Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
For an OP update, got my CFII back in December and Commercial Multi in Feb.

Also got my class date for the airlines! End of July I'll be off to CTP school for the ATP written. What a journey it's been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I'll be doing an in-house CTP for my airline

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Awesome. I start indoc on the 175 in early August. Just hit my 1500 and am taking a nice vacation til then.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Animal posted:

I'll probably start B-767 captain training soon. I haven't bothered checking when I'll get it so I'm sure I will be notified by a friend and then I'll be super stressed out trying to catch up on all the studying I should be doing already

Wow that seems really quick. You've only been with them about a year right?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Wide body captain in 2 years. That's crazy.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

The Airbus flight control and automation system is really good right up until it encounters a situation the automation can't handle. Then it becomes a disaster waiting to happen. The human factors part of the design is basically non existent which has lead to multiple crashes that could have been easily prevented.

I'm in 175 ground school right now and embraer seems to have designed a much more pilot friendly but still highly automated system.

Got my first day of indoc tomorrow but we were able to fly the E170 sim for the ATP-CTP course. What a dream to fly.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

sanchez posted:

I'm glad I fly out of the DC SFRA and therefore radios are more or less mandatory. I don't get the mindset of anyone who would fly without at least a portable that they can receive CTAF calls with. I understand some airplanes don't have electrical systems or workload may not permit transmission (have heard this from glider pilots), but receive-only capability costs $200 and requires very little effort.

Back in July I came uncomfortably close (could see the pilots shirt color) to a 172 in a classic high wing vs low wing situation approaching an uncontrolled field. If that guy had bothered to make a call or two, I'd probably have modified my approach a little to avoid his general area. "see and avoid" is a cop out, we can do better.

Where do you fly out of? I did my private at KVKX and instructed at KMTN.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

sanchez posted:

FME. I did my PPL written at MTN, looked like a large training operation up there.

You probably took the written at the school I taught at

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

OP update - ATP ERJ170/190 KLGA !! I guess I'm an airline pilot now!

:toot: :toot: :toot:

Sim ride began with an RTO, backed up to departure end, normal takeoff, radar vectors to join the DP. FMS re-routes. Steep turns. Cargo aft smoke det fail, return to airport. Expect vectors for ILS 5R Cat 2. Missed approach, turning stall in the missed. Procedure turn for RNAV 32, ATC "go around" in the flare. Flap/Slat fail, LOC approach full stop. Back it up to threshold. V1 cut, hand flown single engine ILS to a missed approach, hand flown single engine visual approach.

Actual flying portion was about 1 hr 20 minutes. Wowowowow

:hfive:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Once I finish IOE I'll be up in LGA to sit reserve, I'm sure we can find a time

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Well, gently caress.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Well it looks like the Endeavor TA passed :homebrew:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

what sort of plane is this?

Legendary

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

xaarman posted:

Anyone have any strong opinions on living in MIA vs PHL?

I do like Florida's no state income tax... but drat it is pricey.

I like that PHL has the ability to take public transportation to the airport, but I'm leaving the midwest... I'd rather not go straight to the same weather.

Are you looking at a particular regional which has bases in PHL and MIA?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Sure. As of Jan 31 I'll be DCA based but happy to answer any questions.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

February is close enough. OP update please, base change. Finally home.

KDCA - ATP ERJ170/190 CFI/CFII

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

xaarman posted:

Airline guys:

So it looks like I'm going to have to do about 4 months of commuting (from the west coast ugh) to LGA. I'd rather do hotel rooms then a crash pad, but LGA/JFK hotels don't seem cheap. What do the veterans do? Is it even worth going home if I only have two days off between blocked reserve time? Enjoy a 4 month New York deployment?

I hated my Kew Gardens crash pad. it was a $24 round trip cab ride to the airport. If you want a crashpad within walking distance to LGA Terminal C lemme know.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

AWSEFT posted:

I'm in Kew Gardens. You obviously called the wrong cab company. I've never paid more than $12 to cab to either airport from Kew

$12 there, $12 back. $24 round trip. Kew Cab. The 8 minute walk to LGA is infinitely more convenient

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Jumping from flight instruction to the 121 world - man I really miss Foreflight. The Jepp charts are great, but JeppFD sucks a big one.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

We attempted LGA on Friday but ended up diverting. We shoulda been cancelled from the get go

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Skywest has a captain flow to SWA. Republic has a captain flow to SWA. Air Wisconsin has a captain flow to SWA. News flash, SWA is taking captains from all over so their big competitors don't!

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

OK I watched 20 minutes of ABC primetime last night and saw that the pendulum can swing too far the other way. Some tv mom setting up a jack shack for her kid with portraits of RBG was a bridge too far, now I even want to give someone a wedgie.

Wut

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Slaughter I have a question for you, do you have private messaging?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

So I guess y'all have seen this already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7FR7TjnME

(top left, flying right to left)

I didn't realize they got that close to the ground

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

Doing it the right way I see.

I wish I could downvote this

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

That certain Utah based regional isn't what it used to be and I can't recommend going somewhere else strongly enough.

Are you CRJ or ERJ?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Last 727 flight for Amerijet, and the last flight for that airframe, ever. Landing Sebring to get turned into beer cans.

:(

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AJT99

It will continue to bring joy to people

It seems like the CRJ and ERJ side are 2 completely different airlines. Or are a lot of the ERJ people just as unhappy?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Am I correct in remembering we have at least 1 Horizon people here? Could any Horizoner send me a PM?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

We've had that rumor since Jan. I'll believe it when it happens

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

fordan posted:

I think most GA pilots are fine talking to ATC if they are are planning to fly through R space to verify it’s inactive. The people who aren’t aware of the R space and bumble through it aren’t going to be talking to ATC, and aren’t going to be monitoring 121.5 even if they have multiple radios. I’d argue even the non-oblivious pilots are mostly not monitoring guard regardless of how many radios they have. I know I generally don’t unless planning to do some ADIZ/SFRA/FRZ flying or I know there’s a Presidential TFR nearby. But I am usually talking to ATC if they aren’t too busy for flight following.

This. Monitoring Guard is not a thought that enters the average GA pilots mind, ever.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Slaughter posted:

Trying to get some internals... goonternals? Ya never know. I hear the magic number is 4 internals. I’m really awkward at asking for them, though!

For what it's worth, I heard from a United recruiter after one of their presentations that internals and outside references are scored the same. And 4 gets you the max points, but again, it makes no difference (points/algorithm wise) if they come from a United person or some other.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

Just put my app in to Atlas. :sludgepal:

You should have been at the job fair today in ANC instead of doing your dumb application!

Atlas won't call you at mins, you gotta really network with that low time. But definitely keep updating that app!

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

Our start procedure is literally "rotate start/stop selector to start, release selector, monitor start." We don't even have to add fuel and the FADEC will (in theroy) protect the engine from hot starts, no light off, no starter cut out, ect.

The fuel injected 172s I learned to fly in were way harder to start. Especially on a cold morning.

Amen. The 170 is great :allears:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

vessbot posted:

I will be for the next 4 days! Which includes my first trip to DCA, hopefully they'll be doing the river visual :dance:

Are you taking a Beech 99 into DCA?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Hey I just came from there. Totally unrelated.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

MrChips posted:

You guys have no idea about uncomfortable aircraft until you fly the Grumman Cougar. That thing was miserable if you were over, say, 5'9" tall (like I am); my head would sit up against the roof, and there was no way at all to adjust the seat height since you were basically sitting on a rail fixed right to the wing spar.

I have no idea how my 6'7" classmate managed to do his multi/multi-IFR ratings, not without extensive visits to a physiotherapist at least...

I'm about 5' 9" and loved everything about the Cougar

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

Speaking of stratux, do any of you guys have experience with it versus the stratus or sentry? Are you pretty much just paying for the form factor and internal battery?

And paying for the fact that it's sold at Sporty's. Save your money and build a Stratux

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

PT6A posted:

whingefest

Every now and then you're reminded how Canada was a British colony.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Desi posted:

Funny we're having this discussion about time-over-fixes, I just saw a memo our company put out about YYZ Approach implementing such a procedure for the early morning arrivals before the lifting of the 07:30LT arrival curfew. Early morning arrivals will be assigned a time to cross over one of the "bedpost" fixes on the various STARs that is to be followed +/- 2min. If you are early, you hold; late, you rock on through at max forward speed. Apparently we'll be getting the times through our company either printed on the OFP or via ACARS.

Pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

We’re you on an IFR flight plan?

I can't tell if you're being facetious or if you are genuinely encouraging GA pilots to go around blind "Because you're on an IFR flight plan"