Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Who knew wearing the hat was so important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Good god...

You can see right there at 1:02 where they turn their lights on. Man, that is terrifying.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 4, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

azflyboy posted:

I'm pretty sure there is (or at least used to be) something in either the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge or the Airplane Flying Handbook that mentions pilots should consider using supplemental oxygen above 5000ft at night, so maybe that's where Riddle got the limitation from.

I live in Colorado.

Maybe I should use oxygen for my drive home tonight.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sure, I just think it's funny...

I got my Pvt Pilot in California, in the Bay Area. My home field had an elevation of 4' MSL, and you had to take a "mountain checkout" if you were going to land on a field over 2000' MSL.

Now I live in Colorado, where the closest field with a 2000' MSL is in the next state over...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

e.pilot posted:

You would need to be going really really fast and probably wouldn’t survive to make it to 2000ft here, so their math checks.

Huh - for what it's worth, I also went to Metro.

(I'm not a pro- pilot, just private, never flown anything bigger than a C-182.)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

e.pilot posted:

Aviation major?

No, flying is just a hobby/weekend pastime for me.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently the airspace down in the Florida swamps is a leeetle less complicated than that over the Bay Area.

I learned to fly in the Bay Area (KSQL, first solo out of HAF). It was a challenging environment for a student pilot.

Now I fly in Colorado, and everything feels so... empty.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

overdesigned posted:

My dad, a literal lifelong pilot, has, after a stroke and 2 years learning to walk/everything else again, gotten his BasicMed, completed his BFR, and soloed the family 140.

:unsmith:

Outstanding!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

So if someone fails a checkride like that is it pretty much the end of their flying career?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

azflyboy posted:

The regional I work for had someone get 90% of the way through the interview process before anyone realized the guy had zero flight time in actual airplanes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sagebrush posted:

I took this picture on approach to KRHV a few months ago, when they were resurfacing everything:

31L has been resurfaced but is closed and has workers on it. 31R is active and has not yet been redone. The dark surface to the right of 31R is TWY Y.

It's easy to imagine how a distracted pilot could line up on yankee without a second thought.

Huh, I learned to fly out of San Carlos, I flew to that airport as a student pilot.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Anyone mind answering what is probably a really dumb question?

I'm a private pilot. I've never flown anything bigger than a C-182. I got my license when I lived in California, then moved to Colorado.

Colorado has weird weather that can change quite quickly. We'll go from calm and clear to OMG hailstorm in a matter of minutes. I try to take this into account when I'm planning a flight. I check the weather and always - always - plan for alternatives. What if I can't make it back to my home field? What if I'm out somewhere and get stuck? What if the airport I'm planning to land at has huge gusty crosswinds?

But, again, I'm a private pilot. I'm not flying on someone else's schedule. If I get stuck I call the place where I rented the plane and tell them I'm not going to make it back that day and maybe call my work and tell them I might not make it in on Monday morning.

So how do those of you who fly the big planes handle a situation like this? Last weekend Denver/DIA had some crazy weather. Clear skies, then gusty winds, then clear skies, then hail. I understand that you've got a lot more information on the weather, but then again I don't think the airport closed or diverted any flights. What do you do if you're scheduled to come in and land but find out there might be hail on the way down?

This is probably a silly question, but again, my experience with aviation is probably very, very different from yours if you're getting paid for it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Another dumb question from someone who has never flown anything bigger than a C-182, if you don't mind.

How do those of you who fly big planes pre-flight? Do you actually walk around the aircraft, or is that something a mechanic does?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Rickety Cricket posted:

Yes we still do walk arounds. We don't do the nitty gritty GA stuff, we don't check oil and don't sump fuel. It's more of a general condition inspection. How are the tires and brakes? How are the fan blades in the engine? Did we hit any birds? Any obvious dents in the airplane that don't belong? Cracked lenses. Things of that nature.

Thanks for the answer, that's good to hear. I don't recall seeing a pilot getting out and walking around an aircraft while waiting for a flight, let alone trying to move the rudder to check the hinges like you would in a C-182, but I'm glad you still do it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Two Kings posted:

Dr. Gleim is a real person? And alive? I figured he was like Mavis Beacon.

Or John and Martha King.

They're not real, right?

RIGHT?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hobbesmaster posted:

This rules tbh. Should be standard phraseology.

Yes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

If the Enterprise burns 17 gallons of antimatter in 2hrs 35mins how much antimatter are they burning per hour?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Aviation Megathread: If money were no object, I would

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sagebrush posted:

How do banner-towing planes take off and land? Do they just start with the banner lying on the ground behind the plane and drag it along the (presumably grass) runway, or do they winch it in somehow? What dangers do you have to be aware of in those operations?

The planes have a hook, like a tail-hook.

They take off, then circle around, fly low, and snag the banner, hoping that they don't screw up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNC9w1j6HQ

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

e.pilot posted:

You couldn’t pay me enough to go back into the military.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

vessbot posted:

Another fun fact, France (the torchbearers of Western civilization) used the Paris Meridian and didn't give in to the Greenwich one, all the way until shortly before WWI.

This was a plot-point in a Tintin comic:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Passenger with no flying experience lands plane: Link.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

A C-172 vs. two F-15s.

Seems fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

CBJSprague24 posted:

Southwest just reduced their hiring to 500 turbine preferred.

300 hours in a Cessna 172, Imma put in a resume.