Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
You can change me from copilot to aircraft commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I see the next airline fiasco centering around the bathroom. On my flight to Paris on Aer Lingus, an elderly woman couldn't understand why she couldn't use the bathroom during turbulence. Obviously, arguing, speaking loudly, and gesturing to Irish stewardesses (Im assuming she couldn't understand them so thought they didn't speak English??) was the answer. She in turned tried to pick a fight during every drink service.

I'll give it to the head stewardess. She talked this woman down and was nothing but pleasant and completely pacified her.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Funny you mention that. The King Airs the Navy flies for flight school have one and a relief tube if you simply have to pee. If the Chem toilet is used, it has to be suctioned/cleaned/refilled and noted with a MAF. It's contained underneath a bench seat next to the door/stairs. No curtain. It does have a seatbelt and when you are trying to fill every seat, you use it as a seat. The Navy uses the flight school C-12 to fly students out to Roswell and El Paso for winter detachments when weather is lovely in coastal Texas-- move like 12 students at once and also get cross country training for a few at the same time.

One of my last flights from flight school I was reviewing the ADB and saw a passenger manifest from the last flight. 12 people-- drat, full flight. Next page? MAF for the chem toilet. Some bastard took a poo poo, no door or curtain, in a full King Air.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
There is a guy near MCAS New River that calls the base operations every night to complain. I know this because the tenet squadrons have a rotating duty in base operations during night flights.

This idiot built his house at the end of a runway of one of the most used helicopter out lying fields (old WW2 style A frame with a bunch of fields for CALs). If you spent ten minutes near where he lives at any time of day you'd be over flown by some kind of helicopter.

Now that being said a four-ship of MV-22s at 150 feet over your house at midnight, every night would either drive you insane or collapse your house eventually.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
This plane sounds like a hoot to fly

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Hey man, I'm glad you and your family are alive and okay. Thats a loving scary experience.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Do you have air stairs in your house? (No seriously. The jet bridge is inop)

have fun explaining this to your crew when The Ferret King asks you this before switching you to tower.

no but seriously he did this to me

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

On long flights I see how many controllers I can get to say "seeya" in the same obnoxious way I do when I go to switch channels. Sometimes they'll really get into it and it makes me happy.

soyya

Dude, you too? I take immense pleasure in obnoxious see ya's. the best see ya's come from Air Force controllers. those guys straight loving shout it into the mic

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Is it my imagination or do those taxiways look like they're as wide as the runway? Is that normal at large airports? Holy gently caress I have so much to learn before I actually get a job... :smith:

At large airports I feel like its easier to spot taxi-ways because they aren't nearly as wide as the runway. Small, WW2 style A-frame airports? Easy to spot the taxiway because of the geometry of the runways.

The most difficult is single runway airports with skinny runways. The taxiway and runway will end up being the same width and it takes a careful eye to spot the piano keys, numbers, or touch down zone bars to differentiate. That becomes infinitely more difficult at night-- especially at unlit fields or at lit fields on night vision goggles. I've lined up on a taxiway a few times and the airports always had the same characteristics-- single runway airfields with a parallel taxiway. The most notorious, I think, is the 29 Palms military field. I know multiple guys that have lined up on it wrong because of degraded paint on the runway itself.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I flew in 30G45 at Yuma once. Just take it all on the nose and you'll be fine. Trying to loving taxi was the hard part.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
well look at that fucker that flew right through the eye. what are the tops on a hurricane? I imagine its gotta be well above 45k'

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I think it's pretty stupid if you have the option to have a radio. It's an extra safety net you are avoiding.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

helno posted:

Something else to consider is that NORDO is the only way that deaf pilots can operate.

It would be kind of a dick move to not allow them to fly in uncontrolled airspace.

There are many situations where someone has a radio and it does not provide any assistance to situational awareness (wrong frequency, turned down, etc.)

Deaf people fly?

I personally think any sort of NORDO flying is not only unsafe but irresponsible. I fly 99% VFR so NORDO/ no squawk traffic scares the poo poo out of me. Maybe I just have a low tolerance for safety stuff but I'd never take off without a radio.

I mean I guess if you're flying from your local dirt strip to your farm and your 300' and below but even those guys talk on radios.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Deaf people and NORDO flying, another reason I avoid GA like the plague.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Can confirm NORDO flying is safe.

I feel safe when I'm completely ignorant of everything going on around me too

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
ATC will make you climb or cancel (I think). If you're VFR FF on a victor route they'll advise you to climb.

Just file 7000. Direct.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

overdesigned posted:

Hey, go ahead and add "Naval Aviator" to my name on the list, willya? Carrier qualified on the Lincoln yesterday.

Guess I oughta start looking into taking the tests to get my FAA instrument and commercial soon.

Congrats man! What are you putting in for? and what is everyone getting these days?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

overdesigned posted:

I asked for Harriers, and while I wouldn't say it's a Harrier *draft* they're definitely picking more of them than they are Hornet guys. F-35 is still mostly a non-issue at this point but supposedly in the coming months it'll grow.

Nice! Good luck! I hope you get the station you want. You have so many wonderful choices!!!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Pass is a pass. Nice work!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Wave offs are free

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

vessbot posted:

Bob A Feet, please tell about the collective/power lever on the V-22. Which way does it move? In airplane mode, it's blindingly obvious that they would make it like an airplane, forward=more power. And I'm sure they wouldn't make it reverse direction when it transitions to helicopter. Which means that in helicopter mode, it would be forward= collective up.

Now normal collectives are up/down instead of forward/back, and it seems to me that the more natural remapping would be that pulling up would be the same as pulling back (you're bending your elbow and pulling the lever toward yourself). But that would mean that on the V-22, back reduces collective, which would be backwards for helicopter guys!

Do I have this all right? If so, how do helicopter guys adjust to it?

yeah you have it right

Our "TCL" (thrust control lever) moves forward and backward, similar to any traditional fixed wing power control- forward is more power, back is less power. It operates in the same manner in helicopter/conversion mode-- forward increases collective pitch (forward is up), back decreases collective. You get into an interesting mix of control blending when you get halfway between helicopter and airplane. So yeah, it is slightly different for transitioning helicopter guys-- but I don't know of anyone who's had a problem with it. I've heard the phrase "collective dyslexia" in reference to helicopter guys who it doesn't translate to immediately.

honestly, hovering and helicopter stuff is super simple due to our flight control system. lots of transitioning pilots (EA-6B, Japanese and USN guys) have never flown helicopters and get it fine. I find it simpler than a conventional helicopter.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

this article is very accurate-- honestly looks like it was written by a v-22 pilot.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

AutisticAwl posted:

I’m debating if I should spend my paycheck on flying lessons. I’m 16 and not sure if I should just save it up for college and take the aeronautical course or just spend it now.

probably least popular opinion in this thread: college degree + commission + pilot contract

theres a few other mil pilots in this thread. I haven't paid a cent for all my flying experience. well except my soul but you can't put a monetary value on that. plus airlines love military pilots

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
What's the word on Trans State Airlines?

I literally know nothing about regionals but me and a bunch of my mil pilot buddies (all V22 guys) are getting out ranging from one year from now over the next three to four years. We're all trying to get into this juicy airline business and a few guys have offers here.

Thankfully, more airlines are valuing our "powered lift" hours as multiengine time too.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

The best cure for snoring is to not be fat. I used to snore like hell before dropping all that weight and now I don't snore at all.

the only people I know that snore are fat as gently caress

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Overdesigned, congrats on the solo! Never, ever, ever go on a MEU (aka on the amphibious ships).

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Ft*lb is a gross unit of energy a lot because it's the same unit as torsional force. Confuses a lot of people for that reason. But to answer the question, you can use that to figure out if the brakes will be large enough simply by knowing a vehicles mass and speed. E=1/2mV^2. If the energy of the vehicle is greater than the energy rating of the brake, you need a bigger brake.

When I’m slamming on the brakes trying not to run this bitch into the grass, I’m not thinking about all the words you just said.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

To be fair helicopter pilots are crazy.

DrDork posted:

AH-1W/Z everything up through WTO. So, the fun stuff that doesn't involve a <300hr boot trying to autorotate me into the ground at night.

I mean, don't get me wrong, all my C-130 brethren enjoy their flying. They just enjoy it in a notably different way.

e; And I'd probably have shived someone to get that UC-35 slot out of Andrews, but that's more for the fun of it than for the superior flying experience.

Well we got a skid guy and a Harrier guy, we’ve completed the triumvirate of USMC air faggotry. Anyone else counting down the days until they get out?

On a more serious note, lots of contractors paying big bucks for King Air pilots to fly in the nether regions of the world. What are your thoughts?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I’m four years into a whopping 8 year contract with no end of the fleet in sight. I, like 100% if company grade V22 guys I know, will get out and probably go to a regional. The contract gig just seems fun from an adventure standpoint. You’re also only really working half the year. But yeah that half of the year you’re sleeping a shipping container and flying circles of the assholes of the world. And I can’t do it forever either.

I’ve heard a rumor that if you captain at a regional and hang around you can get some sick nasty bonuses. True?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Jesus. gently caress that. How long does it take to make it out of a regional? The military transition poo poo sucks because I’m going in with minimal hours thanks to great USMC readiness.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

Turn on apu, turn on air, see smoke, shut down, go home, open beer, sit outside.

Happy Friday! Best job ever!

Sounds like the life of a military pilot. Except you just hurry and start the engines so you can shut off the APU.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Q400 can handle a loving loop? Pretty pro move on your first flight in the thing

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

azflyboy posted:

The Q400 is pretty overpowered at low altitudes and light weights (it's 10,000hp on an airplane weighing maybe 45,000lbs) and since there's a ton of lift from the prop wash over the wings on an airfoil that works quite well at low speeds, I can certainly see it being able to perform something like a loop.

That makes sense. It’s amazing he didn’t kill himself doing the lopsided maneuver he did at such a low altitude. I’m just amazed the thing could handle the Gs he pulled doing it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

RazNation posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong.......I think knowing how to fly would great. It is just the after party that I have issues with. Once I get my PPL, will I fly enough hours to justify owning a cheapo 152 or Mooney or chip into a fly-share for a better plane. I just need to think out the end-game. I doubt that I will fly commercial, not really interested in that. Guess I need to sit down and think it out.

Anyone remember when Harrison Ford landed on a taxiway instead of the runway? The pilots in the jet that he overflew were excited about seeing a vintage Husky landing so they were straining ahead trying to see him land. They never saw it land. The pilot looks out his window and sees the Husky motor-boating it down the taxiway instead. Then it dawned on them that he flew over them and landed.

Great recording of the ATC when it happened.

Man I love landing at big airports and seeing the taxiways that have "this is a taxiway" written on it in large letters.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...24!4d-71.011817

That being said at huge airports with triple parallels or huge taxiways, I have definitely lined up on the wrong one before. Easy problem to fix a few miles out. Not so easy when you're right over top of it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
My radio has a back up channel to monitor UHF and VHF guard so you get to hear a lot of good stuff. I’ve only heard the welcome aboard spiel a few times but you get to hear a lot of Air Force guys just say “GUAAAAAAARD” over UHF or other countries yell at you (in very angry voices) “unidentified aircraft, marking position XXX, squawking mode 3 xxxx, identify yourself and state intentions, you are flying in insert lovely country name here airspace.” Naturally they start hailing you like this like 100 miles out too.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

Pilot humor is terrible but I get it when you’re bored.

I count and see how many controllers I can get to say “SOIYA!!” on long trips. It’s fun. Am I an idiot? Totally.

This is my favorite game too. Loud obnoxious SEEEEEEYAAAAAAS.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

I have my first student going for a PPL flight test tomorrow. I'm 99% sure that right now I am more nervous than he is, and 100% sure that I'm more nervous now than waiting for any of my own flight tests. I assume this is like why people are afraid of flying because it's out of their control, not because it's dangerous.

Just guard the controls dog and you got it. That’s the secret of instructing. Keep it inside your comfort zone.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Cessna posted:

So if someone fails a checkride like that is it pretty much the end of their flying career?

From a military perspective, I've seen guys fail one check ride and washout of the training pipeline to be a pilot. At least in the Marine Corps, they are re-designated to some other MOS. I've also seen people fail numerous check rides and due to wants and needs, they remain. Hell, they're even out there today! Let that be comfort to you.

And, in the weirdness of the naval aviation training grading system (its a relative scoring system/sliding scale with an absolute minimum score), I've had friends pass every flight/check ride and still wash out!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Has pay gotten better at regionals on average with the pilot shortage? I got a few years before I can join one but I’m definitely not looking forward to a pay decrease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
So when I read that your guaranteed a certain amount of flight time a month, is more possible? With that plus things like per diem etc, it’s hard for me to get a grasp on just how much you actually make year one as an FO.