Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Ain't gonna lie, if I won the lottery, I'd go to the states, get a PPL, get a plane (preferably the noisiest I could manage) and fly a big rear end banner from the back of it saying "eat poo poo NIMBYs" until they had to bring me down with AA fire.

Bonus points if you get something like a Harvard that at max rpm can break the sound barrier with the prop tips and become really incredibly loud, like louder than anything with pistons has the right to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
They do it in a kinda sketchy looking way, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-CAfldST8M

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
AAAAAAAAAAAAA flight test on the 15th :ohdear:

At least I got my soft field landings down pat.

I also told my wife that she isn't allowed to even think about beginning, continuing or finishing a renovation or other project until I'm done.

Unlike the last 2 times I scheduled my flight test. :argh:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ever try to do a landing in a high crosswind have your lift drop off right at the flare and then pick right up and blow you off the runway after plopping you down right of the centerline so you hit a runway light and leave a golf ball sized sent in the flap and then have to sit there in the grass waiting for a tow back on to the runway?

Because I have :smith:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya I'm a bit rattled and annoyed because well that sucked and also I'm not enjoying flying nearly as much this year as I was last year and in some ways it feels like a huge waste to keep going.

But then again I'm so close to being done and my wife and a bunch of others want me to finish and everyone says that flying is what finally turned my life and attitude around and it'd be a shame to just quit.

But tbh I have like another grand or so worth of flying to do and I'm just kinda not as enthusiastic about it.

EDIT: poo poo probably closer to two or three.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 11, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya the thing is this has nothing to do with my little mishap.

The thing is I don't make a lot of money, I have other expensive hobbies I enjoy, and even before this mishap and being hit by a car on my bike and all the other things that have heaped a ton of annoyances on my life that got me all stressed out... when I got back into the cockpit this year my reaction was 'meh'.

Like this weekend. I spent all day at the school doing study and ground work and did a practice exam. And it all felt like work. Even being in the cockpit feels like work. I'm paying about 140 an hour wet and 225 an hour if I go up with an instructor to do something that doesn't feel fun anymore.

But you're all right that I may regret quitting down the line.

gently caress, IDK what to do. If I had more time in my life to enjoy the things I like and more money to do it with this wouldn't be such a problem.

Also I'm not the only person who's had a really poo poo landing at that airport this weekend. After my practice exam I was supposed to go flying but it was another gusty day. Not as bad as yesterday and well within my limits... until someone landed an amphibious Caravan with the wheels up. Now 31 is closed all day and the crosswind is so bad on the new active that some people are barely making it in, nobody's really taking off and some are even having to divert.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya. I'm gonna keep going.

Scary thing though is because of rescheduling my flight test is now Friday of next week.

A 23rd.

Now, I'm not superstitious, except for that loving day of the month. So far most of the cool things and most of the loving terrible things that have happened in my life happen on the 23rd.

So I'm either going to pass my checkride or it's going to really go badly.

EDIT: they usually go poo poo good poo poo good though.

Last 6:

- Got the job where I met my wife.
- Engaged
- Married (not planned btw, that just happened to be the day that worked)
- Lost the job and started the two years of pain and bullshit the flight sim crew knows allll about.
- Bought the best bike I've ever owned.
- Got hit by a car.

So next notable event to fall on a 23rd is gonna be a good one.

EDIT2: oh ya I also got engaged on a 23rd and married on a 23rd. So much for that pattern.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 12, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Written exam today. I feel totally unprepared for this. Also the bill for the dent in the plane is going to be less than $200 and I probably don't have to pay for the runway light.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
88%

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did my full checkride practice. I would have particalled it because I really sucked at the workflow for a precautionary landing because I'd only ever done it the one time during my training and never practiced since then.

And I stalled entering slow flight (lolwut, first time that's happened ever) because I've actually been practicing slow flight all wrong this entire time; with my flaps up. Apparently once I drop them to 25 it'll be so easy it'll be funny because I've had so much practice doing it in clean config.

Hopefully a little chair flying and a little practice and I'll have a PPL by next weekend.

EDIT: also, for the last couple of days I've been actually enjoying doing airplane things.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 19, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think a big contributor was my job going to poo poo, my bike being totalled by a car and and a few other stupid poo poo things all going on at the same time right when I was trying to knuckle down and study.

But I just got my insurance payout, used it to buy my bike back from the salvage auction and fixed for a pittance... along with another bike off the showroom floor, and the guy mostly responsible for my job going to poo poo getting fired, everything's starting to settle down so I can just chill and fly planes.

Im really having fun with this again.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
IIRC even at MF airports, if it isn't an actual control tower, the people manning the radio are there to advise only. In the end what you do is up to you. Radio procedures are mandatory but you can pick whatever runway you want.

Check out AIM RAC 4.5.2. The buzz words are 'Should' and 'Shall'. 'Should' in the legal aviation sense is 'we really want to you to do it this way but we aren't going to force you' and 'Shall' is 'if you don't do it this way we will loving ground you'

That being said, if you just go in and do whatever the gently caress you want you may hit another airplane and kill them and yourself. So in practice if you treat every 'should' as a 'shall' you're going to be the safer pilot.

EDIT: check this page https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/geninfo-generalinfo-116.htm and look for the section 'Mandatory and Permissive Words'

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 20, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It was legal. I wouldn't call that safe.

The part about a 1900 being hard to fly is BS. I've performed landings via overhead break in one Flying the notoriously unrealistic Carenado model in FSX.

EDIT: also if there's a published approach procedure IFR guys can be arriving on a straight in or circling approach.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/publications/en/tp11541/pdf/hr/tp11541e.pdf

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 20, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Practice day today :ohdear: I think I might actually spend some of that time just sight seeing and chill.

At least I have the V speeds memorized that I need to be able to rhyme off without glancing at the POH or it's an automatic fail before we even enter the cockpit.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Check ride cancelled due to WX. Jesus loving christ I just want to get this poo poo finished.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh my loving god what the gently caress is wrong with these people?

"South China Morning Post posted:

A flight from Shanghai to Guangzhou was delayed after an elderly woman passenger was suspected of throwing coins into the plane’s engine to ensure “good luck”, mainland media reported.

Passengers boarding the flight reportedly saw an elderly woman throwing coins at the engine for “blessings” from the middle of the boarding staircase and alerted the crew.

Ground staff said the woman, who appeared to be about 80 and had limited mobility, was accompanied by her husband, daughter and son-in-law.
After maintenance crew inspected the aircraft, they found nine coins in one engine.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If anything you'll just get really really really good at forced approaches.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
God drat it TC just shut down my flight school because their maintenance guy took a position with a different outfit and TC decided that the school didn't deserve the normal time period that operations are normally given to find replacement staff.

This is the second time TC has hosed them this year that I know of. First time was when they pulled the engine over hours exception that let them put on hours above normal operating life as long as they monitored oil consumption. We did loving monitor consumption on every engine and noted when we added oil, which was almost never, because the rings on all the planes are still perfect. What we didn't do was put a 'No oil added' entry in each daily. So they grounded the fleet and are making them install new engines.

Man, TC are a lot like the health and safety inspectors that go around to my wifes work sites; get one who burnt their toast that morning and your site is shut down for the dumbest poo poo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Transport Canada. They're fun haters.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
They should hopefully be online by Friday. IDK if I should reschedule my test because I'm not going to get any practice time or just go for it and hope I pass. My folks visit in two weeks and I really really wanted this poo poo done so I could take them flying.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Most likely doesn't matter they now apparently don't expect to sort this out until late next week. gently caress this poo poo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If poo poo went as wrong or generally was as difficult in flight simulators as it does and is in real aviation I might still find flight simulators interesting.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
2 hours was in the Redbird and like I said in a previous post I hate flying that thing because it makes me sick.

Also it sometimes has a habit of freezing up in a stupid way where half the panels become static and you partial or full flight control. I was demoing the sim for a bunch of people during women in aviation day and got to show some people how it is possible to fly an aircraft with nothing but throttle, rudder and trim if you really really have to.

What I didn't tell them is the last incident where I heard of that happening was when the T bar for the yoke on the very Cherokee I'm training on snapped on final approach a month or so before I started flying.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So after a kinda crappy mock test that got broken in half a month ago, the weather screwing with my test twice and then transport Canada shutting down my school for two weeks I finally got to flight test.

And failed the ground portion miserably due to forgetting a few things and cocking up a few things and being tired as poo poo and bogged down by a bunch of stuff which lead to a less than stellar studying environment and chronic fatigue.

Welp.

Fact is, aside from like a single solo outing that I had a little bit of fun with I haven't actually enjoyed anything related to aviation since I got back in the cockpit this spring and now I'm pretty much out of cash almost out of vacation days and quite frankly I'm sick and loving tired about having to spend time and money squeezing in airplane stuff around all the other stuff I actually do want to do with my time.

I mostly tried to finish this because my wife wants me to, and my instructor wants me to so he wouldn't have his instructor rating expire and require a refresher test, and a few other people wanted me to because they were hoping I'd take them for a joyride.

But this entire time, I haven't actually wanted to be in the cockpit.

So I'm not quitting, but I'm taking a break, because trying to finish this off when my heart really isn't in it definitely isn't working.

I'm pretty sure this is the right decision when after finding out I failed my ground portion one of the thoughts that went through my head was 'well at least now I don't have to fly today'.

At least I enjoyed the 60km ride home on my bicycle.

EDIT: and even if I do decide to quite outright the next person to say 'but what about all the money you spent already' is going to be force fed a printout of the Wikipedia article on sunk cost because if I'd just stopped after the first few flights I'd taken this year where I went 'yep not really enjoying this' I'd have a few thousand more in the bank and several more vacation days than I have left. Today alone cost me $425 and a vacation day and I didn't even leave the ground.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 18, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
They did do that, and they did try to correct some mistakes of mine.

The thing is, I did my mock test then there was an entire month that passed with very little flying due to Transport Canada fuckery and weather and me quite frankly having better things to do than think about airplanes.

The examiner did let both instructors know that they really do need to emphasize using the POH to work through things rather than external resources but the biggest thing that lead to my failure was the fact that since I tried to start this back up in the spring my head hasn't been in the game and as a result I just haven't had the drive to spend the necessary time keeping myself up to snuff.

That's why I'm taking a break for the time being. The fact is, aside from times where I essentially felt forced to think about airplanes at which point it became a frustrating and exhausting burden, I haven't had an inkling of a desire to think about airplanes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
In Canada there's always CASARA. I'm sure the USA has something similar where you can surround yourself mostly with grumpy olds with lots of money to burn.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whatever you do, make sure it's what you want to do and not what someone else wants you to do.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Slaughter posted:

Flight attendant, no. Gay pilot, yes.
Bad idea, would not recommend.

Lemme guess. The two of you hooked up and then he talked about work for loving ever.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dude I've been hearing of people getting right seat at Jazz with 200 hours. I'd just find some gig that'll get you building hours. Instructing is a lot of weird hours and days sitting around hoping your students don't flake again. Last time I asked one of the instructors at my school how the life was treating him he kinda got a dejected look on his face and said 'well, last paycheck I made $300..'.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Training at CYAV was ideal for this. Towered low traffic E airport just under a C (almost like a US C airport under a B) with a huge practice area and tons of both controlled and uncontrolled airspace to do whatever you need to do.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only reason why that guy is hosed is because in TYOOL 2017 the entire loving species seems to have lost it's sense of humor.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best cure for snoring is to not be fat. I used to snore like hell before dropping all that weight and now I don't snore at all.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya, some people just can't bring themselves to quit anything, even if it's time.

Speaking of which, I ran into the examiner that flunked me on my flight test. He was at the shop looking for ebike parts. After he realized that I held no hard feelings about him flunking me we caught up a bit; talked about flying, what went wrong that day, my subsequent decision to stop.

And then he said I should really do something to keep those skills alive in case I ever decided to get back in to it.

And said 'hey, do you have Microsoft flight simulator or something at home, it'd be a good way to practice a few things'.

Lol if only he knew how that part of my life started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Got an e-mail today from my flight school looking for me to pay off my balance.

Funny, when the e-mail came in I was in the middle of posting all my books and knee board and stuff as well as all my flight sim hardware for sale on Kijiji.

End of an era.