Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Might want to add to the Part 141 section that, in some cases with college programs (at least with us), you need to have a medical certificate in hand before you can even think of registering for the Private flight lab but YMMV, check with the college. This is apparently enough of an issue that our flight training partner hands out flyers with detailed instructions on what you have to do from MedXpress registration to the first flight.

Captain Apollo posted:

Needs to be an updated section on BasicMed.

Any volunteers?

Here's a starting point with FAQs: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The first word which caught my attention glancing over that page is "incompetant". Why doesn't this guy bitch about the threat of removing cars from the beaches in Volusia County? Also:

quote:

To All You Gay Epic/ERIK Flyers
that seem to have to invade Massey Airpark 2 and 3 at a time

I bet they are having a gay time flying airplanes. As a straight male, I had gay times flying airplanes from time to time. Touch and goes are fun as hell, especially with a little bit of a crosswind, but not to the point where "I ran out of rudder" is an uttered phrase. I'm looking for a fun female who wants to have gay times with me in an airplane. :sigh:

quote:

Q: What do you see when an Epic/ERIK flight instructor bends over?
A: A cockpit

God drat. :lol:

I've probably told this story before, but our training partner had some NIMBY complaints a few years ago about airport operations for an airport which opened in the 1940s. They shut the hell up when the airport director (and maybe the FBO owner, can't remember) said "You REALLY want to get the lawyers involved?" :smug:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

i am kiss u now posted:

I used to live right at the 27 approach end of KSAN and then right next to MCAS Miramar. Talk about jet noise (living next to KSAN was cool though, I could grab my scanner, go out on the balcony and watch the planes land from my 12th story apartment). I think most people get used to it after a while. I got to the point where I could sleep with all the windows open well into jet operation times and outside of noise abatement procedures. These people have literally nothing better to do with their time and just want something to complain about.

We vacationed in Puerto Rico when I was a kid and stayed across the street from roughly the 1000-footers on Runway 8 at SJU. We were typically awakened by the howl of a Fine Air DC-8 setting takeoff power and/or the PRANG F-16s taking off in the morning. You'd get a little bit of everything there, from DC-3s to 747s and Convair 440s to L-1011s and DC-10s. Saw my first 777 there, too.

We had a balcony which allowed us to see the Eagle ATR ramp and a couple of the AA jet gates, as well as part of the runway. What was really fun was when we discovered the fire escape, which allowed us a better view from the roof of the building. I only saw reverse ops a handful of times but seeing a DL 767-300 pop up from behind the trees for the first time was very :stonk:.

SJU also had the Aeroparque, which was a hangout on the airport property inside Runway 8. The place had a playground for kids and some picnic tables outside and an observation deck and bar on the second floor. Place would be packed on Sundays. Puerto Ricans seemed to love their airplanes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/breaking-news/legislators-proposed-regional-airports-would-attract-businesses/jRho5YFwq0JX72dabKZz2I/

This is the dumbest loving thing what is this I don't even :wtc: :ramsay:

TL;DR: dumbfuck Ohio politician wants to build two major airports in the middle of nowhere in Jeffersonville (about 20 minutes from Wilmington- we'll get back to that in a minute) and Ravenna (near Cleveland) to be Ohio's two airports on the condition that a major airline promise a hub there (:lol:). The new airports would be linked to major cities by train and CMH, LCK, DAY, CVG, YNG, CAK, and CLE would all be "left to the smaller airlines" or probably closed. (:roflolmao:)

I don't know much about NE Ohio, but...I mean...ILN has just been raped again and has two 10,000' runways. Maybe, you know, convert it to a passenger facility? :shrug:

e- What even is a "smaller airline" nowadays? That EAS operator running Piper twins out of PIT?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 3, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ohio couldn't even get high speed rail which was supposed to run from Cleveland to Cincinnati via Columbus and Dayton approved. How in the hell do they think this is going to go through?

I noticed Northwestern Ohio is not represented in this plan and, being a native, realize this state is bigger geographically than people think.. Maybe the congressman thinks they're all Poors who should be banished to DTW instead of being granted convenient access to SuperAirport Ohio.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I know they've got a bit of a Benedict Arnold image in the industry, but PSA is offering two round-trip, confirmed (not NRSA/non-rev, confirmed) tickets to any AA destination to any new employee who has a hire date on or before July 1, 2017. Apparently, even part-time employees may be eligible.

I...I love the aviation job I have now in Western Ohio, but god drat. :stonklol: Is this generosity or are they that desperate?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 5, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

That doesn't seem very enticing. What's the max that could be worth? $3-4K?

Maybe if it was business/first.

They're advertising it as a $6,000 value based on a CLT-MXP round-trip priced May 31st.

I tried to think of the farthest place I could go on it if I were to do it (CMH-SYD) and am surprised to see a 10 day trip leaving next Sunday is $1,376 round trip (CMH-LAX-SYD and back) on a refundable ticket. I guess it's low season there, though. CMH-ORD/DFW-NRT is $2,064.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Ya. I'm gonna keep going.

Scary thing though is because of rescheduling my flight test is now Friday of next week.

A 23rd.

Now, I'm not superstitious, except for that loving day of the month. So far most of the cool things and most of the loving terrible things that have happened in my life happen on the 23rd.

So I'm either going to pass my checkride or it's going to really go badly.

EDIT: they usually go poo poo good poo poo good though.

Last 6:

- Got the job where I met my wife.
- Engaged
- Married (not planned btw, that just happened to be the day that worked)
- Lost the job and started the two years of pain and bullshit the flight sim crew knows allll about.
- Bought the best bike I've ever owned.
- Got hit by a car.

So next notable event to fall on a 23rd is gonna be a good one.

EDIT2: oh ya I also got engaged on a 23rd and married on a 23rd. So much for that pattern.

Late to the party here, but when I was rapidly losing interest in becoming a professional pilot/continuing training, I knew I had to at least finish Instrument because I was so close to being done that it would've been a shame to stop so close to the finish line. The instrument checkride was miserable, but I felt a massive weight come off my shoulders knowing I'd at least followed through. Glad to see you're sticking with it.

And when it comes to dates, my first solo and (passed) Private checkride were both on August 9th. (Out of overthinking, I did the best ever right traffic pattern into a left pattern airport anybody's ever seen on the first try, so...don't do that.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

Captain C.B. Sully Sullenberger
51 mins ·

The U.S. Senators on the Commerce Committee yesterday passed an amendment to the FAA Reauthorization Bill that would weaken critically important pilot experience safety standards put in place after the tragic and preventable crash of Continental 3407 in Buffalo in February 2009. The amendment passed in a party line vote 14 to 13, with all Republicans voting for the amendment to weaken pilot safety standards and all Democrats voting to preserve them. This action by Republicans puts them on the wrong side of safety, of logic, of evidence, and of history.

I learned to fly over 50 years ago. The Wright brothers first flew 114 years ago. So, I have been a part of aviation for 44% of its entire history.

In aviation, we have learned important lessons at great cost, literally bought with the blood of dead passengers and crews. And those of us in aviation know that we have an obligation not to forget and have to relearn these important and costly lessons.

Those who support this effort to weaken critically important safety standards may not have forgotten the important lessons of Flight 3407, but think it too inconvenient to remember them.

Can somebody tell me what the amendment contains so I don't have to try and decipher from the senile old man shaking his cane on his porch at YOU drat KIDS and has gotten to where he's criticizing lobbyists in spite of essentially being one himself?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Isn't there a drone register in the US? That delay yesterday combined with work being done on my rail line home made what started out as a nice day into a bit of a slog.

There's also a drone rating now for commercial operations (which, as I found out recently in a discussion, apparently isn't an Airman Certificate). You can either take an online ground school and test or, for the previously-aviation inclined, get current on any of your ratings and fill out the appropriate 8710 form!

...you don't get any operations training, so you may not actually know how to operate something like a quadcopter but, hey, :911:.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fordan posted:

The thing is, in the law the US Congress passed telling the FAA they must come up with rules regarding commercial drones (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) they also said "the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—" and then list 5 conditions: basically that it be for recreation, under 55 pounds, flown according to model aircraft community guidelines, doesn't interfere with and gives way to manned aircraft, and if flown within 5 miles of an airport that the airport operator or ATC tower be contacted about the operation.

Most of the "rules" about recreational drone or model aircraft flying like keeping it under 400 feet, not over crowds, direct line of sight, etc, other than the 5 miles from an airport come from the AMA's guidelines as the "model aircraft community guidelines." But the FAA creating a model-aircraft registry falls afoul of "not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft" in the law Congress passed.

I'm kinda confused why you're you're seeing a lot of NOTAMs; recreational drone flying up there is mostly covered by the interim order from Transport Canada, and in it's new version actually isn't terrible. I'd think the only NOTAMs you'd see are commercial activity going over the 300 foot height limitation which I didn't think were that common.

If you have a part 61 airman certificate of any kind and a current BFR, you can have have part 107 commercial drone rights simply by taking this FAA Safety course! :eng101:

:colbert:

edit: Am... Am I out-Apolloing Apollo? :ohdear:
edit 2: Just looked closer at the course and it only takes the place of the test so IACRA is still needed.

Yeah, you still have to fill out an 8710. I guess you print a temporary certificate on the spot and they mail the permanent one to you.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

God drat it TC just shut down my flight school because their maintenance guy took a position with a different outfit and TC decided that the school didn't deserve the normal time period that operations are normally given to find replacement staff.

This is the second time TC has hosed them this year that I know of. First time was when they pulled the engine over hours exception that let them put on hours above normal operating life as long as they monitored oil consumption. We did loving monitor consumption on every engine and noted when we added oil, which was almost never, because the rings on all the planes are still perfect. What we didn't do was put a 'No oil added' entry in each daily. So they grounded the fleet and are making them install new engines.

Man, TC are a lot like the health and safety inspectors that go around to my wifes work sites; get one who burnt their toast that morning and your site is shut down for the dumbest poo poo.

My first flight school didn't have a resident staff A&P for several months and nothing happened because :911:.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

sleepy gary posted:

An Air Canada pilot attempted to Harrison Ford onto a taxiway with 4 waiting passenger jets at SFO:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/10/exclusive-sfo-near-miss-might-have-triggered-greatest-aviation-disaster-in-history/

:stare:

Until you pull up Facebook and see from a friend who's a United F/A:

quote:

We were the first plane Air Canada would have hit. We were next for takeoff. Fortunately, because our captain's quick thinking, I am alive today. Thanking all my guardian angels.

:stonk:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

All I ever needed to know about a professional aviation company and their questionable maintenance came from the chair of my college aviation program telling me there was nothing wrong with our airplanes when he had never flown them himself and was going off of their award-winning maintenance record.

I've read stories about a Tower Air 747 having all the autopilot systems fail, causing a flight to have to be hand flown between JFK and Tel Aviv.

I don't even.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CBJamo posted:

I found the semi-reclined seat to be very comfortable,

I have some time in a DA-40 and the seat is also a design flaw. If you're shorter than about 5'8", you'll need a booster seat. At 5'5", I had to have a cushion made which was big enough to push me to an "upright position" so I could fly the drat thing.

Fun airplane to fly, though!

e.pilot posted:

Just bring water and a good hat, the bubble canopy gets hot in the summer.

I have no idea how the hell people fly the twins at Riddle in the Summer because I flew the DA-40 in July and August in Ohio and downed a bottle of water after the first flight. A ball cap and a semi-frozen water bottle tagged along for the second flight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

If you were to get your license, by the time you've gotten it you'll have made a ton of new friends and acquaintances and somebody is always going flying sometime. It's a cool social network.

I would bet all of us here in the SA forums are probably connected to each other in the flying world by only 3 degrees of separation or so.

If I remember right from a Daytona 500 chat in IRC a while back, KodiakRS was two seniority numbers higher at his company than somebody I went to flight school with.

e- Interesting timing for this topic. Just found out one of the pilots on USAir 427 which crashed in Pittsburgh was in the same USAF unit as my current boss, which must've meant he spent time in this area as my boss' entire career revolved around being stationed at WPAFB and Rickenbacker. :(

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 27, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

gently caress it. Who's creating the linkedin?

We could go great guns with this. We could replicate Rowdy Ringsports by doing an Aviation Synchtube channel and nerding the gently caress out with likeminded individuals while we're at it.

Related, it's a slow-assed day in the office so I'm watching the Gemini DC-10 World Air Routes DVD on my MFD right monitor while doing actual work on the PFD left monitor. It's tangentially work-related, so :shrug:.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

One of our instructors, who spoke with a very faint Southeastern Ohio twang, insisted on saying a heavily drawled "Annnnnd Deeepahchuhhhh" like you hear guys in ATL say when checking in.

sellouts posted:

speaking of good places to go when is Waco getting a fixer upper themed approach?

You talking NAVAIDs/waypoints?

I'm surprised nobody in Columbus has made either OSU or CBJ-themed waypoints. Some of the fixes on the way into PIT are chock full of drat dirty Penguins references.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

MrYenko posted:

:gbsmith:

The captain that narrates the first bit of that, I can't recall his name, he was a genuine first-rate-duder. My favorite flight-crew in the entire airline.

Did you catch the tail number in the video? The last time I saw it was 2008.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNNnt25y2e4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8kDHzO3WJ8

This is one of the better videos JustPlanes did. The captain in the left seat was Steve Ricks. The one in the right seat (Italian guy; there was no F/O on the trip) was Chris something.

N606GC.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

It's so weird to think that, at every level of aviation, there's always That Plane that has weird loving issues and you just don't like flying.

WHY CAN'T I CLOSE THE DOOR ON 691? :negative:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

The OP needs updated, I'm now officially a commercial pilot!

Hot drat. :hfive:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Air Canada A320 at SFO indicated an altitude of 85 feet when they decided to go around, sinking to 59 feet while the plane responded to the application of full throttle.

e- Pic didn't want to load. Go here to see the landing lights from an A320 reflect off the top of the fuselage of a United 787:

http://www.businessinsider.com/air-...r-the-taxiway-3

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 4, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I don't really know the history of SFO so I don't know if this is the case, but there are many times that old runways are converted to taxiways during airport remodels

The original 28L/10R at CMH is this way now. When they moved the runway south to allow simultaneous approaches, the old runway became a taxiway.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

MrYenko posted:

All presidential TFRs are a giant middle finger to GA. Ask Hawaiian GA businesses what it was like when Obama was visiting home.

Presidential TFRs shouldn't loving exist. He's not that important.

Training in Southwest Ohio was fun during the 2012 election.

"Oh, you want to do an XC to Columbus today? Too bad, Mittens is in town!"

"Obama's in Cincinnati. It'd sure be nice if our airport was 3-4 miles North of where it actually is..."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ExpressJet just dumped Delta: https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/expressjet-to-end-delta-connection-flights/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

It's simple. Just use precious air time to broadcast a streamlined messa......

Ahhhhhh...memories of flying a 152 in an afternoon time slot and hearing this almost daily on Dayton Approach. :3:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Practiced ascending and descending turns today in the 152. I got pretty airsick towards the end and we had to cut it short about 20mins early, my instructor landed us as I wasn't feeling well. :( I hope that feeling doesn't turn into a big barrier for training and I can learn to control it.

How far along are you in training? I flew the 152 in private and, of the first 10 lessons or so, I wound up queasy on nearly all of them, though never actually sick. For me, it was the combination of heat, afternoon flying and the ensuing turbulence, and the concern about being sick being an issue.

Once I got about 10 lessons in, things got drastically better, almost as if someone flipped a light switch.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Practiced ascending and descending turns today in the 152. I got pretty airsick towards the end and we had to cut it short about 20mins early, my instructor landed us as I wasn't feeling well. :( I hope that feeling doesn't turn into a big barrier for training and I can learn to control it.

Chaindor posted:

I would agree as a fresh 100hr PPL. At some point you start to look deeper into the step turn, or not be as panicked as you glance down at the altimeter during a turns around a point. Things seem to slow down as muscle memory takes over during maneuvers and that really helped my nausea.

Still with the right combination of heat, turbulence, and time I think it can rear its ugly head for anyone. I did ~3hr winter flight from Columbus to Grand Rapids due high headwinds that was super bumpy under a broken layer. Since it was so cold, and the 172 is sealed like a barn door, I had the heat pointed straight at my face. 20min from the end of the flight I was reaching for a garbage bag anticipating the worse, but shortly after that I got the field in sight and my nausea disappeared. For me it's as much of a mental aliment as a physical one.

For me going in, my main, irrational but somewhat valid at the same time concern was airsickness. I could fly in the back of a 757 just fine (still can), but I had a nagging concern about performance maneuvers based on a backseat ride at ERAU when I was 13 which did not go well at all when we got to Steep Turns (I feel like we might've done stalls/spins, too). I also felt badly that the CFI and student I rode with had to contend with a backseater who took a nap in the back on the way back to DAB to (successfully) avoid puking, which translated to not wanting to feel like I was wasting my CFI's time by feeling like poo poo later in the flight (and I think we even adapted to this by doing Steep Turns/Stalls/Unusual Attitudes last). Everybody I flew with when I had problems was totally understanding.

Once I got into training myself, I didn't have as much trouble with Steep Turns because I kinda had fun with them, but drat if the Flying Kite didn't spin with relative ease (though that later became an incentive to learn how to recover properly as quickly as possible). Unusual Attitudes really aren't bad if you get a CFI who is gentle with the setup for the recovery, too. My initial CFI would jerk you around, but all the ones I had after would do them gently in part because they felt you'd actually get more disoriented with calm maneuvering. (Goon CFIs- agree or disagree?)

Still, 10-12 lessons in, the tendency to get queasy seemed to disappear like magic though, as you pointed out, get hit with a blast of exhaust during slow flight one day after already having done the solo XC that morning or have your CFI do Unusual Attitudes one too many times during checkride review and...yeah. Chalk it up to poo poo happens/anybody under any set of circumstances can have things go badly fast.

Other tips I'd offer from firsthand experience:
a) Keep expectations in check- this is a process and there's not always a reason to hammer through it. I had an ear infection at the start of Private and my goal was to have PPL by the end of the Summer, so we briefly doubled up my flights. In retrospect, it was a disaster. The morning flights were nice because the world was still, but I'd get anxious about the afternoon flight, combined with the factors mentioned in my previous post, and not exactly be perfect on the S, A, F, and maybe E in IMSAFE.
b) Do the best you can, but don't beat yourself up trying to be perfect. I was a bit of a dumbass at 17 and was trying to do my best on each lesson when really, as my instructor put it, "this is all practice".
c) Fly in the morning, if possible. Getting up early sucks, but the world is still in the morning and thermals don't tend to be an issue until 11am or Noon, which is why I took morning timeslots when I had to do a fuckton of time building for Instrument under Part 61 and building time to approach 250 for the later-aborted Commercial effort.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

a patagonian cavy posted:

I completed my PPL oral with my examiner basically skimming everything because I was ahead of all his questions (have a great CFI) but my practical has been cancelled twice due to thunderstorms

gently caress florida

The instructors at my original pilot mill flew at the home campus before the satellite opened and basically said if you might as well not show up if you had a flight scheduled for 2pm or after in the summer.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

:golfclap:

Poll for the thread: What's the highest windspeed you've seen on your local airport's sensors? Mine was 45G51KT, and thank gently caress I wasn't flying at the time...

37G45 when I was deliberately checking to see what the winds were doing on a day I was otherwise supposed to fly.

I saw a gust of 73 knots at Rickenbacker one time when a line of storms was pushing and I checked out of curiosity, though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd like to think this is somehow an ATC Memes Photoshop (that's where I saw it) and nothing more but, given the trail, Air Shuttle :wtc:?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

"Looks like an impressive storm!" He shouts above the noise of the four engines. "We need to do the mission at an altitude that's low, but no so low that its real rough and we get bad radar data."
"Well, Hugo's definitely getting his act together," I shout back. "Do you still want to try it at 1,500 feet?"
"Well, we got away with it in Hurricane Gabrielle last week, and Hugo looks like it's about the same strength. Let's try the first penetration at 1,500, and if it's too rough, we'll climb to 5,000," he answers.
"OK, 1,500 it is!" I yell back. As Frank disappears back into the cockpit to take the chief scientist's seat, I get on the intercom.

"Lowell, they want to go in at 1,500 feet. How do you feel about that?" I sound and feel nervous about this choice.
"Fifteen hundred, hey?" he responds. I can tell by his tone of voice he feels none too comfortable with this choice, either. "I'd be happier at 5,000."
"Yeah, me too. But we got away with it last week in Gabrielle, and if it's rough on the first penetration, we can do the rest of the mission at 5,000."
"All right," sighs Lowell. "We'll take her down to 1,500 and see how it goes. Are you happy with this track?"

Can't really blame this one on the pilot as much, but that reads like a Gleim question where the correct answer is:

quote:

Hazardous Attitude 4: Invulnerability
'Nah I dont think it'll happen to me!'
Despite the fact that mishaps in aviation do have a rather low percentage probability, many still rest assured on this fact and oft take it for granted. Such attitudes would compromise vigilance and cause pilots to overlook certain issues that they feel are of less importance (going thru checklist twice, good lookout). Remember accidents can happen to ANYONE!

...which got ignored as gently caress there.

e- I read the whole thing and :tviv:. The P-3 and C-130 are meant to take it. An E175? No, thank you. I'm trying to find a return log on FlightAware and can't, so that plane either didn't go back to IAH or stayed at QRO.

I'm just wondering why somebody between dispatcher/crew/controller didn't route them around it. That is "Move the rig" if I've ever seen it.

On a side note, reading the story with a CHiPs soundtrack video from YouTube playing in the background made for an interesting supplement as long as you got one of the good songs.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 28, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Butt Reactor posted:

Somebody reposted the same pic to our company Facebook page, we all had a good laugh until someone pointed it out could have been one of our jets if Mesa hadn't taken the majority of the Houston regional flying lately :aaa:

Right, but would your dispatchers have drawn up a flight plan right through a hurricane and/or would any of your captains have said anything other than ":lol: no" when they got the paperwork?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Two Kings posted:

Dispatcher: I gave you 1000 lbs extra for deviations and an alternate. It looks like it's starting to die down. I think you'll be fine.

"Let me just polish up my resume once we get to the hotel tonight and..."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Our chief flight instructor and flight training manager, who seemed content to run the flight school and instruct until retirement (and had done so for 10 years at least), abruptly hosed off for the airlines.

I had a promotion pending which was dependent on her staying. I would've moved from the office to the airport. :suicide:

e- gently caress, I forgot she was going to try and get me a raise over my current job, too. Higher hourly pay with a few less hours worked (net result would've been I'd have made more) and infinite remote work ability. :negative:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 18, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Isn't the FAA reauthorization act up for vote in the next few days, along with its revised hiring requirements?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Animal posted:

It's Kafkaesque and scary as gently caress. If someone doesn't feel ready for the upgrade and says no, will they be disciplined for refusing to take it?

I honestly can't believe Sully hasn't hopped on the soapbox about 10 month upgrade captains yet unless somebody told him to STFU about it. This (forced upgrades) would be a valid talking point.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Our school just signed a partnership with a regional and it saddens me there's going to be a "lost generation" of pilots who got hired after 1500 was put in place, but before salaries went up, incentives were offered, and stuff like Cadet Programs came into place where there was tuition reimbursement.

One of our CFIs said a few months ago he'd have stuck around with us to 1500 had we gotten the cadet program live sooner. Instead, he went to a fractional flying PC-12s about a month before it was made official.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 4, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

biznatchio posted:

So what's this going to do to commercial air travel? Sucking up to 1,000 pilots away from the airlines sounds like it might have an impact.

Well, I did quite a bit of heavy lifting for our aviation program over the Summer. Might as well go full-blown Chair if Donnie tells my boss to get back in a C-17.

:lol: gently caress that poo poo, I'll just keep my current job and let somebody else take over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Animal posted:

Man, what a flight yesterday. Doing a 10 day long charter for a hockey team in a nice 767 owned by a well known billionaire. Except that its an older model and has some quirks.

2.5hr flight. On take-off we get a R ENG BLEED failure indication, then the automation decides to go HAL9000 and just not do anything we wanted to do. So while I am flying an RNAV departure on raw data, the captain is trying to communicate with ATC and then deal with the EICAS problem. After 20,000ft the automation unscrewed itself after switching modes and autopilots lke crazy. We continue the flight with the right engine bleed valve closed, which means only one PACK. Fine.

One hour into a smooth clear day flight, as we are eating the best catering I've ever had, we hit moderate to near severed mountain wave turbulence just east of BZN. No warning. We were the first aircraft to get it. The autopilot did a great job not disconnecting, but I had to toss my food aside just to get a grip of the controls. Plane was being tossed around so bad that the captain had a hard time adjusting the speed knob. And of course the flight attendants are doing their full service, so they and their food carts go zero G. Supposedly one of them made it all the way up to the ceiling. There was broken glass, food, bags, clothes, etc everywhere. They were lucky they only suffered few sprained ankles and emotional trauma. These were the young, fit flight attendants that they use for charters. I can't imagine how our elderly, overweight FA's that they use for other kinds of PAX flights would have fared.

After handling that we pressed on to our destination, where 35-40kt winds waited for us. Luckily they were only 20 degrees off the runway centerline. Great landing by yours truly. Felt like a 7 hour flight.

I can't imagine how a smaller plane would have gone through that clear air turbulence. In my 10 years of flying professionally I've been through some rough chop but this was nuts, a B767 getting tossed around as if it were a Cessna.

My CFI and I got the poo poo kicked out of us descending into and climbing out of Bloomington, Indiana in a 172SP on my instrument cross country on one of those days where it was clear, sunny, windy, and you knew there was a fairly good chance you were going to hate life. Weirdest thing was we got to 5000 feet on the climb and it went totally calm.

I can only imagine what it was like in a 767.