Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

I forgot what thread I was in and thought you were expressing love for Georgia.

I lived in GA. I don’t miss it, except for a few cool spots in Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I'll let you fly my 172 if you let me fly your 767 :shrug:

I think if I fly a C172 now I'll explode

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

I think if I fly a C172 now I'll explode

They feel like toys after flying the big stuff :unsmith:

Nothing happens fast, there’s zero momentum, energy management is essentially non-existent, it’s fun.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

They feel like toys after flying the big stuff :unsmith:

Nothing happens fast, there’s zero momentum, energy management is essentially non-existent, it’s fun.

I had this after flying a drat Seneca, so I can only imagine what it’s like after flying a jet or even a turboprop.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Arson Daily posted:

Double post!

Out of order?! Even in the future nothing works!

I thought the standby attitude along with the ash tray next to the lav were the only things on the 737 you couldn't MEL?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

VFR only my friend. We got a different airplane

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arson Daily posted:

I don't have a handy meme available for this contingency, but imagine a B&W picture of a 60's-era crewcut dude on a corded handset and the text "I checked the enroute forecast and destination weather and you should be able to do EWR-LAX VFR".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ausgezeichnet posted:

I don't have a handy meme available for this contingency, but imagine a B&W picture of a 60's-era crewcut dude on a corded handset and the text "I checked the enroute forecast and destination weather and you should be able to do EWR-LAX VFR".

Little known fact if you do this in a 747 with 5 stops when you land at LAX it’ll be 1969

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arson Daily posted:

My friend works maintenance at a major airline and says every now and again they'll have some plane with some major discrepancy with only a few hours to go until heavy check, so they just fly the plane straight to the heavy check depot. One time, it was a landing gear issue, so they flew gear-down from Tennessee to Ohio, VFR-only, below 14k, and at max gear speed -10kt. I can only imagine the fuel bill. Obviously the bean counters decided it was cheaper than fixing the gear in TN.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I once had to make a PA reassuring a plane load of passengers that we weren't actually carrying a bunch of dead kids in the cargo compartment.

Our flight was being used to ship a spare propeller for an AOG Q400 that needed one, and the containers the blades were transported in (boxes a bit over 5ft long) kind of looked like small coffins, especially if you're seeing them from a bit of a distance at night, and the ground crew is being careful loading them into the airplane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My friend works maintenance at a major airline and says every now and again they'll have some plane with some major discrepancy with only a few hours to go until heavy check, so they just fly the plane straight to the heavy check depot. One time, it was a landing gear issue, so they flew gear-down from Tennessee to Ohio, VFR-only, below 14k, and at max gear speed -10kt. I can only imagine the fuel bill. Obviously the bean counters decided it was cheaper than fixing the gear in TN.

I mean, BNA to CVG for example wouldn’t be too crazy?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baAC49s-Wyw

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Long story short but I nearly flew an empty airplane from Cancun to Houston with the gear down but didn't because customs would have been closed by the time we got there. 260 knots with the gear hanging would have been loud as fukkkkkkkkk

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

azflyboy posted:

I once had to make a PA reassuring a plane load of passengers that we weren't actually carrying a bunch of dead kids in the cargo compartment.

Our flight was being used to ship a spare propeller for an AOG Q400 that needed one, and the containers the blades were transported in (boxes a bit over 5ft long) kind of looked like small coffins, especially if you're seeing them from a bit of a distance at night, and the ground crew is being careful loading them into the airplane.

We actually call those things blade coffins, which makes it even funnier.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’ve done this on a CRJ700. It nearly drove me insane.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I have a book about L-1011s I got when I was a kid and it would give last known statuses of each of the frames built. One of them was flown from wherever it was retired to storage in the UK with gear down on two engines.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I went down a a minor youtube rabbit hole with those AOPA accident videos. Some of them are kind of crazy situations where one problem and a couple of sub-optimal responses lead to a crash.

On the other hand is this video, where some guy with literally terminal boomer brain rages at everyone who gets between him and his takeoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29C5QGp3LQ

EDIT: Almost forgot the best part of the re-enactment animation

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 4, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it the same guy that's trying so desperately to get out of the dock that he's redlining while tied up and arguing with everyone? 💩🤪

Edit: and one float was flooded 😬

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Charles posted:

Edit: and one float was flooded 😬

It's quite something when there's a duct-taped wing repair and a float taking on water and neither one is even close to being the biggest problem.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
boomers gonna boom

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I saw that one a few months ago. Terminal "I can do whatever I want" boomer brain.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Is it certain that alcohol wasn't involved or is that something that's just tacitly side stepped?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

azflyboy posted:

Was the sigh with or without the mic button depressed?

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Stringent posted:

Is it certain that alcohol wasn't involved or is that something that's just tacitly side stepped?

I'm sure they'd talk about it if alcohol had been involved. I'm pretty sure it's come up in one of their other videos.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DuckConference posted:

I went down a a minor youtube rabbit hole with those AOPA accident videos. Some of them are kind of crazy situations where one problem and a couple of sub-optimal responses lead to a crash.

On the other hand is this video, where some guy with literally terminal boomer brain rages at everyone who gets between him and his takeoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29C5QGp3LQ

Honestly, with that chain of terrible decisions, one has to wonder if this dude didn't just want to die.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

DuckConference posted:

Props to illustrators for accurately capturing the guy's boomer energy in the video. I've met this guy before, in so many different guys. Mostly in Florida.

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious

So just to be clear, you don't need a flight plan to fly VFR in this situation, or am I misunderstanding something here? Was this essentially at the discretion of the JFK tower just because it was good VFR conditions and the flights was just to the adjacent airport?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lenny Nero posted:

So just to be clear, you don't need a flight plan to fly VFR in this situation, or am I misunderstanding something here? Was this essentially at the discretion of the JFK tower just because it was good VFR conditions and the flights was just to the adjacent airport?

Endeavor’s dispatchers didn’t file their IFR plan or misfiled or something. Since it’s so close they just asked about VFR, which needs permission because NYC is all a bravo and JFK ground said sure, much to the confusion of JFK approach.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 6, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You don't need a flight plan to fly VFR anywhere in the continental USA. Scheduled airline operations are always conducted under IFR because it gives an additional safety factor (all airplanes are only flying predetermined routes) and positive, controlled separation between the aircraft. While the national airspace system is theoretically open to any pilot, in controlled airspace it's ultimately the controller's discretion to grant clearance to any given flight. I've heard of people in Cessnas once in a blue moon getting permission to do a touch-and-go at SFO at like 2:30 in the morning, but at any time when there are airliners landing (so, like 24 hours a day in NYC) if you just call up a Bravo airport and ask to come in VFR they'll tell you to go away.

So in this case JFK and LGA are essentially never going to see VFR traffic except maybe a sightseer transitioning through, and a Southwest plane is never going to be flying VFR when there are passengers aboard. What they're doing isn't illegal or dangerous -- just weird. Hence why everyone in the tower is curious.

e: also note the difference between "instrument flight rules" (IFR) and "instrument meteorological conditions" (IMC). Instrument conditions are weather conditions like heavy fog and cloud cover where you can't fly visually. Instrument flight rules are the methods (specific waypoints, clearances, altitudes, always in contact with a controller) used to fly in those conditions. You can fly IFR in perfectly clear blue skies, and indeed all airliners do because the guaranteed separation and prearranged routes increase safety vs. just letting the pilot pick where he wants to go.

Under VFR, the controllers are actually not allowed to provide separation services. They can alert you to the presence of other traffic and give you recommended headings and altitudes, but it's up to you to navigate and avoid hitting stuff. You can see how that would rapidly become a problem in airspace like that around the NYC airports. Hence the giant class B area and the rarity of airplanes operating VFR.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 6, 2021

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

You don't need a flight plan to fly VFR anywhere in the continental USA. Scheduled airline operations are always conducted under IFR because it gives an additional safety factor (all airplanes are only flying predetermined routes) and positive, controlled separation between the aircraft. While the national airspace system is theoretically open to any pilot, in controlled airspace it's ultimately the controller's discretion to grant clearance to any given flight. I've heard of people in Cessnas once in a blue moon getting permission to do a touch-and-go at SFO at like 2:30 in the morning, but at any time when there are airliners landing (so, like 24 hours a day in NYC) if you just call up a Bravo airport and ask to come in VFR they'll tell you to go away.

So in this case JFK and LGA are essentially never going to see VFR traffic except maybe a sightseer transitioning through, and a Southwest plane is never going to be flying VFR when there are passengers aboard. What they're doing isn't illegal or dangerous -- just weird.

During the beginning of the pandemic lockdown there was a dude who flew a small airplane VFR from EWR to LGA and JFK. Cool as gently caress.

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious
Thanks hobbesmaster and Sagebrush. I did not know the distinction between IFR and IMC. I've been in an airplane under VFR once in my life with a college classmate, who was the pilot, in a single-engine small Cessna-like airplane out of the Santa Barbara, CA airport. It was an amazing experience, and it was quite fun to visually ID the other small airplanes near us when the controllers informed him of their presence.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Under VFR, the controllers are actually not allowed to provide separation services.

This is the case most of the time but not in Class B, all traffic gets separation and results in ATC giving IFR style instructions to VFR airplanes. Flying the bravo is not super uncommon here in the DC area, it's not as busy as NYC so going into Dulles or BWI is generally possible if you have a hankering to pay landing fees.

I'd also thought it was outright against the rules to fly part 121 airline service with passengers without being on an IFR flight plan, hopefully someone else can chime in on that. I can see a ferry flight with just pilots on board being ok.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’d put money on a CRJ flying JFK-LGA being a repositioning after a divert.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sanchez posted:

This is the case most of the time but not in Class B, all traffic gets separation and results in ATC giving IFR style instructions to VFR airplanes. Flying the bravo is not super uncommon here in the DC area, it's not as busy as NYC so going into Dulles or BWI is generally possible if you have a hankering to pay landing fees.

Oh, huh, I wasn't aware of that distinction. I've transitioned through the SFO bravo, but the instructions were stuff like "remain west of highway 101 at or below 2000 feet." I've heard them give vectors to VFR traffic before but usually it's just a "stay in this sector and don't bother us" sort of instruction. So I thought that would fall under the same category you'd get with VFR radar services, not actual IFR separation.

Huh.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

hobbesmaster posted:

I’d put money on a CRJ flying JFK-LGA being a repositioning after a divert.

One of my friends at the artist formerly known as Eagle got to do one of these flights once.

There's also a video of a TWA 727 repositioning flight on YT.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

One of my friends at the artist formerly known as Eagle got to do one of these flights once.

Do we know each other?

sanchez posted:

I'd also thought it was outright against the rules to fly part 121 airline service with passengers without being on an IFR flight plan, hopefully someone else can chime in on that. I can see a ferry flight with just pilots on board being ok.

Nope. At the previously mentioned airline we were allowed to fly VFR up to 50NM away from the departure airport before picking up an IFR flight plan.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wooowiee my drafting teacher would have torn you to shreds for writing your dates like that

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Apparently giving a "Dick in a Box" is considered inappropriate on the flight deck.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2021/04/05/southwest-pilot-is-accused-of-indecent-exposure-during-flight/

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

The pilot's name is Mike Haak, you can't make this stuff up.

(Well you can, if you're pranking the news outlet like somewhat recent aviation history)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Just can't have fun at work anymore...