Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
430w for 6k or an ifd440 for 11. Am I missing something here?

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
So, after flying for the first time today (around some pretty cool thunderstorms), my instructor mentioned the switch to ICAO format for flight plans in the impending future. Since I've been out of the loop for a bit, this was surprising to me so I looked it up online and WTF. I liked being just /G and now I have to look up bunch of other poo poo and more paperwork so now my nice /G becomes like SGR/??? AND PBN/B2C2D2HIJKLMNOP&$$&#^@@(. gently caress box 10 and box 18.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 1, 2017

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Captain Apollo posted:

430w for 6k or an ifd440 for 11. Am I missing something here?

You need WAAS to feed your ADS-B equipment, but if you can find a working, WAAS capable set for 6k, it's more of a toss-up. (Except for the fact that it's end of sale, and therefore probably end of life at some point in the next couple/few/several years - there is some debate over when it will be sunset for real given the huge install base) We were seeing the used market at 8k for a 430w when we looked.

The main thing is that you're going to spend a ton of money on labor to install the thing, and you'll spend it all again when the old equipment retires. How soon that comes back to haunt you is the guessing game you're playing with the old unit.

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
I was thinking of going the GTX345 route with ads-b. I just overhauled my gyros so I'm not in a hurry to replace them with glass, plus I kinda like the old school look. Am I making another poor decision with my life?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Dream setup?

Avidyne 440 with the IFD 100(iPad) hooked up to dual Garmin G5's (one HSI and one AI)

Then we TruTrak autopilot gets STC'd for pa-28s then I get a 5k autopilot. Too bad as of today the G5 is not autopilot compatible :S :S

I'm not sure what to think on the 430s. There are SO MANY units I just don't think Garmin could stop supporting them tomorrow.

6k (430w) + 5k (combo G5 package) = 11

11k (avidyne 440) + 5k (combo G5 package) = 16

This would be a way easier decision for a 120k bonanza to go for the newer avionics, but I'm talking about a pa-28-180 aka baby's first airplane.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Dalrain posted:

The main thing is that you're going to spend a ton of money on labor to install the thing, and you'll spend it all again when the old equipment retires.

Well, yeah. But isn't the point of avidyne 440 to be a slide in 430w replacement? Besides, I'm not even sure that avidyne is going to exist in 10 years.

I CERTAINLY hope it does, btw. I really like the avidyne product, but installing a 430w now and saving the extra 5k is basically keeeping it in the bank for the next avidyne product anyway.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

PT6A posted:

Question about airports with pilot-controlled lighting: is there a chance that some airports disable these systems after a certain time of night? On two consecutive flights, at two different airports, I've had trouble activating them. Last night, I know the system was working, because the lights were on as I was approaching the airport, and then turned off, evidently permanently, as I was inspecting the windsock. On both of those flights, when I've returned to my home airport (which uses the exact same type of system once the control tower is closed) the system worked exactly as expected, multiple times (I tested the dimming system, just to make sure I wasn't getting lucky for some reason).

It wasn't a distance thing either, because I was literally over the airport's beacon and I could see the runway.

It's strange, because I don't think I did anything wrong, I tried multiple times, yet I'm still at a loss as to why two separate airports would give me the same issue on two different days. The only thing I can think of is that it was quite late in both cases (night begins at 10:30PM here right now, so these would've both been after 11PM). I've done night landings at both airports in the past, during the winter when night started much earlier. Is there any other thing I could be overlooking?

In my (limited) experience, many of them just suck. The timing to turn them on can end up weird. Someone keys the radio twice and it doesn't flush from their queue fast enough, and now turning them on is offset by a few clicks, etc...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Question about airports with pilot-controlled lighting: is there a chance that some airports disable these systems after a certain time of night? On two consecutive flights, at two different airports, I've had trouble activating them. Last night, I know the system was working, because the lights were on as I was approaching the airport, and then turned off, evidently permanently, as I was inspecting the windsock. On both of those flights, when I've returned to my home airport (which uses the exact same type of system once the control tower is closed) the system worked exactly as expected, multiple times (I tested the dimming system, just to make sure I wasn't getting lucky for some reason).

It wasn't a distance thing either, because I was literally over the airport's beacon and I could see the runway.

It's strange, because I don't think I did anything wrong, I tried multiple times, yet I'm still at a loss as to why two separate airports would give me the same issue on two different days. The only thing I can think of is that it was quite late in both cases (night begins at 10:30PM here right now, so these would've both been after 11PM). I've done night landings at both airports in the past, during the winter when night started much earlier. Is there any other thing I could be overlooking?

Shot in the dark (haha), but are you sure you were trying on the correct frequency? It's not always on the same one as the CTAF.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

So what the gently caress happen to your engine?

You are doing a very lovely AMA

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Ferret King posted:

Shot in the dark (haha), but are you sure you were trying on the correct frequency? It's not always on the same one as the CTAF.

In this case it is, and even so, I double-checked.

Nuggan posted:

In my (limited) experience, many of them just suck. The timing to turn them on can end up weird. Someone keys the radio twice and it doesn't flush from their queue fast enough, and now turning them on is offset by a few clicks, etc...

It's supposed to flush after 5 seconds, but I'm leaning toward something like this too.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Just a question out of curiosity- what is it like flying a plane with one of those big sign banners behind it, if someone here has experience flying one?

How do they get the banner in the air? Does it have wheels and you tow it horizontally on the runway until you take off?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
They do it in a kinda sketchy looking way, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-CAfldST8M

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/breaking-news/legislators-proposed-regional-airports-would-attract-businesses/jRho5YFwq0JX72dabKZz2I/

This is the dumbest loving thing what is this I don't even :wtc: :ramsay:

TL;DR: dumbfuck Ohio politician wants to build two major airports in the middle of nowhere in Jeffersonville (about 20 minutes from Wilmington- we'll get back to that in a minute) and Ravenna (near Cleveland) to be Ohio's two airports on the condition that a major airline promise a hub there (:lol:). The new airports would be linked to major cities by train and CMH, LCK, DAY, CVG, YNG, CAK, and CLE would all be "left to the smaller airlines" or probably closed. (:roflolmao:)

I don't know much about NE Ohio, but...I mean...ILN has just been raped again and has two 10,000' runways. Maybe, you know, convert it to a passenger facility? :shrug:

e- What even is a "smaller airline" nowadays? That EAS operator running Piper twins out of PIT?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 3, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It'd be nice if Mirabel finally got to relinquish the title of "largest, dumbest airport built in the middle of loving nowhere for no discernible reason."

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Jesus, the 30+ minute drive to DEN is bad enough, can't imagine if they put it properly in the middle of nowhere.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

But trains! Who doesn't love taking a one-hour train to the airport?

The best part is: you still have to get to the train station somehow!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ohio couldn't even get high speed rail which was supposed to run from Cleveland to Cincinnati via Columbus and Dayton approved. How in the hell do they think this is going to go through?

I noticed Northwestern Ohio is not represented in this plan and, being a native, realize this state is bigger geographically than people think.. Maybe the congressman thinks they're all Poors who should be banished to DTW instead of being granted convenient access to SuperAirport Ohio.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

That is an appallingly bad plan.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
New thread update for OP

= Europe (UK/DE) - EASA ATPL B757/767 IR, A320 IR, SEP (Airline SFO)

Please add A330/A350 IR (I love common type ratings :D)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Drinking a beer in a longhorn steakhouse by myself.

That's right,it's FlightSafety time!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

Drinking a beer in a longhorn steakhouse by myself.

That's right,it's FlightSafety time!

Which location?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

It'd be nice if Mirabel finally got to relinquish the title of "largest, dumbest airport built in the middle of loving nowhere for no discernible reason."

Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciudad_Real_Central_Airport

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

Which location?

Orlando!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I know they've got a bit of a Benedict Arnold image in the industry, but PSA is offering two round-trip, confirmed (not NRSA/non-rev, confirmed) tickets to any AA destination to any new employee who has a hire date on or before July 1, 2017. Apparently, even part-time employees may be eligible.

I...I love the aviation job I have now in Western Ohio, but god drat. :stonklol: Is this generosity or are they that desperate?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 5, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

I know they've got a bit of a Benedict Arnold image in the industry, but PSA is offering two round-trip, confirmed (not NRSA/non-rev, confirmed) tickets to any AA destination to any new employee who has a hire date on or before July 1, 2017. Apparently, even part-time employees may be eligible.

I...I love the aviation job I have now in Western Ohio, but god drat. :stonklol: Is this generosity or are they that desperate?

That doesn't seem very enticing. What's the max that could be worth? $3-4K?

Maybe if it was business/first.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

That doesn't seem very enticing. What's the max that could be worth? $3-4K?

Maybe if it was business/first.

They're advertising it as a $6,000 value based on a CLT-MXP round-trip priced May 31st.

I tried to think of the farthest place I could go on it if I were to do it (CMH-SYD) and am surprised to see a 10 day trip leaving next Sunday is $1,376 round trip (CMH-LAX-SYD and back) on a refundable ticket. I guess it's low season there, though. CMH-ORD/DFW-NRT is $2,064.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

They're advertising it as a $6,000 value based on a CLT-MXP round-trip priced May 31st.

I tried to think of the farthest place I could go on it if I were to do it (CMH-SYD) and am surprised to see a 10 day trip leaving next Sunday is $1,376 round trip (CMH-LAX-SYD and back) on a refundable ticket. I guess it's low season there, though. CMH-ORD/DFW-NRT is $2,064.

Yeah June is pretty poo poo in Sydney. Decent up on the Gold Coast though.

Check out CMH-KNO if you really wanna push the cost of an economy ticket.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Still not worth it. For comparison, I have Delta travel benefits through the regional I work for and even though its about $100 to activate, the travel perks pay for themselves. For example last August I had a day trip to Amsterdam and got First class to and economy plus from, a quick glance at Kayak tells me this was roughly $8000, yet all I paid was about $56 in return taxes/fees.

So yeah, PSA is just desperate.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Desi posted:

So, for the OP, "Desi - CYOW/CYQT, ATPL, FI, FII, MEI, Mitsubishi MU2"

Speaking of the MU2, there was a bit of an interest in the plane when I got the gig, thought I'd follow up now that I've got about ~150 hours on type. For one, I can say without a doubt, I don't know jack at 150 on type and this is after receiving top notch training and flying with some of the highest time MU2 pilots in the world as my captains. This thing is one hell of a machine that is an awesome medevac platform. I came in with 1700TT and 600MPIC and all that counted for effectively jack, as this plane is, in a word, humbling. It is an extremely high performance (in its class) and unstable airplane that demands constant and active monitoring and flying. If you rest for a minute, or get lazy with your scan for just a second, you will see the consequences immediately. If you have an emergency and are not prepared or well trained enough to handle it.... well, the airplane's accident history can address that. But if you respect the machine and fly it precisely and by the book you get incredible performance. We fly these things flat-out per SOPs and as a result are usually cruising up to FL280 over 300kts GS and I've seen just over 400 on occasion. We can hold 250kts to the 10 mile fix, haul the power back, dirty it up, and put it onto a remote gravel strip in a reserve hundreds of miles from civilization (look up CYPO and CYER) without breaking a sweat. On the flip side, we pick up our patients and bring them into dense airspace and mega-airports such as CYYZ, CYOW, CYTZ, and the like, where we can mesh into the flow of traffic without issue - heck, coming back into our base I've heard Q400's being told on multiple occasions to "keep your speed up as long as safely able, you're being followed by a medevac Mitsubishi that is gaining."

Suffice to say, I'm having fun!

Just curious if they ever fixed or reinstalled the autopilots? Also coming in with that much mpic is great, I couldn't upgrade on the mu2 so I got moved to the king air instead after a year or so.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

:stonklol: Is this generosity or are they that desperate?

The latter. Every AA employee including those at wholly owned regional is getting those: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article127165484.html

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
AAAAAAAAAAAAA flight test on the 15th :ohdear:

At least I got my soft field landings down pat.

I also told my wife that she isn't allowed to even think about beginning, continuing or finishing a renovation or other project until I'm done.

Unlike the last 2 times I scheduled my flight test. :argh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAA flight test on the 15th :ohdear:

At least I got my soft field landings down pat.

I also told my wife that she isn't allowed to even think about beginning, continuing or finishing a renovation or other project until I'm done.

Unlike the last 2 times I scheduled my flight test. :argh:

Hahaha, soft field landings were the bane of my existance during flight test prep too, but I got them down and I nailed it on the flight test. I'm sure you'll ace the flight test!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My approach in to DEN the other day was....interesting.

Apparently ops was doing a check on the runway and 17R was closed and they thought it'd be opened by the time we got there. It wasn't, so they asked us to do a wide s-turn to the east, then changed their mind and switched us to 17L, then changed their mind again and had us do a 360 instead and roll out on final for 17R.

My friend worked us in on approach that morning and was like what the poo poo did tower have you doing yoloing all over the place.

Skip to 28:35, my FO was just confused as hell, can't imagine what our pax thought of it lol.
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kden/KDEN-Twr-Jun-07-2017-1130Z.mp3

Just doin' some hoodrat turboprop things.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Hey flying friends, not sure if this is the proper thread but I don't see a general "airport workers" thread other than the ATC one so I figure I'd ask here.

Just left Munich to return to the states, when I went through the metal detector at security, it beeped once and they had me sit down while they rubbed a small cloth over a few parts of my clothes/body and inserted it into a machine. I'm familiar with the whole "explosive residue" scan, but what would make the detector beep? Is it just a signal for a random check? I had already emptied my pockets and put my bag onto the conveyor belt, so I'm certain I had nothing on me that would have set it off.

It took all of thirty seconds for the guy to swab me, put it in the machine, and tell me I'm good to go. That's the first time that's ever happened to me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What color is your skin?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Not brown. Maybe a new program to weed out Y'all Qaeda looking American types? I'm not from the South so I can't imagine that, either.

Regardless, metal detectors don't scan for brown skin, so that wouldn't be why it beeped once anyway.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Not brown. Maybe a new program to weed out Y'all Qaeda looking American types? I'm not from the South so I can't imagine that, either.

Regardless, metal detectors don't scan for brown skin, so that wouldn't be why it beeped once anyway.

That is the indicator for "random" additional screening. I've had it happen to the person in front of me, not me, and then the person after me. Much like airline revenue management, no mere mortal knows these dark arts.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

~the magic of airports~

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There's a "profiling" button behind the counter that the agent hits when they see a brown person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The terrorists won.