Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I completed my PPL oral with my examiner basically skimming everything because I was ahead of all his questions (have a great CFI) but my practical has been cancelled twice due to thunderstorms

gently caress florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

KCRP 260151Z AUTO A2932 RMK OHFUCKNO

(Only modified for tone, not content)

also mostly edited for content, the .gov website has most of the information missing for ~some mysterious reason~

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

+1 goon PPL as of today. Finally got my flying checkride with good weather. On to instrument!

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Going to a big airport will familiarize you in a practical sense with stuff you wouldn’t get at an airport in the boonies, like ops in Class C airspace, wake turbulence avoidance, and such.

The quality of the flight school makes a much bigger difference, imo. Better a good school at a tiny field than a shitshow at RDU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

sanchez posted:

I learned on 3000x75, I'm sure the guys at the school up the road with 2400x40 have better approach habits than me, centerline discipline gets really important...

I did my baby flying in Reno which has 2x 9000x150 runways, and I really liked having that leeway as I was figuring out my centerline discipline (because I was loving horrible at it at first). Whatever works for you.

e.pilot posted:

If you can find a sleepy class c airport, that will do wonders for your training. I did all of my initial training out of COS and you don’t really realize how helpful talking to clearance and ground and dep/apch every flight from day one is until you see someone who hasn’t trying to make the transition.

this as well, if you are forced to learn at a class C and have to talk to approach/get a squawk/get ATIS every flight, you don't have to learn it later, which is nice. It owned to hear PPLs unfamiliar with Class C ops get pissy walkthroughs from CLC/DEL and Ground, and owned twice as much when the controllers didn't have issues with you.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Rolo posted:

Hey man I take offense to that. I worked at a shitshow at RDU.

i went to a flight school where I was the first person to actually look at the maintenance records in at least 2 months, because the annual was 2 months out of date

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

+1 instrument pilot as of today. I hope no checkride is ever that stressful again.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

AWSEFT posted:

If you give me more info I'll update the OP

PPL+instrument in the USA.

and if my plan works out, commercial in about two weeks

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

12 days ago-

a patagonian cavy posted:

+1 instrument pilot as of today. I hope no checkride is ever that stressful again.

Passed my commercial checkride today. It was, indeed, much less stressful than my IFR checkride.

And for AWSEFT: I'm based at KPMP. I get to see this:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

e.pilot posted:

There’s an NDB ILS going in to KRYN that’s one of my favorites on the sim.

like... you maintain an NDB course and there’s also a glide slope?

E: why did they not feel like putting the NDB on the ILS course???? The holding fix is like half a mile away from it!

a patagonian cavy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 12, 2017

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Alaskan airports are kinda cheating in this regard, but how about "Successful go-around improbable if initiated past the MAP". Why is it improbable? Well, the airport is on the side of a mountain look at the difference between THRE and field elevation and you're flying directly at the mountain as your final approach course.

Also there's no MAP specifically marked.

e: bonus- HOPE YOU LIKE DME ARCS!

a patagonian cavy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 13, 2017

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Rolo posted:

Anyone know the 91 rule for donating blood or plasma off the top of your head?

48 hours? Less for plasma?

There isn't any such FAR rule, but the FAA does mention in a mostly unrelated AC about amateur-built aircraft that if your donation is 1 unit/500mL or less, it is recommended that you not fly for at least 24 hours. If you give more than 1 unit/500mL, that recommendation increases to 72 hours.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

Anybody have info on the CFI job market in south Florida? I know in the Midwest you can get a job the day you pass your CFI checkride, is FL the same?

It is. I’m literally in the same boat and location that you are and I was offered a job at the flight school I did my training at and I haven’t even passed my CFI checkrides.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

CFI checkride passed 8 days ago, CFII yesterday

I'm so tired of checkrides

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Animal posted:

Good luck! Let us know if you laughed uncontrollably.

holy poo poo I wasn't the only person to do this?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

no, right after I landed. touched down, realized I wasn't going off the runway, everything was good, just laughed for about 500 feet

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

A cool thing to do when playing Sky God in non-motion sims is to set weather just above minimums, key up a crosswind, and right when the pilot spots the runway you set the wind speed to 150K

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

movax posted:

I swear I've asked this question, but couldn't find the instance of the thread that I did in. Recs for flight schools in Seattle area? Trying to see if the Boeing Employee's Flying club accepts non-Boeing people, but seems to be a lot of options around here.

I freelance nowadays, so super flexible when it comes to timing / scheduling / etc.

I'm interviewing to work at a school in Seattle tomorrow and if it seems nice I'll update you.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm probably just forgetting how not "light" LSAs are compared to a cessna.

162 felt pretty touchy compared to a 172 :shrug:

dexter6 posted:

Hi everyone I got my PPL today. Took me two years (with 7 months off until 2 weeks ago) and 86 hours.

STILL COUNTS

Congrats! On to the instrument rating!

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

AWSEFT posted:

Quite a few, some listed their local airport in the OP however IIRC most are east coast. I'd be down if I had the time off an it was on the East coast.

speaking of the OP, can you update me to "CFI-I at KBFI", please?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

I've just been setting our dispatch tablets' homepage to pfchangs.com because we don't have TVs :(

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

The Slaughter posted:

I need to go fly some GA. Thinking about a floatplane...

i want to get my floatplane rating so bad, i'm even in a place that has multiple seaplane bases, but I'm already in so much debt

aaaaaa

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

sleepy gary posted:

It's only like $1500 you won't even notice it!

I'm done with checkrides for a little bit after doing CFI and CFI-I eight days apart. Maybe next summer...

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Word is they were backing the approach up with "a radio frequency" (I'm assuming an ILS) and forgot to actually plug the frequency in.

They tuned the ILS for the second approach but not the first one- see Page 9 of whatever this NTSB-created wall of text is.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Cessna posted:

Sure, I just think it's funny...

I got my Pvt Pilot in California, in the Bay Area. My home field had an elevation of 4' MSL, and you had to take a "mountain checkout" if you were going to land on a field over 2000' MSL.

We do the same thing in the Seattle area if you want to go up to the many mountain airports that exist in the Cascades. I think it's more just telling people that high density altitudes exist, sometimes, and you should do your TO/LDG distance calculations and not go if the wind is really strong.

Speaking of mountain airports and strong wind:

https://twitter.com/NWSReno/status/809494733961760768

RNO UUA/ OV RNO 5NW / TM 1855 / FL085 / TP DH8D / RM LLWS +/- 10KTS ON SHORT FINAL 085-SFC DURD. ROTOR ACTION. AIRCRAFT ALMOST ROLLED AT 085

i bet the ground crew had a fun time cleaning up the plane after that one

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

The altitude range and location of that PIREP make it really hard to imagine where this aircraft was exactly when this happened.

5 miles Northwest of the airport on "short" final at 8500ft (~4000ft AGL)?

That’s normally where the planes turn downwind to base there, and it’s where it rolled. There was also wind shear from approximately that point to touchdown.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

I have an instrument student who doesn't take his time in procedures, doesn't double and triple check what's going on, etc etc

So I set up a sim session where I laid a pretty basic trap and told him that I was setting one, just to get him to take his time

(edited) read the notes section of your approach plate, friends

e: vv that's not what i'm doing

a patagonian cavy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 6, 2018

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

simble posted:

There's obviously a difference between dunning kruger idiots and students.

It's a Venn diagram.

Rolo posted:

“Oh I just won’t go into big airports.”

Yeah I don’t know that and I’m not putting my name in your logbook.

I fortunately haven't gotten anybody in for a BFR who has been like this but I know it's coming

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

P.S. To the student pilots in here, the way to make your instructor's day is to show up on time, with your walkaround and any necessary planning done. It's such a magical feeling when it actually happens!

jesus christ this

i'm going to be driven insane by people who show up 5 minutes late to a 2 hour reservation with nothing done ahead of time

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

So, it appears the person who landed a Piper Navajo on a road just short of the local international airport was, according to rumour and putting the reported pieces together, my first instructor and the person who did my CPL flight test.

Goes to show you that even a great pilot with a fuckton of experience can make a silly fuel management error.

EDIT: And that's why I like to impress on students, and other pilots who could use the occasional reminder, that when it comes to incidents caused by pilot error, it's not a matter of if you make a dumb mistake, it's a matter of when, whether you have 95 hours or 9500 hours. It's really easy to come up with "oh, I would have done X, Y and Z differently" when you're sitting on the ground analyzing poo poo after the fact.

My instrument DPE died in a midair during a checkride a few months ago. He had tens of thousands of hours and multiple type ratings. Nobody is perfect.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Yeah for like two weeks last year when this thread was doing all of it’s GUARD stories I trekked listening to 121.5 on my backup radio.

It was boring and retarded and it garbled my other radio.

I do it normally if I have a spare ear and two radios.

So far, I've heard:

1. Someone make a perfect set of position reports for Merritt Island CTAF (with his radio turned all the way down)
2. Score updates on Michigan-OSU football
3. About a thousand examples of UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ON GUARD, CALLING THE AIRCRAFT TWO-ZERO MILES EAST OF BOCA RATON AT TWO THOUSAND FEET YOU ARE ENTERING THE UNITED STATES ADIZ
4. An ELT, once
5. Taking out Aircraft A, monitoring guard, returning it, taking out Aircraft B, and hearing Aircraft A's next pilot make their initial call to Boeing Ground on guard because I left it in Com 2 and it looks close to Boeing Ground frequency (121.9)
6. Someone make a perfect set of position reports on Arlington WA CTAF (with his radio turned all the way down)
7. Mysterious radio check which I responded to
8. For each of the above, about ten hours of absolute silence

It's a lottery, you never know what you're going to get

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

I am now immune to caring about Severe Nosewheel Abuse, provided porpoising doesn't occur.

Our mechanics would kill you for such a henious statement. Every one of our 172s has a shimmy damper issue :negative:

e.pilot posted:

My students would get two bounces before I took over.

“Welp we porpoised that one a bit, what went wrong there?”

I have a guy who, if he bounces a landing, has the throttle at full before he gets to the top of the bounce. I'm pretty ok with it.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

Well I was right to be nervous about my flight test recommend.

Apart from the fact that the airplane is still in tip top shape, it was a more-or-less complete bed-making GBS threads.

Apparently the short-field takeoff went okay, and the straight-and-level by instruments went okay and that was about it.

My first recommend passed his PPL today :colbert:

also, flash back to exactly one year ago

a patagonian cavy posted:

+1 goon PPL as of today. Finally got my flying checkride with good weather. On to instrument!

:smuggo:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

If I win the lottery I’m going to buy some kind of gulfstream and pay two idiots way under nbaa average because it’s a “stepping stone”

Edit: and those mfers are totally paying for their type ratings

I know a guy who paid for a Lear 45 rating $12k for three months of spotty work and then got stiffed by his boss out of his last paycheck

135 is a land of contrasts

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

You got it in one.

Be honest with yourself. There's a reason why our post-flight debrief procedure for instructors always starts with "so, how do you think that flight went?" The answer can be "I don't think it went that well, I did X, Y and Z wrong." That's still my answer on some days when I'm evaluating my own performance, because flying is difficult. Whether you have 50 hours or 5000 hours, you will fall short of perfection and improvement can only occur when you acknowledge your weaknesses and start thinking about what you can do differently next time.

I can see this with two of my students who are just starting out. Goofus blames phantom updrafts and downdrafts, but Gallant recognizes that some days he flies better than others and that his skill is improving because he's focusing on fixing the problems I point out :v:

At least, hopefully, all of your students want to be there.

I have one who doesn't and it's absolute torture. dad wants him to become a pilot

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

My instructor (~6'2", 200lb) often complains about the size of the 152 and admittedly he is about as big as you can physically be and still fit in the plane.

Me (5'11", 152lb ironically), I put that plane on like a pair of pants and it's lovely :3:

I'm 6'2" 215lbs and I fit into a 152 just fine. A little bit like putting on a glove that's a *bit* too small.

172s are weird because if you put your feet flat on the floor under the pedals it makes them fall asleep after awhile. That's when I play the "seat all the way back, have fun finding trim again" game

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

I'd say we needed a "CFIs talking about students" thread but it would basically kill 50% of what happens in this thread

I have some nice students who are dedicated and study and are going to pass their checkrides with flying colors :) and then there's the other 75% of them

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

My workplace is nice because after a guy cancelled a few times with good reason but no notice, and then cancelled with no notice because he got arrested on suspicion of DUI and THEN went ballistic when I told him we were going to charge the noshow fee, it was suggested to him to find a different flight school.

Ninja e: there could be a whole thread for CFI bitching but I don’t want to take over this one

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

It’s cool as well because not only do north flow departures from BFI interfere with SEA’s traffic flow, but so do arrivals. Someone shooting the ILS32L into BFI briefly shuts down arrivals because of how close the localizer course is to SEA. That led to a situation INTERNET HEARSAY AHEAD where an airliner captain said they were delayed for a C172 which was going into Boeing.

This leads to TRACON refusing to take us back to BFI from the West when there’s flow into SEA, which is fair. They have to put us overhead SEA at 4k and then slam dunk us in a few miles to 1600 for glideslope intercept and a brief shutdown of arrivals. If you aren’t expecting it, it leads to... a very unstabilized approach.

All of it together means we don’t fly practice approaches IFR in north flow unless we know we can cancel and come back VFR.

Or at all, soon, when the freezing level comes down to 2,000 and it’s OVC010 every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

azflyboy posted:

Having heard how bent out of shape some airline crews get with the SEA delays (especially if they don't deal with it every day), I'd totally believe that. It's now to the point where I explain flow delays as "Seattle is currently very bad at being an airport"
when I'm making a PA telling the passengers why we're an hour late.

I kinda believe it because I know for a fact that one of my fellow CFIs was on the ILS in a skyhawk at the reported time +/- 20m.

The fact that that holds hundreds of people in 737s for any length of time blows my mind.