Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Call in sick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Given that it's Canada, they undoubtedly started with "half an inch" (either because that's what the SFU study used, or because it was just convenient) and then went "oh poo poo, we have to make this metric" and rounded it to 12.5mm because 12.7 would be even more suspicious.

See also: Canadian letter paper being 99.7% the size of US letter paper because it's 8.5x11" rounded to the nearest millimeter, Canadian fuel economy numbers being all wrong because they're allowed to say "miles per gallon" (instead of l/100km) but it has to be the British imperial gallon, everyone knowing their height in feet and inches even though all the ID cards have it in centimeters, etc

A lot of people I know in the BC interior just use Fahrenheit. Also I think 4L jugs are just gallon jugs filled a little higher.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

It’s their current in-progress design.

That said, it probably won’t resemble the 757 as much as the 767. Personally, I think the 757 is the most beautiful twinjet ever built.

Somebody post the pic of the really long 757 please

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Pryor on Fire posted:

Boeing is completely hosed. Massive reform is coming for the FAA.

Yeah right.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmzy8ZPgtc
I don't know if these safety videos might help deter people, but this guy just kept going toward bad weather despite reports, saying he'd "slide his way out" or "pick his way out" if it got too bad. The amount of denial is incredible. RIP and all, but yeah.
Edit: tldw he crashed after flying 100 feet above the freeway in heavy snow IIRC, not gonna watch the whole video now.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 9, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

There's a barnswallow nest right above the door to the flight school and for the last several weeks it's had five baby beaks pointing out and cheeping every time you walk by, and today the babies were all out sitting on the rails learning to fly.

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

They usually come back year after year, if you don't block it off after getting tired of the bird poop.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do you have stairs in your cockpit??

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

e.pilot posted:

The 747 actually does :smugdon:

On the old three crew models you'd use the flight engineer's seatback & jump seat seatback as steps. Dunno what you do with the new one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y5lNVbBeiU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh poo poo. Sounds like at least 150k people are stranded

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Ferret King posted:

Good opportunity to review communicating aircraft equipment issues with ATC. I knew what the situation was from the description and the captions, and I still heard "returning to land" when he said "runaway trim."

Also, ATC may not understand the phrase "runaway trim." Dumbing it down is always best. I know these guys were trying not to die, so not judging of course. But just something to think about in your personal operating practices.

I don't think ATC fully understood how out of control that aircraft really was until well-after the situation had calmed down.

I was wondering if they should have stopped everything given how uncertain it was they were in control of the plane? That's obviously a huge call at Atlanta.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How the gently caress does this genius have a twin engine plane with nice avionics and I drive a 14 year old Mazda with an exhaust leak.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it should always be read back

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

azflyboy posted:

Currently sitting in the ER because I came down with flu symptoms after going through SEA about a billion times in the last few weeks.

Totally gonna change my username to Captain Trips.

Looks like it's the normal flu, not the Boomerbonic Plague.

👏

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KodiakRS posted:

If you're wondering how an airplane with no engines and tires flatter than a 10 year old soda ended up like that: https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/fqd9gq/jet_runup_blows_over_planes_and_hanger/

Pro click for the video of it blowing over a whole drat hangar. I can't see the source of the jet blast though, the video is too shaky.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It would be smart for airlines to offer vouchers for cancelled travel. I know I will travel again, just don't know when. Brussels airlines did this for me; Czech Airlines tried to get me to reschedule and then charge me more because it's more expensive at that time of year :rolleyes:. I don't even know when to reschedule to because who loving knows? United gave me a refund although I would have taken a voucher cause again, gotta travel.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I have never once gone to ORD when there wasn’t snow on the ground partially blocking signs. The worst thing ever.

Speaking of DFW, I’m here overnight and haven’t seen a single mask and everyone’s out and about. Texas is going to be so screwed.

They're having record numbers the past few days.

Also I found out last time I was at O'Hare the a/c is not that strong. It was super humid, inside.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

hey look what's still around in the 23rd century

Kirk and Spock were the ultimate hipsters. Sure, today's hipsters use record players that are several decades old. Those guys went several centuries.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Warranty?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was actually wondering what it's like, having been in Oregon earlier this week and now in Seattle. :eek:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, there's a reason why we're practicing stuck pedal emergencies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUvIvPm4-5A

Great job!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Some expenses you can deduct from your taxes if it's for a charity? At least that's how it works transporting animals. Otherwise no money as always. I'll try and find the website when I get home. But that's getting really far from the OP's question.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Beautiful. I'm south of the border but I'm guessing you got some of that wonderful weather too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'd take a corona test every day if it meant this poo poo would be over with. If we had that capability it would be.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I try and go to the interior every year, and I think they do power line maintenance by helicopter on a few of the roads I go on (at least they used to)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If your mask has a valve (a lot of n95s), the passenger airlines ban them, or at least require you to wear a surgical mask over the valves.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Seems good for 767s though?

It was unpowered though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVvt7hP5a-0

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Two Kings posted:

What ever happened to the bare foot bandit?

He's out on parole doing some clerical work.

Also old locks are often just worn out, so even if they aren't technically the same key, they work anyways. See: stealing a 90s Honda or Toyota

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it the same guy that's trying so desperately to get out of the dock that he's redlining while tied up and arguing with everyone? 💩🤪

Edit: and one float was flooded 😬

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are Canadian pilots chuds too? 💩

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm assuming with the careful planning and memorization you do for your flight most of what you discuss with ATC will make sense against the documentation and whatever is in your FMC that even if you don't hear it correctly, the text fills in the blanks and it's easier to understand.

Not a pilot but from watching AOPA videos, never make assumptions and always ask for a read back.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Who should ask for a read back?

I meant ask for a repeat, if you don't hear something or ask for clarification if you're confused. And yeah like Sagebrush said sometimes our brains override us anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Ah, a readback is when you repeat what you just received to confirm that you heard it correctly. For instance, if the tower tells you "hold short of runway 30" and you say "roger" (don't) they'll come back with "I need a readback on the hold short instruction," because you need to actually repeat your callsign/tail number and the phrase "holding short" over the radio to verify that you understood.

When you need something repeated for clarification that's called...well it doesn't really have a name but the phrase you use is "say again."

You should be doing the readback always though right...at least hypothetically! I noticed in the Vasaviation video the other day the controller didn't enforce it for takeoff clearance from the pilot and they were having trouble understanding things, it seemed like (stroke? Or something similar). Blargh

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't that one of the landing challenges in MSFS2020?

Paro in Bhutan.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
We all do

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, you just have to wait for some more clues to be revealed to even get a reasonable idea.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KodiakRS posted:

A lot of data does get uploaded in more or less real time. As for the rest, collecting, processing, transmitting, recieving, and storing that data would be a royal pain. Every step of the process would need to be engineered, certified, installed, and maintained. Which is a lot of effort, time and money to spend on supplementing something with a <1 in 100,000,000 chance of being destroyed on any given flight.

For what it's worth ET302 hit the dirt at 450+ knots with a huge vertical component to its velocity and both it's FDR and CVR were able to be retrieved.

Atlas Air 3591 was around 430 knots too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsSNr5DR840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's not black magic. It's just a system of linear equations. Like, 100,000 linear equations in 100,000 unknowns. Unless you want your schedule to not suck and actually have all of Crew, Plane, and Gate availability. In which case it's three directed weighted graphs that are linked with weighted nodes that all have to be optimized in an inter-related way. In this paper to serve as my submission for PhD, I shall....

It's black magic.

Quantum computing is just a few years away :v: