Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just do away with it being an acronym and make it a word: notam.

I mean I’d be hosed if I had to tell you what RADAR or LASER stand for, who gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Inner Light posted:

Today I re-learned about the rename to Notice to Air Missions, that was a good idea :) even if the old name was kinda cool

I'm so torn on this. I am very much behind of all rebranding of gendered language. However, "Notice to Airmen" has always just sounded so friggin cool.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

The gendered language sucks poo poo and should change. The replacement military play acting also sucks and should change but at least it sucks equally for everyone

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

drat, there go my self-deprecating "Notice to Air Ma'am" jokes

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

on the other it was a pretty empty gesture that didn’t fix any of the actual underlying problems with with NOTAM system, they could’ve rebranded the whole thing with actual fixes “hey we fixed everything and it’s such a drastic change we’re calling it “X” now” instead of doing nothing and just making it a weak backronym

This is my only issue with the change. Instead of expending effort to fix a broken system that does not deliver a useful product, they relabeled it to score political points. The FAA’s core mission is not to ensure the inclusivity of and respect for people in the system, it’s to keep everyone in and using the system alive, which has had several glaring failures and close calls recently.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

MrYenko posted:

This is my only issue with the change. Instead of expending effort to fix a broken system that does not deliver a useful product, they relabeled it to score political points. The FAA’s core mission is not to ensure the inclusivity of and respect for people in the system, it’s to keep everyone in and using the system alive, which has had several glaring failures and close calls recently.

You're doing the same thing e.pilot is. Do you think there was some meeting where FAA leadership had to choose between renaming the NOTAM system and fixing every issue you have with it? These are two entirely different things that require entirely different levels of investment and planning. They're entirely unrelated.

Whining about inclusivity not being part of the FAA' core mission is textbook male fragility that I'd definitely expect to see from one of the boomer pilots this thread loves to complain about. How exactly does it hurt you for pilots who aren't men to be included in the name of the system?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

notice to aeronautical magicians
notice to aviation machine managers

many wasted opportunities

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Loucks posted:

You're doing the same thing e.pilot is. Do you think there was some meeting where FAA leadership had to choose between renaming the NOTAM system and fixing every issue you have with it? These are two entirely different things that require entirely different levels of investment and planning. They're entirely unrelated.

Whining about inclusivity not being part of the FAA' core mission is textbook male fragility that I'd definitely expect to see from one of the boomer pilots this thread loves to complain about. How exactly does it hurt you for pilots who aren't men to be included in the name of the system?

The two are not mutually exclusive. I think it’s a good change in a vacuum, but I don’t have time to congratulate my bosses on being inclusive because I’m too busy being legally obligated to read NOTAMS for broken lightbulbs on cranes four miles from the airport to airplanes in the air while I’m simultaneously separating two dozen airliners from each other.

I’m saying that it’s polishing the silverware on the Titanic, not that you should strive to have tarnished silverware.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Effort spent on one isn't effort unspent elsewhere. It's just two tracks of improvement.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The two are not mutually exclusive. I think it’s a good change in a vacuum, but I don’t have time to congratulate my bosses on being inclusive because I’m too busy being legally obligated to read NOTAMS for broken lightbulbs on cranes four miles from the airport to airplanes in the air while I’m simultaneously separating two dozen airliners from each other.

I’m saying that it’s polishing the silverware on the Titanic, not that you should strive to have tarnished silverware.

Of course the two aren't mutually exclusive. They're entirely unrelated, and that's my point. Reread what you wrote:

MrYenko posted:

Please by all means explain how "instead of" there isn't intended to draw a direct causal relationship between the FAA renaming the system and them not improving the system. The text draws a unequivocal connection here, and when you go on to bitch about "core mission" and "political points" you just come off as a chauvinist rear end in a top hat. The idea that not limiting the name to men only is "scoring political points" rather than "not excluding people" is explicitly a regressive/conservative premise. Maybe you're not running off to every ultraright rally out there, but you sure come off as a fellow traveller. No one is asking you to "congratulate your bosses" for christ's sake, just be a normal person and let women and enbys also be included.

Hell, I'll even give you a comment you can use to not alienate people who aren't cismen: "It's good that steps are being taken to make flying inclusive. I also wish they'd work to improve the functionality of the system."

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

notice to aviation machine managers

this is the one

Loucks
May 21, 2007

notice to aloft maniacs?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

notice to aviators, mostly

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

notice to aviators, mostly

This is perfect.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

:hmmyes:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Loucks posted:

Of course the two aren't mutually exclusive. They're entirely unrelated, and that's my point. Reread what you wrote:

Please by all means explain how "instead of" there isn't intended to draw a direct causal relationship between the FAA renaming the system and them not improving the system. The text draws a unequivocal connection here, and when you go on to bitch about "core mission" and "political points" you just come off as a chauvinist rear end in a top hat. The idea that not limiting the name to men only is "scoring political points" rather than "not excluding people" is explicitly a regressive/conservative premise. Maybe you're not running off to every ultraright rally out there, but you sure come off as a fellow traveller. No one is asking you to "congratulate your bosses" for christ's sake, just be a normal person and let women and enbys also be included.

Hell, I'll even give you a comment you can use to not alienate people who aren't cismen: "It's good that steps are being taken to make flying inclusive. I also wish they'd work to improve the functionality of the system."

Pedantically yes, I was implying something I didn’t consciously mean. Mea culpa.

I still don’t give a flying gently caress about what they call NOTAMS or what a pilot does or does not have lurking in their dockers or what they like to do with said tackle, and the NOTAM system is still broken and dangerous.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Loucks posted:

You seem mad.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
NOTAMs are fixed guys we can all shut up about it and going back to not reading a 30 page stack of printed notams pages each leg.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bob A Feet posted:

NOTAMs are fixed guys we can all shut up about it and going back to not reading a 30 page stack of printed notams pages each leg.

Wait did they do something other than the name change? I’m still out sick so I missed whatever was going on today.

Edit: I’m realizing now I probably read your post wrong

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 11, 2023

Loucks
May 21, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Pedantically yes, I was implying something I didn’t consciously mean. Mea culpa.

I still don’t give a flying gently caress about what they call NOTAMS or what a pilot does or does not have lurking in their dockers or what they like to do with said tackle, and the NOTAM system is still broken and dangerous.

I went a little hard there, and for that I apologize.

It doesn’t actually matter what it’s called, which is why we shouldn’t be jerks about it. Claims that they should overhaul the system are compelling fwiw.

e.pilot posted:

You seem mad.

A little frustrated. There isn’t any reason to post the way you were posting unless you feel threatened by non-men being included. It’s more fun to post with people who aren’t motivated by fragility and hatred.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Loucks posted:

I went a little hard there, and for that I apologize.

It doesn’t actually matter what it’s called, which is why we shouldn’t be jerks about it. Claims that they should overhaul the system are compelling fwiw.

A little frustrated. There isn’t any reason to post the way you were posting unless you feel threatened by non-men being included. It’s more fun to post with people who aren’t motivated by fragility and hatred.
Because it’s the absolute smallest meaningless step they could’ve possibly done to be more inclusive, in light of massive cultural and organizational rot top to bottom.

I’ll parrot what MrYenko said, because you seem to be missing what we’re saying:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's a nice gesture, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
NOTice to Airborne Mammals

There. Now you can use it even when you need put a chimpanzee in a rocketship or a bear in a rocket sled.

Bats are officially on notice.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Platystemon posted:

Bats are officially on notice.

Bats aren't bugs!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Notice To Aircrew Men

Ahh wait gently caress

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Not Always Totally Available Mechanisms
Notice All This, Anyways, Maybe

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Notams Only Talk About Men Somehow

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My SO used their bennies and hooked us up with first class tickets on a 787 to CDG for my birthday. I gotta say this sure is nice. My seat. Is a bed.

The nuts. Are warm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rolo posted:

The nuts. Are warm.

Well yes, that's an expected service in first class. How are the snacks?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Top tier snacks, free clean socks, great service.

Drank a good bit of gin, watched Footloose and fell asleep. A+.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Last 747 doing track art right now.

https://fr24.com/GTI747/2f0b1162

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What a cool machine. 747 is rad as hell.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m not going to bore you guys with my personal life but I was unable to accept my Atlas class date last year and very politely bowed out shortly after the offer was sent.

It looks like I’m going to be ready to accept a 121 training date in the next couple months and I’d like to reapply at Atlas among other places. Will they shun me for backing out due to something that wasn’t me accepting another job?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’m not going to bore you guys with my personal life but I was unable to accept my Atlas class date last year and very politely bowed out shortly after the offer was sent.

It looks like I’m going to be ready to accept a 121 training date in the next couple months and I’d like to reapply at Atlas among other places. Will they shun me for backing out due to something that wasn’t me accepting another job?

I think it’ll be fine if you explain that it was a personal issue and you are ready now. Especially if you get an inside rec. PM me or e.pilot I think I’m connected enough that I can maybe pull strings

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Any airline is so desperate for pilots they’ll ignore that. Apply everywhere.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

SWA lowered their turbine mins to 500 hours. Not PIC, just 500 hours in something that burns kerosene. No idea what a competitive TT is but we're hiring 24 year olds with a couple years at skywest so it probably isn't much.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
They could’ve done it so much more elegantly, too. Every other airline has been unrestricted ATP mins for a while. They could’ve just said that. The 500 TT recommended just sounds desperate lol.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m at 2600 TT, 1950 jet and 325 jet pic. No 121 but a ton of 135 and multiple PIC types all passed on the first try.

Gonna shoot my poo poo everywhere but I still dig the atlas idea. They offered the 76 last time, is that still a good choice for seeing the world and not hating my life?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

I’m at 2600 TT, 1950 jet and 325 jet pic. No 121 but a ton of 135 and multiple PIC types all passed on the first try.

Gonna shoot my poo poo everywhere but I still dig the atlas idea. They offered the 76 last time, is that still a good choice for seeing the world and not hating my life?

You could walk into any major/legacy— not saying that to knock Atlas, I’m saying that as in: congrats! The world is your loving oyster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
:stare: