a single use script that ends a few weeks prior?

My take of the reg is that it’s up to the doc outside of the hard “must be off it this long” requirements of do-not-fly meds.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Here's a video showcasing the features on a top-of-the-line prototype competition glider. Unfortunately they don't show the jet engine.

Most RADICAL 18m GLIDER Design - JS3 X Special Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JebJJFGnmwk

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rolo posted:

My take of the reg is that it’s up to the doc outside of the hard “must be off it this long” requirements of do-not-fly meds.

If you're not taking the meds at the time of the medical, you don't need to report them, since the FAA isn't doing a drug test, and they don't ask what medications you've taken previously.

Since I'm slightly paranoid, I keep the prescription (or a copy of it) around for a couple of weeks after I finish taking anything like that, just in case it pops on a drug test at work.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

azflyboy posted:

If you're not taking the meds at the time of the medical, you don't need to report them, since the FAA isn't doing a drug test, and they don't ask what medications you've taken previously.

Since I'm slightly paranoid, I keep the prescription (or a copy of it) around for a couple of weeks after I finish taking anything like that, just in case it pops on a drug test at work.

Ok cool, that’s what I was thinking I’d do as of last night so hearing it from someone else helps.

lucking foser
Jan 10, 2023
dude i know planes guy where the cannons go krakow krakow and the browns fall down but dont worry theres more where that came from

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Apollo you forgot to log out of your throwaway again

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Obviously we do not plan to give you a really difficult first solo, but... poo poo can and does happen, and when you are ready -- not nearly ready, but actually ready -- you will handle it.

On my solo, TMB was so fuckin busy that they extended my downwind so far east it may as well have been a cross-country.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My first solo was very nice and chill

On my check ride though I had 130 degrees of variable winds and had to do the power off landing with a 7kt tailwind :shepface:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

Apollo you forgot to log out of your throwaway again

Why would anybody have a throwaway here? Like anybody cares enough LOL

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Jan 7, 2000 was my first flight and first solo was in feb of that year. So old

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Time flies :smug:

Just had my 12 year anni of my solo :corsair:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I hit 10 years since my disco flight last October :unsmith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus, I just looked it up in my logbook... June 21, 2005 for my first solo. Christ I'm old.

I did take the 10 years off in the middle, but things are going pretty well now.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

My first logbook entry is from 1994, but I didn't solo until 2004. :corsair:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
10/1/2005 for me. Also took a while off from like 2007-2016 but passed 200hrs a few weeks ago.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

07/30/20 for first heli solo. Now approaching 200 hours and hopefully soon, first revenue flight.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I can’t find my first logbook. I suspect it was destroyed when Hurricane Maria flooded part of my mom’s house and they threw it away because it looked like garbage😔

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

First glider solo was 28 July 1999 for me, first powered solo was 11 July 2000. I had to look up my first powered solo because honestly it didn't feel anywhere near as memorable as my first glider solo was.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Discovery flight was Feb 2, 2019 :homebrew:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
17 years ago I told my ATP-CFI father that I don't wish to use him to get my own PPL in Finland, and that learning to fly with your parents for free is loving lame as poo poo. We had a fight.

I got my half-self paid PPL two years ago in the USA.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

First solo was August 9th, 2005.

I passed my check ride August 9th, 2006.

In other news, I hope nobody needed to look at NOTAMs today or do anything else in the national air space system.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Today I re-learned about the rename to Notice to Air Missions, that was a good idea :) even if the old name was kinda cool

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

In other news, I hope nobody needed to look at NOTAMs today or do anything else in the national air space system.

why start now?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

AzureSkys posted:

My first logbook entry is from 1994, but I didn't solo until 2004. :corsair:

1993/2013 for me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Inner Light posted:

Today I re-learned about the rename to Notice to Air Missions, that was a good idea :) even if the old name was kinda cool

It's a valid thing to want to change I guess but the old name was way better. A pleasure flight over the coast is not a "mission." A cattle car from Chicago to Newark is not a "mission." It's going down the dumb CAP military fetishism hole.

Also I like calling myself an airman and I'm gonna keep doing it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t really care either way but if it pisses off boomers I tend to support it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

It's a valid thing to want to change I guess but the old name was way better. A pleasure flight over the coast is not a "mission." A cattle car from Chicago to Newark is not a "mission." It's going down the dumb CAP military fetishism hole.

Also I like calling myself an airman and I'm gonna keep doing it

It's probably to gender neutralize the phrase even though "man" is gender neutral in this context already. Just don't be like pilots of a certain generation and mumble about the FAA going "woke"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I am on the fence with the change

on one hand it pisses off boomers, which is good

on the other it was a pretty empty gesture that didn’t fix any of the actual underlying problems with with NOTAM system, they could’ve rebranded the whole thing with actual fixes “hey we fixed everything and it’s such a drastic change we’re calling it “X” now” instead of doing nothing and just making it a weak backronym

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
I thought the NOTAM system was finally going to be dealt with after the Air Canada near miss at SFO. At that point it was undeniably broken.

It’s said that when I fly personally my Foreflight app does a better job highlighting important NOTAMs than the flight plan I get from my airline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

e.pilot posted:

I am on the fence with the change

on one hand it pisses off boomers, which is good

on the other it was a pretty empty gesture that didn’t fix any of the actual underlying problems with with NOTAM system, they could’ve rebranded the whole thing with actual fixes “hey we fixed everything and it’s such a drastic change we’re calling it “X” now” instead of doing nothing and just making it a weak backronym

Why would updating the acronym to non-gender specific language have anything to do with fixing all of the other problems with the system? It doesn't make sense to conflate these things unless the underlying problems you mention are acronym-related.

My hot take is that making the name non-sexist is an unequivocal Good Thing and anyone who objects is the kind of regressive rear end in a top hat I don't want anything to do with.